NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Battlefield Forum
User Name
Password

Old 8th January 2003, 18:35     #1
blur^

1942 Tourny @ EQX

i scanned down the page, didnt notice any thread dedicated too this, so sorry if i am asking a question thats already been answered :P

anyways, whats the deal with the tourny at eqx? is it not teams?

from what i read of the rules it looks like the dude with the highest score advances etc :/

thats a bit stupid really, not everyone is a flag/frag whore,

*shrug*
Old 8th January 2003, 18:49     #2
FB

I wont be playing, as I dont own my own version of 1942 yet.
Old 9th January 2003, 10:35     #3
orpheus
Jedi Knight

- you register, with a legit copy

- you get put into a team

- if you are a medalist (i.e - top 3), you go through to finals.

- Good Luck.

im entering for the hell of it.
Old 9th January 2003, 10:39     #4
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

hope those teams are random...a players score depends a great deal on how much support he gets from his (or her) teammates.

Should be a some good battles I'm down for that tournament
Old 9th January 2003, 17:57     #5
blur^

sounds like fun,

still a bit rude only medalists moving forward,

would be alot better if we had multiple teams enetered

but i guess there arnt enough of us around, or willing to play
Old 10th January 2003, 00:04     #6
FB

Yeah only medalists moving forward is a giant crock of shit.
Whoever made that rule has obviously never played 1942 for any length of time.

As we all know, in a game like this frags dont mean shit.
It is a team game
Old 10th January 2003, 00:37     #7
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

not in a equinox tourney :>

should suit my style of play (kill or be killed)
Old 10th January 2003, 00:42     #8
FB

Quote:
Originally posted by Ba'alzaman
not in a equinox tourney :>

should suit my style of play (kill or be killed)
pray FF is off.
Old 10th January 2003, 00:50     #9
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

muhahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaa
Old 10th January 2003, 21:00     #10
Logik
Mate, feed, kill, repeat

o_O WTF

giving the win to the top three fraggers in a (random) team deathmatch game is f'ing stupid. a better player on a worse team will get a lower score than a worse player on a better team.

a free for all deathmatch would make alot more sense.
Old 10th January 2003, 22:34     #11
Dalcon

Re: WTF

Quote:
Originally posted by Logik
giving the win to the top three fraggers in a (random) team deathmatch game is f'ing stupid. a better player on a worse team will get a lower score than a worse player on a better team.

a free for all deathmatch would make alot more sense.
Either way it would never work. All that will happen is everyone will be very aggressive in going for the tanks/planes etc, and just trying to out spawn camp thier teammates as much as possible. The ones that do best are lucky enuf to have a few teammates foolish enuf to do whats best for the team, try to capture the flags etc..

If FF is on, noone will get near the tanks/planes cause you'll get a bullet in the back before getting near them, though least losing a frag will discourage most, but still be plenty that can't resist either shooting a teammate before they get to the vehicle, or blowing it up first so it'll spawn later when they have a chance.

Last edited by Dalcon : 10th January 2003 at 22:35.
Old 11th January 2003, 00:02     #12
Mirage

Hi,

This was discussed here:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread...hreadid=125147

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread...hreadid=127352

I made the rules and structure for the tournament based on:

(1) the fact that there simply arn't enough BF1942 teams competing at EQX
(2) that the majority of people that have registered have no team. Equinox is pleasing the majority of participants rather than the few hardcore established players that are already in teams.
(3) What's more, we were working with the prizes that were on offer. Affording 12 expensive prizes for the winning team was never an option.

For the record, I've played hundreds of team games before and I've played dozens of hours of BF1942.

If 8 or more teams attending Equinox with 12 players in each came to me requesting that the BF1942 tournament be run like the Counter-Strike tournament then I would have structured the tournament differently.

Last edited by Mirage : 11th January 2003 at 00:08.
Old 11th January 2003, 00:18     #13
Dalcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirage

If 8 or more teams attending Equinox with 12 players in each came to me requesting that the BF1942 tournament be run like the Counter-Strike tournament then I would have structured the tournament differently.
Thats fair nuf, I'm sure many like me would rather any tourny than none at all, just bf1942 is bout as team a team game gets, so one of the main things I'm looking forward to at equinox are lots of big games of 1942 where everyone is on lan ping, lamers dealt with personally, and an attempt at organised teamwork could be attempted, just won't be in the tourny.
Old 11th January 2003, 00:29     #14
FB

Yeah just been talking to Mirage
FF is gonna be off *yay*

His reasoning is sound, there just arent any clans for a team tourney, frags is really the only way to go..

Spose we can always have a boring old team game online anyway, having the game based on frags will at least make it a different experiance.. and hopefully a memorable one
Old 31st January 2003, 20:01     #15
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

however, hopefully by the next big lan the bf1942 clan scene will be healthy enough to support sufficent clans for a proper clan based tourney. The prizes appear to be there (as evidenced at Equinox), and I feel BF1942 has the potential for it...imagine that? Instead of a bunch of camperstrikers going up for the prizes, a bunch of BF'ers going up instead... :drool:

To the clans out there: wtf. is already positioning itself for this....are you ?
Old 1st February 2003, 00:59     #16
FB

Oh yeah, just thought i'd note

See mirages above posts?

Well..
I competed..
FF was on

and there were numerous rule conflicts.

Like they told us there would be no timelimit for the final, and then there was.
Old 3rd February 2003, 02:41     #17
-Dr.J-

Yeah, fully. But shit happens. Those rules gave way to time economy and network / server issues. It's alright, we played the tourney, I feel better playing no timelimit either but I don't worry.