NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th February 2008, 22:26     #1961
caffiend

People interrupting a good fag-fest just to post something that should really be in the 'What perplexes your gears?' thread.

Heavens to murgatroid.
Old 20th February 2008, 00:06     #1962
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeeeeeah... closing windows is one thing, but closing the curtains is like saying "WE HAVE STUFF TO HIDE!"

I think you should bug their house.
Old 20th February 2008, 00:17     #1963
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeeeeeah... closing windows is one thing, but closing the curtains is like saying "WE HAVE STUFF TO HIDE!"
I close the curtains in my bedroom, but leave living room and kitchen curtains open. Mainly because I have stuff to hide. Seriously the stuff in the living room is not going to entice burglars, but 2 LCD monitors and 3 decent computers might be worth a burglars time and effort.
Old 20th February 2008, 00:20     #1964
CCS
Stunt Pants

You should just put a note on the window saying "Yeah I got stuff worth hiding, what you gonna do about it? BREAK IN AND TAKE MY SHIT?!"
Old 20th February 2008, 01:48     #1965
xor

Viewing a users outlook client and finding that they use about 10 personal inboxes to manage their mail rather than 1 mailbox and archiving work. Then having to understand how they manage their mail.

And then me losing about 3hours worth of mail that I can no longer find.

in short: IT
Old 20th February 2008, 05:51     #1966
dead goon

when you break up with someone because of distance, and then that person moves back to the country in 8 months time.

it's not really her fault, she has no choice. but still!
Old 20th February 2008, 09:15     #1967
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Every time my neighbours leave their house they shut all their windows and close all their curtains. I don't get it. It does'nt matter if they're going out for one hour or for one day, they make their house look like they're going on summer holiday. Why advertise to everybody that nobody's home?
Umm shutting your windows before you go out would be a pretty sensible thing to do (unless you actually want to get burgled). Again minimising what people can see is in your house does tend make it more of a gamble for potential burglers (where as if they can see a games console, computer, dvds just sitting in their they know exactly what the potential gains are for breaking in).

Not closing your windows just seems bizarre - if you did get burgled you insurance would pay out (I would assume) as you wern't keeping the location secure.

Pixie
Old 20th February 2008, 09:29     #1968
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Not closing your windows just seems bizarre - if you did get burgled you insurance would pay out (I would assume) as you wern't keeping the location secure.

Pixie
Fair enough, I guess I left out some pertinent information - they have security stays on their windows so they could leave them open a fraction without much worry. They also have no privacy on their section to the rest of the street (hence why I can see what they do every day). Also me and two other direct neighbours are home all day every day which makes the neighbourhood "feel" pretty safe. And also they're a retired couple, and since we don't live in the flashest area I wonder if they really have much worth stealing. Maybe it's just eldery paranoia *shrugs*
Old 20th February 2008, 15:22     #1969
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
When they play Toni Basil - "Oh Mickey" at the gym. Makes me want to drop the bar on my throat.
The gym I go to spams that ... well I don't know the name of the cockboat but he's a little rapper kid yelling 'superman oh! OH!', annoyingly.

How the fuck is that music anyway..
Old 20th February 2008, 15:46     #1970
cEvin
Love In Vein

soulja boy? lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpocrqvP2Yg
Old 20th February 2008, 15:53     #1971
Torka

Employers who bemoan the fact that employees today are too eager to job hop, and lack the company loyalty they had in the mid-20th century. Totally ignoring the fact that in those days a man could walk into a job and confidently expect that the company would employ him for 20 or more years and reward his service. No one can expect that now. Particularly with the number of unscrupulous companies around who have unwritten policies of hiring people when they're young and cheap and then firing them as they approach an age where they expect higher salaries.

Loyalty works both ways. If the companies don't display any then neither will the workers.

Last edited by Torka : 20th February 2008 at 15:55.
Old 20th February 2008, 16:06     #1972
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
I hate you for that.
Old 20th February 2008, 16:19     #1973
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
Employers who bemoan the fact that employees today are too eager to job hop, and lack the company loyalty they had in the mid-20th century. Totally ignoring the fact that in those days a man could walk into a job and confidently expect that the company would employ him for 20 or more years and reward his service. No one can expect that now.
QFMFT

You speak the truth.

Pixie
Old 20th February 2008, 16:47     #1974
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
Fuck i hate that song.
Old 20th February 2008, 18:23     #1975
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Fair enough, I guess I left out some pertinent information - they have security stays on their windows so they could leave them open a fraction without much worry.
I once broke into my mates house in about 20-30 seconds tops cause he thought his 'security stays' where all good, they are a fucking joke.
Old 20th February 2008, 18:27     #1976
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
The gym I go to spams that ... well I don't know the name of the cockboat but he's a little rapper kid yelling 'superman oh! OH!', annoyingly.

I deal with representatives of the Big Three (Warner, SonyBMG, Universal Music) on a daily basis at work. I have to fight the urge to shout down the phone "WHY DO YOU HATE THE HUMAN RACE? WHY?"
Old 20th February 2008, 18:39     #1977
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I deal with representatives of the Big Three (Warner, SonyBMG, Universal Music) on a daily basis at work. I have to fight the urge to shout down the phone "WHY DO YOU HATE THE HUMAN RACE? WHY?"
lol i hear ya on the sony bmg/universal front. sony bmg are bastards.
Old 20th February 2008, 19:21     #1978
a-tech

Not being able to watch the cricket at the moment, grinds my gears.
Old 20th February 2008, 23:41     #1979
Soleil-Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash

It's not. It's the delusional ravings of a cock-muppet who should have shot at dawn for committing such an atrocity.

The fact that it gets any time at all convinces me that only retards are still buying CDs, and thus influencing chart ratings, in any great number.

Last edited by Soleil-Raid : 20th February 2008 at 23:41. Reason: Comitting has two 't's.
Old 20th February 2008, 23:58     #1980
caffiend

I'm different, different, different.
Nobody is like me.
Different, different, different.
And that's ok with me.
Yeah, that's ok with me.
Old 21st February 2008, 05:02     #1981
dead goon

The classic. People who bring their kids into work. but don't just stay for 20 minutes. They stay for HOURS. And the kid starts crying at full volume.

This is a place of work, not a fuckin daycare center. I can't hear people on the phone! Jesus. Just go home with that kid.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:33     #1982
flic
Dee Hast Mish

When you encounter a problem at work (with a system or process) and require help.

So you go to a colleague and take the time to explain the problem, what you have tried, what the error is, what doesn't work and what the results were from your trying.

They then systematically go through ALL THE FUCKING THINGS YOUVE JUST EXPLAINED TO THEM one by one and ask "have you tried this" or "oh you just do it like that" when it's been clearly explained that that way doesn't work.

"Thanks but I've tried all those things eh, I wouldn't be here asking for your help if the standard process worked"

Their reply " Oh it must be broken, try it again in a little while" Yes, because broken things magically fix themseves every 37 minutes.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:40     #1983
LFC

Have you tried rebooting?
Old 21st February 2008, 10:54     #1984
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hold down ESC and F9 while you press the reset switch.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:48     #1985
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flic
When you encounter a problem at work (with a system or process) and require help.

So you go to a colleague and take the time to explain the problem, what you have tried, what the error is, what doesn't work and what the results were from your trying.

They then systematically go through ALL THE FUCKING THINGS YOUVE JUST EXPLAINED TO THEM one by one and ask "have you tried this" or "oh you just do it like that" when it's been clearly explained that that way doesn't work.

"Thanks but I've tried all those things eh, I wouldn't be here asking for your help if the standard process worked"

Their reply " Oh it must be broken, try it again in a little while" Yes, because broken things magically fix themseves every 37 minutes.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Are you sure it's plugged in?
Old 21st February 2008, 13:07     #1986
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wacked

Replacement monitor that has a high pitched hiss while the regular monitor is getting serviced.

Air con which makes noises like a pneumatic drill.

If this shit doesn't get fixed soon I'm going to go apeshit with a hammer.

Time to start listening to the ipod at work I think...
Old 21st February 2008, 14:01     #1987
[Malks] Pixie

Having a phone system which nobody has any operation documents for - it's all good having someone to back me up on the phone, but no use if they can't take any incomming calls.

Pixie
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:48     #1988
dead goon

IT users. Give them an inch and they take a foot. (or at least they try)
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:38     #1989
cEvin
Love In Vein

the pic at the top of this page
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:20     #1990
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Having a phone system which nobody has any operation documents for - it's all good having someone to back me up on the phone, but no use if they can't take any incomming calls.

Pixie
Details? I will probably have them.

Shitty VOiP that won't bloody work! Stupid PABX.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:24     #1991
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Details? I will probably have them.

Shitty VOiP that won't bloody work! Stupid PABX.
Buggered if I know... We're not on VOiP ourselves - I do know the system is at least 12 years old and has just been tacked onto our systems. It's not a big contact centre (ie - me) so whatever it is was probably the cheapest and nastiest system they could get away with.

Thanks for the offer man - I have faith in our IT folks to either be able to fix it - or at least back me up in telling management that it's a piece of c*ap!

Pixie
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:59     #1992
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Ah at that age could be a number of systems. Philips, Oki, Nortel, Meridan, Aria.

In general, all pieces of shit in this age haha. If your IT pukes need help convincing management flick me a line :P Always open to selling a new phone system!

One that actually works too!
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:05     #1993
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Ah at that age could be a number of systems. Philips, Oki, Nortel, Meridan, Aria.

In general, all pieces of shit in this age haha. If your IT pukes need help convincing management flick me a line :P Always open to selling a new phone system!

One that actually works too!
Nah - they're not going to fund any upgrades - the service I run is an add on to the agency, and eventually they going to be handing it off to another organisation (who do have a "professional" call centre which I have no wish to work in). So it's fix it or live with it basically!

Cheers though...

Pixie
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:14     #1994
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4411843a11.html
Quote:
Before the raid United Future leader Peter Dunne said TV3 should hand over the man's identity to authorities and if they refused "police should raid (their) offices" and "all those involved should be prepared to go to jail". He said TV3 had been prepared to "connive and conspire with these lowlifes" to boost ratings and revenue.
peter dunne grinds my gears
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:20     #1995
MadMax
Stuff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
Employers who bemoan the fact that employees today are too eager to job hop, and lack the company loyalty they had in the mid-20th century. Totally ignoring the fact that in those days a man could walk into a job and confidently expect that the company would employ him for 20 or more years and reward his service. No one can expect that now. Particularly with the number of unscrupulous companies around who have unwritten policies of hiring people when they're young and cheap and then firing them as they approach an age where they expect higher salaries.

Loyalty works both ways. If the companies don't display any then neither will the workers.
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:31     #1996
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
I'm different, different, different.
Nobody is like me.
Different, different, different.
And that's ok with me.
Yeah, that's ok with me.
You're Different: Just like everybody else.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:53     #1997
ZengE

Those all knowing people who don't have kids, have never had kids (including looking after any kids -- ever) who give you oh so sage advice about raising them. And of course, they do it in a "I know what I'm talking about" manner which makes it so much easier to listen to and apply.
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:28     #1998
Lightspeed

Everyone like that? Or just the ones who don't know what they're talking about? Or are you suggesting it is not possible to have knowledge and wisdom about something you have not personally experienced?
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:43     #1999
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Everyone like that? Or just the ones who don't know what they're talking about? Or are you suggesting it is not possible to have knowledge and wisdom about something you have not personally experienced?
Theory without practice is useless.
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:47     #2000
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Theory without practice is useless.
How so? That seems a little glib.