Key 53%
Goff 6%

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...d-govern-alone
Old 27th July 2011, 13:54     #2
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

No need for alarm guys

Quote:
Labour leader Phil Goff has dismissed a dire new poll result for his party, saying it doesn't reflect support for Labour's proposed capital gains tax.

"When people understand it they are changing their vote and they're changing it in our direction"
Old 27th July 2011, 13:57     #3
crocos

Sample-size is also a factor: Under 1% of eligible voters.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th July 2011, 14:23     #4
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
No need for alarm guys
Quote:
Labour leader Phil Goff has dismissed a dire new poll result for his party, saying it doesn't reflect support for Labour's proposed capital gains tax.

"When people understand it they are changing their vote and they're changing it in our direction"
Lawl wut? When people... understand it? This is the policy that Trevor Mallard they shouldn't get "dragged down into the detail on" because "The public don't care and we get boring"? HAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, isn't this the policy that every expert said is needed but in its current form is no good?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Don't worry, Goff. The public will change their vote in your direction. Just keep telling yourself that as you drift off to slumberland every night, clutching your teddy.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:42     #5
pervy

1004 voters sampled..... out of a possible 3.2 million voters.

0.03% of the possible voting population; if I was him I wouldn't be too worried either.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:59     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All the polls seem to have a thousand-person sample size, and all the polls are basically saying the same thing.

I guess they could all be calling the same group of a thousand people who hate Phil Goff.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:19     #7
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervy
1004 voters sampled..... out of a possible 3.2 million voters.

0.03% of the possible voting population; if I was him I wouldn't be too worried either.
Margin of error for a sample of ~1000 is approximately +/- 3%.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:36     #8
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A 3% margin of error means that if the same procedure is used a large number of times, 95% of the time the true population average will be within the 95% confidence interval of the sample estimate plus or minus 3%. The margin of error can be reduced by using a larger sample, however if a pollster wishes to reduce the margin of error to 1% they would need a sample of around 10,000 people. In practice, pollsters need to balance the cost of a large sample against the reduction in sampling error and a sample size of around 500–1,000 is a typical compromise for political polls.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:44     #9
[WanG] Wandarah

No idea what the above post is meant to be pointing out.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:49     #10
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
No idea what the above post is meant to be pointing out.
Its a typical amount of people to poll based on cost versus accurate data ... eg its a non-issue .. move along.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 27th July 2011, 16:01     #11
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Goff
Old 27th July 2011, 16:10     #12
Lightspeed

Hahaha.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:11     #13
doppelgänger of someone

pervy is saying: it is crazy that the opinion of 1000 persons can represent 4 million people.

The maths is saying it is NOT crazy: if the sampling of 1000 people out of those 4 million is random, then the poll is about 95% accurate, and at most the result is off by about 3%, i.e. if the random poll of 1000 says 56% support National, there is about 95% chance the support of National is about 53%-59% (i.e. 56% +/-3%) in the 4 million people.

What that wikipedia blurb is saying: if you want to improve on accuracy of the poll, i.e. reduce margin of error of 3%, to 1%, you have to call 10000 persons instead of 1000. Given the benefit of getting slightly more accurate result vs. huge increased cost of calling 10 times the people, usually sample size is kept at 1000.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:15     #14
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
pervy is saying: it is crazy that the opinion of 1000 persons can represent 4 million people.
Pervy is saying it's a bit less than 4 million...

just sayin
Old 27th July 2011, 16:28     #15
[WanG] Wandarah

Oh right, yeah, it had just been directly above your own post, Dopple. I thought perhaps you were mental - and were trying to rebuff the post saying the same thing you said, by making the same point.

Glad to know there's no mentals 'round here then. Carry on!
Old 27th July 2011, 16:54     #16
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Margin of error for a sample of ~1000 is approximately +/- 3%.
But only if the poll is conducted properly. And, it won't have been. Polls are conducted by phoning landlines. Poor people don't have landlines. Need I write more?
Old 27th July 2011, 17:05     #17
pervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
But only if the poll is conducted properly. And, it won't have been. Polls are conducted by phoning landlines. Poor people don't have landlines. Need I write more?
Especially in the case of a poll run by a media organisation i.e. Fairfax.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:14     #18
crocos

Quote:
Poor people don't have landlines.
Neither do people that CBF dealing with a landline when they use their cell for everything, even when at home.

I've just finished a large piece of analysis where one of the things hilighted was that lack of a home landline was basically not indicitive of anything financial.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th July 2011, 17:27     #19
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Neither do people that CBF dealing with a landline when they use their cell for everything, even when at home.

I've just finished a large piece of analysis where one of the things hilighted was that lack of a home landline was basically not indicitive of anything financial.
This is very true....you're just as likely to ditch the land land because you can afford to do all your local calls on your mobile etc etc.

In my mind the only thing you're more likely to be if you have a land line is older than the average person that doesn't have a land line.

Old 27th July 2011, 17:28     #20
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
. Poor people don't have landlines. Need I write more?
Well, yes. You need to justify your statement that poor people don't have landlines.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:53     #21
Spink

I'm assuming you can refuse to answer the poll too? what's the demographic on people who'd actually take the time to answer that shit - I know I hang up whenever I hear that dead inside voice that pollsters/telemarketers/charities/foreign scammers have.
Old 30th July 2011, 14:53     #22
fixed_truth

Voters prefer Labour policy but not party: Poll
Quote:
Voters prefer Labour's remedy for the economy over National's, according to the latest Herald-DigiPoll survey - but they still don't like the doctor.
Quote:
Jon Johansson, a politics lecturer at Victoria University, said the poll showed that even when Labour had ideas that met with public approval the voters were not receptive to the "current messenger."

"There's no hiding the fact that the public are not responding to a Phil Goff-led Labour."
Yep, and they're going to in the future either.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:15     #23
fixed_truth

Cheesy grin

*not