NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th December 2017, 20:12     #3681
Cyberbob

Spoilers, duh.

From Reddit, a year ago. Two guys totally called it.
Old 19th December 2017, 20:57     #3682
Cyberbob

I really liked the movie, for what appears to be the same reasons why other people hated it.

People expected a Star Wars movie..
The big Vader/Tarkin Empire versus the small but strong willed rebels.
The far fetched plan that ends up being successful against all odds.
The 'ends justify the means' renegade with no consequences.
The important heritage of the heroes mysterious parents.
The importance of the mysterious puppet master.

The entire movie was about taking what you expect from a Star Wars movie, and flipping it on its head.

You thought Hux was an important and respected like Tarkin? Nope. Immediately mocked by Poe, and called out for not launching fighters earlier.
You thought Poe's daredevil plan to take out the Dreadnaught was going to be without repercussions? Nope, demoted for losing an entire fleet of bombers.
You thought passing the light sabre to Luke was important? Nope. Immediately thrown over his shoulder.
Think the elaborate "just might work" hail mary plan of the 'rebels in the resistance' is going to work? Nope.
Think the chance encounter with a master hacker will result in success? Nope.
Think Rey's parents were Kenobi's, Skywalkers, or something important? Nope.
Think Leia's going to die in space? Nope. (That, I would change)
Think Snoke's true identity will reveal something awesome? Nope.
Think Kylo can be redeemed? Nope, doubles down on being evil.
Think Yoda will be CG? Nope. Just one awesome Puppet.
Think Holdo will see the error in her ways and recognize the awesomeness that is the renegade war hero? Nope.
Think the resistance shuttles can safely evacuate undetected? Nope.
Think Finn's going to go out in a blaze of glory, saving his friends? Nope.
Think Luke's going to survive? Nope.

I sat there thinking "Wow, didn't expect that." pretty much the entire time.
It's entirely out of place with regards to the usual Star Wars tropes, and that's a good thing in my mind.
Old 20th December 2017, 12:49     #3683
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Well, that's a given, shit went down, remember?

That was the Republic capital....I said Rebels...their assets in TFA were far more significant.

Wiki..

"Starkiller Base fires and destroys the Republic capital star system"
Old 20th December 2017, 12:56     #3684
crocos

Makes the Death Star look like amateur hour

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th December 2017, 17:32     #3685
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
That was the Republic capital....I said Rebels...their assets in TFA were far more significant.
Wiki..
"Starkiller Base fires and destroys the Republic capital star system"
By Rebels I'll assume you're talking about the Resistance, which was a small splinter group of like-minded individuals in the New Republic's military, being funded by the galactic senate.

Starkiller then knocked out the Republic star system, including the galactic senate.
The next target was the home of the resistance's base on D'Quar
but Starkiller base was destroyed before it could fire.

It's my understanding that the Resistance is tiny, far smaller than the Rebel Alliance in the original trilogy. The Rebel Alliance was just that, an alliance of groups. In TLJ the Resistance is desperately trying to call for allies and no one's answering.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 20th December 2017 at 17:36.
Old 21st December 2017, 15:33     #3686
Lightspeed

Which explains the rebel's limited tactical discipline and competence. It also explains multi-talented survivors, who can fix star cruisers and pilot fighters. Everyone is doing what needs to be done, not necessarily just what they're good at.

At the end they're left trusting in the force, and the force delivers. The darkness is again proven blind and the light triumphs... for as long as it remembers the shadow it casts.
Old 24th December 2017, 06:56     #3687
leadinjector

enjoyed Bright, it got trashed by critic reviews

thought star wars was mediocre as fuck, it got glowing reviews

what is my life
Old 24th December 2017, 11:01     #3688
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's on the Christmas play list.

On the subject of underrated movies, Supernova was recently added to Netflix. I still don't get why its rating is so low, it's a great action sci-fi. James Spader is bad-ass.
Old 25th December 2017, 21:06     #3689
Cyberbob

Watching Jingle All The Way at the moment. Underrated xmas movie, 10/10.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:29     #3690
StN
I have detailed files

I think I've convinced the wife to see 3 Billboards, but doesn't open until 1/1, and only at 9:20pm each day for a limited run. She'll have to have a wee sleep beforehand on a worknight!

Last edited by StN : 26th December 2017 at 09:30.
Old 28th December 2017, 12:39     #3691
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
enjoyed Bright, it got trashed by critic reviews

thought star wars was mediocre as fuck, it got glowing reviews

what is my life
I quite enjoyed Bright as well, was not expecting much after it got savaged by the critics...fairly familiar story but it was really well done. The special effects were great and the elves were badass..
Old 28th December 2017, 16:52     #3692
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
I quite enjoyed Bright as well, was not expecting much after it got savaged by the critics...fairly familiar story but it was really well done. The special effects were great and the elves were badass..
The above, plus I picked the final outline of the plot after the scene in the SUV in Orcish. Telling Jacoby that Ward was blessed really gave the game away. Ditto the Prophecy talk (despite not really describing a prophecy at any point)

Overall: Fairly light, but enjoyable

Very Shadowrun but set earlier, and as if magic had never left the world, without the high tech/decking/implants.

Last edited by crocos : 28th December 2017 at 16:56.
Old 29th December 2017, 13:27     #3693
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The above, plus I picked the final outline of the plot after the scene in the SUV in Orcish. Telling Jacoby that Ward was blessed really gave the game away. Ditto the Prophecy talk (despite not really describing a prophecy at any point)

Overall: Fairly light, but enjoyable

Very Shadowrun but set earlier, and as if magic had never left the world, without the high tech/decking/implants.
Heh, Rotten Tomatoes Critics score is 30% and the Audience score is sitting at a very respectable 89%...I see that Netflix has already greenlight a sequel..
Old 18th January 2018, 10:14     #3694
StN
I have detailed files

Blade Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I remember going and seeing the Director's Cut when it had a cinematic release back in... 1993? 1994? somewhere around then. I went to a midnight screening by myself and just sat there going "fuuuuuuuuuuuck me"
I missed the cinematic BR2049 release, so got the BluRay yesterday and watched it last night. Not unhappy. The VFX were consistent with the tone of the original. I thought Mackenzie Davis played a pretty good later version of the Pris pleasure model, and liked the call back to the original opening scene with the fight going through walls. Olmos was cool, but Sean Young slightly off - probably only her voice and a lot of CG (ala Leia in Rogue One I guess) but something about the hair wasn't right - maybe not as plastic looking.

Vegas stage holograms were awesome - I have the Elvis concert DVD and the room felt just right.

I thought I'd read somewhere (Perhaps a review of the Johnny Walker special Bladerunner edition) that it was mentioned by name in the movie - maybe that was later cut. Deckards placement of the bottle was a bit cheesy for product placement - even worse than the original. At least the Blue Label one was more subtle. In one of the Tested shorts Adam visited the prop warehouse and they had boxes of the stuff in the background - yet only one bottle of each made it on screen.
Old 19th January 2018, 11:49     #3695
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I missed the cinematic BR2049 release, so got the BluRay yesterday and watched it last night. Not unhappy. The VFX were consistent with the tone of the original. I thought Mackenzie Davis played a pretty good later version of the Pris pleasure model, and liked the call back to the original opening scene with the fight going through walls. Olmos was cool, but Sean Young slightly off - probably only her voice and a lot of CG (ala Leia in Rogue One I guess) but something about the hair wasn't right - maybe not as plastic looking.

Vegas stage holograms were awesome - I have the Elvis concert DVD and the room felt just right.

I thought I'd read somewhere (Perhaps a review of the Johnny Walker special Bladerunner edition) that it was mentioned by name in the movie - maybe that was later cut. Deckards placement of the bottle was a bit cheesy for product placement - even worse than the original. At least the Blue Label one was more subtle. In one of the Tested shorts Adam visited the prop warehouse and they had boxes of the stuff in the background - yet only one bottle of each made it on screen.
Watched it on Sunday night, very pretty film...overly long though. I had such high hopes after hearing that Denis Villeneuve was directing it...Siccario was one of my fave films of the last few years.
Old 2nd February 2018, 23:33     #3696
crocos

Who remembers the 70's comedy/action/drama Monkey?
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SUoHmpRdM

Well, apparently it's back, sorta.

Old 5th February 2018, 17:05     #3697
Cyberbob

"So what's our marketing budget?"
"Ten million dollars"
"How much is a 30 second superbowl ad?"
"Ten million dollars"
"Done."

J.J. Abrams’ The Cloverfield Paradox is coming to Netflix tonight

Announcement, marketing, and worldwide release, all on the same day.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:19     #3698
StN
I have detailed files

Last Jedi ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I wants me an iris ring now.
To the 3D printer!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2736562
Old 21st February 2018, 14:33     #3699
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Black Panther just made more money in US cinemas in 4 days than Justice League did in its entire US run.
Old 21st February 2018, 18:29     #3700
fixed_truth

And it's mediocre
Old 21st February 2018, 19:03     #3701
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

dats wacist
Old 21st February 2018, 19:09     #3702
BoyWonder

I haven't seen it but it is really good
Old 21st February 2018, 19:47     #3703
Deadmeat

omg sjw cuck
Old 21st February 2018, 20:54     #3704
pxpx

Just downloaded/started watching Justice league and literally from the first scene I cannot unsee the cgi lip.
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:16     #3705
Lightspeed

It's a real shame, the movie had a lot of really cool moments. Maybe they'll fix it for the Blu-ray release.
Old 26th February 2018, 15:40     #3706
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

so good

Wakanda forever.
Old 26th February 2018, 19:38     #3707
Lightspeed

Fantastic movie. Took me way too long to realise Killmonger was Wallace.

"Hello coloniser!" That was hilarious.
Old 26th February 2018, 20:44     #3708
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Wakanda forever.

Going to see on Wednesday. Even friends who don't enjoy Marvel movies have seen this one and really enjoyed it
Old 26th February 2018, 20:55     #3709
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So deep in so many ways. Not perfect, some bits seemed forced, but like Thor Ragnarok a movie that should have been superhero junkfood is instead cutting sociohistorical commentary.

The entire cast was great except for Forest Whitaker who seems to be playing the same character in every movie. Jordan as Killmonger just crushed it. Stole every scene.

Story aside... why do big-budget 21st-century Hollywood movies keep relying on jarringly-shit CG? Damn, Jurassic Park had more believable animation than some of the movies I've seen in the past couple of years.
Old 26th February 2018, 21:17     #3710
Cyberbob

Jurassic Park used sweet fuck all CG (like a dozen or so shots compared to the thousands of CG enhanced shots in modern movies), and relied heavily on good ol' mechanical puppets. That's the main reason why it still holds up.
Old 26th February 2018, 21:21     #3711
Cyberbob

Age of Ultron: 3000
The Winter Soldier: 2,500
Guardians of the Galaxy: 2,750
Jurassic Park: 63

Source: 1, 2.
Old 26th February 2018, 22:29     #3712
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Perfect example. Ultron is one of the biggest movies of all time, and some of it looks like dogshit. The intro battle against the hydra fodder in the forest comes to mind.
Old 27th February 2018, 08:26     #3713
_Incubus_

Finally got around to seeing Thor Ragnorok...Loved it, loved the kiwi accents throughout...feeling slightly annoyed with myself for not seeing it day 0 at the cinema.
Old 28th February 2018, 10:52     #3714
crocos

"Solo" trailer recut to a certain Beastie Boys track...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ

Very well edited. I reckon this would hype the film better than the original trailer. From this article via chiQ.

Last edited by crocos : 28th February 2018 at 10:53.
Old 28th February 2018, 23:34     #3715
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Just downloaded/started watching Justice league and literally from the first scene I cannot unsee the cgi lip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIp9c97ighw
Old 1st March 2018, 00:13     #3716
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtHrrMIBjM
Old 1st March 2018, 00:18     #3717
Lightspeed

I thought Batman and Harley Quinn was good for what it was. Interesting mix of camp, quirky and cool.

It seems DC wins animated, while Marvel wins live action. There's not much animated Marvel stuff I like.
Old 1st March 2018, 00:23     #3718
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, exactly. He makes a good point too: terrible lines. Wonder Woman's monologue was forced as. I did dig her deflecting bullets... but then again, the scenario seemed forced... *sigh*

Last edited by Lightspeed : 1st March 2018 at 00:24.
Old 1st March 2018, 11:33     #3719
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage

Going to see on Wednesday. Even friends who don't enjoy Marvel movies have seen this one and really enjoyed it
Good movie, possibly bit hyped up by all the reviews, preferred Thor Ragnarok. Still, would recommend
Old 1st March 2018, 16:49     #3720
StN
I have detailed files

I heard on Penn's Sunday School that Fieldman and Serkis were the Tolkien white guys?