Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12th April 2010, 15:47     #601
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
^ checking out IMDB reviews, and first five pages are all 1-4 star reviews, with only two 10/10. In fact, it looks really bad... might download this one.
I always go by the overall user rating, in this case it's currently 7.9 - i do look at the user reviews if I'm really on the fence
Old 12th April 2010, 16:00     #602
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

I watched The Hurt Locker(well before the Oscar nominees were announced) because a mate of mine with exceptional taste in movies recommended it and said it would clean up at the Oscars, and if he says something is the business it's the business.

I watched it, thought it was OK.. 6.5/10, would never watch again.

I told him that, he loled and said I was useless ;>
Old 12th April 2010, 16:09     #603
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
authenticity.
Watched it with the flatmate who is also ex-military. Some segments we just couldn't stop ourselves from laughing.

The worst thing about all this, is now shes going to make another movie *shudder*

I'd give it a 2.5 / 10. and thats just because I got to have a laugh.

Last edited by Reformed_Quint : 12th April 2010 at 16:10.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:05     #604
Bandalador

Haha at Ab's comments on anything American (bar Apple). You can set your watch to that drivel.

I didn't think it was great at all. I saw it before the hype (thank God) so I wasn't expecting anything but it's worth the watch. I definitely wouldn't recommend it but I wouldn't slag it off too much either.
It's a meh.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:07     #605
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
Haha at Ab's comments on anything American (bar Apple). You can set your watch to that drivel.
I also like Sam Adams beer.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:25     #606
gentle

*sets watch*

Last edited by gentle : 12th April 2010 at 17:27.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:37     #607
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Watched it with the flatmate who is also ex-military. Some segments we just couldn't stop ourselves from laughing.

The worst thing about all this, is now shes going to make another movie *shudder*

IMO it was a pity Oscar. James Cameron divorced her meanly or something.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:11     #608
Lightspeed

I thought it was a really good movie, mainly because of the performance of Jeremy Renner.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:47     #609
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
IMO it was a pity Oscar.
I assumed a lot of dick was sucked.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:29     #610
Drgnfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I also like Sam Adams beer.
I must admit that it is a nice drop, many many years since I last had any though
Old 13th April 2010, 10:15     #611
_Incubus_

We saw Clash of the Titans in 3D last night, what a waste of $45. The story hardly made any sense and struck me as a lame hollywood remake that tried so hard to add in add in elements of cool and change things up to make it stand apart from the original movie. for fucks sake going to the underworld to find medusa errr ok, and then everything works out all fine when the Pegasus turns up where no living thing may enter..errr ok....It also makes me fume that fucking hollywood insists on showing Hades as the equivalent of Hell, whereas Hades was the only afterlife for the Greeks and certainly wasnt the fire filled endless torture that hollywood loves...Oh and Sam Worthington gets a 3/10 for the aussie accent and wooden performance.

Last edited by _Incubus_ : 13th April 2010 at 10:16.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:41     #612
herp

Quote:
She directed Point Break so STFU.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:56     #613
Fred

Quote:
Selective quoting for the win! I said it had an air of authenticity, not that it was authentic. Frankly if any soldier pulled even a fraction of the reckless shit James does in the film I'd want his ass pulled up firmly. Especially the assinine stupidity of the lone haji hunt in the back third of the film.

Quote:
And therein I think is the answer to your dislike of the film. You are looking at it from the point of view of having some military experience. It is kinda like watching any Hollywood movie involving programmers is usually an exercise in pain for me because familiarity with the discipline being shown causes cognative dissonance.

That said even knowing that this isn't how the military operates the film still creates tension and gives a glimpse into a mindset well. That is what it gets kudos for and it does it in a way that anyone not associated with the military will find feels gritty and real.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:58     #614
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
She also did 'Strange Days' and 'Wild Palms' both of which are well regarded bits of work.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:38     #615
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
And therein I think is the answer to your dislike of the film.
Possibly, but i've watched other warry films and had a good time watching it.
(Band of Brothers shell scrapes _always_ bugged me though , was well pleased to see The Pacific with propper holes).
Old 13th April 2010, 12:18     #616
lektronimo

I'm a history buff somewhat, and the thing which upsets me the most is when Hollywood rapes foreign mythologies with a broken broom stick. I'm afraid to watch Clash of the Titans for that reason alone... has it been true to Greek mythology, or is a Transformers 3?
Old 13th April 2010, 12:31     #617
Juju
get to da choppa

Getting all angry over movies that don't depict war in a true manner is like getting angry when supposed tech movies start using a GUI interface using visual basic to track the killers IP address.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:43     #618
drac0s

was always impressed that the first matrix movie used a real ssh exploit to do something, can't remember what exactly but it was a well known exploit at the time.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:43     #619
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Getting all angry over movies that don't depict war in a true manner is like getting angry when supposed tech movies start using a GUI interface using visual basic to track the killers IP address.
I don't think The Hurt Locker was bad just because of how unrealistic it was. But everything about it sucked, storyline meandered randomly, acting was _terrible_ the special effects were way to 'OMG WATCH THIS DUDES, ITS SWEET', like the shell case falling, very cliche`.

I think i've hammered enough on this point; if you enjoy watching a good movie, don't watch The Hurt Locker.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:08     #620
Vandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
We saw Clash of the Titans in 3D last night, what a waste of $45.

Hah yeah it was crap as. I ended up taking my glasses off part way through the movie as it was less blurry with them off and unlike wearing dark sunglasses inside.

Boy was screening at the same time - should have gone and seen that!
Old 13th April 2010, 13:13     #621
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Anyone else seen Clash of the Titans? Reviews?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:24     #622
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Anyone else seen Clash of the Titans? Reviews?
Its ok. Pretty much the original with extra pretty minus the artistry of Ray Harryhausen.

Dont bother with the 3D version as just like Alice its post-production 3D and not worth the effort. When it comes to 3D the only films that you should see in 3D are the ones shot in 3D.

I'd give CoT 6.5/10. Big dumb fun with lots of monsters (subtract 1.5 for the 3D version as it will only irritate you)
Old 13th April 2010, 14:45     #623
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal
Hah yeah it was crap as. I ended up taking my glasses off part way through the movie as it was less blurry with them off and unlike wearing dark sunglasses inside.

Boy was screening at the same time - should have gone and seen that!
You're an egg!
Old 13th April 2010, 16:04     #624
Fx.

watched how to train your dragon in 3d the other day, quite a laugh
Old 13th April 2010, 16:26     #625
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
Was this shot in 3D?
Old 13th April 2010, 16:27     #626
[fe]

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:07     #627
doppelgänger of someone

500 days of summer, I ask thee NZG, yay or nay?
Old 15th April 2010, 15:10     #628
Bandalador

Zooey Deschanel means no.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:25     #629
HughMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Was this shot in 3D?
It's an animated feature, I don't think they shoot it at all, I think they render it?
Old 15th April 2010, 16:04     #630
gentle

A movie about dragons animated? say it ain't so.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:08     #631
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
I'm a history buff somewhat, and the thing which upsets me the most is when Hollywood rapes foreign mythologies with a broken broom stick. I'm afraid to watch Clash of the Titans for that reason alone... has it been true to Greek mythology, or is a Transformers 3?
Old 19th April 2010, 21:48     #632
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

watching Harrison Ford/Brendon Fraser's(lol) latest. Brendon's meant to be in his 40s now, father stz. So lol, I keep seeing him as a bogan caveman. checked iMDB and lol'd at the money he's earnt.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:32     #633
lektronimo

Brandon Fraser was on Graham Norton Show last nite on UKTV (sky). You can still catch it. He's a fucking funny dude.
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:42     #634
Simon K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
Enjoyed it
Old 25th April 2010, 16:47     #635
xin

Cellda 211 (or Cell 211).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242422/

Spanish film about a prison riot. Guard gets caught up in the middle, plays pretend, yada yada.

Pretty good. Gritty, some bits were unexpected, would recommend.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:25     #636
Flamen

Falling Down [1992]

"I'm going home," Foster says as he abandons his gridlocked car on the hottest day of the year. Instead, he walks straight into an urban nightmare by turns absurdly funny and shatteringly violent. Michael Douglas is Foster, an ordinary guy at war with the frustrations of daily living. Robert Duvall is the savvy cop obsessed with stopping Foster's city-wide rampage.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:36     #637
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
500 days of summer
WORST KIND of sentimental crap that's been coming out of Hollywood since God knows when.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:04     #638
davx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
You're an egg!
What a crap movie... I was expecting some comedy from this NZ made film. I wish I had watched it at night, because I will never get those hours of sunlight back.
I think that I chuckled about 2 maybe 3 times throughout the movie.. the rest was spent hoping it would finish.

I think I enjoyed this way more than that whole movie.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:29     #639
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davx
What a crap movie... I was expecting some comedy from this NZ made film. I wish I had watched it at night, because I will never get those hours of sunlight back.
I think that I chuckled about 2 maybe 3 times throughout the movie.. the rest was spent hoping it would finish.
I really enjoyed it (Boy, that is). Comedy fell away completely by the end, the last 20mins was a yawn. But overall I thought it was pretty solid. Based in the year I was born, too mean!
Old 26th April 2010, 12:45     #640
lektronimo

Saw Mýrin (Jar City) last night. Really good thriller from Iceland, and it also reminded me of Let The Right One In for some reason... must be the cold setting.