Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18th May 2003, 14:44     #161
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blur^
this is so much better when many people think about it, gotta love multiple cluster processing

yup. agreed - I'm just back from seeing it and I walked out thinking "yup, good action movie (& cool, I can now read the NZG threads)"....

Now I've read teh threads and gotta a few other perspectives, I neeeeed to see it again...

Damn you NZGames... Damn you to Hell for making me think!

Old 18th May 2003, 14:49     #162
Uncle Gus

Quote:
Originally posted by Rince
Now I've read teh threads and gotta a few other perspectives, I neeeeed to see it again...
Definitely. It's a lot better the second time.
Old 18th May 2003, 15:06     #163
::Shocker

Saw it last night. Thought it was absolutely incredible - now I'm all hyped-up for Revolutions :-)
Old 18th May 2003, 16:09     #164
MadMax
Stuff

Re: Re: opinions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoon1
Huh?

----

My biggest bugbear is that Tank is dead in Reloaded but he didn't die in the first one...
like mouse - they bring in a character that looks and acts just like him (that immature kid that keeps following neo around, and hands him the spoon).
Old 18th May 2003, 16:13     #165
MadMax
Stuff

anyone else think that mech that was behind the zion defence door moved way too mechanically? Like the spider in Krull or the (can't remember its name) machine to replace/kill robocop.
Old 18th May 2003, 16:27     #166
Jonan

Thumbs up

Ed 2 0 9. ? :/

Looks like the Dreadnaut in Space Crusade. ;D
Old 18th May 2003, 16:32     #167
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax
anyone else think that mech that was behind the zion defence door moved way too mechanically? Like the spider in Krull or the (can't remember its name) machine to replace/kill robocop.
the first thing i thought of when i saw it, was the silly CGI that was used for that police robot in robocop 1
Old 18th May 2003, 16:57     #168
Reet

Quote:
anyone else think that mech that was behind the zion defence door moved way too mechanically?
... It's a mech.
Old 18th May 2003, 17:02     #169
MadMax
Stuff

sure, its a mech, but even they dont seem to move weird. Its almost as if it was recorded at a different frame rate to that of the movie. (thanks jonan, yes ed209). Cyberbob is onto it.
Old 18th May 2003, 17:06     #170
Russian

When I saw that mech I was thinking "Wow, some vintage stop-motion". :E
Old 18th May 2003, 17:17     #171
MadMax
Stuff

ah so that's what they call it
Old 18th May 2003, 17:50     #172
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberbob
the first thing i thought of when i saw it, was the silly CGI that was used for that police robot in robocop 1
CGI?

lol

no. it was not cgi. it was stop-motion animation. Computer technology was not at the point where CGI in movies was possible when robocop was made.
Old 18th May 2003, 17:55     #173
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

I didn't understand the Matrix in the first place (I fell asleep during the first movie) so I basically went into this movie with the intention of watching it, enjoying it, but not trying to understand it.

What ruined it for me was the incredibly slow first third. Damn it just dragged and dragged until the trio met up with the dodgy French dude and his cool wife (she rocked, full thumbs up for that character).

And I agree with those who say the fight scenes were too long, esp the scene with the Smiths (after Neo meets the Oracle). Seriously, it gets a tad boring watching one guy fight dozens of the same person.

But all in all, an enjoyment. I did love the special effects, esp the freeway scenes.

Edit- damn, should this have gone into the spoiler thread?

Last edited by chiquelet : 18th May 2003 at 17:56.
Old 18th May 2003, 18:14     #174
Cyberbob

muh

thats what i meant :P
that weird thingie they used to use for special effects when they didnt have CGI :>
Old 18th May 2003, 18:21     #175
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom
CGI? lol no. it was not cgi. it was stop-motion animation. Computer technology was not at the point where CGI in movies was possible when robocop was made.
i thought that some of the corridors in star wars were cgi
Old 18th May 2003, 18:24     #176
yem

This review pretty much reflects my opinion on Reloaded. A few clever scenes but nothing as cohesive or memorable as the first. They seriously fucked up the mythology delivery IMHO.
Old 18th May 2003, 18:44     #177
MadMax
Stuff

sure the movie was flawed, but it is still the matrix

or maybe there is no matrix - and neo just wakes up
Old 18th May 2003, 18:45     #178
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
i thought that some of the corridors in star wars were cgi
Not a chance.
Old 18th May 2003, 18:45     #179
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberbob
thats what i meant :P
that weird thingie they used to use for special effects when they didnt have CGI :>
teehehe
Old 18th May 2003, 18:46     #180
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom
Not a chance.
anyone remember those old osborne computing books? one of them had a mention of star wars...
Old 18th May 2003, 18:50     #181
Blaz3y

Okay the one thing that I'm confused about:

The smith has rebelled against the matrix as far as I can tell. Now, according to the KFC looking guy who invented the matrix, all the events that are happening have been planned and are meant to happen... including the destruction of Zion. BUT, smith(who was inside the guy who was inside Zion) obviously triggered the EMP which lead to the destruction of Zion. Now if smith really had rebelled against the Matrix, that event of him triggering the EMP wouldnt have been planned (or wouldnt have happened in the other 6 matrix versions) because smith wouldnt have entered that guys body therefore that guy wouldnt have triggered the EMP. But the EMP was what lead to Zions destruction so how does that work?

Okay this proabably dosnt make sense but it works in my head
Old 18th May 2003, 19:33     #182
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
anyone remember those old osborne computing books? one of them had a mention of star wars...
The only thing I know they used computers for in Star Wars was timing / controlling the cameras. They'd shoot a model, then the lights for that model, then the backdrop and then combine the components so you get a lit model zooming around on a background. To do this, they needed the exact path of the camera to be controlled by a computer so once they had the shot, it could be repeated as many times as necessary to get the various components of the final shot.
Old 18th May 2003, 19:35     #183
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaz3y
Okay this proabably dosnt make sense but it works in my head
Zion would have been destroyed with or without the EMP. The counter attack would not have worked.
Old 18th May 2003, 19:47     #184
leadinjector

odd that people complain about the boring bits and in the same breath complain that the fights are too long. I like long fights, and the brawl was pretty fahkin incredible.
Old 18th May 2003, 19:53     #185
Lumpy
The Bicycle for Fish

So... Was Zion destroyed or just the ships and crew in the counterattack? It seemed a little vague to me in the movie. Maybe somebody can find the exact dialogue to clear it up.
Old 18th May 2003, 20:12     #186
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquelet
I didn't understand the Matrix in the first place (I fell asleep during the first movie) so ....
.... the rest of your opinion means what exactly?
Old 18th May 2003, 20:14     #187
Rivertrog

the whole movie was everything that I expected it to be and more.. definitely requires more than one viewing.. when neo was talking to the architect i was just going like huh whoa slow down dude.. too much information...

I laughed my ass off about the keymaster... hehehe "i am the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?!" heehhehe only there were no giant mr stay pufts.. oh well

and trinity using nmap and some ssh exploit to hax0r the building hehehe classic!
Old 18th May 2003, 20:15     #188
Russian

Just the ships.
Old 18th May 2003, 20:54     #189
Evoke

Quote:
Originally posted by yem
This review pretty much reflects my opinion on Reloaded.
totally agree except i hated the "bumping uglies" scene, and still will go to see the revolutions.
Old 18th May 2003, 21:07     #190
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
I watched the first movie on divx late one night for the first time..fell asleep, and woke up at the end having no idea what had just happened.

And I did mention that I went into Matrix Reloaded with the intention of just watching it and enjoying it, so from the pov of a laywoman, yeah, it did lag a lot in parts.
Old 18th May 2003, 21:07     #191
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger

After which you will be required to select from the matrix 23 individuals, 16 female, 7 male, to rebuild Zion.
The chancellors in Zion had a similar ratio. Next time I go i'll count

Matrix-within-matrix is what i'm putting my money on atm.
Old 18th May 2003, 21:18     #192
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
so from the pov of a laywoman, yeah, it did lag a lot in parts.
Quote:
Old 18th May 2003, 21:24     #193
Bread

I loved Reloaded, although I have to agree with chiqulete. IMO, the fight scene with Smith could have been shortened up a bit...despite the fact that it was pretty fucking awesome, I know quite a few people thought it was just a bit too long.

And I still can't quite figure out that rave, what the fuck was going on there? :P

Still, I'm seriously kicking myself for not seeing the Animatrix now. Hopefully I'll be going to Reloaded again in a week or so, then it's just a long wait until November

BTW - How did they get the Oracle in? I though the actress had passed away shortly before they started filming, but I guess not.
Old 18th May 2003, 22:49     #194
Snake

Quote:
Originally posted by Bread
And I still can't quite figure out that rave, what the fuck was going on there? :P

<snip>

BTW - How did they get the Oracle in? I though the actress had passed away shortly before they started filming, but I guess not.
I think that just in case the machines won and Zion fell, the rave was their last celebration of life.

And the actress passed away before they started filming the third movie. I'm interested in seeing how that turns out.
Old 18th May 2003, 23:23     #195
Zag0r
C8H10N4O2

Devil grin

the plot etc rocks, but the movie did seriously drag in parts. the smith scene was meg, good bits + weak bits.
Old 18th May 2003, 23:24     #196
Snake

I've just realised something which also makes sense...

'the kid' gave Neo a gift from an 'orphan' (obviously the 'buddha kid from the first movie) - the spoon.

Remember the buddha kid's message? "There is no spoon."

It was a message to Neo that the spoon in Zion is as much an illusion as the spoon in the Matrix!
Old 18th May 2003, 23:45     #197
MadMax
Stuff

i loved the way the smiths (in the 1001 smiths scene) were naturally so software-like. You could see them looking at neos flight path, then looking at where he was about to land and already running to that location.

mint.

and the tie fixing after realising they had lost... pure class.

Last edited by MadMax : 18th May 2003 at 23:46.
Old 18th May 2003, 23:58     #198
Uncle Gus

Quote:
I didn't understand the Matrix in the first place (I fell asleep during the first movie)
Yeah, I'm with Rince on this one, why are you even saying anything? Please don't take that personally, I'm not like smacking you down or anything, it's a genuine question. I don't understand why you'd even watch the second one at all if you hadn't understood the first one.

Like my friend the other day, we were sitting around talking about it and he was involved in the conversation, I can't remember what he was saying or anything, then he agreed with something someone else said, and then he's like "but I haven't seen either of them" and we were like "wtf? Why are you even here? You're banned. Get out." (words to that effect.)

Crazy.
Old 19th May 2003, 00:00     #199
Simon
SHG

Quote:
Damn it just dragged and dragged until the trio met up with the dodgy French dude and his cool wife (she rocked, full thumbs up for that character).
Wow, what chiquelet loved about the movie was the French woman. Didn't see THAT coming.
Old 19th May 2003, 00:02     #200
Uncle Gus

Hehehe, at a glance I read that as "full thumbs up that character." Hehehe.