Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th March 2016, 12:20     #40081
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
for a derp like me, can someone explain whats actually going on here? i dont understand how this AI is supposed to "work"
I think it worked exactly how it was meant to.
It learnt to talk like others by listening to what people said and how they spoke.
Old 29th March 2016, 13:22     #40082
StN
I have detailed files

Plus there was a phrase that coud prefix a question which basically made it parrot it back - which is where most of the inflammatory stuff came from. Although there is some suggestion that some of the more fascist statements may have been learned from this process.
Old 1st April 2016, 09:34     #40083
MadMax
Stuff

Paygate

I can't get over how much of a clusterfuck this pay problem has become.

I thought it was common knowledge that generally, unless your weekly pay stays absolutely static, your pay rate while on leave should be slightly higher than your usual pay rate due to taking on extra hours, bonuses etc
Old 1st April 2016, 19:17     #40084
StN
I have detailed files

What I can't understand is why the old DoL is neck deep in it. Our pay system was audited 3-4 years ago and found a problem so they sorted it - erring on the side of caution, and most staff received a bit of back pay. Do the Govt Dept.s not have such quality control systems?
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:48     #40085
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Do the Govt Dept.s not have such quality control systems?
Heh, a question for the ages.
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:32     #40086
Cyberbob

Buying a TV... 4K worth it? 100hz refresh worth it?

Looking at mid 40's size, nothing extreme.
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:14     #40087
Nothing

I don't think anything over 1080p is really worth it, unless you have considerably better than 20/20 vision. I find it hard to believe you'd have any success distinguishing any increased detail beyond 1080p. I have a hard time telling the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I can tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz though. Having said that, the difference between 60hz and 100hz or 120hz on an LCD or Plasma of any type is a very different proposition from the difference between 60hz and 120hz on a CRT. IMO with CRT the difference is worth it just to make the visible flicker that comes from a 60hz display go away. But you don't get that visible flicker from a 60hz, or even 50hz LCD display.

AFAIK with the vast majority of LCDs the refresh rate isn't about the backlight, it's about the pixel response time. If it was to do with the backlight it might be noticeable, since that would be similar to the scan-line update refresh on a CRT. But since it's not, and the backlight is almost always continuous, it just doesn't really make any difference unless you have more frames to make the higher refresh rate useful.

If you're just using it as a TV it's probably not going to make any difference having a higher refresh rate, because pretty much everything you'll ever watch on it will most likely be in 30 frames per second or thereabouts anyway. If you're planning to do some gaming on it, on the other hand, then it might be worth it, since you could conceivably get 60 or even 120+ frames a second in some games. I really notice the extra frames in games if I have enough refresh rate on the monitor, but it makes no difference for watching TV shows.

Having said all that, everything up to this point has basically been theoretical. You should probably sit down and watch something on the 60hz screen, and do the same on the 100hz screen, and see if you notice any difference. If you don't, then it doesn't matter. If you do, then get the one you prefer.

Last edited by Nothing : 2nd April 2016 at 19:16.
Old 3rd April 2016, 05:40     #40088
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 3rd April 2016, 10:32     #40089
MadMax
Stuff

whatever you do, do not watch back to the future on blu-ray.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:39     #40090
MadMax
Stuff

This guy

https://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:57     #40091
crocos

Sup?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:56     #40092
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:59     #40093
pxpx

I don't get it? does that link to the last FB profile you logged in as?
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:02     #40094
CCS
Stunt Pants

Page not found.
Old 4th April 2016, 10:21     #40095
Jodi

LOL, get a brand new 4k TV, only do watch low bitrate TV movies that have big ass squares in them anyway. What's the point?
Old 4th April 2016, 11:11     #40096
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
That guys a dick. Wait, that link sends me to my page.
Crap, I'm a dick.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:55     #40097
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
LOL, get a brand new 4k TV, only do watch low bitrate TV movies that have big ass squares in them anyway. What's the point?
Or watch 1080 content on it, have it upscale to 4K which seems to add greater brightness and clarity to it.

The 4k screens appear to be much brighter and have deeper darks than equivalent 1080 panels.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:29     #40098
blynk

Any idea who the prominent new zealander with name suppression is?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7851...ander-on-trial
Old 4th April 2016, 15:30     #40099
Lightspeed

Prominent enough that I would want to avoid any awkwardness for the forum admins by posting it here.
Old 4th April 2016, 18:32     #40100
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Any idea who the prominent new zealander with name suppression is?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7851...ander-on-trial
Quote:
The High Court trial got underway on Monday morning in Whangarei
Old 4th April 2016, 18:41     #40101
StN
I have detailed files

Been a long time since we heard from Quint...
Old 4th April 2016, 21:50     #40102
madmaxii

Old 4th April 2016, 22:49     #40103
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

For a second there I thought I was in the Random Politics thread.
Old 5th April 2016, 08:35     #40104
crocos

Damn. Crazy-shoes is OLD today. Happy 36th.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th April 2016, 09:35     #40105
CCS
Stunt Pants

So old
Old 5th April 2016, 16:30     #40106
MadMax
Stuff

What is with all the goddamn IT marketing calls lately?
Old 5th April 2016, 16:40     #40107
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So old
Get off our lawn!
Old 5th April 2016, 16:51     #40108
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So old
Nearly there.
Old 9th April 2016, 15:42     #40109
Nothing

All this automation stuff seems to be taking hold faster and faster:
A Fleet of Self-Driving Trucks Just Completed a 1,000-Mile Trip Across Europe.
Old 10th April 2016, 11:31     #40110
pxpx

Have a job offer to go back to my old company.

It's a marginal payrise; but there are broader responsibilities, more opportunity (to move sideways and up), a bigger team to work with and the technology stack is more advanced than what my current company has in place. It's also only 2.5km from home, and I've got a baby due in 5 weeks.

However, my current job is really good. and my boss (who I've known for many years & am friends with) is great, so I feel like I'd be leaving him in the lurch. There are some interesting things happening, but it's a much smaller company so there are less opportunities in general, I'm also the only person in my team doing what I do, which is isolating. It's in the city so commuting is 30-60min each way.

Money isn't the motivating factor which is making this decision quite difficult.
Old 10th April 2016, 12:38     #40111
CCS
Stunt Pants

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time with either company?
Old 10th April 2016, 14:33     #40112
pxpx

I don't see myself sticking around for 5 years at the current place, that's for sure. Then again, I didn't see myself leaving after 'only' 2 years. The other company yeah I could see myself there in 5 years.

Last edited by pxpx : 10th April 2016 at 14:37.
Old 10th April 2016, 16:25     #40113
CCS
Stunt Pants

To me, that's answered your question right there.

I get that you're mates with your current boss, but you've gotta leave that out of it and think about what's best for you and your family. If your current boss is a true friend, he'll understand that it's nothing personal. Besides, you're giving, what, 4 weeks notice? Sounds like plenty of time to train up a replacement.
Old 10th April 2016, 21:09     #40114
Know me.

I'm wondering how genetically these two people would be different. These people have the same mother and father. The mothers unfertilised egg is identical between them. The fathers sperm is different.

Same as how someone would be if a different sperm got through to the egg.
Old 10th April 2016, 22:56     #40115
MadMax
Stuff

It's also only 2.5km from home

i gotta say, living and working in palmy means only a couple of km between work n home. combined with a one hour lunch break means i get a good chunk of my break at home. oh yeah, palmy traffic -- if you avoid the what three busy roads that can get choked it's sweet. hell i can get a haircut on the way home and still have time for bacon in my own kitchen

Last edited by MadMax : 10th April 2016 at 22:59.
Old 11th April 2016, 09:12     #40116
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
I'm wondering how genetically these two people would be different. These people have the same mother and father. The mothers unfertilised egg is identical between them. The fathers sperm is different.

Same as how someone would be if a different sperm got through to the egg.
Say what now?
Old 12th April 2016, 13:03     #40117
Lightspeed

Fuck being a juror on a case like this:
Prominent New Zealander trial: Jury at 'stalemate'

There are no easy answers, but I don't think the victims should present evidence in a case like this. Their claims should be assessed and presented by experts instead.
Old 12th April 2016, 14:37     #40118
blynk

Well it appears that they ones that thought he did it have now converted and decided he did not do it.
Prominent New Zealander trial: Not guilty

My google-fu is failing me. Still can't find out who it is, but oh well. Come tomorrow, I won't care

Last edited by blynk : 12th April 2016 at 14:38.
Old 12th April 2016, 17:58     #40119
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Well it appears that they ones that thought he did it have now converted and decided he did not do it.
Prominent New Zealander trial: Not guilty

My google-fu is failing me. Still can't find out who it is, but oh well. Come tomorrow, I won't care
You could join the dots and think of what happened in that location around that time. I would imagine it was big news, and caused quite a kerfuffle.
Old 15th April 2016, 13:31     #40120
Cyberbob

Tauranga people.. What's your daily commute like?