Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16th July 2022, 13:19     #4361
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I haven't been into foreign films in recent years, but I've come across a movie that I cannot recommend highly enough.

RRR.
ta, will watch today.
Old 17th July 2022, 12:45     #4362
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Netflix algorithm has been suggesting the 90s Sam Raimi western "The Quick and the Dead" to me all week, so I caved, and I fucking loved it. Amazing cast, cheesy and tropey AF, rainy Saturday evening rating 10/10.
Old 22nd July 2022, 21:03     #4363
wazza
*flex*

Perfect for what it is

Old 31st July 2022, 18:29     #4364
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Everything Everywhere All At Once

Really enjoyed, highly recommend.
Watched this last night. Awesome flick. It was an amazing mix of complex sci fi, martial arts action, and comedy.
Old 11th August 2022, 14:58     #4365
StN
I have detailed files

Was at a loose end, and saw Disney had LightYear.

Premise holds up in the Toy Story universe, and perfectly fine that Evans voices Buzz and not Allen. Buzz's mate marries another woman while he is away? Whoopie. Storm in a teacup. Explains why Zurg is called Zurg. And kind of ret-cons the father bit. Kind of - but then again, what is seen in TS is how Andy remembers watching the film. At one point, a console looks just like a classic Tardis, which foreshadows a development.

Taika seemed like he could hardly remember his part in recent interviews - must have done the voice work years ago for them to do the animation sync, so makes sense he forgot his characters name.

Overall, not terrible, not great. Systems still boot up with a Mac noise - harking back to Wall-e and I supposed Jobs buying Pixar from Lucas. The cat was fun, and it was pretty obvious what was going to happen when the rookie had a red uniform on.

Didn't even realise that certain aspects of Buzz's Space Ranger suit were missing - until they weren't. Some plot points way predictable - but I don't think I am in the target demographic.

Graphics are pretty.
Old 11th August 2022, 16:19     #4366
blynk

I took the kids during the holidays and enjoyed it.
Voice makes sense. How many toys out there have the voice of the actual actor, or even TV shows based of movies don't have the same voice actors (I.e. Trolls).
So as a realism, that makes sense.

Zurg retcon, that could have also been the case that the toy manufacturer decided not to go down that route, because it would be a bit too weird for kids.

People get up in arms over everything these days.
Good movie. Go watch it if you have kids or if you dont have kids.
Old 11th August 2022, 16:34     #4367
Cyberbob

Lightyear

It was worth a watch with the kids. Nothing amazing but not anywhere near as bad as the headlines made it out to be.

Graphics were amazing.
Old 12th August 2022, 06:50     #4368
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Perfect for what it is

I like the bit where Captain America did for Prague what Thor did for the backstreets of India (Then I realise the Russo connection - Duh), while all the time the BladeRunner 2049 peeps were the strong silent ones, with a completely unnesscesary shirtless bathroom scene where he had more bumps on bumps than Aquaman. And note to Buffalo Bill - don't leave a water pipe at the bottom of the well because lotion floats.

Last edited by StN : 12th August 2022 at 06:53.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:05     #4369
BoyWonder

Quite enjoyed Prey.

At first I was thinking that this predator was kind of bumbling through the whole safari hunt but then this maybe was the first or one of the first times on Earth? Not 100% on my Predator universe knowledge. That might explain why the 1987 Predator was better equipped and a bit more cautious
Old 12th August 2022, 20:45     #4370
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Quite enjoyed Prey.

At first I was thinking that this predator was kind of bumbling through the whole safari hunt but then this maybe was the first or one of the first times on Earth? Not 100% on my Predator universe knowledge. That might explain why the 1987 Predator was better equipped and a bit more cautious
I really enjoyed it. Didn't even know anything about it until a few days ago when I saw a quick ad of it and saw the obvious complaint about it having a female lead.

Obviously know what capabilities the predator has makes some of the foreshadowing really obvious
Old 12th August 2022, 22:04     #4371
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
saw the obvious complaint about it having a female lead.
Amber Midthunder is a FUCKING BOSS. I would watch her doing a Twitch stream playing Minecraft. Have loved her since Legion.
Old 12th August 2022, 23:46     #4372
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Quite enjoyed Prey.

While there isn't an end-of-credits scene, there is a series of drawings over the credits that hints to what happens next.

Credits scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmH_Zcjz0k

A fleet of Predator ships arrive after Naru kills the Predator. What happens next? Unsure, maybe they came to trade trophies? Maybe they came to kill them all? But if you looked hard enough.... in Predator 2 Danny Glovers character gets presented with a flintlock pistol as a reward for killing the city Predator - the same pistol Naru uses in Prey with the engraving "Raphael Adolini 1715."

Predator 2 scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqWe0wz0fY&t=3s

Old 21st August 2022, 23:09     #4373
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Prey was great, the cougar and bear CG was a bit rough, Amber Midthunder is awesome.
Old 11th September 2022, 15:31     #4374
Lightspeed

Secret Invasion
Old 11th September 2022, 16:02     #4375
Caesar

Saw Thor Love n Thunder last night. Yeah, I can see why it's getting the reviews it has. Bit of a waste using Christian Bale I thought.
Very meh.
Old 12th September 2022, 23:32     #4376
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Late to the party but thoroughly enjoyed The Batman..really liked RP as Batman. Did an awesome job of being Batman who pretends to be Bruce Wayne at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I really enjoyed The Batman. Cyberpunk, heavy on the noir.

I could not believe that was Colin Farrell as Penguin. The fact he's awesome gives it away.

Pattinson is of course the best.
Agreed to both the above, just finished it, very impresWHAT THE FUCK that was Colin Farrell???
Old 13th September 2022, 18:08     #4377
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Saw Thor Love n Thunder last night. Yeah, I can see why it's getting the reviews it has. Bit of a waste using Christian Bale I thought.
Very meh.
100% agree with this, just wasted a couple hours of my life watching this.

I don't think the over the top hammy jokes worked this time around, really think the buddy pic with the Hulk worked much better than this dull mess.
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:12     #4378
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I haven't been into foreign films in recent years, but I've come across a movie that I cannot recommend highly enough.

RRR.

It's a Tollywood film, based in 1920's Colonial India. 3 hours long, but a 10/10 enjoyable ride the entire time. I watched half of it one night, and the other half the next morning.

It might not be for everyone, but I'd give yourself the first 15 minutes, let them introduce the two main characters and see if you like it. Movie of the year for me.
Finished this last night. Holy shit, what a ride. Insane.
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:42     #4379
Cyberbob

Hah, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's movie of the year for me.

NAACHO NAACHO
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:09     #4380
wazza
*flex*

i'm halfway through it - a few months ago. need to resume.
Old 27th September 2022, 09:32     #4381
Savage

Quote:

RRR.

It's a Tollywood film, based in 1920's Colonial India. 3 hours long, but a 10/10 enjoyable ride the entire time. I watched half of it one night, and the other half the next morning.

It might not be for everyone, but I'd give yourself the first 15 minutes, let them introduce the two main characters and see if you like it. Movie of the year for me.
This is great, like a live action anime. Not the kind of movie I'd normally watch, appreciate the mention The scene where Bheem jumps out of the truck with the flaming torches and all the animals was fucking gold.
Old 28th September 2022, 16:40     #4382
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/...65217141481477

the crossing of the streams
Old 29th September 2022, 11:21     #4383
StN
I have detailed files

..and more.
Old 29th September 2022, 18:06     #4384
blynk

That's quite hilarious. The original version I saw (not from Ryan Reynolds), had a caption
"Jitterbug plays had to mute for copyright"

I actually thought that is what RR had done as part of the joke, but now I realise that it was the page that uploaded it had to remove the audio.

I actually think the caption makes it funnier.
Old 29th September 2022, 18:38     #4385
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^^ that would be awesome!
Old 29th September 2022, 19:13     #4386
blynk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzYQpMsQMxY
Old 22nd October 2022, 20:33     #4387
Lightspeed

Werewolf By Night is good fun. It's a short Marvel movie, classic noir horror style.
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:02     #4388
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Watched The Godfather again last night, so good.
Old 25th October 2022, 06:50     #4389
Cyberbob

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

Recommended prior watching: Ant-Man & The Wasp, and Loki.
Old 26th October 2022, 19:52     #4390
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

James Gunn named co-CEO of DC Studios

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...on-1235248438/
Old 27th October 2022, 07:44     #4391
wazza
*flex*

gg, hopefully this will sort DC's shit out
Old 29th October 2022, 00:21     #4392
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
gg, hopefully this will sort DC's shit out
They'll need it after Black Adam; another DC fail imo. Wouldn't recommend spending money on it.
Old 29th October 2022, 07:53     #4393
blynk

But what can they do, they now have a lot of baggage.

Do they disown a lot of the existing stuff and try to start again? This is the typical feel of DC.
Batman, new batman, new batman....
Superman, new Superman
Suicide Squad, "new" suicide squad.

So would that work?

Or just try to continue to build from here. Acknowledge existing work.
Old 29th October 2022, 12:26     #4394
Cyberbob

I didn't give a crap about the characters Thor, Iron-Man, Black Widow, and Hawkeye, when Marvel made the MCU. If it wasn't X-Men or Spider-Man, I didn't want to know.
They did an amazing job at taking B-grade heroes and making people care about them.

James Gunn took that and ran with it. He made people care about Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad, and now Peacemaker.

I think he'll follow that formula. Leave Superman and Batman alone for a bit.
He'll flesh out something obscure like the Doom Patrol or Infinity Inc for the big screen and he'll smash it.
Old 1st November 2022, 14:44     #4395
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
But what can they do, they now have a lot of baggage.

Do they disown a lot of the existing stuff and try to start again? This is the typical feel of DC.
Batman, new batman, new batman....
Superman, new Superman
Suicide Squad, "new" suicide squad.

So would that work?

Or just try to continue to build from here. Acknowledge existing work.
Mostly agree, with the exception of Suicide Squad regularly has rotating roster, so that's semi-realistic at least.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th November 2022, 17:54     #4396
wazza
*flex*

Actually good

Old 7th November 2022, 07:34     #4397
Cyberbob

Awesome film.
Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna checks every fucking box I have apparently. Holy Shit.
Also, what the hell do they make at the factory?!?!
Old 7th November 2022, 09:19     #4398
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Awesome film.
Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna checks every fucking box I have apparently. Holy Shit.
i couldn't get over how fucken hot she was(is). mmmm
Quote:
Also, what the hell do they make at the factory?!?!
that was so lol
Old 12th November 2022, 15:04     #4399
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
They'll need it after Black Adam; another DC fail imo. Wouldn't recommend spending money on it.
it was the best 5 out of 10 movie i've ever seen, hahaha. i must've been in a mood coz i gave it 8 stars on IMDb

i really enjoyed it - hah!
Old 12th November 2022, 23:44     #4400
Savage

Wakanda Forever wasn't bad; 6/10. Dragged on a bit.