NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th September 2010, 21:50     #921
Lightspeed

Exit Through The Giftshop is a pretty unique film. It's not clear as to whether it's a work of fiction or a documentary, hilarious though.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:50     #922
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
That's what they say.

Watched Frozen last night; this is probably the most tension / fear I've felt in a movie that I can remember in recent times!
I thought it was quite good. I'm glad they had someone jump pretty early on, since I'd have been grumpy at them for not trying that. However, it did bug me that Lynch spent the whole movie in a jacket with a hood but he never puts the hood up...

I'm not sure about the reports of people throwing up and fainting when they saw this - there wasn't anything that hasn't been done before (though the leg snapping when whatshisname jumps was a nice touch).

I think it was very much "Jaws on a ski slope" - they almost went out of their way to make that point themselves.

Also: fuck going on a ski lift any time soon : )
Old 16th September 2010, 00:32     #923
dylan
Huh?

Ha - reckon. the guy landing on the ground and the other guy later climbing up and trying to slide along the cable (the first time) were pretty much equal for me in terms of tension / unease. I don't know what it was about this movie (or maybe it's just me that's a lot more in tune with my own sense of mortality as i get older :P) but I almost felt as if it was ME doing those things. I really felt the fear of sliding along that icy cable with them cutting into my hands and my oversized boots weighing me down the whole time...I felt the panic as I looked down and saw the jagged bone sticking out of my knees. Maybe it's because it's a relatively everyday situation that I can picture happening to me a lot more than like a zombie attack or something?

anywayyy... /rant

Fuck yea I want to watch Exit through the Gift Shop. One of my favourite memories of London is walking out of my flat on the Holloway Road and finding an actual Banksy piece spray painted down on the side of a building down a side street. Wasn't anything amazing in and of itself - an old man on a park bench holding a flower or something I think - but he wasn't all that well known back then and the fact I recognised it for what it was made me feel like I had actually experienced something "genuinely UK" - i.e. not going on the London Eye or standing outside Buckingham Palace - not that there's anything wrong with those things

Hmm..I used to work with a guy who had previously met Banksy for some reason in Bristol. I should ask him if it's actually him...cept he's probably sick of answering that question in recent months
Old 16th September 2010, 13:34     #924
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
The Expendables is the male equivalent of Eat Pray Love: a self-indulgent, crowd pleasing money maker.

If EPL is the tale of a 1st world twat finding spiritual enlightenment in dirt poor 3rd world without ever thinking of help those poor people (IT'S ALL ABOUT ME ME ME and ME), then The Expendables is the exact opposite, IN EVERY SENSE: a bunch of 1st world mercenaries helping to remove a 3rd world dictatorship, FOR FREE. And then shits blow up, people die, AGAIN AGAIN and... AGAIN. (AFAIK nothing dies in EPL, except lots of animals killed to make food.)

So both movies are morally bankrupt, but IMO EPL is the more degenerate one in comparison.
I loved how they strafed a quay full of generic bad guys with several machine guns of a hefty calibre, then blew them up with av-gas. JUST TO BE SURE. Only way that could've been more over the top was if Jason Statham had somehow killed one of them with a knife in the same strafing run.

Watched recently - Mr Nobody. Really can't decide if I like it or not. Has some good depictions of 'live events', but then it has a whole lot of artsy-wank, and a heaping helping of "hey, let's have Jared Leto pretend to be a scientist so we can explain our how 'parallel worlds' theory that we based the plot on".

When the lead actor has to explain the fucking plot using infographics, you're doing something wrong. Also - 3 hours of it was a bit much. But yeah, I liked parts of it.

What fucked me off though - Love of his life, spends years thinking about her, saving himself for her, and never once looks her up in the phone book? Ends up sleeping on a fucking park bench for years waiting for her, and never once opens a phone book to try and find her, or hire a private investigator.

Last edited by Cynos : 16th September 2010 at 13:36.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:52     #925
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Fuck yea I want to watch Exit through the Gift Shop. One of my favourite memories of London is walking out of my flat on the Holloway Road and finding an actual Banksy piece spray painted down on the side of a building down a side street.
I suspect you'll find the movie isn't quite what you're expecting. Which is part of the reason why it's so good.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:16     #926
GiBs

Cynos: in reference to the expendables, I bet that was in the first draft of the script too! Ahaah and what about the AA-12, rediculous!
Old 16th September 2010, 14:48     #927
Deadmeat

mmmm sausage
Old 16th September 2010, 22:19     #928
Juice

I'm sorry but Frozen was a complete pile of shit in every way I can hardly believe that it trumped The Expendables as the worst film I've seen in a long time.
Old 16th September 2010, 22:37     #929
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

have to agree, I watched frozen today and it was ok but I have felt more tension watching curb your enthusiasm
Old 17th September 2010, 09:24     #930
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
mmmm sausage
This sounds like the sort of film Simon should see. Diagonal or parallel?
Old 17th September 2010, 10:14     #931
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Diagonal or parallel?
Split down the middle, p01s0n style.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th September 2010, 10:20     #932
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Exit Through The Giftshop is a pretty unique film. It's not clear as to whether it's a work of fiction or a documentary, hilarious though.
yep, watched this last week, it is an excellent film indeed
Old 17th September 2010, 10:22     #933
tarzan007

The Expendables was an atrocious film! Only good part was the scene near the start with Arnie, Bruce Willis and Sly when they say Sly just likes running through the jungle and Arnie just wants to be President.

Rest of it was a waste of time and money...
Old 17th September 2010, 10:54     #934
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

^^^ agreed. i was like "wtf am i watching? this is utter tripe"
Old 17th September 2010, 11:24     #935
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
^^^ agreed. i was like "wtf am i watching? this is utter tripe"
+2

I did like the fuel bombing run trick at the startish .. that was cool/newish ... rest zzzzzzzzzzz
Oh and the use of the AA12 ... cause I'm a fan and want to own one (come on collectors licence).

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 17th September 2010, 14:02     #936
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiBs
Cynos: in reference to the expendables, I bet that was in the first draft of the script too! Ahaah and what about the AA-12, rediculous!
I loved how they used the shot from the tunnel where the guy sees all the bad dudes moving laterally at high speed followed by the AA-12 toting fellow.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:30     #937
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
+2

I did like the fuel bombing run trick at the startish .. that was cool/newish ... rest zzzzzzzzzzz
Oh and the use of the AA12 ... cause I'm a fan and want to own one (come on collectors licence).
What's the rules around duck shooting? Do they limit the style of shotgun you can use? If not, then that would be both totally ludicrous and awesome.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:28     #938
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
What's the rules around duck shooting? Do they limit the style of shotgun you can use? If not, then that would be both totally ludicrous and awesome.
Same as any other rifle as far as I'm aware? I honestly don't pay much attention to duck shooting laws tho ... I'm keener on target or bush, or country style "anything that fucking moves"

If your licenced to use it ... your good to go as far as I know tho.

I've been out shooting with some of my higher certed mates, cruising round with Chinese Ak's, no worries ... I know one of them is keen as mustard to get an AA12 however (And they are dead sexy guns, 8 round mag no recoil ... so bollocks)

So can't shoot an AK like the movies.... I can however shoot it like a crazed somalian ... aka shitloads of bullets ... 0 hits.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 17th September 2010, 17:05     #939
crocos

Quote:
So can't shoot an AK like the movies.... I can however shoot it like a crazed somalian ... aka shitloads of bullets ... 0 hits.
Nice

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th September 2010, 18:09     #940
Cynos

Quote:
Same as any other rifle as far as I'm aware? I honestly don't pay much attention to duck shooting laws tho ... I'm keener on target or bush, or country style "anything that fucking moves"

If your licenced to use it ... your good to go as far as I know tho.

I've been out shooting with some of my higher certed mates, cruising round with Chinese Ak's, no worries ... I know one of them is keen as mustard to get an AA12 however (And they are dead sexy guns, 8 round mag no recoil ... so bollocks)

I find myself continually fighting this urge - I want a centrefire for deer hunting, and technically, a Chinese semi-auto M14 knock-off is a centrefire...
Old 17th September 2010, 22:00     #941
Sirens Song

Don't do it, they're so shit for anything other than going "DEERRRRP, I'VE GOT A MILITARY RIFLE DERRRRP!!"
You want to actually hit & take down what you're aiming at? Get a nice Sako.
You want a fun and challenging military rifle to fire? Get an old 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
Old 18th September 2010, 08:42     #942
_Incubus_

Salt was a massive load of bullshit, Angelina is such a shit actress....in every movie where she is foreign she puts on one fucking ridiculous fake accent that sounds like a a drunk Scottish woman with a lisp....GRRRRR
Old 18th September 2010, 08:52     #943
[Malks] Pixie

Watched "Exam" last night, really enjoyed it (though I actually think the ending is a little drawn out) - reminded me a lot of cube in it's premise and the way it played out. Still good film - glad I watched it...

Today gonna try and finish watching "Big Man Japan", which is fun, in a serious mockumentary kind of way - sort of a Japaneese take on the whole superhero thing. Also thinking of watching "Saulte of the Jugger" again, just for it's awesomeness.

Pixie
Old 19th September 2010, 23:05     #944
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

The Experiment.. I haven't watched or heard about the original version, so I had no idea what it was about. It certainly seemed promising at times, but the ending was quite disappointing..a bit of an anticlimax really..although I suppose it couldn't really have ended any other way...
Old 19th September 2010, 23:09     #945
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

i thought it was shit. promising, then just loads of fail. should've been at least 2 hours long.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:14     #946
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I recently saw another Adrien Brody movie, Splice, and at the beginning of "The Experiment" when they showed close up of cells under a microscope I thought it was going to be another science one with a chance for him to fuck some weird creaturehehe

Last edited by Pepsi : 19th September 2010 at 23:16.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:18     #947
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

splice was pretty ok i thought. my favourite part was when he fucked it

actually, i watched splice because you mentioned it. somewhere here, a page or so ago.

edit: whenever i see adrien brody, i find myself staring at his nostrils. ridiculously big.

Last edited by Warrick : 19th September 2010 at 23:19.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:20     #948
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

watching Louis C K Hilarious 2010 HDTV XviD-FQM atm, many lawlz to be had.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:45     #949
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
whenever i see adrien brody, i find myself staring at his nostrils. ridiculously big.
Me too man.. me too...
Old 20th September 2010, 15:48     #950
BathTub

The Marine 2 is fairly average C-grade action flick. Then Temuera Morrison shows up as the Thai Terrorist Leader. Provided a few lols.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 20th September 2010, 16:44     #951
Caesar

Quote:
edit: whenever i see adrien brody, i find myself staring at his nostrils. ridiculously big.
His whole nose is fucken big man.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:59     #952
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Salt was a massive load of bullshit, Angelina is such a shit actress....in every movie where she is foreign she puts on one fucking ridiculous fake accent that sounds like a a drunk Scottish woman with a lisp....GRRRRR
Doesn't surprise me, saw the trailer and thought i'd definitely avoid it :D
Old 20th September 2010, 17:28     #953
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
The Experiment.. I haven't watched or heard about the original version, so I had no idea what it was about. It certainly seemed promising at times, but the ending was quite disappointing..a bit of an anticlimax really..although I suppose it couldn't really have ended any other way...
Original is damn good IMHO.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 20th September 2010, 17:47     #954
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Aftershock. just watched this last night. its a story about a chinese family torn apart by the 1976 Tangshan earthquake. i absolutely loved it.
Old 21st September 2010, 00:29     #955
iiNEMESISii

just watched the movie "unthinkable"

wow is all I can...
Old 21st September 2010, 11:31     #956
herp

Just watched 'The Secret in Their Eyes.' Won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film this year (beating out 'Un Prophete'). I didn't think it could be better than Un Prophete but fuck it was good.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:49     #957
Lord Pidgington

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Just watched 'The Secret in Their Eyes.' Won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film this year (beating out 'Un Prophete'). I didn't think it could be better than Un Prophete but fuck it was good.
I saw this a few months ago, and found it failed to live up to its hype. Acting is brilliant, and I love the way it's shot, but it's the dual plotline is frustrating. Were it a thriller on its own I'd have probably been content, but the romance plot (which given the ending, is ultimately the predominant one) is ludicrous and cheesy. This movie will play on the heartstrings of the naive and foolish, and, given its target demographic as an audience it'll invariably achieve widespread acclaim as a result.

The train chasing scene had me in tears of laughter, and the final, predictable scenes to close out the romance plotline helped ensure that my final impression of the film was a poor one.

That said, the drunkard character stemmed much of the bleeding from this romance induced hemmoraging, and for that I'll conclude on a 7/10.

Last edited by Lord Pidgington : 21st September 2010 at 15:50.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:44     #958
chiQ
Frag-muff

It bugs me how often utterly redundant love stories are injected into otherwise perfectly good plots. There seems to be some lame myth in the film industry that chicks need love stories to watch films.
Old 25th September 2010, 23:00     #959
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a bit of a let down for me.. I watched all of the original films and remember feeling on edge, for most of the early ones at least.. but I guess I just got older and so he's not as scary

Initially I didn't realise the movie was a "re-imagining" of the original.. just thought it was a continuation, until I realised Nancy was one of the main characters.
Old 27th September 2010, 01:02     #960
fidgit
Always itchy

I had assumed the remade Nightmare was a flop when I hadn't heard anything at all after all the build up. The trailers looked quite cool - the scene in the diner trying to stay etc.

I finally watched The Expendables. I give it a 6/10 - it was fun, but stupid. My favourite part was the cameo in the church, which I was surprised hadn't been ruined by anyone for me.