NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th February 2015, 14:16     #39521
Delphinus

I do that sort of thing at this roundabout but don't believe its dickish. Sitting at the give way at the end of easther Cres trying to turn right you have to give way to cars from right, cars from left (off roundabout) and cars from left off roundabout turning into Easther Cres. Takes forever to find a safe clear gap so I take the left turn onto roundabout then go right round it effectively pulling a U turn. I guess it's different to what you are talking about as its not a full 360.
It's amazing how many people pull out into roundabout infront of me just before I exit (ie they are from hillside road) even though my indicator is on indicating right.
Old 4th February 2015, 15:33     #39522
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Really? It wouldn't surprise me, but I've never heard of it being an illegal move before.
Did you mean that they will sit at the traffic lights to go straight, but when the light goes green they turn left.
Pretty sure thats not legit.
Your lane is going straight, you can't do anything other than go straight.

People do that here. This is the one that I would intention crash into them if I was in my old car and the timing was right.
Old 4th February 2015, 15:37     #39523
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
I do that sort of thing at this roundabout but don't believe its dickish. Sitting at the give way at the end of easther Cres trying to turn right you have to give way to cars from right, cars from left (off roundabout) and cars from left off roundabout turning into Easther Cres. Takes forever to find a safe clear gap so I take the left turn onto roundabout then go right round it effectively pulling a U turn. I guess it's different to what you are talking about as its not a full 360.
It's amazing how many people pull out into roundabout infront of me just before I exit (ie they are from hillside road) even though my indicator is on indicating right.
Well if there was a long queue of cars waiting to turn right, and you did that purposefully to skip the queue, its a bit dickish.

But doing that because of the difficulty of turning right is perfectly legit, and probably makes traffic flow better and safer (with the exceptions of people pulling out in front of you)
Old 4th February 2015, 16:00     #39524
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Well if there was a long queue of cars waiting to turn right, and you did that purposefully to skip the queue, its a bit dickish.

But doing that because of the difficulty of turning right is perfectly legit, and probably makes traffic flow better and safer (with the exceptions of people pulling out in front of you)
Actually now I think about it if you have more than 2 cars queued to turn right it blocks all the left turning cars getting to the intersection anyway as the road is too narrow for them to get forward. So yeah it does make flow better.
Old 5th February 2015, 09:27     #39525
Juju
get to da choppa

My 45 minute drive home last night took 6 hours.
Empty Bendy bus + wet, steep road + power pole + only road in or out to my area = waited it out at the in-laws feeling sorry for those who sat in their cars for 5+ hours.

Staying on topic though, I used local knowledge fu to jump some of the queue by probably 50-60 cars each time. Left into Zealandia, right into Wahiti, re-join queue at roundabout. Left into Tindalls Bay, right onto Hardley ave, re-join queue feeling smug as shit and wondering why no one else was doing it.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:21     #39526
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

You have a higher IQ than average.
Old 5th February 2015, 21:51     #39527
MadMax
Stuff

http://21stcenturywire.com/2015/02/0...tion-database/

shit gonna be epic. just waiting for facebook photos to be thrown into the mix
Old 6th February 2015, 09:57     #39528
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't know how you manage this without being drunk as fuck.

Driver critical after crashing onto Auckland shoreline
Old 6th February 2015, 10:34     #39529
Deadmeat

Distracted while trying to snapchat a dickpic?
Can happen to the best of us...
Old 6th February 2015, 10:37     #39530
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I don't know how you manage this without being drunk as fuck.

Driver critical after crashing onto Auckland shoreline
I suppose given it was 3am he may have simply fallen asleep at the wheel.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th February 2015, 10:45     #39531
CCS
Stunt Pants

Simply fallen asleep at the wheel? Sheeit, now I feel bad for criticizing the guy!

no i don't
Old 6th February 2015, 12:55     #39532
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ref=NZH_FBpage

if it looks like a cock, it probably is a cock
Old 6th February 2015, 17:55     #39533
MadMax
Stuff

Fucking lol
About to turn right into my street and there's another car exiting my street, also turning right. Then this gimp in front of me does half a three point turn behind the car exiting my street. Behind, like right behind such that he can't complete the turn due to the right turning car sitting there, giving way to me. Now I can't enter my street (I'm sitting in the turning bay) cause he's sitting there going backwards n forwards.
Old 7th February 2015, 18:21     #39534
MadMax
Stuff

whoa, check out the self re-scaling done on http://www.mitre10.co.nz/ as you adjust the window size
Old 8th February 2015, 20:59     #39535
CCS
Stunt Pants

Oh Neil, you crazy magpie!

Secret stash of Moon artifacts found hidden in Neil Armstrong's closet
Old 11th February 2015, 22:54     #39536
Lightspeed

Apparently a decent meteor came down up south of Auckland half an hour or so ago.
Old 12th February 2015, 00:35     #39537
MadMax
Stuff

Wat? down up south?
Old 12th February 2015, 09:47     #39538
Lightspeed

lolz

I said, north, then changed it to south without correcting the rest. "Over Auckland" would have been better.
Old 12th February 2015, 10:54     #39539
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Whereas "Over NZ" would have been accurate.
Old 12th February 2015, 11:04     #39540
Lightspeed

Mmm, I do like accuracy. Perhaps if I prefaced with "initial reports suggest..." Need to get my journalism on!
Old 12th February 2015, 17:44     #39541
MadMax
Stuff

Posting photos of urban Australian wildlife on facebook: is it limited to Kiwi's or do all Aussies do it?

Don't get me wrong, Aussie wildlife is awesome, especially when it's oversized, has 8 legs and is on someone's bathroom mirror
Old 12th February 2015, 20:52     #39542
StN
I have detailed files

Reading NZG on a desklamp.

So you must prefix hex wifi passwords with a $ then...
Old 12th February 2015, 21:16     #39543
MadMax
Stuff

haha sux to be that guy with old wifi
Old 12th February 2015, 21:42     #39544
MadMax
Stuff

Our parents were pretty hard core - I mean they had to run between cow patties (luxury!) to keep their bare feet from freezing off on their way to school every morning.

Even if we were gifted with footpaths, at least we walked to school -- on our own -- no matter the age.

Last edited by MadMax : 12th February 2015 at 21:44.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:30     #39545
Lightspeed

Haha, for some reason I think this story by the Morning Ticker might be biased:
Crocodiles like to play and have fun with humans
Old 13th February 2015, 20:20     #39546
chubby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Apparently a decent meteor came down up south of Auckland half an hour or so ago.
outside,looking at the sky,a little buzzy.
caught the whole thing.
magic.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:30     #39547
Lightspeed

So gutted I missed it. :/

My flatmate had just left to drive to his gf's, was driving along Tamaki Dr looking over the ocean when he saw it, said it was amazing.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:00     #39548
pxpx

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11404436

"Spark New Zealand has released its half year financial results this morning with net profit sliding 12.7 per cent to $145 million."

"Managing director Simon Moutter said the results reflected the ongoing long term company strategy."

Spark's long term company strategy is to reduce profit.. intredasting.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:03     #39549
MadMax
Stuff

Surprised that car manufacturers haven't developed a swap-a-battery system where cars have a standardised battery compartment that takes a standardised battery pack. Then there's no need to charge - just pull into any outfit offering pre-charged batteries and swap your flaty out.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:07     #39550
CCS
Stunt Pants

Funny. That's what I do when my car battery goes flat. I buy a pre-charged battery (funny how batteries are always pre-charged and not sold uncharged, right?) and I drop it in.
Old 19th February 2015, 16:47     #39551
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Spark's long term company strategy is to reduce profit.. intredasting.
Investment in the company to position it for greater sustainable profit in future costs short-term profit. This is not a new concept for most people.

Old 19th February 2015, 16:57     #39552
CCS
Stunt Pants

OooooooOOOOOoooooo!
Old 19th February 2015, 18:19     #39553
MadMax
Stuff

Ooo I meant electric car batteries ... If that wasn't obvious
Old 19th February 2015, 19:14     #39554
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

As opposed to... non-electric batteries?
Old 19th February 2015, 19:36     #39555
CCS
Stunt Pants

So... you have an electric car and instead of just charging your fucking battery pack at night, you drive (on your flat battery?) to a battery station and sit there while they disconnect the battery pack, use the equivalent of an engine hoist to remove the heavy as fuck battery pack, drop a new one in by the same means, then reconnect battery pack. Sounds like a fucking marvellous idea. I'm surprised no-one is doing this.
Old 19th February 2015, 19:38     #39556
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Investment in the company to position it for greater sustainable profit in future costs short-term profit. This is not a new concept for most people.
Well often this is not necessary. For example, you could instead stop low value activities and engage in higher value ones at no change in expense base - this is a very common lever used during times of change i.e. no you can't have any more money and you must do X implying that a Y has to be found to stop.
Old 19th February 2015, 19:48     #39557
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
As opposed to... non-electric batteries?
lawl gawd damnit

batteries for electric cars
Old 19th February 2015, 19:53     #39558
CCS
Stunt Pants

Choke yourself.
Old 19th February 2015, 20:41     #39559
awr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Surprised that car manufacturers haven't developed a swap-a-battery system where cars have a standardised battery compartment that takes a standardised battery pack. Then there's no need to charge - just pull into any outfit offering pre-charged batteries and swap your flaty out.
Seems Tesla is already onto this in some way. However, Israelis have tried this and severely failed
Old 19th February 2015, 23:30     #39560
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Well often this is not necessary. For example, you could instead stop low value activities and engage in higher value ones at no change in expense base - this is a very common lever used during times of change i.e. no you can't have any more money and you must do X implying that a Y has to be found to stop.
Agreed, but I was replying to what MadMax quoted, not talking to general ways to increase profit.