Fuck chubby is a wierdo.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:46     #362
chubby

facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
fixed
and yet still irrelevant.
you guys(the non-lefties) keep trying to return to an argument that no-one here is having.
WE DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT GEOFF.
GEOFF FTL.

geddit?
the 'left speakers' here, i would suggest to you are green(or lefter) supporters.
we question the entire basis of your economic and social world-view,and your whole 'labour vs national' thing is kind've stupid.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:47     #363
chubby

Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
Fuck chubby is a wierdo.
ive had better.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:33     #364
CCS
Stunt Pants

Who is this Geoff you speak of?
Old 1st May 2011, 15:40     #365
Lightspeed

There's a small union based protest on lower Queen St right now. They seem to be protesting tax cuts for the rich paid for by service cuts.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:46     #366
CCS
Stunt Pants

Oh? What's paying for the tax cuts that everybody else got?
Old 1st May 2011, 15:53     #367
Lightspeed

You should go down an ask them. You might get on the TV.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:58     #368
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Oh? What's paying for the tax cuts that everybody else got?
belligerently stupid 'fo lyfe.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:06     #369
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
Fuck chubby is a wierdo.
He'd seem pretty normal in a communist country. He'll need to move to ever be happy. But I expect this isn't going to happen since he knows full well that his natural position would be in the worker class and the life experience of those at the bottom of the communist pile is truly terrible.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:09     #370
cyc
Objection!

Chubby, just try to occasionally make some sense. Pretty please....
Old 1st May 2011, 16:17     #371
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
But I expect this isn't going to happen since he knows full well that his natural position would be in the worker class and the life experience of those at the bottom of the communist pile is truly terrible.
classic.
enough snippets of truth to present a veneer of reason- but so many demonstratively wrong presumptions of truth and convenient ignorance of obvious questions as to make it quaintly childish.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:26     #372
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
belligerently stupid 'fo lyfe.
And why do you say that? Surely you don't actually believe that only the rich got tax cuts?
Old 1st May 2011, 17:34     #373
chubby

surely you're not so ignorant as to insist the tax increases we were all 'even handedly' given at the same time MORE than negated said tax cuts for most(read: 40k and under) of the population.
Old 1st May 2011, 17:41     #374
CCS
Stunt Pants

What I'm saying is that everybody got a tax cut. So who paid for the tax cut that the protestors got?
Old 1st May 2011, 18:07     #375
chubby

yeah.
the point youre making(yawn) is a fair one mr semantic asshole-
but the actual point is that the relative 'rebalanceing'... effects those worst (of course) hit by the invisible tax cuts
also, those people are protesting cuts to services,such as rape crisis- that they were not consulted as to the worthiness of.
the non-existent economic benefits of more than 6Bn worth of road expenditure are clearly explained in the govts own report- yet that PUBLIC MONEY was never up for debate.

does your point have anything other than pedantry behind it?
Old 1st May 2011, 18:10     #376
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol, this is nothing to do with semantics. I don't think you even know what that word is.

My point is that those protesting had their tax cut funded by the same thing that funded the tax cut of the rich. That's the only point I was trying to make. Thanks for finally agreeing with me.

BTW, this consulting you're talking about was done in November 2008.
Old 1st May 2011, 18:18     #377
chubby

with your love for precision in language you should check wording in the leadup to that 'consulting' with examples given by protesting parties.
think what 'front line' means.

oh, and 'finally agreeing'?!.... your in an empty room guy.

Last edited by chubby : 1st May 2011 at 18:19.
Old 1st May 2011, 18:55     #378
adonis

Quote:
He'd seem pretty normal in a communist country. He'll need to move to ever be happy. But I expect this isn't going to happen since he knows full well that his natural position would be in the worker class and the life experience of those at the bottom of the communist pile is truly terrible.
Except of course, there are no communist countries. The roots of the word "Communism" are the same for the word "Commune" or "Community". Existing countries that refer to themselves as "Communist" are run by a either a dictator or a select group of individuals. The governments of these countries are basically very large, multifaceted corporations that own and control everything. So it's more accurate to describe them as systems of "State capitalism" rather than "Communism", considering the community has no real say in how their country is run. The owners of capital, whether that is a dictator or a political party, call all the shots.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:40     #379
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
with your love for precision in language you should check wording in the leadup to that 'consulting' with examples given by protesting parties.
think what 'front line' means.
Care to elaborate on what the fuck you're talking about? I mean, you're barely literate ffs.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:43     #380
madmaxii

Fuck me Adonis, that's semantics taken to the extreme.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:50     #381
Lightspeed

Question

So it's not true?
Old 1st May 2011, 22:08     #382
adonis

If people are going to throw words like that around, the least they can do is understand what they actually mean. Calling the Greens communist doesn't advance the discussion any more than calling National fascist.
Old 1st May 2011, 22:15     #383
madmaxii

If that comment was directed at me then I will give you the same description of semantics that you would have found if you had taken the time to do a little research. From http://en.wikipedia.org:
Quote:
In linguistics, semantics is the subfield that is devoted to the study of meaning, as inherent at the levels of words, phrases, sentences, and larger units of discourse (referred to as texts). The basic area of study is the meaning of signs, and the study of relations between different linguistic units: homonymy, synonymy, antonymy, polysemy, paronyms, hypernymy, hyponymy, meronymy, metonymy, holonymy, linguistic compounds. A key concern is how meaning attaches to larger chunks of text, possibly as a result of the composition from smaller units of meaning. Traditionally, semantics has included the study of sense and denotative reference, truth conditions, argument structure, thematic roles, discourse analysis, and the linkage of all of these to syntax.
Old 1st May 2011, 22:33     #384
adonis

I meant words like "communism"
Old 1st May 2011, 23:49     #385
MrTTTT

Quote:
But I expect this isn't going to happen since he knows full well that his natural position would be in the worker class and the life experience of those at the bottom of the communist pile is truly terrible.
In terms of GDP per capita, mortality, and other indicators of quality of life, their lot was actually better under communism than it is now (under capitalism)... The USSR/CIS that is.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:35     #386
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
In terms of GDP per capita, mortality, and other indicators of quality of life, their lot was actually better under communism than it is now (under capitalism)... The USSR/CIS that is.
That's like claiming that cancer patients who are treated with drugs that make them feel much sicker than the disease in its early stages are worse off than those who receive no treatment. This is true but the observation is not really that useful in terms of deciding whether treatment should occur.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:54     #387
MrTTTT

So you're assuming those economies will 'get better', which we don't really know yet. You sound like the IMF/WB 'in the long-term it'll be alright!', and then 30 years later it's still not alright...

Shit I just realized it's already 20 years later in those countries. They're still fucked. When does the cancer get cured???
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:14     #388
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Living under communism in the USSR probably was better than living under capitalism. For those thirty million or so who didn't manage to remain living, well I guess they aren't part of our frame of reference are they?
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:22     #389
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Living under communism in the USSR probably was better than living under capitalism. For those thirty million or so who didn't manage to remain living, well I guess they aren't part of our frame of reference are they?
It sucks being ruthlessly killed by a dictator. But not part of today's reference are all those that are essentially 'dying' out of poverty (i.e. increase in infant mortality, TB, massive decline in life expectancy).
I'm not saying communism was great there. I'm just saying capitalism is shit as well, and probably shitter based on the stats.

Last edited by MrTTTT : 2nd May 2011 at 02:24.
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:46     #390
chubby

Rolling eyes

Quote:
So you're assuming those economies will 'get better', which we don't really know yet.
yes.
he is.
he would describe it as 'an indisputable fact'.. or something equally meaningful.
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:48     #391
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
So you're assuming those economies will 'get better', which we don't really know yet.
No. I'm simply observing it's several decades too early to tell and your observing things are worse from some perspectives doesn't imply the medicine shouldn't have been taken.
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:02     #392
MrTTTT

Quote:
No. I'm simply observing it's several decades too early to tell and your observing things are worse from some perspectives doesn't imply the medicine shouldn't have been taken.
Several decades too early??? South Korea developed from a country shittier than most African nations (real GDP was worse than Ghana's in 1960s) to basically a developed country in 20 odd years. Any prescription on policy that needs more than 30 years obviously is not the ideal...

Medicine should have been taken, but USSR/CIS took the wrong medicine (or, were forced to swallow poison, as it were).
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:35     #393
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
My point is that those protesting had their tax cut funded by the same thing that funded the tax cut of the rich. That's the only point I was trying to make. Thanks for finally agreeing with me.
The tax cuts for people at or below the median income were funded by the increase in GST, which left them no better off. The tax cuts for people well above the median were not offset by the GST increase, and are funded by borrowing instead.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:06     #394
CCS
Stunt Pants

Oh really? The govt divided it up as specifically as that? And you've got proof I take it?
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:09     #395
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I'm not saying communism was great there. I'm just saying capitalism is shit as well, and probably shitter based on the stats.
What is shitter than the deaths of 30 million people? A housing bubble? Corporate pay packets?
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:13     #396
ZoSo

Icing on the Trump bashing cake.
http://foknewschannel.com/photo-of-t...or-may-1-2011/
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:28     #397
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
LOL

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:35     #398
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Oh really? The govt divided it up as specifically as that? And you've got proof I take it?
Nothing to do with how the government divvies it up, it's based on how much of each persons pay packet went on tax before and after the change. Google the graphs if you're really interested.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:44     #399
CCS
Stunt Pants

Sounds like horseshit to me.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:48     #400
ZoSo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_856083.html

Bin Laden dead apparently (Not that it matters really)