Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20th August 2020, 15:21     #1121
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
You're in Melbourne eh, Nich? How you holding up?
Moved out of Melb 3 years ago to make a tree change in Indigo Shire (Mt Buffalo area). And my episodes of sorely missing the big city have completely stopped since 2020. Now I know I would be full of regret if I had convinced myself to move back to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I'm not eager for some rushed out "let's get people back to work" jab.
We got an anti-vaxxer o'er here!

In other news:
- WA are fixing to put ankle bracelets on COVID-19 cases that pose a flight risk https://www.sbs.com.au/news/electron...urity-agencies
- on a federal level the right to silence is gone while we're in state of emergency... at least the promise is our right to silence will be restored once the emergency is gone?
- we may face life prison sentence if found guilty of "deliberately" infecting healthcare workers https://www.sbs.com.au/news/people-w...vernment-warns
- organisers of an anti-lockdown protest had their computers / devices seized

Never go full stasi.

Time to start planning a new country to live in.
Old 20th August 2020, 15:46     #1122
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Time to start planning a new country to live in.
Liberia, Equatorial Guinea and South Sudan would love to have you. Let us know how you get on.
Old 20th August 2020, 16:48     #1123
Nich

Good suggestions, but I think I'll move to....

WUHAN, Ch

Wuhan hosts massive water park party as coronavirus concerns recede
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/18/a...hnk/index.html
Old 20th August 2020, 20:04     #1124
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
In other news:
- WA are fixing to put ankle bracelets on COVID-19 cases that pose a flight risk https://www.sbs.com.au/news/electron...urity-agencies
Without going full Wilhelm Schallmayer and Alfred Ploetz, I've heard of worse ideas...
Old 21st August 2020, 07:34     #1125
blynk

So another interesting stat thats come out.
Suicides were down for the year ending June 2020 as well.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:11     #1126
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
So another interesting stat thats come out.
Suicides were down for the year ending June 2020 as well.
For where Blynk?
One of the most common reckons I've seen is "but there's more suicides because lockdown!!!"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st August 2020, 11:16     #1127
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
For where Blynk?
One of the most common reckons I've seen is "but there's more suicides because lockdown!!!"
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/122...ecordhigh-year
Old 21st August 2020, 12:03     #1128
Nich

Again, NZ is perhaps unique among nations that there is still a genuine love of the country, a trust in institutions, and a leader that is respected and admired internationally (As LS pointed out). Also, NZ is also unique in that it may be the only country that has an actual chance of being free of COVID-19.

In NZ the national effort to social distance and lockdown may improve feelings of solidarity. The platitudes of "Let's stay COVID safe" aren't completely stripped of meaning.

In AUS, the order to social distance and lockdown comes across more like a loathsome step-dad grounding his adopted children. Our PM talks to the nation as if we're school children ("You all get an early mark."). Our state premiers are shutting their borders as if all their cases are imported from other states. They aren't even attempting to appeal to our sense of national solidarity. Just do what the government tells you, or we'll fine you or chuck you in prison.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...health-support

Quote:
more than $500 million additional funding for mental health and suicide prevention since January
The Aus gov has made the investment either based on the intuition, or research that suggests lockdowns will negatively affect mental health.

OTOH, I believe the lockdowns have forced many people to find a quality of life that is more satisfactory than their old routine drudgery. Personally, I am reading more books, playing music more, spending less, talking more openly with Robyn. If I ignore the news, my life has improved! We've been lucky in many respects especially regarding our debts. And when my income went to $0 I could pivot to becoming full time dad while Robyn's workload increased. I've had some very dark days in 2020 nonetheless, and it would have been much worse if we found ourselves at risk of defaulting on our debts and scrambling to find income.

Last edited by Nich : 21st August 2020 at 12:04.
Old 21st August 2020, 13:24     #1129
Lightspeed

Brian Roche, brought in to optimise Covid-19 testing, says communication and fatigue issues are present

Quote:
"I don't think it's a massive disaster - I don't think it's incorrect to say there's room for improvement, but actually, I've never worked in anything that didn't have room for improvement," he said.

"We are the envy of the world, but at some point we've lost a bit of perspective.

"We feel at risk and we feel under threat and that has to be remedied - and that's what we're going to apply our minds to.

"I think we have done, by and large, a very, very good job."
Obviously his job to say these kinds of things, but I don't think he's wrong.
Old 21st August 2020, 15:15     #1130
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Again, NZ is perhaps unique among nations that there is still a genuine love of the country, a trust in institutions, and a leader that is respected and admired internationally (As LS pointed out). Also, NZ is also unique in that it may be the only country that has an actual chance of being free of COVID-19.

In NZ the national effort to social distance and lockdown may improve feelings of solidarity. The platitudes of "Let's stay COVID safe" aren't completely stripped of meaning.

In AUS, the order to social distance and lockdown comes across more like a loathsome step-dad grounding his adopted children. Our PM talks to the nation as if we're school children ("You all get an early mark."). Our state premiers are shutting their borders as if all their cases are imported from other states. They aren't even attempting to appeal to our sense of national solidarity. Just do what the government tells you, or we'll fine you or chuck you in prison.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...health-support

The Aus gov has made the investment either based on the intuition, or research that suggests lockdowns will negatively affect mental health.

OTOH, I believe the lockdowns have forced many people to find a quality of life that is more satisfactory than their old routine drudgery. Personally, I am reading more books, playing music more, spending less, talking more openly with Robyn. If I ignore the news, my life has improved! We've been lucky in many respects especially regarding our debts. And when my income went to $0 I could pivot to becoming full time dad while Robyn's workload increased. I've had some very dark days in 2020 nonetheless, and it would have been much worse if we found ourselves at risk of defaulting on our debts and scrambling to find income.
I agree with every word of this and it describes my life too
Old 21st August 2020, 15:16     #1131
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Correction, not talking to Robyn any more openly
Old 21st August 2020, 17:10     #1132
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Also, NZ is also unique in that it may be the only country that has an actual chance of being free of COVID-19.
That's not accurate - many of the Pacific island countries have very few to zero active cases. Samoa, for example, put travel restrictions in place before NZ and is COVID-free.

Last edited by Ajax : 21st August 2020 at 17:11.
Old 21st August 2020, 17:24     #1133
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Wuhan hosts massive water park party as coronavirus concerns recede
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/18/a...hnk/index.html
If the Three Gorges dam is breached (as some are fretting about) due to the flooding currently taking place in Central China, the greater Wuhan metropolitan area will find itself host to an impromptu water park. Great for kayaking but mind the typhoid.
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:38     #1134
Nothing

We were just out driving around in Auckland for a work related reason, and wow there were a lot of cars on the road for Level 3 lockdown. Massive queue of cars going to the beach, a bunch of young guys with their windows down, stereo blasting and guy in the front passenger seat with an open bottle of beer in his hand. Jeeze Auckland, way to do level 3.
Old 22nd August 2020, 21:52     #1135
pxpx

sigh
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/rural...7K465TL Y_ClY
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:40     #1136
fixed_truth

TIL that you need to feed bees
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:04     #1137
Cyberbob

Why the christ aren't they using the old level 3/4 exceptions? Are they seriously requiring people to re-apply?
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:19     #1138
Lightspeed

Because people want improvements, which means changing things.

No doubt there are all kinds of difficult situations people have faced or are facing that don't make the threshold of newsworthiness.
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:03     #1139
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
TIL that you need to feed bees
Only if you take away their honey. If you leave enough honey in the hive you don't need to feed them at all.
Old 24th August 2020, 00:26     #1140
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Only if you take away their honey. If you leave enough honey in the hive you don't need to feed them at all.
This is true.
Old 24th August 2020, 09:06     #1141
blynk

1m bees. I think we need the Austin Power meme here.

You are right though. Bees don't need humans to feed them. Majority of animals don't need humans to feed them. They just need humans to fuck off and not take their food sources.

It would be a different case if a zoo full of animals, or a vet couldn't get back to look after the animals. Where we have caged them and they can't get out.

Also, if you cry for 1m bees dying, maybe don't go buy honey. Its about 1500 bees working their entire life (6 weeks if I recall) to make 1 500g jar of honey
Old 24th August 2020, 13:34     #1142
MadMax
Stuff

I blame accountants eg why have money sitting in a beehive when it could be sitting in your bank account?
Old 24th August 2020, 18:50     #1143
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New York City is over

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nyc-d...VvqS%2Bg%3D%3D
Old 24th August 2020, 19:02     #1144
MadMax
Stuff

Louis Rossman is still posting ... can't be that bad?
Old 25th August 2020, 01:00     #1145
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Religion helpful as always
https://apple.news/ADBXwfZJ4ThKs48lU6J0sgQ
Old 25th August 2020, 02:48     #1146
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Holy fuckin' shit. I mean, I felt bad for New Yorkers seeing the covid death toll over there already, but seeing that their average bandwidth is only 20Mbps just breaks my fuckin' heart.
Old 29th August 2020, 14:24     #1147
Lightspeed

Covid-19 update: 11 new community cases, two in managed isolation

This cluster is really tenacious. Goes to show how a rapid response is essential.
Old 30th August 2020, 00:28     #1148
crocos

Meh. Fucking human malware.

Old 30th August 2020, 18:26     #1149
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When will these media muppets learn. Do not give the crazies oxygen. Do not give them the legitimacy of appearing on your shows.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...-theorist.html
Old 31st August 2020, 08:31     #1150
fixed_truth

I'm not entirely convinced that Auckland should be moving to level 2 and that another 7-10 days would have happened had the issue not been so heavily politicised. Oh well, got to trust the experts that the risk of things going ham is acceptable.
Old 31st August 2020, 09:00     #1151
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I'm not entirely convinced that Auckland should be moving to level 2 and that another 7-10 days would have happened had the issue not been so heavily politicised. Oh well, got to trust the experts that the risk of things going ham is acceptable.
Agree that decisions are more politicised this time.
I said right from the start of this round that Auckland is not going to Level 4, and the Level 3 was not going to be extended for a long period.
Old 31st August 2020, 19:02     #1152
crocos

Hey! "ONLY" 114 new cases found in VIC in the last 24h!

Old 31st August 2020, 19:42     #1153
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Only 41 deaths today, nice work VIC
Old 31st August 2020, 19:47     #1154
crocos

Fucking stupid. And this weekend Premier Andrews is announcing a plan for easing up from (VIC's) level 4 in Metro Melbourne... given where Victoria is right now I'm thinking if these are the measures at level 4, we shouldn't be letting up yet - we're not in the position to ease restrictions, easing them will result in another flare-up.

Old 6th September 2020, 14:28     #1155
Lightspeed

Given they're still seeing new cases, I suspect this Mt Roskill church is experiencing a dose of 1 Corinthians 10:23.
Old 6th September 2020, 17:21     #1156
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

dats wacist
Old 6th September 2020, 23:21     #1157
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Given they're still seeing new cases, I suspect this Mt Roskill church is experiencing a dose of 1 Corinthians 10:23.
I've had to restrain from posting on my idiot family members FB pages where they previous posted the shit about the government were restricting there religious rights. blah blah
Old 7th September 2020, 01:38     #1158
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
dats wacist
Oops, my bad, stupid brain pulled 1 Corinthians 13:12 out of the drawer by mistake, as you were.
Old 9th September 2020, 13:56     #1159
Lightspeed

I heard on the radio this morning that the church group was initially sceptical of the science, which is why they didn't immediately identify all close contacts, hence we're still seeing new cases in the community.

Which really is no surprise, given we've spent the last generation questioning climate science, offering equal platforms to "both sides" of the "debate".

Turns out science really isn't a case of shopping around for the academic that shares your point of view.
Old 9th September 2020, 14:05     #1160
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If a person is religious, that person is by definition skeptical of science. It's no surprise that a lot of super spreader events have a religious connection.