Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th March 2017, 14:53     #40601
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
That's because the ratio between the period involved and your lifetime is getting shorter. Back when you were a kid, it took ages for Xmas to come around, but now not so much.
A year to a five year old is a fifth of their life. A year to a 50 year old is nowhere near as large of a piece of the pie, hence an ever increasing sense of every year going by faster than the last. It's simply less of your life, as a percentage.
Old 26th March 2017, 23:57     #40602
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You think Auckland has a housing bubble?

https://twitter.com/mrbenjaminlaw/st...77887700430848
Old 27th March 2017, 00:08     #40603
CCS
Stunt Pants

You say meth lab, I say character home.
Old 27th March 2017, 22:35     #40604
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
A year to a five year old is a fifth of their life. A year to a 50 year old is nowhere near as large of a piece of the pie, hence an ever increasing sense of every year going by faster than the last. It's simply less of your life, as a percentage.
That's surely part of it, but I think there's more. For instance the younger you are the more new experiences you have that offer reference points in time. The older you get the more your days are just a variation of a theme.
Old 28th March 2017, 13:56     #40605
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You think Auckland has a housing bubble?

https://twitter.com/mrbenjaminlaw/st...77887700430848
I like how he feels the need to identify himself as homosexual.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:51     #40606
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/s...p-saving-soles

Quote:
Dunedin satanic organisation's campaign to collect warm clothes for disadvantaged people across New Zealand is being welcomed by some and leaving others hot under the collar.

Satanic New Zealand recently launched a ''Soles for Satan'' online page, which aims to buy new socks, hats, and warm clothing for people in homeless shelters and children living in poverty.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:21     #40607
fixed_truth

Quote:
Family First director Bob McCoskrie was scathing of the idea. He said it was no different from a good cause promoted by gangs.
lol. Most Satanists are atheists and I suppose Satanism is a better way to troll than Pastafarianism.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:43     #40608
fixed_truth

Pakeha less likely to get Gardasil vaccine - even as study proves it's working

Quote:
A vaccine that tackles the virus that causes genital warts and cervical cancer has been proven to be fighting off infection - but many Pakeha families are rejecting immunisation - claiming their girls don't need it yet.
Quote:
Medically-untrained parents who "researched" online were not educated in how to balance anecdote against statistics and risk, or determine reputable from fringe studies, she added.
double lol at the anti-vax who are also part of don't call me pakeha group.
Old 29th March 2017, 17:29     #40609
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Most Satanists are atheists
This is a very interesting theory.
Surely if you believe in Satan, then you must also believe in a god, and therefore by definition you can not be an atheist.

Or do satanists not actually believe in a god?
Old 29th March 2017, 17:50     #40610
fixed_truth

It's not something I know a lot about but afaik they don't believe in Satan actually existing or God.

Quick wiki link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVe...eism_and_Satan
Old 29th March 2017, 19:31     #40611
Lightspeed

Trying to understand anyone's beliefs by definition will severely limit what you can understand I think.
Old 30th March 2017, 23:40     #40612
Lightspeed

I'm playing City Skylines and my city is called Strong Badia. I think I might have to change the name, because the Strong Badia national keeps running through my head... ~/@ "Oh there's The Cheeeeat!"
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:09     #40613
MadMax
Stuff

latest retrieval from my weekly junk pile dig

dunno if it even still works :/
Old 4th April 2017, 16:02     #40614
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
This is a very interesting theory.
Surely if you believe in Satan, then you must also believe in a god, and therefore by definition you can not be an atheist.

Or do satanists not actually believe in a god?
'The Dunedin business personal assistant said the RELIGIOUS ORGINAZATION wanted to help in the hope of becoming an official chapter of the Satanic Temple, which was established in the United States.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:07     #40615
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
'The Dunedin business personal assistant said the RELIGIOUS ORGINAZATION wanted to help in the hope of becoming an official chapter of the Satanic Temple, which was established in the United States.
None of which answers the question.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th April 2017, 17:58     #40616
Lightspeed

Well we know they're not secular humanists at least.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:45     #40617
CCS
Stunt Pants

This rain is pretty fucked. I stepped in a puddle and got wet feet.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:50     #40618
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
This rain is pretty fucked. I stepped in a puddle and got wet feet.
To coin a phrase from way back:

"Oh Dear, how sad, never mind"

Good times
Old 4th April 2017, 23:32     #40619
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't think you understand the magnitude of this situation.

My feet were wet. I didn't want them to be. I feel like I should alert the NZ Herald.
Old 5th April 2017, 09:53     #40620
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
None of which answers the question.
Well if they are a religious organization surely they believe in some kind of diety
(by definition of being religious).
Old 5th April 2017, 14:10     #40621
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what did psychologically-disturbing tech dystopia sound like before Portal?

Ex Machina, musical score sounds just like Portal.
Westworld, musical score sounds a lot like Portal
Passengers, musical score sounds like Portal meets WALL-E
Legion, musical score of the creepy mental hospital stuff sounds just like Portal.
Old 5th April 2017, 14:17     #40622
crocos

We do what we must, because, we can.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th April 2017, 15:04     #40623
Lightspeed

Quote:
Well if they are a religious organization surely they believe in some kind of diety
(by definition of being religious).
Can it be religious to commit yourself to an order, hold faith in a truth about the universe that leads to a certain way of life?

My old man referred to the TAB Best Bets as his bible. Maybe Areion was his diety? Or Epona.
Old 5th April 2017, 17:39     #40624
CCS
Stunt Pants

Judge warns on vigilante action as Wellington tyre slasher sentenced to 22 months in prison

Quote:
The Wellington man who was so fed up with airport users parking on nearby streets he slashed hundreds of tyres, has been sentenced to 22 months in prison.

David Johns, 53, was sentenced at the Wellington District Court today for using a sharpened screwdriver to slash car tyres in the suburb of Miramar.
Look, I hate vandals as much as anyone else. But... just about two years in prison for that? Come on, a month or two ought to do. I wonder if he has similar offending in his record that the Herald left out? The Herald wouldn't do a shit job of reporting, would they?
Old 5th April 2017, 23:58     #40625
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Happy birthday CCS!
Old 6th April 2017, 10:23     #40626
Macca@Work

Religious | Definition of Religious by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religious
1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity a religious person religious attitudes. 2 : of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances joined a religious order. 3a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithfulb : fervent, zealous.
Old 6th April 2017, 10:28     #40627
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Judge warns on vigilante action as Wellington tyre slasher sentenced to 22 months in prison

Look, I hate vandals as much as anyone else. But... just about two years in prison for that? Come on, a month or two ought to do. I wonder if he has similar offending in his record that the Herald left out? The Herald wouldn't do a shit job of reporting, would they?
The guy is a nutjob.Check out the news clip.He's a doley who couldnt pay the fine.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-ze...in-prison.html

'A Wellington man known as the 'Miramar tyre slasher' has been sentenced to 22 months in prison.
David Francis Johns, 53, used a sharpened screwdriver to slash more than 300 tyres in the suburb, according to police.
In January he pleaded guilty to a representative charge of intentional damage to numerous car tyres, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Johns' lawyer asked that he be sentenced on the basis of eight damaged vehicles, but Judge Tim Black said he had 51 victim impact statements and there was $20,000 worth of damage, so he would be basing his sentencing on that.
The judge said the offending was pre-meditated, sustained over a period of months and had multiple victims.
It was aggravated by the fact he'd told a psychologist he was proud of what he'd done and that it was working.'
Old 6th April 2017, 11:30     #40628
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
what did psychologically-disturbing tech dystopia sound like before Portal?

Ex Machina, musical score sounds just like Portal.
Westworld, musical score sounds a lot like Portal
Passengers, musical score sounds like Portal meets WALL-E
Legion, musical score of the creepy mental hospital stuff sounds just like Portal.
Way more orchestral, I suppose.
Old 6th April 2017, 20:27     #40629
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 6th April 2017, 22:18     #40630
Lightspeed

Quote:
Religious | Definition of Religious by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religious
1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity a religious person religious attitudes. 2 : of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances joined a religious order. 3a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithfulb : fervent, zealous.
So not necessarily deity worship. The definition makes me wonder, is dictionary definition an acknowledged ultimate reality?
Old 6th April 2017, 22:33     #40631
ceer

What the actual fuck! Squirrels eh...I guess it falls under "Only in Amurica"?

Last edited by ceer : 6th April 2017 at 22:34.
Old 6th April 2017, 22:58     #40632
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

http://www.snopes.com/attack-squirrels-arrest/
Old 7th April 2017, 00:20     #40633
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

took all that time copying and pasting img urls only to snopesfail. Sheesh.
Old 7th April 2017, 10:55     #40634
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
So not necessarily deity worship. The definition makes me wonder, is dictionary definition an acknowledged ultimate reality?
Its not really conclusive one way or the other so could include but not restricted to diety worship.But how can a bunch of people sit around and worship nothing or nobody?
Old 7th April 2017, 11:33     #40635
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Buddhism.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:23     #40636
Lightspeed

Quote:
But how can a bunch of people sit around and worship nothing or nobody?
Imagination. You might lack it, some people have it in great abundance.
Old 7th April 2017, 15:46     #40637
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Buddhism.
Budda was a real person?
Old 7th April 2017, 16:12     #40638
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What part of "his mother was impregnated by a white elephant and he emerged emerged fully formed from his mother's right side able to speak and walk" seems implausible to you?
Old 7th April 2017, 17:50     #40639
Deadmeat

Quote:
Budda was a real person?
Yes (supposedly anyhow). Also Buddhists don't worship Buddha, they seek Nirvana.
Old 7th April 2017, 18:03     #40640
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hitchens' Law: any religion that has a male figurehead who was created by a process other than plain old sex leading to plain old vaginal birth is a religion based on fear and hatred of women.