NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 31st March 2022, 19:04     #36401
Know me.

I haven't had to work like that in a long time. How you feel depends on what you are doing. If you are building something like a new business or some cutting edge shit then its much better then fighting fires or fixing up broken things or making up for project overruns.

Wack the overtime into a separate bank account and do something with it. Holiday, pay off debt, buy some stocks, YOLO into GME!!!!
Old 1st April 2022, 10:41     #36402
xor

It's a dumpster fire. It's been super good for the cv and all that but i'm at the point of 'fuck you, pay me more'
Old 1st April 2022, 14:32     #36403
blynk

Well im glad the is OT involved at least, and its not just your business pushing you because of what ever reason.

I have no interest in working for more than 40 hours, bar on the very odd occasion. And even then it may only be a few hours extra in the week.

If the work requires more than 40 hours a week, then they are short staffed or are expecting too much and can go fuck themselves.
I have seen to many times when companies restructure (or just don't rehire) and expect people to do the work of multiple people.
Old 5th April 2022, 09:22     #36404
xor

I've been lucky with all my employers when working OT ever came up. When employers haven't been in the position to give me time off they'd generally agree to me 'working from home and researching XYZ' with a wink and a nod.

I had one boss about a decade or so ago tell me 'oh, but you're salary' after i requested time off due to putting in longer hours and i just replied and said 'yeah and my contract says i work 40 hours a week, and what about that?'.
Old 5th April 2022, 09:40     #36405
Savage

Relevant (apologies for IG link):
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca5Chsgj5-Z/

I should stress that in my personal experience it's better to just leave companies like this, as they will seldom change. I no longer try to engage to fix things, and it's much easier to get a salary/benefits increase moving to a different company/role.

Last edited by Savage : 5th April 2022 at 09:43.
Old 6th April 2022, 16:29     #36406
MadMax
Stuff

Number of my tickets divided by (last ticket number minus first ticket number) x100 tells me I logged 5% of Vodafone’s tickets today.

Last edited by MadMax : 6th April 2022 at 16:32.
Old 13th April 2022, 22:23     #36407
Lightspeed

facepalm

Fucking old people who conflate their age with authority.
Old 14th April 2022, 20:35     #36408
_indigo1

You could have ended that sentence after word #3 and still been in the correct thread.
Old 14th April 2022, 21:03     #36409
fixed_truth

Fucking old people? I'm not gonna judge.
Old 14th April 2022, 23:09     #36410
Lightspeed

lolz

Seriously tho, it's all about the person. Some old people are legit, the ones who spend their lives living, with a genuine depth of experience. Or have you ever been friends with an older person well loved by many progeny? Especially if you know them out of their family context then suddenly being in that context. It's quite something the spillover love.

Because of course, people don't become well loved just because they've aged. But some fucks see their peers getting that and just assume they should be getting it too. I guess I might lighten up tho, growing old is hard. 😅
Old 15th April 2022, 14:32     #36411
MadMax
Stuff

Log a fault with vodafone for incorrect call flow with call examples and screen shots provided
Days later: oh, we can't see a fault, got any more of those examples?
Days later: oh, too much time has passed sorry and we don't have access to the logs. Got any more examples?
Days later: oh, we restarted your phones the other day, got any more examples?

HELLO? WHAT'S UP WITH THE CALL FLOW?!
Old 20th April 2022, 13:58     #36412
Cyberbob

I fucking hate corporate astrology.

HBDI, Meyer Briggs, DOPE, they whole industry can go die in a fire.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 20th April 2022 at 14:00.
Old 20th April 2022, 14:34     #36413
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I fucking hate corporate astrology.

HBDI, Meyer Briggs, DOPE, they whole industry can go die in a fire.
truth
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:11     #36414
Lightspeed

Waste Management fined $450k after worker died from chemical poisoning

Quote:
The waste was sitting unmarked at the site for six months before being dealt with.

During this time, the waste was never officially recorded, nor tested or labelled by the site chemist.

A destruction certificate was issued despite the waste having not actually been destroyed.

On the day of the fatal poisoning, the hydrogen sulphide alarm repeatedly rang at the site, but work continued regardless.

Gideon collapsed mid-afternoon, after exposure to at least 500 parts per million of hydrogen sulphide.
Management should have faced manslaughter charges. How can it be acceptable to be responsible for such deadly incompetence and not have your name plastered everywhere?
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:19     #36415
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I guess this guy will be updating his Linkedin bio?

https://nz.linkedin.com/in/guy-smith-8749bb37
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:17     #36416
Lightspeed

facepalm

Oof. Probably the worst that'll happen is he'll fail upwards.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:19     #36417
MadMax
Stuff

Youtubers that do a weird lean-in towards their camera or narrate every sentence in the same tone.
Old 6th June 2022, 20:52     #36418
_indigo1

Peeps who, in their car, block the left-turning lane at the lights causing an entire queue of left-turning traffic to miss a cycle, when if they had engaged brain would be in the righthand straight-ahead lane.
Old 7th June 2022, 10:35     #36419
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Peeps who, in their car, block the left-turning lane at the lights causing an entire queue of left-turning traffic to miss a cycle, when if they had engaged brain would be in the righthand straight-ahead lane.
Buy motorbike, filter passed them all, turn left while all the car drivers stuck behind the lane blocker make rage faces <3
Old 7th June 2022, 21:10     #36420
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Is this a straight & left turning lane? or have they got in the wrong lane and are trying to get back over?
Old 7th June 2022, 23:59     #36421
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Is this a straight & left turning lane? or have they got in the wrong lane and are trying to get back over?
Straight and left.
Old 8th June 2022, 14:07     #36422
Cyberbob

Meh, it's what the lane is intended for. Straight and Left. It's not Left Only. Those wanting to turn left will get a second cycle faster as they get their left only green when all corners are taking their left turns, then a green again when straight through gets theirs.

It's half a full cycle at most.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 8th June 2022 at 14:08.
Old 8th June 2022, 14:18     #36423
Lightspeed

If there was no traffic, probably better to get into the straight only lane.

But if there's traffic then that lane is there for a reason. If everyone going straight stuck to one lane it would disrupt traffic flow.
Old 8th June 2022, 15:44     #36424
MadMax
Stuff

Devil grin

When you see a straight and left lane so do the nice guy thing and take the next lane over only to find the traffic that pulls up beside you is going straight through preventing you from taking the following left turn and you’re now fucked because Wellington am I right?
Old 17th June 2022, 08:49     #36425
StN
I have detailed files

WTF? Is coal rolling actually a coordinated thing? Or are these just Teslacam saturation of coverage picking up every diesel acceleration known to man?
Old 17th June 2022, 12:33     #36426
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Save the planet. Let America fall.
Old 17th June 2022, 12:53     #36427
_indigo1

TIL coal rolling.

Americans are fucking stupid.
Old 17th June 2022, 14:38     #36428
Cyberbob

Save the cheerleader, save the world.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:23     #36429
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah I think America right now is more fuck the cheerleader, fuck the world.
Old 17th June 2022, 16:22     #36430
_indigo1

Is it apt that this discussion has evolved on page 911?
Old 14th August 2022, 14:39     #36431
Lightspeed

Rainwater is no longer safe to drink anywhere on Earth

Quote:
Rainwater is no longer safe to drink anywhere on Earth by US contamination guidelines, according to a team of environmental scientists.

That's because rainwater across the planet now contains hazardous chemicals called per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). In a paper published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology on August 2, researchers at University of Stockholm, which has been studying PFAS for a decade, found evidence that these substances have spread throughout the entire atmosphere, leaving no place untouched.
Old 15th August 2022, 20:12     #36432
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions, click here to donate to my gofundme:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/talanoa/a...3CTFCJRNVE2RQ/

wtaf
Old 13th September 2022, 19:30     #36433
Lightspeed

Crying

I just killed my PC.

Removing the HSF, didn't realise the stock AMD thermal paste welds the heatsink to the CPU.

It came off altogether, won't come apart. I'll have to go get a Stanley knife tomorrow, see if I can pry it apart.

But between the bent pins and my efforts to pry it off, I doubt the CPU will survive.

Old 13th September 2022, 20:01     #36434
_Incubus_

facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions, click here to donate to my gofundme:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/talanoa/a...3CTFCJRNVE2RQ/

wtaf
She's still managed to fleece $21K from strangers...FFS
Old 13th September 2022, 20:49     #36435
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I just killed my PC.

Removing the HSF, didn't realise the stock AMD thermal paste welds the heatsink to the CPU.

It came off altogether, won't come apart. I'll have to go get a Stanley knife tomorrow, see if I can pry it apart.

But between the bent pins and my efforts to pry it off, I doubt the CPU will survive.

You can often twist/rotate it to break the "weld", rather than trying to pull/lever it off. And I've used a butter knife to bend the pins back in line with others. Good luck! What CPU is it?
Old 13th September 2022, 20:50     #36436
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I just killed my PC.

I am truely sorry for your lots
Old 13th September 2022, 21:13     #36437
Lightspeed

Currently have the CPU/HSF soaking in ISO. I've tried for shorter periods, so I'm leaving it overnight.

I've tried iso and floss, but I just can't get under it. Tomorrows plan is a Stanely knife, so I can apply some pressure to the corner.

Otherwise it's a new CPU. $500 that could definitely be better spent elsewhere. :/

It's a Ryzen 7.
Old 14th September 2022, 15:26     #36438
Lightspeed

Very sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I am truely sorry for your lots
Thank you.

CPU is fucked. Managed to get the HSF, with iso, heat and a stanley knife to a corner.

But lost a pin trying to straighten it, so that's that.

lolz, I went for the budget upgrade too, SMH.

Such a waste of a fine CPU. :/
Old 14th September 2022, 17:59     #36439
Lightspeed

Crying

Everything sucks, lolz.

Got a replacement CPU, Ryzen 5 5500. But it looks like my motherboard bios needs an update for it. It's supposed to be able to update without a CPU, but it won't power on without one and won't get to the bios with the new CPU.

FML.

Mobo is a Auros x570 Master if anyone is curious to see what my failings might be in this case.
Old 14th September 2022, 18:12     #36440
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Everything sucks, lolz.

Got a replacement CPU, Ryzen 5 5500. But it looks like my motherboard bios needs an update for it. It's supposed to be able to update without a CPU, but it won't power on without one and won't get to the bios with the new CPU.

FML.

Mobo is a Auros x570 Master if anyone is curious to see what my failings might be in this case.
Use Q Flash Plus

Save the latest BIOS (Use F35) on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the dedicated port (white port), and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. You do it with no CPU installed.

The button's top left, next to the WiFi SMA connectors on the back.

Go to the support page for your motherboard and check the manual, that's where I got this info.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 14th September 2022 at 18:16.