NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th October 2019, 13:11     #4001
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jojo Rabbit not screening in Australia until Dec 26, WTF??

I WILL BE DRUNK ON A BEACH IN AOTEAROA ON DEC 26
Old 22nd October 2019, 15:30     #4002
Cyberbob

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Final Trailer
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:10     #4003
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Meh
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:14     #4004
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Star Wars: Rise of teenage angst and huggy feels.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th November 2019, 13:26     #4005
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Jojo Rabbit not screening in Australia until Dec 26, WTF??

I WILL BE DRUNK ON A BEACH IN AOTEAROA ON DEC 26
Just got back from taking the kids. Downside to the first session of the day is that they turned the sound on but forgot the projector. So missed all the ads. Meh.

Upside - The Titanluxe(sp?) theatre was full of StN, the boy and his sister. And some other couple.

The musical bookends of classic tunes sung in German was excellent. Had me laugh out loud at the start.

Hitler in his togs for-the-win.
Old 13th November 2019, 20:04     #4006
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
The musical bookends of classic tunes sung in German was excellent. Had me laugh out loud at the start.
Oh man, the wife has been thrashing the "Ten Tenors" so much that when the humming started I knew what the song was, but didn't realise it was a splicing of two version until the guitar strains of "Heldon".

And while I'v got the spoiler tag out (how far can I push Simon... oh look, links are visible!) using the Beatles to express fanaticism through "Komm, gib mir deine Hand" in the opening credits was excellent
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:53     #4007
StN
I have detailed files

And - without giving anything away that you won't know from history, this is also implicated. So perhaps Bowie has replaced Michael Jackson as his Muso of choice when doing movies about young chaps.

Last edited by StN : 22nd November 2019 at 11:55.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:27     #4008
pxpx

do not bother with 6 underground
Old 16th December 2019, 10:21     #4009
blynk

good to note. Saw it pop up. Wife will watch anything with RR in it.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:57     #4010
pxpx

It's seriously so bad.
Old 20th December 2019, 23:25     #4011
Lightspeed

You didn't realise you were watching a Michael Bay movie? Or, as a Michael Bay fan, you're saying this is a bad movie?

I found all the murder just enough on the edge of comical and realistic to feel slightly uncomfortable as I laughed at the tumbling bodies. I can just see the war movies they're going to make with that style, I thought it was very effective at communicating extreme violence.

Quite keen to see the critiques by one of them graphics teams that pore over the effects in movies. Michael Bay still loves setting off fireworks when cars crash.
Old 21st December 2019, 18:47     #4012
Cyberbob

I really enjoyed The Rise Of Skywalker. I thought it did a great job of being the ninth episode, and will definitely see it more than once.

I know not everyone enjoyed it, but I absolutely did.
Old 21st December 2019, 20:28     #4013
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You didn't realise you were watching a Michael Bay movie? Or, as a Michael Bay fan, you're saying this is a bad movie?
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/fe...-movies-ranked

Films 8-1 are all "pretty good". You can't by default, just rule Bay out. But you can rule 6 Underground out
Old 21st December 2019, 21:39     #4014
Lightspeed

What did you make of the death effects? That was next level, right?
Old 22nd December 2019, 19:40     #4015
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
What did you make of the death effects? That was next level, right?
Yea I appreciated the bodies being flung out of cars exploding into pieces as a nice touch of 'realism'
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:09     #4016
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
The Rise of Skywalker
Just saw it. In Hollywood at the Chinese theatre in IMAX 3D. It was less enjoyable than the final ep of The Mandalorian I watched on my laptop while flying back to NZ about four hours later.
Old 4th January 2020, 09:49     #4017
Cyberbob

Saw Jojo Rabbit last night. It went in some interesting directions, had some heart felt moments, surprising tension, and a great look at last hour Germany and the youth wrapped up in it all.

Special mention to the fanaticism comparison to Beatlemania, with a load of footage of German youth that I'd never seen before.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 4th January 2020 at 09:50.
Old 31st January 2020, 00:57     #4018
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

please don't suck
Old 31st January 2020, 07:14     #4019
Ajax
Architeuthis

I think it's going to be good - Denis Villeneuve is the perfect director.
Old 31st January 2020, 09:40     #4020
Cyberbob

I want it to stand on its own as an awesome scifi film.

it needs to be marketed the shit out of, and intrigue a new generation. The target demographic is not those that remember a topless Sting. if it only appeals to that demo, then it'll fail. No one's touched the Dune franchise in almost 20 years, so I'm hoping it can be done.
Old 12th April 2020, 10:16     #4021
Nich

Mandy. Nicholas Cage. Go into this knowing nothing and you will enjoy this movie a lot. You get to see pretty much the entire spectrum of Nicholas Cage.

I Lost My Body. Absolutely beautiful animated film. Again, go in knowing nothing, enjoy the journey and trust me it is very good.
Old 12th April 2020, 12:50     #4022
Know me.

I think I might have posted this before but there is a great documentary called Three Identical Strangers. Its about triplets separated at birth and then reunited. The story takes some twists so don't google, just watch.
Old 12th April 2020, 20:22     #4023
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Absolutely beautiful animated film.
I recently watched "It's Such A Beautiful Day" which is also animated, although perhaps not exactly "beautiful" - black comedy/drama - and I enjoyed that.
Old 12th April 2020, 21:23     #4024
MadMax
Stuff

Demolition Man.

Be well.
Old 15th April 2020, 11:25     #4025
Cyberbob

Knives Out

Saw this one last night. Really enjoyed this black comedy murder mystery from Rian Johnson.
The character dynamics worked well, the plot was revealed nicely, and it was really entertaining from start to finish.
Old 20th April 2020, 07:16     #4026
pxpx

Watched "The Gentlemen" last night. Pretty standard Guy Ritchie fare, really enjoyable to be honest. Hugh Grant was great in it.
Old 24th April 2020, 18:39     #4027
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Wanted a family pizza flick last night and we watched Superman Returns. I know Bryan Singer is an unperson now but man, I had forgotten what a great superhero film this is.

Brandon Routh nails the "boy scout" optimistic Superman. After Zack Synder's three DC Murderverse disasters it was just nice to see Superman as a hero again. When Clark ran out into the street pulling his shirt apart and the John Williams score played my inner comic-book kid almost teared up.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:13     #4028
[fe]

Watched one of the hobbit 4-hour edits - I havent seen the trilogy and really enjoyed it for what it was. Up until they reach the town before the mountain is a quest story of bilbo and the dwarves and it holds together, after that point it becomes much more disjointed - I assume there are lots more intertwining storylines that have been cut. A couple of highlights.

- Legolas appears as a unnamed extra for a minute or so as a capable fighter.
- Barrels scene is short and functional.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:53     #4029
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

For me the most jarring thing about the movies is the steely-eyed muscular mature Legolas, knowing that he’s a hundred years younger than the innocent lanky young Legolas of TLOTR.
Old 27th April 2020, 19:29     #4030
pxpx

Barrels scene, where they randomly switch to a gopro, including the sound from said gopro, was the more jarring than old//young legolas. I still am not over it.
Old 28th April 2020, 23:37     #4031
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Wow, Endgame was a YEAR ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh my fucking god.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:11     #4032
Ajax
Architeuthis

For those interested in the new Dune movie there is a bunch of pics here.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:33     #4033
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I buy Chalamet as Paul and Ferguson as Jessica. Not sure about Bardem and Isaac and Momoa. Fingers crossed.
Old 29th April 2020, 14:17     #4034
Ajax
Architeuthis

The House Atreides battle armor looks pretty sweet. The dress uniform in the group photo seems to take design cues from the Waffen SS.
Old 29th April 2020, 14:29     #4035
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ahahaha imagine a revisionist Dune script where House Atreides are a bunch of Stalinist commissars oppressing the freedom-loving capitalist entrepreneurial Harkonnens, heads would explode.
Old 29th April 2020, 16:10     #4036
Cyberbob

The Stillsuits look awesome but fuck wearing those while filming in the desert.

The dress uniforms looked like something out of Equilibrium.

I have big hopes for this movie.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th April 2020 at 16:13.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:44     #4037
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Warners to release Zack Snyder's cut of "Justice League" on its own streaming service HBO Max next year:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/z...ax-1234611928/
Old 21st May 2020, 10:47     #4038
Cyberbob

I enjoyed Man of Steel, hated Bat vs Supes, mildly enjoyed Wonder Woman, and I never watched Justice League.

A lot of people are eager to see the Snyder cut, and there must be a lot of faith in it for them to pay for all the CG involved in bringing cutting room floor reels to release quality.
Old 21st May 2020, 13:25     #4039
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

we don't mention that other show

Faith? Warnermedia just wants to build hype for HBO Max. God, how far has HBO fallen. The network that gave us Oz and the Sopranos and Chernobyl is now the place to watch Gossip Girl, Big Bang Theory, and Friends. And the Snyder Cut.
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:46     #4040
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The network that gave us Oz
Best. Prison. Show. Ever.