NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th February 2020, 11:53     #41
Lightspeed

I think a major cultural shift as a result of this virus will be protecting oneself against such viruses (like influenza and the cold) will become normalised.

Right now, despite the volume of deaths influenza causes each yeah, we don't make any particular effort to protect the population from it. No one is being checked for elevated temperatures before starting their shift preparing the food you eat, right? There's no particular legislation ensuring potentially contagious people stay away from shared offices. Right now we tolerate sickness, mainly because we're bullies and expect people to work when sick, because it's inconvenient otherwise, with the people who die as a consequence normalised.

Of course, there are many responses to death from absolute concern to absolute disinterest. Maybe we develop a kind of Logan's Run mentality, where these viruses keep in check the burdens of ageing populations?
Old 26th February 2020, 12:52     #42
Ajax
Architeuthis

Shit is really starting to escalate in Europe. Cases popping up in Germany, Spain.
Old 26th February 2020, 14:41     #43
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Right now, despite the volume of deaths influenza causes each yeah, we don't make any particular effort to protect the population from it.
The last three corporate businesses i've worked for are more than happy to pay for me to get a flu shot. I know not every business in NZ will be as giving, but it's at least something.

That being said, good luck rationing out those five annual sick days. Sure, I won't be able to get better while forcing myself through the work day, and I'll likely infect my R2.3 people, but I can't afford not to go to work for the day.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 26th February 2020 at 14:42.
Old 26th February 2020, 15:35     #44
Lightspeed

I'm with this guy:

Old 26th February 2020, 17:27     #45
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
The last three corporate businesses i've worked for are more than happy to pay for me to get a flu shot. I know not every business in NZ will be as giving, but it's at least something.
Yeah it's becoming more common but what fucks me off are a lot of people still won't get it. There needs to be a big public campaign along the lines of 'get vaccinated for them' ie any vulnerable people you might unknowingly pass it on to & they end up very sick or dead.
Old 26th February 2020, 20:33     #46
Cyberbob

I stand corrected: We're fucked.

Coronavirus: Man receives $3,500 medical bill for test after returning to US from China

Guess what flu symptomatic people are not going to do now.
Old 26th February 2020, 20:42     #47
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Go to work because they can’t afford not to?
Old 26th February 2020, 22:18     #48
pxpx

Started my doomsday prepping by fertilizing my lime tree. Should have a good supply in a few months to make any coronas that appear in the beer fridge taste not like piss.
Old 26th February 2020, 23:28     #49
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Religion ftw

Quote:
Iran's deputy health minister and an MP have both tested positive for the new coronavirus, as it struggles to contain an outbreak that has killed 15.

The country is one of three hot-spots outside China causing concern that the virus could be becoming a pandemic.

The deputy minister, Iraj Harirchi, on Monday denied covering up the scale of the outbreak. He appeared in physical discomfort as he spoke to reporters.

Iran has reported 95 cases, but the actual number is thought to be higher.

Unlike in Italy, Iranian officials are refusing to impose quarantines in areas affected by the outbreak. They say quarantines are old-fashioned and that they do not believe in them.

The Shia shrines in the cities of Qom and Mashhad are still open, despite Qom being a hotbed of the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51628484
Old 27th February 2020, 09:43     #50
Nich

Someone needs to tell them this is a huge setback to their "outbreed the rest of the world" master plan! ;P

I don't know why governments even post the numbers when everyone (news media, social media, politicians) says "but the number is probably much higher".

Market Nihilism: Price Discovery in a World Where Nothing Matters | Ben Hunt & Grant Williams
https://hiddenforces.io/podcasts/mar...rant-williams/

Maybe having a specific number is the only anchor governments can offer to maintain the facade of calm and competent leadership.

Just think of the conversations you've had relating to coronavirus, and how much of that conversation is spent discussing these blatantly made up numbers. Instead of, say, a plan incase anyone of your family got the virus, it was severe, and the hospitals were at capacity.
Old 27th February 2020, 09:51     #51
Nich

Australian government has put this plan into action:
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...covid-19_1.pdf

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/press-co...iament-house-2
Old 27th February 2020, 12:20     #52
Lightspeed

Maybe it's this.

Our economies are all running hot, they don't have the give they used to, at least developed economies. We've chipped and chipped away at buffers and protections, now we lack the preparedness to respond to crises, so the response is to not respond. Just let it happen. It is what it is. Get back to work, so you can buy shitty products, that are engineered to be the bare minimum that will sell.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:54     #53
Nich

I agree, and think the response is definitely no response.

But governments, central banks, and chief medical officers stand on podiums and say "We're managing this crisis." or "We're responsible for this great economy." . It does more damage than good to make people believe help is on the way. All to justify their managerial role.

The Australian bushfires got the same non-response. Help is there if you need it, call this number to see if you're eligible for government assistance. That 1800 number is manned by 1 person for Victoria region (her name is Keira), and 6 people Australia wide. ATO has offered a tax deferment for some regions until June, but my region is excluded even though the Summer tourist trade is a write off for the majority of businesses here. Of course, you can call that 1800 number to make your case that you should get a deferment too and good luck with that. In the end, the tax will pile up and will come due in June anyway.

The status quo is fake it until it becomes true. How quickly things have shifted from "We're containing this.", "This is seems to only affect Asians." to "Everyone should probably have at least 2 weeks worth of food."

The economy is not so hot anymore! We may get that 20,000 point drop even in this new fraudulent market held together by QE 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... The weaponry to fight the war on market volatility now doesn't make a dent.

I hope those stop loss orders were in place for you guys.

Last edited by Nich : 28th February 2020 at 10:56.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:27     #54
Nich

This video was just leaked showing what's going on in California right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OilisaAv0I
Old 28th February 2020, 13:35     #55
pxpx

We're all gonna die, clearly.
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/
Old 28th February 2020, 14:01     #56
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old people and heart disease you say? I for one welcome the Great Deboomering!
Old 28th February 2020, 14:14     #57
Nich

As Robyn's mum says: "Well, Nicholas, you've got to die from something!"
Old 28th February 2020, 14:53     #58
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Religion ftw
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...korea/11993682
Old 28th February 2020, 15:27     #59
blynk

It will make the question about paying people the pension a lot easier.

It will also help take out the people that probably shouldnt have been alive, but modern medicine has extended their life longer than it should have
Old 28th February 2020, 19:48     #60
Cyberbob

New Zealand confirms case of Covid-19 coronavirus

Quote:
The person who has been confirmed to have New Zealand's first case of the Covid-19 coronavirus "followed all of the steps you would hope would be followed", says the Health Minister.
Ardern said the person was in their 60s, and was a citizen of New Zealand who had recently travelled from Iran via Bali. They had previously tested negative for Covid-19 twice.
Old 28th February 2020, 21:54     #61
blynk

Quote:
And now confirmed reports from gossipy facebook sites that all the handsanitiser from the supermarkets in high density asian areas has sold out
Old 28th February 2020, 22:22     #62
Lightspeed

facepalm

Plutocracy FTW:

Quote:
'So here's what appears to be chain of events:

The Trump administration repatriated infected Americans over the objections of the CDC.

HHS then sent federal workers to interact with the infected population without adequate training or protection

Then those workers went out into the public with no monitoring or testing regime in place.

And now the first US-contracted case has appeared right near one of the airforce bases where this all happened.

When someone at HHS raised alarms about all this s/he was criticized for hurting morale and then ordered to another position or be fired.

This is real real real bad.'
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrislhay...49899446857729
Old 29th February 2020, 00:17     #63
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh shit, serious?
Old 29th February 2020, 00:32     #64
Lightspeed

U.S. Health Workers Responding to Coronavirus Lacked Training and Protective Gear, Whistle-Blower Says
Old 29th February 2020, 09:14     #66
Ajax
Architeuthis

Look at all these dimwitted morons in the media suddenly having the revelation that this coronavirus might actually be a serious problem, months after the fact.
Old 29th February 2020, 11:33     #67
Nich

Unfortunately for the people in the US, it is an election year and such bad news isn't great for reelection. So suppress it they must.

Don't Test, Don't Tell
https://www.epsilontheory.com/dont-test-dont-tell/
Old 29th February 2020, 14:18     #68
Nich

US stocks down 4 trillion. Globally we're down 6 trillion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/glob...-six-days.html

That's the entire US federal budget. rekt.
Old 29th February 2020, 18:22     #69
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Unfortunately for the people in the US, it is an election year and such bad news isn't great for reelection. So suppress it they must.
One look at the average covid19 victim, and the average Republican voter, and you'd think they'd be doing all they can to boost health care right now.

Also: Supermarkets were fucking packed today. Stuff flying off the shelves. Business is booming in the short term.
Old 29th February 2020, 19:13     #70
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Didn't you hear? Coronavirus is fake news being weaponised by the Democrats to damage El Presidente.
Old 29th February 2020, 19:42     #71
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Didn't you hear? Coronavirus is fake news being weaponised by the Democrats to damage El Presidente.
Hah, that was Iran's leadership response until members of government started falling sick.

Here's a self-nursing shopping list:
Old 29th February 2020, 22:40     #72
Nich

Quote:
Also: Supermarkets were fucking packed today. Stuff flying off the shelves. Business is booming in the short term.
Looks like Pak n Save can send their thank you cheque to Weekend Herald

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...tm_name=iossmf
Old 1st March 2020, 01:09     #73
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich

Here's a self-nursing shopping list:
Told you man, forsythia.

I started overshopping this week. Not masks and gloves and bodybags, tinned and bottled stuff. I'm not so concerned in an "omg we're all going to die it's the end times" way, more in a "it's entirely possible that schools and shopping centres and supermarkets will close and public transport will shut down" way. Buying more nonperishable food than normal every time we shop for the near future just seems sensible.

Basically preparing, gently, for the prospect of being unable to buy food or go anywhere where there are other people for a while. Best case scenario, nothing happens and we're a bit sheepish but have a really full pantry. Worst case scenario, no amount of prep makes a difference.
Old 1st March 2020, 10:06     #74
Cyberbob

I hope the Olympics skip this year.

If there's one or two* things I've learned from playing years of Plague Inc (which has been taken off the China App Store, fyi), it's that the Olympics are the best thing to happen to a virus.

*We should all just move to Greenland or Madagascar.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 1st March 2020 at 10:07.
Old 1st March 2020, 16:16     #75
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Basically preparing, gently, for the prospect of being unable to buy food or go anywhere where there are other people for a while.
Taking bets for how long until Ab starts building a survival bunker.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st March 2020, 19:10     #76
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I started overshopping this week.
I did this today as well. A couple of extra tins of fruit and baked beans. 1 or 2 things here and there a week.

Except toilet paper, that shit was basically gone.
Rice & Pasta aisles were a bit bare as well.
Old 1st March 2020, 19:13     #77
blynk

I am heading to Texas early May for a few days for work. It's going to be interesting watching what people will be like.
Old 1st March 2020, 23:45     #78
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
I hope the Olympics skip this year.
I hope it continues, with a big push for transgender athletes.
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:16     #79
Ajax
Architeuthis

Mortality rate in Italy..

Old 2nd March 2020, 19:58     #80
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I did this today as well. A couple of extra tins of fruit and baked beans. 1 or 2 things here and there a week.

Except toilet paper, that shit was basically gone.
Rice & Pasta aisles were a bit bare as well.
Went to the Supermarket tonight, gotta get some olive oil-tick, frozen veges-tick and rice-ti...wtf?, 2 out of 3 ain't bad as Meatloaf would say, fucking panic buyers all I wanted was a packet of rice! Jesus Christ.