Password

Old 14th July 2010, 12:11     #761
Fx.

watched a-team last night, really really liked it heh
didn't take itself seriously at all and had some nice action scenes
Old 14th July 2010, 12:19     #762
chiQ
Frag-muff

Yep, I liked A-Team too. Totally over-the-top and fun from start to finish.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:37     #763
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Watched a lot of shit fucking films lately, any decent ones out there atm?
I quite enjoyed Greenberg. Ben Stiller like I've never seen him before, so many lol as fuck moments. Check it out if you think it's your bag.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:00     #764
xpandnz

yeah its a good flick but i can see a lot of people not liking it. One of his finest performances yet
Old 14th July 2010, 14:23     #765
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
So i think I finally understand American Psycho after 9 years.

See below:

Patrick Bateman did kill all the people. He got away with it because they are all upper class males who look pretty much the same and so he was confused with other people he worked with, as did Paul Owen when he gets mentioned as to have been a guest to Batemans lunch in London. I guess then that the whole story was to have some sort of commentary on how fucked up that Wall Street era was (and probably still is) in the 80s. Anyone else get it like this?
*sigh*

My take is he never killed anybody.

He is a person with ego, self-esteem, and self-identity problems in a life where he is an unknown. This is a recurring theme in the film, with no even knowing who he is covered from several angles.

He has an elaborate fantasy life in his mind where he is the master and takes revenge on those who he feels envy for, powerless against, etc. those who gets the good reservations, those who are more successful, etc.

He never killed anyone. It was all in mind that is shattering from the identity crisis. I think it's pretty clear that's the idea of the film. Particularly with repeated viewings. The movie makes it inescapable that no on was ever killed, it was all in his twisted fantasies.

* The day planner. Inside are cartoons of all of the murders. He drew them as he fantasized about them.
* The Blood Trail. When he drags his first kill through the lobby he leaves a foot wide blood trail. No one notices.
* The hallway. A screaming girl runs down a hallway in the middle of the night, pounding on doors, being chased by a chainsaw revving maniac and no one wakes up.
* The realtor. Had no fucken idea who he was or what he was talking about, i.e he had no business being there and was asked to leave.
* The exploding cop car. This was the most telling clue. It might as well have been a neon sign telling you it was a fantasy.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:27     #766
Rocket

Animal Kingdom

based on a true story of a family of Armed Robbers in Melbourne.
You may have read the story or heard the story of the 2 policemen gunned down outside their police van whilst checking on an abandoned stolen vehicle parked in the middle of a suburban road in Melbourne sometime in the 80s i think, this is the story behind it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/

Good watch, great movie, can be a bit hard to watch at times, quite heavy and raw.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:40     #767
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
can be a bit hard to watch at times, quite heavy and raw.
Seen The Horseman? Bit brutal.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:42     #768
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Seen The Horseman? Bit brutal.
nup, worth he watch?
Old 14th July 2010, 14:49     #769
ZoSo

It's kind of good and woefully bad at the same time. Depends if you're a fan of violent Aussie films
Old 14th July 2010, 15:25     #770
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
*sigh*

My take is he never killed anybody.
That isn't what the film makers intended. The IMDB FAQ entry for this film has these three interesting paragraphs :-

Quote:
/*snip of previous bits. */

However, if this is the case, and if this sequence does represent pure fantasy, Harron ultimately felt that she had gone too far with the hallucinatory approach. In an interview with Charlie Rose, she stated that she felt she had failed with the end of the film because she led audiences to believe the murders were only in his imagination, which was not what she wanted. Instead, she wanted ambiguity; "One thing I think is a failure on my part is people keep coming out of the film thinking that its all a dream, and I never intended that. All I wanted was to be ambiguous in the way that the book was. I think it's a failure of mine in the final scene because I just got the emphasis wrong. I should have left it more open ended. It makes it look like it was all in his head, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not" (the complete interview can be found here).

Guinevere Turner agrees with Harron on this point; "It's ambiguous in the novel whether or not it's real, or how much of it is real, and we decided, right off the bat, first conversation about the book, that we hate movies, books, stories that ended and 'it was all a dream' or 'it was all in his head'. Like Boxing Helena, there's just a lot of stuff like that. [...] And so we really set out, and we failed, and we've acknowledged this to each other, we really set out to make it really clear that he was really killing these people, that this was really happening. What's funny is that I've had endless conversations with people who know that I wrote this script saying "So, me and my friends were arguing, cause I know it was all a dream", or "I know it really happened". And I always tell them, in our minds it really happened. What starts to happen as the movie progresses is that what you're seeing is what's going on in his head. So when he shoots a car and it explodes, even he for a second is like "Huh?" because even he is starting to believe that his perception of reality cannot be right. As he goes more crazy, what you actually see becomes more distorted and harder to figure out, but it's meant to be that he is really killing all these people, it's just that he's probably not as nicely dressed, it probably didn't go as smoothly as he is perceiving it to go, the hookers probably weren't as hot etc etc etc It's just Bateman's fantasy world. And I've turned to Mary many times and said "We've failed, we didn't write the script that we intended to write"."

In line with what both Harron and Turner feel about the question of whether or not the murders are real, Bret Easton Ellis has pointed out that if none of the murders actually happened, the entire point of the novel would be rendered moot. As with the practical theories regarding the Carnes conversation, the outbursts and the empty apartment, interpreting the murders as real is part of the film's social satire. Ellis has stated that the novel was intended to satirize the shallow, impersonal mindset of yuppie America in the late 1980s, and part of this critique is that even when a cold blooded serial killer confesses, no one cares, no one listens and no one believes. The fact that Bateman is never caught and that no one believes his confession just reinforces the shallowness, self-absorption, and lack of morality that they all have. None of them care that he has just confessed to being a serial killer because it just doesn't matter; they have more important things to worry about. In Bateman's superficial high-class society, the fact that even his open confession to multiple murders is ignored serves to reinforce the idea of a vacuous, self-obsessed, materialistic world where empathy has been replaced by apathy. By extension then, this could be read as a condemnation of corporations in general; they too tend get away with murder (in a figurative sense) and most people just choose to ignore it, just as do Bateman's associates. In this sense then, Bateman serves as a metaphor, as do the very real murders. If the murders were purely in his head, the strong social commentary would be rendered mute and the film would become a psychological study of a deranged mind rather than a social satire. And whilst that is a perfectly valid interpretation, as Harron indicates above, it is not entirely what the filmmakers were attempting to achieve.
We can all agree Patrick is definitely hallucinating to some degree. As you say the cop car exploding and the cat-hungry ATM give that away.

But as to whether he actually killed anyone then I'd argue that half the power of the film is removed if he never actually kills anyone, as the last paragraph quoted indicates it turns the film simply into a character study of a deranged mind when the film clearly is wanting to say more about the society around Patrick and how it engendered him.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:05     #771
fidgit
Always itchy

Well that pretty much sums that up then heh.

I hear the new Karate Kid sucks balls. I haven't seen it, but have been strongly advised not to.

On the remake of Death at a Funeral - I believe they wanted to connect with their American audiences by remaking it entirely into slapstick. But yeah, there should be a moratorium on remakes for at least 10 years after the original is made.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:56     #772
xpandnz

Watching Chasing Amy again after God knows how many years.

Kevin Smith writes some of the best dialogue imo. His movies that he does all himself are mostly great.

Cop Out was directed by K.S, not written by, hence why it wasn't great but still enjoyable.
Old 15th July 2010, 02:16     #773
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Watching Chasing Amy again after God knows how many years.

Kevin Smith writes some of the best dialogue imo. His movies that he does all himself are mostly great.

Cop Out was directed by K.S, not written by, hence why it wasn't great but still enjoyable.
So random. I watched Chasing Amy tonight. I'm revisiting all of Kevin Smith's work on Blu-ray in chronological order.

I enjoyed Cop Out, didn't see it for ages based on reviews but I enjoyed it enough. Tracy Morgan is a wee bit annoying though, it's like he's not a nigguh's nigga~
Old 15th July 2010, 02:45     #774
?>Superman

Fuck I just watched Chasing Amy about 4 days ago as well :/ Random
Old 15th July 2010, 10:18     #775
xpandnz

I bought An Evening With Kevin Smith and the Evening Harder with Kevin Smith for $14.99.

Still prefer the original over Evening Harder.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:20     #776
nostrom0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
I hear the new Karate Kid sucks balls. I haven't seen it, but have been strongly advised not to.
Yep rent the original and watch that instead.
Old 15th July 2010, 20:23     #777
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
So random. I watched Chasing Amy tonight. I'm revisiting all of Kevin Smith's work on Blu-ray in chronological order.

I enjoyed Cop Out, didn't see it for ages based on reviews but I enjoyed it enough. Tracy Morgan is a wee bit annoying though, it's like he's not a nigguh's nigga~
I wouldn't have thought Clerks needed a high def release in bluray tbh. But I'm all for him making more money from re-releases. Does the bluray have the extra's the DVD does? (which is the second digital release, after the laser disc version lawl). In particular, the original ending he was talked out of using.
Old 15th July 2010, 20:41     #778
herp

Quote:
I quite enjoyed Greenberg. Ben Stiller like I've never seen him before, so many lol as fuck moments. Check it out if you think it's your bag.
Was good, cheers.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:21     #779
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Another vote for the A Team. Really enjoyed Bradley Coopers abs.. I mean, it.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:39     #780
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

muh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
Another vote for the A Team. Really enjoyed Bradley Coopers abs.. I mean, it.
how lol, same thing i said to the other two guys i saw the movie with(my brother and my cousin) - they weren't impressed
Old 17th July 2010, 23:52     #781
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
how lol, same thing i said to the other two guys i saw the movie with(my brother and my cousin) - they weren't impressed
Yeah, about that...
Old 19th July 2010, 11:49     #782
Fred

For those considering it 'Predators' is worthy of a theatre viewing. It is very much a throwback to the eighties action film formula but does it pretty well. Best predator film since the first one.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:53     #783
David

Repo Men (the new one) was pretty cool.
Jude Law is a convincing bad ass, I was surprised.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:27     #784
Perfk
snakes & ladders

I thought Repo Men was a bit of a let-down
probably still worth watching, just feels like they could have done more with it

Also, I didn't know it was a remake? Is the original any good then?
Old 19th July 2010, 13:06     #785
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
probably still worth watching, just feels like they could have done more with it

I'm on the fence, I watched it last night. I think they could have done a lot more with it than they did. i think they were going for kind of an edgy, cool fight club sort of feel with the violence and the casuality of it all but didn't really pull it off.

The score / soundtrack was pretty awesome though.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:57     #786
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Repo Men (the new one) was pretty cool.
Jude Law is a convincing bad ass, I was surprised.
The new one? There isnt an old one. Its not a remake.
Repo MAN is an awesome 80s film that I highly recommend, but is unrelated to Repo Men.
Its similar in theme to Repo - the Genetic Opera another film I highly recommend (on Blu-Ray its fucken amazing. By far the best audio experience thus far in the format), but once again is unrelated.

Repo Men is fun, violent, and pretty gruesome. I recommend it, but its a popcorn flick. Fun but no real bite to it.

Last edited by cryocore : 19th July 2010 at 16:01.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:01     #787
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk

As per the other guy, it's not a remake but there is a similar movie and also another movie in the 80s called Repo Man.

It was alright for mindless entertainment, I mean it was no Children of Men but compared to the other recent action movies, it was pretty decent.

I hear great things about Knight and Day, off to watch with the wife on Wednesday.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:39     #788
cryocore

Just got through a bunch of UK and German Blu-Ray imports over the last few weeks.

Dread (German Import) - Effective indy horror film based on a Clive Barker short story . shot on digital cam and it shows, but still an impressive transfer. Looks nice.
Film 6 out of 10
Transfer (Video and audio) 7 out of 10

Books of Blood - Another Clive Barker short story. Interesting story, and very well made. Very decent transfer for a low budget flick.
Film 6 out of 10
Transfer (Video and audio) 7 out of 10

House of the Devil - Excellent slow burn indy horror. 80s homage. transfer is deliberatley grainy which is cool but some wont like it from a Blu-Ray disc.
Film 8.5 out of 10
Transfer (Video 7.5. Audio 8)

The Collector (German Import) - Saw/Hostel type film (from writers of Saw 3-6). Actually pretty cool. Nasty wee gore piece with some cool gags and deaths. Audio is great. Video is lacking. Still watchable but not impressive. The Region A is apparently much better.
Film 7 out of 10
Transfer (Video 5.5. Audio 8)

The Crazies - Remake of the classic Romero flick. Actually impressive. Effective, scary, violent, and a fun ride. Impressive transfer too
Film 8 out of 10
Transfer 8 out of 10

City of the Living Dead - Blu-Ray re issue from Arrow Films (they recently did Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead too. Excellent collectors sets). I love this movie. B-Grade Fulchi Zombie classic.
Film 8 out of 10
Transfer (Video 8 impressive considering the source. Audio 8)
Extras/Package 9 out of 10

Daybreakers - From the Aussies that gave us the fun Undead. Scifi/horror Vampire flick. Dumb but fun. A little cheap in places, but a great time waster.
Film 6.5
Transfer 8

2001 Maniacs : Field of Screams - Just got an advance copy. Sequel to one of the funniest indy horror flicks of the last few years. The first one is a remake of Herschell Gordon Lewis (The Godfather of Gore) Two Thousand Maniacs.
Field of Screams is offensive, non PC to the extreme, Gorey as fuck, and gloriously over the top. Its a low budget indy and revels in it.
Film 8 out of 10 (though a lot of people will just not like it. Very much a love it or hate it type of film)
Transfer 8 (impressive considering its low budget)

Last edited by cryocore : 19th July 2010 at 16:44.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:39     #789
David

Watched a pretty awesome movie last night with the wife

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489664/
Butterfly on a Wheel

Gerard Butler and Pierce Brosnan in a thriller with an original twist. Good performance by Brosnan although Butler is a bit weak in this film.

Would recommend it, it's better than the 6.7 rating it got on IMDB.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:20     #790
tarzan007

wrong thread. oops.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:41     #791
lektronimo

Watched Up In the Air last night on BR, and 10/10 for everything from me... Clooney is too awesome, so is the rest of the cast and transfer is as flawless as the cinematography and music.

Also, going to see Predators tonight... Oh yeaa!
Old 20th July 2010, 19:46     #792
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Clooney is too awesome
I'm sure CCS would thank you if he would deign to reply to your post.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th July 2010, 20:11     #793
lektronimo

While on the subject of Clooney, Man Who Stare At Goats was awesome as well, but not really in the same league as Up In The Air even though it had a top cast, and was another Oscar bait. Also it was directed by the guy who played an agent disguised as a cameraman in the epic movie that is True Lies. The one that pulls out that gun and shoots at muslim terrorist in the building scene. Yeah!
Old 20th July 2010, 21:23     #794
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Had you read anything about remote viewing before you watched it? I'd heard the Art Bell interviews with Major Ed Dames back in the day.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:33     #795
ZoSo

The Men Who Stare at Goats was very average.

Did like Repo Men.

Oh just saw cryo's list again. Yeah The Crazies was decent too. Lacked a little but had some good moments for that genre. Not totally convinced on Olyphant other than in Hitman as a leading man though.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:54     #796
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
The Men Who Stare at Goats was very average.

Did like Repo Men.

Oh just saw cryo's list again. Yeah The Crazies was decent too. Lacked a little but had some good moments for that genre. Not totally convinced on Olyphant other than in Hitman as a leading man though.
I think that dude is awesome. But no matter what I see him in I always remember him most fondly as the pimp from The Girl Next Door
Old 20th July 2010, 21:56     #797
doppelgänger of someone

Repo Men was I-want-my-2-hours-back bad.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:08     #798
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Repo Men was I-want-my-2-hours-back bad.
Yep. It possibly had promise, but it all just disappeared....
Old 20th July 2010, 22:24     #799
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Watched Planet Terror the other night, I thought it was cool in an obvious Troma-hommage way. I am getting tired of Tarantino's "remind everyone that it's just a movie" gimmick though.

And fuck, Rose Macgowan was HOT. I've never really rated her, but damn she looked awesome in Planet Terror.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:35     #800
xpandnz

Damn Porn and their overwhelming ability to decide format battles. I want more HD DVDs. I still buy them up large when they are cheap. Got Matrix Ultimate Collection, Battlestar Galactica S1 and Heroes S1 (best season imo) coming. $90 total which included shipping

Oh and trying to get hold of Mallrats which was a HD DVD release. Will cost me $20 including shipping. All these from Amazon dot com.

Apparently, the movie format is exactly the same as Bluray, just BR uses Java for menu and special features and is a larger capacity disk.

Last edited by xpandnz : 20th July 2010 at 23:37.