Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 7th October 2013, 23:00     #1
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lundy thread

Privy Council quashes Mark Lundy double murder convictions

What say you, nerds? Guilty? Not guilty? Will it be an epic retrial of Bain proportions? Did the cops fuck up once again?
Old 7th October 2013, 23:16     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Don't know, haven't seen the evidence; Don't know, haven't seen the evidence; yes; Don't know, haven't seen the evidence.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:47     #3
Lightspeed

All you need to know is in the knewz.
Old 8th October 2013, 00:44     #4
Odysseus
Stray Dog

Must be the last case to go through the Privy council - didn't nose it's open for NZ business any more.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:10     #5
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
Must be the last case to go through the Privy council - didn't nose it's open for NZ business any more.
*the* last isn't it? Although if it was surely the gnews would have made more of a fuss about it (assuming anyone noticed...)

Hasn't he just about served a life sentence by this point? Mid 90's right? So he must be nearing the 17 or so year minimum for murder?
Old 8th October 2013, 01:23     #6
CCS
Stunt Pants

Jesus fidgit, read the article I linked to. He's spent less time in jail than David Bain!
Old 8th October 2013, 09:59     #7
pxpx

Nigel Latta will save us from the Lundy-man!
Old 8th October 2013, 10:13     #8
StN
I have detailed files

The doco where Nigel brought up his amatuer theatrical past was LOLtastic.

Interesting bit about the paint chips found in the blood from the head wounds that were the same colour that Lundy painted all his tools. Sounds like they didn't use that evidence last time.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:16     #9
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Cellphone records placed Lundy in the Petone area at 5.38pm and 8.28pm, leaving him less than three hours to drive about 150 kilometres to Palmerston North, kill his wife and daughter, stage a burglary, clean up, run to his car and return south.
so without an accomplice can't see how he could do the round trip, especially in 2000, when we still had abominations like Mackay's Crossing.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:25     #10
StN
I have detailed files

Wouldn't the same cellphone records show him traversing towers all the way up and back - or did he drop out for 3 hours?
Old 8th October 2013, 16:28     #11
pxpx

That also assumes that the science behind proving the time of death (afaik analysing stomach contents?) is accurate.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:44     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Cellphone records placed A PHONE in the Petone area at 5.38pm and 8.28pm
ftfy

edit - looks like those were actual calls rather than just handset-tower pings. As you were.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:48     #13
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Jesus fidgit, read the article I linked to. He's spent less time in jail than David Bain!
Fair enough. He's past the half way point at least...

I don't think I could get from Petone to Palmerston North and back in 3 hours, let alone do anything while I was there. Heck, I allow that much time just for doing that trip in one direction...
Old 9th October 2013, 13:53     #14
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Fair enough. He's past the half way point at least...

I don't think I could get from Petone to Palmerston North and back in 3 hours, let alone do anything while I was there. Heck, I allow that much time just for doing that trip in one direction...
This is the one thing that always bothered me. If he indeed did that trip at an average speed of 160kmh, then SURELY someone would have rung in saying "there's this guy who is driving like an idiot"?
Old 9th October 2013, 14:00     #15
pxpx

Where'd you get the 160km/h from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy_murders says it was 117/km and 120km/h average speeds.
Old 9th October 2013, 17:59     #16
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Where'd you get the 160km/h from?
My ass.

My question still stands. To do those distances at an average of 117/120, in rush hour traffic, and have *no one* either ringing in at the time or going "yea I remember a guy driving like a muppet on that night" when the case got famous.... i dunno.
Old 9th October 2013, 18:23     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

The time/distance thing, and the brain tissue thing seem to be two things which I thing the prosecution would have trouble with. The computer time/virus thing seems tricky too.

I don't know what other aspects to this there are, such as the paint chips that StN mentioned - which suggests only what the murder weapon was, and not who used it. Apparently it was a tomahawk or small axe.
Old 9th October 2013, 18:31     #18
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Maintaining an average speed of 120km/h on the stretch of SH1 between Paraparaumu and Porirua as it was in the year 2000 would be quite an achievement.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:47     #19
Ajax
Architeuthis

It's possible that Lundy murdered them much later - like 2am in the morning. The guesstimated time of death was based on the digestion time of the food in the victims' stomachs, and those estimates are not an exact science. Lundy could then have driven back to Petone at his leisure, and the computer thing would be irrelevant.
Old 9th October 2013, 22:16     #20
Ajax
Architeuthis

From here:

Hislop presented an affidavit to the Privy Council last night from leading world expert in forensic pathology, Professor Bernard Knight, who deemed Dr Pang's use of stomach contents to estimate the time of death of Christine and Amber Lundy as "so unreliable as to be of little value".

Dr Pang had noted a distinct "absence of gastric smell" when he examined the bodies, and used this as the basis of his time of death estimate.

Professor Knight questioned how this was an important factor in determining time of death, saying he had never heard of such a suggestion, labelling it "utterly without foundation and little short of ludicrous".

Hislop said experts had said the smell had "nothing to do with the equation", and that Dr Pang's evidence on gastric smell was "misleading" to the jury and "flawed".
Old 9th October 2013, 22:21     #21
Lightspeed

Geez, Lundy must have been pissed when he still got convicted despite the prosecution being boxed into this bogus time frame.
Old 9th October 2013, 23:28     #22
fidgit
Always itchy

Indeed if they had discounted the time of death, and said mum and kid died sometime "that evening", wouldn't that have given the prosecution more leeway to suggest he drove up after the second phone call?

Obviously we're getting cherry picked details in the news, but I can't see how all of this couldn't have led to reasonable doubt that he committed the murders.
Old 10th October 2013, 08:36     #23
StN
I have detailed files

FFS they had McDs for tea - that crap will stay around undigested and undecayed for years with a half life older than me.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:28     #24
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

my lasting memory was his 'grief faint' on the news. You might struggle to keep your speed up though Plimiton to Paekakariki but from there you could easily make up the time.

What was his motivation for killing them? what would anyone else's be? I don't know enough about the case to comment on his guilt but I do know that once the police have set their sights on someone they don't let the facts get in the way!
Old 10th October 2013, 09:48     #25
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Between Lundy's 'Grief Faint' and Capill's "Post-Punch Whimpering" (both of which the media played over and over and over much to my delight), I think we've got Hilarious Reality TV pretty much done and dusted.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:17     #26
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
What was his motivation for killing them? what would anyone else's be? I don't know enough about the case to comment on his guilt but I do know that once the police have set their sights on someone they don't let the facts get in the way!
So I was going to post a link to TVNZ's on demand "Beyond the Darklands" program, where they set out a case for Lundy being a classic narcissist crazy. But it seems TVNZ has removed that episode from their website in the last day or so.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:01     #27
pxpx

Quote:
What was his motivation for killing them?
The prosecution argued it was for the Life insurance policy on his wife and he had a lot of debts.

Last edited by pxpx : 10th October 2013 at 11:02.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:56     #28
pxpx

The privy council judgement:
http://www.jcpc.gov.uk/decided-cases...4_Judgment.pdf
Old 10th October 2013, 15:02     #29
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
my lasting memory was his 'grief faint' on the news. You might struggle to keep your speed up though Plimiton to Paekakariki but from there you could easily make up the time.
By what, doing 150km/h between Petone and Plimmerton in each direction? Plz.
Old 10th October 2013, 19:53     #30
The Edge

That part of the case I always thought was a bit strange - the timeframe was awfully tight for a 300km return trip, regardless of whether he went through Ngauranga or Judgeford; it's not like either way consists of long, straight roads with low traffic volumes, particularly at that time of the day.
Old 10th October 2013, 21:07     #31
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
particularly at that time of the day.
No matter how many people argue that you could technically achieve this feat of speedy driving, it doesn't change the fact that he had to have started his drive during peak hour traffic. How was he going that fast at 5:30 in the afternoon and *no one* noticed? :/
Old 11th October 2013, 20:51     #32
]- Volatile -[

https://twitter.com/markylundy/statu...33963586686976
Old 17th October 2013, 09:37     #33
BadNova

and for the second day in a row, NZ Herald has a front page story about Lundy going out to do some shopping.

top notch reporting there guys. good shit.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:52     #34
CCS
Stunt Pants

I hanging out for the story on Lundy going down the drive to empty the mail box. That's how you can truly tell who is a psycho killer and who isn't.
Old 17th October 2013, 14:16     #35
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I hanging out for the story on someone pulling up outside his house and playing Talking Heads at full tit on the stereo at volume plus.
Old 17th October 2013, 22:53     #36
cyc
Objection!

Don't know whether he is guilty or not and frankly don't really care. What matters to me is how yet again the British law lords have shown themselves to be vastly superior to our judges (Sian Elias excepted) in terms of intellectual ability, the ability to actually deliver a coherent judgment, and actually having some guts.
Old 9th February 2015, 17:15     #37
Ajax
Architeuthis

He's baaaaack.

The prosecution appears to have discarded the bogus time-of-death and Lundy three-hundy stuff (as I detailed above), which should help convict him if they don't cock it up again.
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:09     #38
The Edge

And he's found guilty, again.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11426663
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:21     #39
Lightspeed

I'm so glad it's over. I hate listening to jury trials in the news. I laughed when someone said the jury did a thorough and professional job. That's what they said about the last trial I was a juror on when in reality the jury broke a bunch of rules and when it came to deliberation wanted to jump to a verdict and get out of there.
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:30     #40
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

So, that was a 2 million dollar waste of time on the tax payer.