Old 28th November 2019, 11:25     #41762
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
RIP Clive James
Old 28th November 2019, 15:49     #41763
Lightspeed

Long time since I've heard that name. RIP.
Old 29th November 2019, 20:06     #41764
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Congrats on the escape from Auckalofa! Anywhere near the d3W.au collective, or have you set up your own chapter?
Thanks fella! Yeah, our tribe is located near the d3w.collective so i see the boys a bit. Living the fucken dream, cunt.

Can't go wrong with watermelon and honeydew melon every breakfast.
Old 30th November 2019, 13:50     #41765
MadMax
Stuff

A neighbour on a diagonal opposite us started what I thought was a mulcher at 6.30 this morning. I wasn’t too bothered by it but it was annoying the crap out of the mrs.

Went over there and the guy is mowing his lawns with a weed eater. He has totally wrecked his lawns including the roadside verge.

After telling him to consider his neighbours and try again at least after 8 I felt sorry for the cunt. Would have offered him our lawn mower but we were going out and I didn’t have the trust to have him return it while I was out. Maybe next time.
Old 30th November 2019, 14:58     #41766
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

whatever you do don't mention that he was a Muslim
Old 1st December 2019, 02:18     #41767
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
whatever you do don't mention that he was a Muslim
No, seriously, it's starting to get weird how the news media are self-censoring all references to Islam out of coverage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50610215
Old 1st December 2019, 02:30     #41768
Lightspeed

Goebbels would have been proud of the coverage of Islam these recent decades. Awful that it seems weird when the media starts to act appropriately, it will be darkly funny its clumsy approach as it tries to remember how to do that.
Old 1st December 2019, 22:06     #41769
blynk

On a side note,
"Khan was shot dead by officers after members of the public restrained him."

Sounds a bit strange. The public restrained him and then they shot him?
Does anyone have more info. Did they restrain him from the main attack, but he got loose?
Did they shoot him why the public were holding him?
Old 1st December 2019, 22:12     #41770
MadMax
Stuff

If you're wearing bomb vest, fake or not, you should be shot on sight.
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:13     #41771
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Awful that it seems weird when the media starts to act appropriately
it is, in my opinion, entirely appropriate to attempt to identify commonalities between the belief systems of people who attempt to commit mass murder.
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:34     #41772
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
On a side note,
"Khan was shot dead by officers after members of the public restrained him."

Sounds a bit strange. The public restrained him and then they shot him?
Does anyone have more info. Did they restrain him from the main attack, but he got loose?
Did they shoot him why the public were holding him?
I saw one of the videos and it left me with more questions than answers - The action was too far away to discern what was really going on, but it did look like he was held and shot - then the guy who ran off with the knife paused a few times, and then reached into his own pocket and chucked something away. It turns out that one of the dis-armers was at the same paroled offenders meeting as the nutter, so may have known him (and perhaps was very wary of being questions by the cops afterwards??).
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:38     #41773
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
it is, in my opinion, entirely appropriate to attempt to identify commonalities between the belief systems of people who attempt to commit mass murder.
this
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:56     #41774
Cyberbob

That being said, there's no useful profile of a mass shooter.

So we'll now be keeping a close eye on every evangelical Christian and/or Islamic person that may or may not come from a broken home, that may or may not have a mental illness, that may or may not have a gun license, that may or may not play violent video games.

The only thing for almost certain? They're men. Ban men.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:32     #41775
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Wouldn't democracy, capitalism, the English language be the most common factors amongst perpetrators of mass murder the last 50 years?

Oh, you mean beliefs other than ours? Deaths at the hands of those who aren't us?
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:00     #41776
Cyberbob

If you're after the profile of the average mass shooter, it'd be a 20-49 Christian white male from California with a gun license, in an office or a restaurant.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 2nd December 2019 at 11:01.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:26     #41777
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

And we are perfectly justified in discussing the reasons that such people commit their killings.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:49     #41778
Lightspeed

We're not grown up enough for these discussions. We quickly are captured by unconscious prejudices which others see as opportunity to generate political capital from this lack of discipline.

Those who are sufficiently mature and disciplined are routinely ignored.

For instance, is the public able to grasp the nuance of those with genuine political motivations as the basis of their behaviour and those having a breakdown that's fixated on the topics of the day? Would the public even care without the media prioritising any particular topic in its reporting?
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:10     #41779
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think this is one of the greatest problems of Western secular liberalism: people who aren't religious don't understand how powerful religion is. It's the weirdest thing; we (I mean, Western secular liberals) have forgotten how powerful ideas are.

Western secularists think this is a debate in which the best-articulated and most-rational arguments will win, and that these arguments are quite obviously those of the Enlightenment. Islamic fundamentalists want to kill and enslave everyone who doesn't convert to Islam.

Western liberals: "oh but you see that's a metaphor for the clash of ideas"

Jihadists: "no, we actually want to end your lives and enslave your women"

Western liberals: "obviously that's a multilayered reference that needs to be unpacked from a standpoint of cultural subjectivity"

Jihadists: "no, you must convert or die"

Western liberals: (nodding)
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:13     #41780
Lightspeed

Yeah, religion is powerful. Yeah, maybe we don't understand it very well.

But it's not dropping bombs on Yemen. It's not destroying the very environment we depend on to live.

The dominant force on the planet, that everything else on the planet including the planet is currently in response to, is in the hands of Western secular liberalism.

And we kill like fuck. Sure, we're not starving or gassing millions. We have another way, just killing enough so that we can get away with more killing.

If we want to understand terrorism more, we need to look at ourselves, the power we have and how it's applied. Not jerk ourselves off wondering at the motivations of little people in little circumstances.
Old 2nd December 2019, 17:20     #41781
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But they’re not little people. They’re martyrs. The guy shot in the head on London Bridge is in paradise. He died in the most noble and praiseworthy way possible. Right now there are mothers patting toddlers on the head and praying that one day their babies will be lucky enough to die like that themselves.
Old 2nd December 2019, 17:41     #41782
Lightspeed

That's the story being sold.

My view is if we're selfish, it's simply not worth it.

It's important people are free to seek out and understand these things. For transparency, for improved knowledge.

But it's not worth pushing these things in the faces of people who would otherwise not seek to know about them. Well, it is of course, to the powers that be. It's a very effective tool for directing public discourse and therefore public support for particular interests. It's just terrible for the rest of us.

That might be hard to see now, generations along this tool being put to dramatic use. Along with abstract pressures that leave people seeking answers to the problems in their lives. What with the convenient vacuum left by religion in Western secular liberalism, if someone's selling answers, there's no shortage of demand.
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:53     #41783
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Right now there are mothers patting toddlers on the head and praying that one day their babies will be lucky enough to die like that themselves.
lol, are you sure about that? Sounds like someone's been in Australia too long.

This one's for you:
https://soundcloud.com/drtitus/xenophobe
Old 3rd December 2019, 00:34     #41784
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

On this topic I strongly recommend a book that has completely blown my mind:

Yasmine Mohammed, "Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam"

For clarity in articulating the Islamist position I also recommend the Islamic State recruiting magazine Dabiq. The production values and professionalism of the production are impressive. The typography is unsurprisingly beautiful, and there are pictures of cute kittens! And ironic hipster photos of Sigmund Freud! They may be a bunch of religious nutcases but their communications game is pro-tier.

Dabiq No. 15 has a really interesting chapter entitled "Why We Hate You & Why We Fight You" addressed to the secular West in general. I'll excerpt the good bits:

Quote:
Shortly following the blessed attack on a sodomite Crusader nightclub by the mujahid Omar Mateen, American politicians were quick to jump into the spotlight and denounce the shooting, declaring it a hate crime, an act of terrorism, and an act of senseless violence. A hate crime? Yes. Muslims undoubtedly hate liberalist sodomites, as does anyone else with any shred of their fitrah (inborn human nature) still intact. An act of terrorism? Most definitely. Muslims have been commanded to terrorize the disbelieving enemies of Allah. But an act of senseless violence? One would think that the average Westerner, by now, would have abandoned the tired claim that the ac- tions of the mujahidin – who have repeatedly stated their goals, intentions, and motivations – don’t make sense. Unless you truly – and naively – believe that the crimes of the West against Islam and the Muslims, whether insulting the Prophet, burning the Quran, or waging war against the Caliphate, won’t prompt brutal retaliation from the mujahidin, you know full well that the likes of the attacks carried out by Omar Mateen, Larossi Aballa, and many others before and after them in revenge for Islam and the Muslims make complete sense. The only thing senseless would be for there to be no violent, fierce retaliation in the first place!

Many Westerners, however, are already aware that claiming the attacks of the mujahidin to be senseless and questioning incessantly as to why we hate the West and why we fight them is nothing more than a political act and a propaganda tool. The politicians will say it regardless of how much it stands in opposition to facts and common sense just to garner as many votes as they can for the next election cycle. The analysts and journalists will say it in order to keep themselves from becoming a target for saying something that the masses deem to be “politically incorrect.” The apostate “imams” in the West will adhere to the same tired cliché in order to avoid a backlash from the disbelieving societies in which they’ve chosen to reside. The point is, people know that it’s foolish, but they keep repeating it regardless because they’re afraid of the consequences of deviating from the script.

There are exceptions among the disbelievers, no doubt, people who will unabashedly declare that jihad and the laws of the Shari’ah – as well as everything else deemed taboo by the Islam-is-a-peaceful-religion crowd – are in fact completely Islamic, but they tend to be people with far less credibility who are painted as a social fringe, so their voices are dismissed and a large segment of the ignorant masses continues believing the false narrative. As such, it becomes important for us to clarify to the West in unequivocal terms – yet again – why we hate you and why we fight you.

(Key points - edited for space - Ab)

1. We hate you, first and foremost, because you are disbelievers; you reject the oneness of Allah – whether you realize it or not – by making partners for Him in worship, you blaspheme against Him, claiming that He has a son, you fabricate lies against His prophets and messengers, and you indulge in all manner of devilish practices. It is for this reason that we were commanded to openly declare our hatred for you and our enmity towards you.

2. We hate you because your secular, liberal societies permit the very things that Allah has prohibited while banning many of the things He has permitted, a matter that doesn’t concern you because you separate between religion and state, thereby granting supreme authority to your whims and desires via the legislators you vote into power. In doing so, you desire to rob Allah of His right to be obeyed and you wish to usurp that right for yourselves. “Legislation is not but for Allah” (Yusuf 40). Your secular liberalism has led you to tolerate and even support “gay rights,” to allow alcohol, drugs, fornication, gambling, and usury to become widespread, and to encourage the people to mock those who denounce these filthy sins and vices. As such, we wage war against you to stop you from spreading your disbelief and debauchery – your secularism and nationalism, your perverted liberal values, your Christianity and atheism – and all the depravity and corruption they entail.

3. In the case of the atheist fringe, we hate you and wage war against you because you disbelieve in the existence of your Lord and Creator. You witness the extraordinarily complex makeup of created beings, and the astonishing and inexplicably precise physical laws that govern the entire universe, but insist that they all came about through randomness and that one should be faulted, mocked, and ostracized for recognizing that the astonishing signs we witness day after day are the creation of the Wise, All-Knowing Creator and not the result of accidental occurrence.

4. We hate you for your crimes against Islam and wage war against you to punish you for your transgressions against our religion. As long as your subjects continue to mock our faith, insult the prophets of Allah – including Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad – burn the Quran, and openly vilify the laws of the Shari’ah, we will continue to retaliate, not with slogans and placards, but with bullets and knives.

5. We hate you for your crimes against the Muslims; your drones and fighter jets bomb, kill, and maim our people around the world, and your puppets in the usurped lands of the Muslims oppress, torture, and wage war against anyone who calls to the truth.

6. We hate you for invading our lands and fight you to repel you and drive you out. As long as there is an inch of territory left for us to reclaim, jihad will continue to be a personal obligation on every single Muslim.

What’s important to understand here is that although some might argue that your foreign policies are the extent of what drives our hatred, this particular reason for hating you is secondary, hence the reason we addressed it at the end of the above list. The fact is, even if you were to stop bombing us, imprisoning us, torturing us, vilifying us, and usurping our lands, we would continue to hate you because our primary reason for hating you will not cease to exist until you embrace Islam. Even if you were to pay jizyah and live under the authority of Islam in humiliation, we would continue to hate you. No doubt, we would stop fighting you then as we would stop fighting any disbelievers who enter into a covenant with us, but we would not stop hating you.

What’s equally if not more important to understand is that we fight you, not simply to punish and deter you, but to bring you true freedom in this life and salvation in the Hereafter, freedom from being enslaved to your whims and desires as well as those of your clergy and legislatures, and salvation by worshiping your Creator alone and following His messenger. We fight you in order to bring you out from the darkness of disbelief and into the light of Islam, and to liberate you from the constraints of living for the sake of the worldly life alone so that you may enjoy both the blessings of the worldly life and the bliss of the Hereafter.
Western liberals, nodding: "Hmm, there are some deep coded metaphors to unpack there, and our privileged perspective prevents from ever being able to understand"
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:30     #41785
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Lightbulb

Clarion Project was founded by Raphael Shore - a Jew or is that illegal, and I have to call him Israeli? His twin brother Ephraim Shore runs "HonestReporting" - a pro-Israel media watchdog. Clarion Project has a dubious reputation as being anti-Islam and pro-Israel. The same donors that fund Clarion Project also fund anti-climate change propaganda.

You linked to Dabiq issue 15.

Dabiq issue 7 PDF has interesting font properties. It "contains" (although does not make use of) MyriadHebrew-Bold. No mention of any Arab fonts, despite being from allegedly Arab origin. Even my Chromebook has Arab fonts enabled, because an Iraqi has used it, and they tend to use Arab writing for some things. Not these well funded, pro-tier Arabs that make the ISIL propaganda. They prefer Hebrew fonts enabled by default. I don't have Hebrew fonts enabled, because I don't have Jews on my computer.

Issue 7 also issues a warning to Mossad spies, from an interview with a Mossad spy that was caught spying on ISIL, not to spy on ISIL. Just in case you thought ISIL was Mossad, they've clearly written that they're not friends with Mossad. But they didn't cut off his head. They published his picture in a magazine. Even though he's clearly an enemy, and a non-believer. That they want to kill, by your well-funded-by-Jews anti-Islam logic.

Issue 15 includes Hebrew fonts AND Arab fonts, but in that issue they actually use the symbols that would require it.

Now, I'm not saying everything rotten and phony somehow leads to Jews, but in this case, it kinda looks like Jews to me.

Why does Israel keep being connected to anything dodgy?

I think you're hating the wrong group dude.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:39     #41786
fixed_truth

I think that as a society if we don't actively differentiate between Islam and radical Islam then yes this does empower radical Islam.

It is important to discuss radical Islam but it seems to be difficult to do without stigmatising non-radical Islam and the resultant alienation that makes people vulnerable to radicalism. I think any discussion needs to happen while at the same time embracing non-radical Islam. Something like communicating through actions that hey you guys are alright, you guys are us, it's those guys we don't like.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:25     #41787
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think that as a society if we don't actively differentiate between Islam and radical Islam then yes this does empower radical Islam.

It is important to discuss radical Islam but it seems to be difficult to do without stigmatising non-radical Islam and the resultant alienation that makes people vulnerable to radicalism. I think any discussion needs to happen while at the same time embracing non-radical Islam. Something like communicating through actions that hey you guys are alright, you guys are us, it's those guys we don't like.
Agreed. Western liberalism has become so timid that we refuse to criticize anyone for fear of looking “non-inclusive”. We refuse to identify suicide attackers as Muslims even though it’s their Muslimness that made them do it because we afraid of hurting anyone’s feelings. That there are nice non-jihadi Muslims in the world should not prevent us from talking about how dangerous radical Islam is as an ideology.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:31     #41788
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

Now, I'm not saying everything rotten and phony somehow leads to Jews, but in this case, it kinda looks like Jews to me.

Why does Israel keep being connected to anything dodgy?
Dude you are a case study in being driven insane by social media conspiracy theories. Get help.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:12     #41789
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

You're the one spreading propaganda without even checking to see where it came from. At least I recognise that things I read may not be true and look for sources/evidence to verify it.

I'm happy being "insane" as you put it. I've always been this way, surely you've noticed. It doesn't bother me.

Shame on your Hebrew PDF and hating Arabs on command.
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:59     #41790
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Agreed. Western liberalism has become so timid that we refuse to criticize anyone for fear of looking “non-inclusive”. We refuse to identify suicide attackers as Muslims even though it’s their Muslimness that made them do it because we afraid of hurting anyone’s feelings. That there are nice non-jihadi Muslims in the world should not prevent us from talking about how dangerous radical Islam is as an ideology.
That's unnecessarily conflating different types of Islam. Out of the 1.8 billion Muslims in the world what percentage are suicide attackers? If it was Muslimness that makes them do it then there would be a lot more of it going on.
I don't think we're ever going to get rid of religion so we should probably focus on the bad kinds rather than Muslim = Bad
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:22     #41791
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
That's unnecessarily conflating different types of Islam. Out of the 1.8 billion Muslims in the world what percentage are suicide attackers? If it was Muslimness that makes them do it then there would be a lot more of it going on.
I don't think we're ever going to get rid of religion so we should probably focus on the bad kinds rather than Muslim = Bad
You're missing the point. To acknowledge that the guy committed the suicide attack because he believed in a certain form of Islam is to call him a Muslim. And that's thoughtcrime now.
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:19     #41792
fixed_truth

That would be a response to a media narrative that doesn't adequately acknowledge that radicalism is separate from mainstream Islam & so perpetuates a shitty time for people harming no one.

Being more responsible about how the situation is analysed would go along way in not creating that response.
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:37     #41793
pxpx

is d27 antisemitic lol this is new
Old 4th December 2019, 10:15     #41794
crocos

Cute little quote I read recently: The price we pay for free speech and debate is free speech and debate.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th December 2019, 19:44     #41795
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
is d27 antisemitic lol this is new
Sorry, I mistook this as the thread for confession of hating people based on their religion. I was just trying to join the game, but obviously I was playing the older edition, and I chose the wrong religion

Plot twist: My surname is originally Jewish (Poland), to the best of my knowledge.

I thought maybe Ab's point was originally about media bias, and not about Islam per se, but then he went on to spew propaganda about Islam, and seems to be convinced that he's too smart to be fooled by bullshit. Ideas are dangerous, but not the ones he latches on to! I assume he thinks he's being a responsible citizen by making sure he's an informed Islamophobe, rather than a plain old bigot. I mean, if your racism is justified, you're not a bad person, are you?
Old 4th December 2019, 23:34     #41796
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Western liberalism has become so timid that we refuse to criticize anyone for fear of looking “non-inclusive”.
Quote:
Administrators at the University of Massachusetts Amherst asked a student to yank her “F–K NAZIS” sign — because the message wasn’t “inclusive,” according to a new report.

https://www.newsweek.com/university-...lusion-1270254
Old 5th December 2019, 20:17     #41797
Nich

the beginnings of my “is this a terrible client?” checklist:
- First meeting, they say “you can trust me”
- They ask you “so how are we tracking?”
- The first thing they ask is “so how does this affect the budget?”
- When you recall what was said, they say “I didn’t say that”
- They say “we’re doing this work at risk, and so are you”
- they say “we’re probably going to lose money on this job. And you will probably lose money too.”
Old 6th December 2019, 23:28     #41798
Lightspeed

GMG: Quoting employment law to my employer is embarrassing (but at least they've documented their requirement to breach the law.)

OMG: I can just look the law up online, point it out. As a concerned employee looking out for the good of the company of course.
Old 7th December 2019, 22:54     #41799
Lightspeed

I've probably been playing too much Darkest Dungeon, but what with the smoke from NSW giving it a reddy-yellow hue, the moon has a pustular wound vibe going on. It's grotesque and fascinating.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:06     #41800
MadMax
Stuff

Edge Chromium is better than Chrome.