NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th January 2019, 23:01     #201
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Set aside an hour or so and listen to this Sam Harris talk about social media manipulation and more with information researcher Renée DiResta. Seriously, do it.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/145-information-war/

Interview proper starts at about 10:18.
Old 17th January 2019, 14:38     #202
Cyberbob

I have a face recognition AI with plenty of data, but now want to build age progression extrapolation algorithms, able to identify people with only a limited number of images from when they were younger. How can I gather the images, and QA them for accuracy to train the algorithm as fast as possible?

I know, ask the millions of users to post "then and now" images themselves!

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th January 2019 at 14:40.
Old 18th February 2019, 15:45     #203
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Study blames YouTube for rise in number of Flat Earthers
Conspiracy theories shown on video-sharing site persuade people to doubt Earth is round

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-flat-earthers
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:04     #204
Lightspeed

Arcade Channels: Lying For Views

I like this guy's humour.
Old 6th March 2019, 15:17     #205
Nich

Joe Rogan Experience #1258 - Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde & Tim Pool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZCBRHOg3PQ

Twitter addresses the recent high profile accounts removed from twitter, what constitutes abuse, doxing, et al.
Old 15th March 2019, 00:00     #206
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Facebook's Data Deals Are Under Criminal Investigation
Old 18th March 2019, 20:45     #207
MadMax
Stuff

neil finn quits social media over christchurch terror attacks
Old 18th March 2019, 20:51     #208
pxpx

He'll be back. But way to put your head in the sand I spose
Old 19th March 2019, 13:02     #209
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Nunes files defamation suit against Twitter
Old 27th March 2019, 13:47     #210
Nich

In the age of 99.999% data retention policies, and decentralised data storage powered by blockchain, this is what the world needs:

Don’t be afraid of the digital dustbin
https://unherd.com/2019/03/dont-be-a...gital-dustbin/

Quote:
We might add that there are good commercial and moral reasons that big data should have a limit on how much information it can hold on us and for how long. Though we should also note the irony that we zoom between being outraged at the amount of information social media companies hold on us, and stricken at the idea that they might lose our precious data.

MySpace data loss: Botched server migration prompts user concerns over fate of lost songs
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...-of-lost-songs

How dare you hold all my data! Also, how dare you lose all my data!
Old 1st April 2019, 15:18     #211
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mike "Fuck You, Pay Me" Monteiro:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...eed-to-burn-it

Quote:
We designed and built platforms that undermined democracy across the world. We designed and built technology that is used to round up immigrants and refugees and put them in cages. We designed and built platforms that young, stupid, hateful men use to demean and shame women. We designed and built an entire industry that exploits the poor in order to make old rich men even richer.

If your reply is that we didn’t design and build these things to be used this way, then all I can say is that you’ve done a shit job of designing them, because that is what they’re being used for. These monsters are yours, regardless of what your intentions might have been.

We can’t control every way that people use the tools we build, but that doesn’t make us any less responsible for them. I realize you didn’t build these monsters on your own, but regardless of how many people’s parts your monster is made from, the fingerprints will always be your own.

The machine we’ve built is odious. Not only can we not participate in its operation, nor passively participate, it’s now on us to dismantle it. It was built on our watch and it needs to burn on our watch. When a platform we designed and built to connect people across the world is used to doxx the parents of murdered children, and the people who run it refuse to do anything about it; when they refuse to fix it because they don’t see it as a problem; when they attempt to justify the profits with which they’re lining their pockets as values, we need to burn it to the ground.
Old 1st April 2019, 15:28     #212
Lightspeed

How do we do that without also doing what upsets us in this thread?
Old 1st April 2019, 15:42     #213
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How do we stop using this toxic generation of white American male social media apps without letting the NZ Labour Party hastily revise free speech law?
Old 1st April 2019, 16:03     #214
Lightspeed

Oh my mistake. I thought you didn't like impinging on free speech. What you mean is you don't like that change coming about "hastily".

Is that what I've missed? Cause otherwise, I don't see the difference.
Old 1st April 2019, 16:33     #215
Nich

Aren't we lucky that such articles weren't written about the V2 Rocket before NASA got hold of the technology. No one -- not even a mexican, transgender, dwarf, double amputee -- could have envisioned what a weaponised social media platform looks like. So now that we've looked the devil right in the eyes, can we not adapt the technology for the betterment of humanity? Like we've done before. At least it's easier to say "Thank you Dorsey, Zuckerberg for getting us this far" than it is to say "Thank you, Nazis"

Last edited by Nich : 1st April 2019 at 16:35.
Old 2nd April 2019, 14:44     #216
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
On multiple occasions, years-old public posts made by the 34-year-old billionaire chief executive that were previously public and reported on by news outlets at the time have since vanished, Business Insider has found. That includes all of the posts he made during 2007 and 2008. Reached for comment, a Facebook spokesperson said the posts were "mistakenly deleted" due to "technical errors." "A few years ago some of Mark's posts were mistakenly deleted due to technical errors. The work required to restore them would have been extensive and not guaranteed to be successful so we didn't do it," the spokesperson said in a statement.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...19-3?r=US&IR=T
nothing to see here.

edit - oh lol

Quote:
In April 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram – a now-pivotal moment in the growth of the Menlo Park, California technology giant. Multiple news reports from the time quoted from a public post that Zuckerberg made on his timeline about the acquisition – but that post now inaccessible.

The links to that post from old news articles no longer work, and it’s nowhere to be seen on his profile.

It was an important document in the history of Facebook, particularly given Zuckerberg promised that “we’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently” – a commitment he has since walked back. Facebook is now integrating the photo-sharing app into itself ever-more closely, and tensions around this contributed to the departure of Instagram’s two cofounders in September 2018.
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:04     #217
Cyberbob

Also: Facebook are Panasonic Freeze-Ray's biggest customer.

Freeze-Ray is a cloud based optical storage solution based on Blu-Ray, which once written to, is there forever. It's designed for "write once, ready many" applications, which allows customers (like Facebook), to keep data forever, for the sole purpose of having an infallible archive of everything ever captured (by Facebook).

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3019...e-systems.html

Last edited by Cyberbob : 2nd April 2019 at 16:05.
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:20     #218
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

nope, that can't be true, because posts to Facebook get mistakenly deleted due to technical errors even when they're by the CEO of the company. Facebook said so.
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:09     #219
pxpx

lol that even Zuck believes in #deletefacebook
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:01     #220
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Youtube monetises extremism, no matter the subject.

Quote:
The digital scholar Zeynep Tufekci has written about YouTube’s role as an engine of radicalization. She retells watching Donald Trump videos and then being pointed toward “white supremacist rants, Holocaust denials and other disturbing content.” Watching Hillary Clinton rallies led her to “arguments about the existence of secret government agencies and allegations that the United States government was behind the attacks of Sept. 11.” Even nonpolitical topics followed the pattern: “Videos about vegetarianism led to videos about veganism. Videos about jogging led to videos about running ultramarathons.”
Quote:
It seems as if you are never “hard core” enough for YouTube’s recommendation algorithm. It promotes, recommends and disseminates videos in a manner that appears to constantly up the stakes.
And they knew all about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...os-run-rampant
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:10     #221
Lightspeed

Yeah, it's pretty shocking. A good/terrible experiment is to watch a few videos of bikini models and see how long it takes for YouTube to recommend child bikini models.
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:49     #222
crocos

Not sure I'd call it 'good', but I get what you're saying.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th April 2019, 18:21     #223
Lightspeed

YouTube mistakenly flags Notre Dame Cathedral fire videos as 9/11 conspiracy
Old 17th April 2019, 19:15     #224
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Also: people do it deliberately and social media spreads it
Old 18th April 2019, 00:11     #225
CCS
Stunt Pants

Remember when everybody used to say that social media is great because when there's a disaster or a big news event, social media disseminates onformation quicker than traditional news media?

Shyeah.
Old 18th April 2019, 15:56     #226
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-u...om-1-5m-users/

"unintentionally"
Old 18th April 2019, 16:21     #227
Cyberbob

Forgiveness, Permission, etc.
Old 26th April 2019, 10:18     #228
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Why Won’t Twitter Treat White Supremacy Like ISIS? Because It Would Mean Banning Some Republican Politicians Too.

fuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuu
Old 26th April 2019, 17:56     #229
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^^

Related: Jack Dorsey Called Ilhan Omar and Refused to Do Anything Useful

Quote:
Just a few weeks ago, President Donald Trump, the most powerful man on the planet, posted an insane video on Twitter smearing freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar and connecting the Muslim Congresswoman with the 9/11 attacks. Unsurprisingly, a deluge of death threats against Omar followed.

Now, we’ve learned, thanks to a report by the Washington Post, that Omar spoke to Twitter founder Jack Dorsey by phone in the wake of the president’s tweet. On the call, Dorsey apparently refused to take the tweet down. What a nice guy!
Old 5th May 2019, 03:59     #230
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah, it's pretty shocking. A good/terrible experiment is to watch a few videos of bikini models and see how long it takes for YouTube to recommend child bikini models.
I finally had the reason for this explained in a talk by Stuart Russell. The reason is terrifying.

Our basic understanding of the social media advertising algorithms is that they learn what we like and show us ads about those things. Turns out that's wrong.

The algorithms have worked out that it's easier to monetise your eyeballs if you are a predictable person. Predictable people are easier to target because the AIs can, obviously, more effectively predict what you'll respond to.

People with extreme views are more predictable than moderate people. Moderate people change their minds, but extremists are set in their ways. So the algorithms have worked out the most efficient way of maximising ad revenue: turn people into extremists. Because then they're more predictable and thus represent a greater potential return on investment.

It's not that the AIs are working out what we like and are changing the ads; the AIs are working out how to change our brains to make us more likely to click.

Shame that it took the end of the EU and NATO and a few epidemics and some ethnic cleansing before anyone thought to think about other consequences.

See: "reinforcement learning"
Old 5th May 2019, 10:34     #231
Nich

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sF7Kh-4GgnQ/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 5th May 2019, 20:04     #232
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thanos
Wants to kill 50% of humanity

Ultron
Wants to kill 100% of humanity

The difference? ULTRON CONNECTED TO THE FUCKING INTERNET
Old 13th May 2019, 11:17     #233
Nich

'Ever' App Used Customers' Private Images To Train Commercial Facial Recognition Software
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ition-software

Quote:
A smartphone storage app that gives millennials "free, unlimited private backup of all their life's memories," has been quietly using billions of images of users' to train a commercial facial recognition system that it markets to the government, private companies, law enforcement, and the military
Free != Free
Old 13th May 2019, 18:43     #234
Lightspeed

Deluge of online abuse leads to closure of Tasman pony business
Old 13th May 2019, 19:45     #235
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
When contacted by Stuff, the administrator of Nelson Snippets said she refused to remove the post as there were three comments on the Wild Oats Facebook page that "personally trashed me".
Vendett0wned
Old 13th May 2019, 22:41     #236
crocos

Wow. Some shitty examples of "humanity" right thur.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th May 2019, 23:40     #237
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There is no more vicious and vindictive creature on God's green earth than the female administrator of a large Facebook group composed of other females.
Old 17th May 2019, 21:19     #238
Nich

Trump White House makes website for people to report social media deplatforming, censorship, shadow banning, et al

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-media-giants/

https://whitehouse.typeform.com/to/Jti9QH
Old 21st May 2019, 18:24     #239
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A confidential Facebook document reviewed by The Intercept shows that the social network courts carriers, along with phone makers — some 100 different companies in 50 countries — by offering the use of even more surveillance data, pulled straight from your smartphone by Facebook itself.

Offered to select Facebook partners, the data includes not just technical information about Facebook members’ devices and use of Wi-Fi and cellular networks, but also their past locations, interests, and even their social groups. This data is sourced not just from the company’s main iOS and Android apps, but from Instagram and Messenger as well. The data has been used by Facebook partners to assess their standing against competitors, including customers lost to and won from them, but also for more controversial uses like racially targeted ads.
https://theintercept.com/2019/05/20/...-credit-score/
Old 22nd May 2019, 14:56     #240
Deadmeat

Wait, not the same Facebook that just said "blah blah privacy something", I don't believe it.