NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st May 2017, 10:57     #401
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's at "but her emails" levels of delusion. Central government has fuck all ability to do anything about Auckland's housing, the end. If you think that the National Party is to blame for Auckland's housing problems that means that you are ignorant (solution: learn how government works) or you just really want to blame National for everything including mass extinctions (solution: none).

Again, for the millionth time... NZ does not have a housing crisis. Auckland has a housing crisis. Auckland's housing problems can be solved by

- expanding the city outwards; or
- expanding the city upwards; or
- euthanising a million people*

The Christchurch rebuild has proven that the construction industry is ready and waiting to build shit fast WHEN IT'S ALLOWED TO. The reason that it's not working on building Auckland out and/or up and thereby fixing the Auckland housing crisis is because IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO. The permission it needs can not come from central government. It is NOT A FUCKING CENTRAL GOVERNMENT ISSUE.

* ok, I concede that this is something that central government could in theory do, but you know, OPTICS.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:03     #402
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey I just thought of something that central government COULD do: amend the Resource Management Act to make it harder for NIMBYs and activists to block development proposals.

That's something the National Government could do to help Auckland. Weaken the Resource Management Act. I'm sure those "wellingtonian labour apologist or green supporting auckland millennial" voters will be all up ons.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:07     #403
fixed_truth

Come on Ab, it’s a bit hysterical to equate thinking policy can affect housing in Auckland to National being the cause of all evil.
Quote:
1. the construction industry for not building houses fast enough
Both National & Labour’s housing plans involve putting measures in place to enable the construction industry to build houses faster.
National. Labour
Quote:
2. council for not freeing up land/relaxing zoning laws to allow the construction industry to build houses
Anal but from the way both parties are talking it doesn’t look like this is outside their powers
Quote:
Landbankers could have property seized by the Government if the land is within certain areas marked for housing development.
Housing Minister Nick Smith said today that such a hardline measure to override private title for development in certain areas was a "big call".
"If you look at many of the other governments in other parts of the world that have used those powers, they have worked effectively.
"Yes, we are the National Party, but we have responded in a very pragmatic way to the challenges in Christchurch. And that has involved overcoming some of those pure views about property rights.
Government look at hardline measure to seize property for development
Quote:
Labour will remove the Auckland urban growth boundary and free up density controls. This will give Auckland more options to grow, as well as stopping landbankers profiteering and holding up development.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:13     #404
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Again, for the millionth time... NZ does not have a housing crisis. Auckland has a housing crisis.
Queenstown definitely does. And as for some other areas I guess you'd need to define crisis. Maybe a growing problem would be a better way to put it.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:16     #405
ZoSo

lol snarky ab. I was only ever amused at greens being cool with 5-6 stories in the likes of Milford etc (which isn't in my back yard btw.. and for sure don't touch their devonport!) while good old len's areas were exempt and then shitting on those who were against it, when they constantly wail on about local involvement in democracy. But of course, they were old and disagreed, so..
Old 1st May 2017, 11:22     #406
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I was just googling for some numbers and found this article at Spinoff last year, which I like because it agrees with me which means it's super great:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/28-...-fix-a-crisis/

In fact it agrees with me so much that it seems almost too much of a coincidence, so maybe I've read it before.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:33     #407
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What the fuck does the government have to do with housing in Auckland? Seriously, we keep coming back to this with every discussion. I know that National is the Great Satan and John K-- I mean, Bill English -- is Hitler 2.0 so they have to be to blame for everything, but jesus.

If there aren't enough houses in Auckland for the number of people in Auckland that means one of two entities shoulders most of the blame:

1. the construction industry for not building houses fast enough

2. council for not freeing up land/relaxing zoning laws to allow the construction industry to build houses

Note: NEITHER OF THESE ENTITIES IS THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT
Is the population in Auckland growing because Aucklanders are having a lot of babies? Or perhaps there is some other factor at play here? Factors that aren't to do with decisions made in Auckland? Nah, couldn't be!
Old 1st May 2017, 13:57     #408
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Is the population in Auckland growing because Aucklanders are having a lot of babies? Or perhaps there is some other factor at play here? Factors that aren't to do with decisions made in Auckland? Nah, couldn't be!
And what do you want us to infer that the factor is?
Old 1st May 2017, 14:07     #409
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

People are becoming homeless not because there are zero houses/rooms empty, but because there are zero houses/rooms they can afford.

Simple fix - no new loans on rental properties, and banks should call in loans on existing rental properties. If you don't 100% own a house, you don't have the right to rent it. Prices would plummet as most landlords would be forced to sell, and the old "someone else is paying my mortgage ho ho ho" game would come to an end.

If you can currently afford rent, you could probably afford to buy the house you live in if house prices halved. People would be more financially secure, and be able to loan money to each other to help them afford the deposit.

Of course our financial masters would hate this, so we'll continue to pay the cost socially while they receive money for nothing. But let's keep blaming this or that resource act and pretend we just need more brand new houses for landlords to rent out to people who can't even afford the worst ones.
Old 1st May 2017, 14:18     #410
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
People are becoming homeless not because there are zero houses/rooms empty, but because there are zero houses/rooms they can afford.
And why are the houses and rooms so expensive?

Hint: S_PPL_ AND DEMAND

There aren't enough houses. Therefore those that do exist are very very expensive. Solution: add houses.
Old 1st May 2017, 14:23     #411
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Increase supply of lower priced houses by reducing demand for houses to be used as rental property.

The demand to house Generation Rent is being met by current supply.

The problem is that they are doomed to being Generation Rent, not Generation Homeless.
Old 1st May 2017, 16:35     #412
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What the fuck does the government have to do with housing in Auckland? Seriously, we keep coming back to this with every discussion. I know that National is the Great Satan and John K-- I mean, Bill English -- is Hitler 2.0 so they have to be to blame for everything, but jesus.
Geez Ab, you know it's actually about ethics in gaming journalism.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st May 2017, 17:11     #413
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Simple fix - no new loans on rental properties, and banks should call in loans on existing rental properties. If you don't 100% own a house, you don't have the right to rent it. Prices would plummet as most landlords would be forced to sell, and the old "someone else is paying my mortgage ho ho ho" game would come to an end.
Arguments about housing supply and demand to one side, from a purely ethical point of view this, or something very like it, is what we should be doing.
Old 1st May 2017, 17:19     #414
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, nationalise the banks and have a country-wide lending policy set by the Beehive, that'll be awesome
Old 1st May 2017, 17:20     #415
CCS
Stunt Pants

Owning a rental property is unethical?
Old 1st May 2017, 17:30     #416
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
And what do you want us to infer that the factor is?
I'm not suggesting a single, or specific, factors. I'm suggesting complex factors.

Immigration could be one. I'm pretty sure potential international migrants get more points towards their residency if they reside outside of Auckland, so the government obviously recognises this and has responded to it. But maybe that just skews the migrants Auckland gets. Maybe there are a lot of national migrants too?

But there's the labour market, material costs, etc., etc. Things both inside and outside of Auckland's sphere of influence.

If because of reasons the government finds a housing problem in any part of NZ, I don't see why its place would be to simply observe and note.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:41     #417
xor

Labour is concerned more about equal outcomes rather than equal opportunities when creating their MP list and now they want to introduce the presumption of guilt as part of their election campaign?
Old 4th May 2017, 13:38     #418
Jodi

Once thing central government could do is

LET AUCKLAND RAISE ITS OWN FUNDS VIA TAXATION.

Cos, lets face it, raising rates is gonna piss off the only people who vote.

Building houses is easy, but building the water, power, sewage, comms, roading, stormwater, footpaths and cyclelanes cost a fuckton. And unless I'm wrong, it's the council that pays for _most_ of that, not the house builder.
Old 5th May 2017, 10:04     #419
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Building houses is easy, but building the water, power, sewage, comms, roading, stormwater, footpaths and cyclelanes cost a fuckton. And unless I'm wrong, it's the council that pays for _most_ of that, not the house builder.
Normally a subdivision developer will pay for all of that stuff within the subdivision boundary. Sometimes more (Eg: Millwater had to pay for the new motorway offramp nearby).
Once complete, the operation of said services is handed over to the council or authority within a year or two.
But yea, the council has to pay to expand their feed services to support said subdivisions.
Old 11th May 2017, 14:33     #420
fixed_truth

Labour wants mental health teams within GP practices, free appointments for mental health issues

Quote:
GP practices will have dedicated mental health teams and all appointments relating to mental health issues will be free under a pilot programme being proposed by the Labour Party.
On first look this seems like a good start towards removing stigma and barriers to access in mental health. Having someone at your local GP will be much more easier than say having to find an appropriate service or going into a mental health inpatient unit to be assessed.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:36     #421
Lightspeed

Politicians cooking up mental health policy or approaches to mental health in general is a bad idea. All Labour needs to do is make a commitment to an academic approach to mental health practice over National's idealogical approach.