crocos

"Cultural problem". Ya think?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th September 2019, 17:52     #803
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Now we're obsessing over which politician knew what and when. With our big boy and girl ideas of epistemology.
Old 13th September 2019, 19:21     #804
crocos

Wow. You two are arguing like an old couple that sound like they hate each other but wouldn't be without each other.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th September 2019, 20:19     #805
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

QC Maria Dew inquiry draft terms of reference only cover the allegations themselves, not the investigation: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/115...council-stoush

#mostopenandtransparentgovtever
Old 13th September 2019, 21:10     #806
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Wow. You two are arguing like an old couple that sound like they hate each other but wouldn't be without each other.
I don't really get what's going on.

Ab's... characterisation of the circumstances seem based on the party compelling the victim to not go to the police. I didn't understand this because I saw no robust basis for that perspective. When we finally get something of some substance, it suggests the opposite. But Ab still makes this assertion.

If I ask Ab to demonstrate his knowledge, he offers a link. Walls of text with links to walls of text that I'm expected to parse to discern his understanding.

pxpx makes out like he's offering a serious perspective, but then quickly falls back to "just lolz, you funny" every time I point out the flaw in his point of view.

I've for years complained about National's policies, specifics backed with evidence. When the predicted outcomes have come to pass, demonstrated with specifics backed with evidence, this apparently earns me no credibility. I guess I was just lucky. And I bag on National because I think they're meanies. Because politics is only sport. Or something. Like I said, I don't really know.

If that's what gets pxpx jizzing on the walls... well, good for him I guess?

If the world wasn't burning, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. But it feels like why it's burning is because people with otherwise demonstrated intelligence and ability have given up and just want to get home for a drink in the evening with minimal fuss.

At least when our kids and grandkids scream at us for the misery we've served up for them, we will have had a few moments at laughing at those who wanted things different.
Old 13th September 2019, 21:19     #807
Lightspeed

But yes, I wouldn't be without Ab. Or pxpx. Or you. Not you Cyberbob.
Old 14th September 2019, 11:44     #808
Cyberbob

Apology accepted.
Old 14th September 2019, 15:02     #809
Lightspeed

Turns out a victim emailed the PM. Well that's the last nail in the coffin right? Cause the PM sits at their desk all day checking emails. Most would be boring, so this email would have immediately caught the PM's attention. /Ab logic
Old 14th September 2019, 20:34     #810
BoyWonder

Anyone with half a clue would know that the PM would have someone else monitoring their mailbox. For the MSM to report the email would surely mean that the PM has maybe lost her most important ally. What comes next is a bloodbath.
Old 14th September 2019, 21:20     #811
Lightspeed

I doubt it. At some point the adults will step in. If not, the real bloodbath will be to come, as rule of law breaks down in New Zealand.
Old 14th September 2019, 21:48     #812
Lightspeed

I really want to know, and strongly doubt anyone has any insight to offer, how does an organisation respond to allegations of a crime between members when the victim refuses to involve the police?

I get we've still got the assertion out there the organisation in this case directed the victim away from police, but no one is willing to provide a basis for that, so we can ignore it.
Old 14th September 2019, 21:55     #813
Lightspeed

Priorities in NZ right now:

power
money
sex crime hysteria
rule of law
what's for dinner tonight
putting out the rubbish
sex crime in NZ
Old 14th September 2019, 21:57     #814
Lightspeed

Peter Ellis must be rolling in his grave.
Old 16th September 2019, 11:55     #815
blynk

Quote:
I really want to know, and strongly doubt anyone has any insight to offer, how does an organisation respond to allegations of a crime between members when the victim refuses to involve the police?

I get we've still got the assertion out there the organisation in this case directed the victim away from police, but no one is willing to provide a basis for that, so we can ignore it.
I wondered the same. It's not for an organisation to be the judge, but they also need to look out for the people involved (both victim and accused).
There needs to be some form of mediation (and ensuring they allow support people) to work it out.
There's that fine line of balancing out both sides. You can't just take the word of the victim and shun the accused and you can't say that because they haven't laid a complaint with the police then nothing happened and everything just continues as is.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:17     #816
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Part of the clusterfuckery of this clusterfuck is the age-old "I went to HR and they took the side of the company" phenomenon. These idealistic young Labour volunteers think of Labour as a social movement that's going to change the world. They don't think of it as a 103-yr-old company with assets that must be protected.

As a wise man once said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Never. Ever ever. EVER. fall in to the trap of assuming that the HR department is on your side. HR is not on your side. HR is the company. Treat HR with the same politeness, professionalism, and paranoid mistrust that you would the cunt of a boss who's trying to fire you.
These poor saps went to the Labour machine with complaints about an evidently-high-value resource assuming that the machine would have their interests as its top priority.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:49     #817
Nich

Quote:
Never. Ever ever. EVER. fall in to the trap of assuming that the HR department is on your side. HR is not on your side. HR is the company. Treat HR with the same politeness, professionalism, and paranoid mistrust that you would the cunt of a boss who's trying to fire you.
This. x100

Also, make sure your digital footprint and social media is squeaky clean because HR uses this to paint a psych-profile of the employees in question.

If you want a resolution to your HR problem, draw first blood. Keep a resignation letter in your top drawer at all times.
Old 16th September 2019, 20:57     #818
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour is so shitty at this that even the lawyers are lawyering up

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@politics...ion-of-events#
Old 17th September 2019, 10:28     #819
Juju
get to da choppa

Why would he need a forensics boffin to search his computer for emails. Isn't that shit on the companies servers/teh cloud?
Old 17th September 2019, 15:14     #820
fixed_truth

It keeps getting more bizarre. Reading the response to Simon Mitchell’s statement you've got both parties very adamant that they're correct in what the correspondence was.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/16...party-inquiry/
Old 17th September 2019, 15:30     #821
Lightspeed

The only people who have the skill to deal with this kind of shit just spent the last 10 years screaming about how the nascent infrastructure to deal with this kind of shit was being torn down.

Cause there's nothing special about this shit storm. The people who've dealt with this shit in their day-to-day must be rolling their eyes out their sockets.

So much shit.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:50     #822
Cyberbob

Quote:

It'd be an HR nightmare, but I'd figure there'd be grounds to suggest the allegations alone brought the employer into disrepute, regardless of the question of police involvement.

If Josh in Accounting is publicly accused of rape tomorrow, it'd be a publicity nightmare to both stand by him, or ostracize him. It's a catch 22 completely for the organisation.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th September 2019 at 16:53.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:58     #823
Cyberbob

That being said, it's entirely HR's job to keep the Employment Disputes insurance premiums down. Might just be easier to pay either the victim or the accused to leave the organisation before it becomes a publicity nightmare.

And there lies the problem.
Old 17th September 2019, 17:28     #824
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jacinda: there will be no trial by media

Labour lawyer Mitchell: fuck that, I am an important white male professional and I'm not going to have some little girl talking shit about me ***vomits press release to the media***
Old 19th September 2019, 11:46     #825
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oops

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12268934
Old 19th September 2019, 14:42     #826
fixed_truth

Tom Sainsbury's latest satire (FB link)
Old 29th October 2019, 23:50     #827
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

can someone tell me how Phil Twyford still has a job?
Old 30th October 2019, 13:30     #828
StN
I have detailed files

When it comes to hitting targets, has anyone told Shane Jones about TeamTrees?
Old 30th October 2019, 13:45     #829
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
can someone tell me how Phil Twyford still has a job?
I've seen some headlines but it just looked like boring stuff. National's got my attention right now with their promises of how they'll get right back to being tough on beneficiaries upon re-election. They don't seem too concerned about what the government is up to.
Old 30th October 2019, 15:13     #830
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well aside from making a cockup of everything he touches ("chinese surnames", Kiwibuild, Auckland light rail, NZTA), he seems to have misled Parliament while denying one of his cockups.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...til-he-couldnt
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:25     #831
Lightspeed

Plans to combat misinformation in election-year referendum debates

I'm not sure this will get very far, too many people have use of misinformation.

And this doesn't help:

Andrew Little declares little confidence in Advertising Standards Authority

Quote:
Andrew Little was talking about how the government aimed to crack down on misinformation campaigns when he said he had little confidence in the judgement of the Advertising Standards Authority.

Last month, the authority dismissed a complaint he made in a personal capacity about a newspaper ad run by a National Party MP.
This reminds me a bit too much of Nick Smith dealing with Fish & Game.
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:48     #832
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

surpriiiiiise

Quote:
A data breach has exposed the personal details of thousands of gun owners and led to police closing its firearm buyback platform.

The details of more than 37,000 firearm owners, including the guns they possess and bank account information, may have been made publicly available, according to the Council of Licensed Firearms Owners (Colfo).

The gun lobby group said it had received the data from a supporter and has released some images obtained in the breach, with personal details redacted.

Police confirmed the "potential privacy breach" on Monday afternoon
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...uyback-website
Old 2nd December 2019, 19:40     #833
Lightspeed

When I saw that headline I just laughed. But it was one of those I really just want to cry laughs.

What's the bet it wasn't even SAP, that's just the bullshit the local consultancy has spun. So many cunts in IT/IS in NZ.
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:29     #834
pxpx

^^ so true, it's the classic blame SAP
Old 6th December 2019, 12:14     #835
Lightspeed

Kris Faafoi needs to go. If he wants to use Government for his mates, he should join the National party.
Old 6th December 2019, 13:22     #836
pxpx

It's a shame really, he's one of the few Labour Ministers with genuine ability. Kinda hope he stays.
Old 6th December 2019, 13:33     #837
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Came here to post the exact same sentiment. Yes this would be a failure of good Ministerial judgement but it's not as if he's a walking disaster movie like Curran or Twyford.
Old 6th December 2019, 14:39     #838
fixed_truth

Will have to wait to see any evidence of wrongdoing & how it plays out. At best not a good look but he's just made sure his mate had the right process. At worst he's using his influence in a way not permitted.
Old 6th December 2019, 14:50     #839
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Came here to post the exact same sentiment. Yes this would be a failure of good Ministerial judgement but it's not as if he's a walking disaster movie like Curran or Twyford.
Indeed, it's not quite at the level of Minister of Police trying to intervene in a police investigation.

But it's still bullshit and we demand heads roll for much less.

He should have just said he would assist with navigating formal process.
Old 6th December 2019, 17:30     #840
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nick Smith involved himself in an ACC claim and had to fall on his sword remember.

You'd think that there would be "Loose lips sink ships"-style exhortations on the inside of Ministerial toilet cubicles or something.

"Do not offer to assist anyone in anything, if you are asked to do so please contact the Chief Whip for a reply template before choking yourself"

"If you are asked to intervene in anything to do with immigration go straight to choke yourself"

"If you are contacted by a person in the NZ music industry torch all your social media accounts... and then choke yourself"