Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 14th October 2014, 17:26     #81
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Someone is gonna have to remind me what Nanaia Mahuta has ever done.
By the look of it? Too idealistic and not smart enough to duck for cover.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th October 2014, 17:38     #82
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Someone is gonna have to remind me what Nanaia Mahuta has ever done.
Her cousin?

She did have that God awful webpage several years back that looked like it was hosted at Geocities with a tiled pic and hideous text overlay.
Old 14th October 2014, 18:09     #83
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^^ Funny!

StN, you're some kind of Rain Man with a memory like that.
Old 14th October 2014, 19:02     #84
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nothing. That's what's so hilarious.
Old 15th October 2014, 15:13     #85
blynk

But she's Maori, and a women. All she needs now is to come out as a Lesbian (or that shes actually Transgender) and she would have the Trifecta.
Old 20th October 2014, 13:24     #86
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour leadership backstabfest update:

Robertson chooses Ardern as deputy

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...s-running-mate
Old 20th October 2014, 15:56     #87
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ladies and gentlemen, I give you the most uncomfortable picture in NZ politics

Old 20th October 2014, 16:09     #88
pxpx

The four hoarsemen of the lolpocalypse.
Old 20th October 2014, 16:16     #89
pxpx

Hoarsepeople. My bad.
Old 20th October 2014, 19:55     #90
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
The four hoarsemen of the lolpocalypse.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:49     #91
fixed_truth

Well Arden is extremely popular so that's gotta help Robertson's campaign I guess.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:12     #92
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Well Arden is extremely popular so that's gotta help Robertson's campaign I guess.
With who ? She (like Andrew Little) has never won an electorate seat. She might like to think she's the 2nd coming of Hellun, but reality is, no one has wanted her.

Facts:
* In 2008 (Waikato), she got 22.93% (7,272) of the electorate vote. Party vote for same electorate was 22.57% (7,280). Begs the question to be asked, did the party faithful follow the 2 tick principal ?
* From 2011 to 2014, she lost 2,427 electorate votes in Auckland Central.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:35     #93
fixed_truth

She's pretty popular in social media networks and people generally seem to like her.

Quote:
Ms Ardern edged past current leader David Cunliffe as most favoured, polling at 41% with Mr Cunliffe lagging on 24%, followed by former leader David Shearer on 18%.

Worringly for Labour, the other prime alternative leadership candidates polled poorly, with Grant Robertson on 12% and Andrew Little with 5%.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/shou...ardern-6091133
Old 21st October 2014, 10:42     #94
pxpx

Popular on social media! You know what else is popular on social media? Cats!
Old 21st October 2014, 10:53     #95
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
She's pretty popular in social media networks.
Relatively, I guess.
(fb/twitter)

Ardern 22925 likes, 22.4k followers
Cunliffe 27123 likes, 14.3k followers
Robertson 11235 likes, 9962 followers
Little 1426 likes, 3218 followers

Key 174024 likes, 129k followers
Old 21st October 2014, 11:01     #96
pxpx

Should run the twitter followers through that website that seperates legitimate followers from spam bots etc, (cant remember the name sorry).
Old 21st October 2014, 11:11     #97
Spink

It's usually a roughly similar percentage based on total #, like you're more likely to get bots the more followers you have so it snowballs. A higher number is usually still a higher number, I think?
Old 21st October 2014, 11:21     #98
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
With who ? She (like Andrew Little) has never won an electorate seat. She might like to think she's the 2nd coming of Hellun, but reality is, no one has wanted her.

Facts:
* In 2008 (Waikato), she got 22.93% (7,272) of the electorate vote. Party vote for same electorate was 22.57% (7,280). Begs the question to be asked, did the party faithful follow the 2 tick principal ?
* From 2011 to 2014, she lost 2,427 electorate votes in Auckland Central.
she strikes me as one of those people who other people say "yeah, shes cool and hip, id like her in!"

but then they dont actually follow through and vote for her. shes like the green party of labour MPs.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:59     #99
CCS
Stunt Pants

Jacinda seems like a likeable enough person. But she doesn't seem to have anything in her political track record that suggests she's up to the job.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:10     #100
blynk

But the long term plan would be.
3 years in deputy under Robertson as opposition
6 years in deputy under Robertson as government
Take a run at leader?

Plenty of time to get experience
Old 21st October 2014, 12:16     #101
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Jacinda seems like a likeable enough person. But she doesn't seem to have anything in her political track record that suggests she's up to the job.
True, but if you're a likeable enough person you don't really need a political track record.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:49     #102
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, having had a job would also be nice.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:50     #103
CCS
Stunt Pants

Sure, might be enough to win a primary election to take charge of an unelectable party.
We'll see what happens from there.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:54     #104
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well, having had a job would also be nice.
Come on, man. She worked in a fish and chip shop!
Old 21st October 2014, 13:04     #105
fixed_truth

With the weighted vote system and different factions etc I wouldn't have a clue how it's all gonna play out.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:06     #106
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Come on, man. She worked in a fish and chip shop!
Oh jesus, seriously?
Old 21st October 2014, 13:12     #107
CCS
Stunt Pants

Uh, YEAH.

Quote:
The pair have been called a "beltway babies" by some Labour insiders because they both worked in the Beehive before becoming MPs.

Ardern rejected the suggestion she's had little "real-world experience".

"I'd push back on that," she said this morning on Breakfast.

"Look, Grant's from Dunedin and I'm from Morrinsville. We did work together for a time.

"I worked longer in a fish and chip shop than I did as a parliamentary staffer.
WORKING CLASS STYLEZ!
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:57     #108
CCS
Stunt Pants

Some people get to vote multiple times for Labour leader
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:45     #109
Omegakai

lols. that site has zero creditability now. not sure linking it is TEH smarts.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:15     #110
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lefties have always said that the site lacks credibility. They say that because it keeps highlighting what a bunch of inept morons they are.

After all, is there anything incorrect about that article? No.
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:20     #111
pxpx

It's got more credibility than the daily blog, that's for sure.
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:26     #112
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
lols. that site has zero creditability now. not sure linking it is TEH smarts.
Whadoyamean?!? It was all just a plot to silence the truth lol

GG that journalist/media/parties want fuckall to do with the toxic mess and that he's lost so much creditability in the eyes of the public.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:57     #113
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Andrew Little has been elected the leader of the Labour Party.

The announcement brings to a close the four-way leadership contest between Little, Grant Robertson, David Parker and Nanaia Mahuta.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...r-Party-leader

Sounds like Robertson was the choice of both caucus and members, but Little had the support of the unions (a union vote is worth more than any other sort) and then picked up preferences from Mahuta and Parker when they got eliminated.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:37     #114
spigalau

Says it all really. Not wanted by his Caucus or his members.

In Round#1 he had the least support from Caucus of the 4 options.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:15     #115
pxpx

The funniest part is the "united front" in all the interviews from labour caucus members. I feel bad for them having to swallow such a huge fucking rat every time they get asked about Little.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:57     #116
fixed_truth

Was a bit unsure about Little but so far so good.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:59     #117
BoyWonder

So far? Has it been 24 hours yet?
Old 19th November 2014, 12:13     #118
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Little looked like the only one of the candidates who had a chance of doing what most needs to be done: sorting Labour's shit out.

Unfortunately he has been given the opportunity to actually do it by having his union backers decide the leadership election. He has no real support among the Labour MPs. So now he's in the shitty position of having to choose between

a) not trying to change anything and working within Labour as it is - which guarantees that the party will remain unelectable;

or

b) cleaning house, firing a bunch of useless motherfuckers, and getting some actual fundraising infrastructure in place with an eye to being competitive at the election after next - and getting backstabbed to death by his own MPs right now.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:25     #119
spigalau

So anyone want to wager that within 12 months there will be a major split within the Labour party ?

Little is Cunliffe Mk II, like DC, he is not wanted by his peers (caucus) nor the party membership. He's a dead man walking.

Spig predict "By December 2015, there will be a new left party led by Jacinda Adern with Robertson as 2IC" the remnants will cling to the Labour name and will be union & pasifika based.

Last edited by spigalau : 19th November 2014 at 12:26.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:26     #120
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Worst. Result. Ever.

The only thing worse than electing the wrong person as leader of Labour is electing him by the narrowest of margins, by virtue of the influence of a handful of individuals acting under instructions.

Labour just made the wrong choice, in the worst possible way.

Obviously, I think that the decision to choose Andrew Little over Grant Robertson was the wrong one however it came about … that’s because Grant is a good friend whom I think will one day make a fantastic Prime Minister of New Zealand. So Andrew Little could be the reincarnation of Jack Kennedy mixed with Bob Hawke by way of Michael Joseph Savage (which he most certainly isn’t) and I’d still be lamenting the Labour Party’s decision to appoint him leader ahead of Grant.

So let’s put aside my personal disappointment at the actual decision that Labour has made and instead look at how it has done so. Because it looks to me like it’s created an almighty cluster&*k.

First, Little beat Grant by just over 1% of the weighted votes cast. That’s about as close a margin of victory as you can get, achieved on the third round. So the overall mandate for Little’s leadership is … fragile, at best.

Second, Little lost heavily to Grant in both the Caucus and the Membership vote in every successive round of voting. Little was the first choice to be leader of only four of his colleagues (assuming he voted for himself, that is). Only 14 of 32 backed him as leader over Grant by their third choice – meaning 18 of 32 think Grant is a better person to lead them. And in respect of the membership vote, Little was consistently 10% behind Grant at each stage of the vote.

The thing that gave Little the edge, of course, was his support amongst “affiliates” – which means those unions that still retain membership ties with Labour.

Now, I’m not a knee-jerk anti-union person. I am, and always have been, a member of AUS and then the TEU. I served on the local branch committee for a while. I believe strongly in the need for collective organisation and action to protect the rights and interests of working people.

I also accept that the Labour Party has been (and to a degree remains) the political expression of that need. So I don’t have any sort of problem in principle with the union movement having some sort of guaranteed input into the process of selecting the leader of the Party. Plus, of course, its really only the Labour Party’s business how they do things.

But for all that, as a “concerned observer”, I think that the sight of the Labour Party leader being chosen almost purely because of lopsided support amongst the union organisations is a terrible,terrible one for it.

They have a leader rejected by his colleagues and the party members, but there due to the union vote.

It’s not that 75% of the individual members of all the affiliated unions think Little is a better leader than Grant. It’s instead that 75% of those people that each union allowed to decide the issue plumped for Little ahead of Grant. People who, in the case of (say) the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union, basically were told by their leaders that they should vote for the guy who used to be their boss.
/popcorn