NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21st April 2008, 18:11     #561
Mickey

Ive just started reading the new Jeffrey Archer one, its set in a prison. Sad thing is if you have read his prison diary trilogy it is very similar, even using the same prison as a setting.
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:45     #562
cyc
Objection!

Just and Unjust Wars by Michael Walzer.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:37     #563
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
So I picked up my first Terry Pratchett book (Colour of Magic, natch. And yes, I'm ever so slightly ashamed that it's taken me this long).

I think I'm hooked.......someone want to lend me all of them?
I really should start adding The Disc World to my book collection.

PS. The Colour of Magic movie is nowhere near as good as the book.
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:11     #564
leadinjector

Netfit articles about squatting form >_<

and a sports injury bulletin about using squats for rehab purposes
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:44     #565
Perfk
snakes & ladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff tee
I've just read The Catcher In The Rye again after over 20 years.

Didn't like it this time round either. Bored me to death.
I loved it the first time around
read it again just recently and LOVED the first half.. then it just kinda went nowhere. I still think it's a neat book though
Old 24th April 2008, 15:24     #566
eff tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
I loved it the first time around
read it again just recently and LOVED the first half.. then it just kinda went nowhere. I still think it's a neat book though
LOL I think the whole book went nowhere. The people I know who loved it liked the *way* it was written, whereas that's the bit that annoyed me most. The kid had some serious issues, and he just bummed me out.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:49     #567
Larno

Finally got my hands on this, cannot wait to get home and start reading it. so one of the best fantasy series ever.

Old 21st May 2008, 10:50     #568
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

26a by Diana Evans. Am afraid it might be chick lit (ugh) but it comes highly recommended by a favourite journalist of mine so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 21st May 2008, 11:06     #569
LordP

Old Man's Way - John Scalzi

It looks a little short, so I'll probably be hunting for the follow up books soon (are they considered sequels?)
Old 21st May 2008, 11:27     #570
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Laurence Rees, Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution'

Written in conjunction with the BBC documentary series. Very enlightening - lots of stuff I didn't know.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:01     #571
Mabd

Did you finish the "First Man" series, Ab? To be honest, I got bored. I pretty much gave up once L. Cornelius Sulla died (which was the period I loved the most).

A propos of not much; I remember back in the early 90's when the First Man series started my Roman History lecturer (Dr. Tom Stevenson) pleading with the students not to use the series as a primer for Roman History (use your Cary & Scullard!!!!) - not because of historical inaccuracies, but because the student could impose a bias due to empathising with a particular character and not another.

Currently Reading: Gotrek and Felix - The First Omnibus.
Old 21st May 2008, 14:44     #572
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mabd you sad old bastard, where have you been? Good to see you posting again.

Yeah I'm up to the most recent (and apparently final) book "Antony and Cleopatra" but haven't started it yet. The period I loved the most in my studies was always the end of the Republic from First Triumvirate to Augustus, so for the same reason you loved the parts of the novels focused on Sulla, I have been revelling in the parts of the novels focused on Caesar. Not that I didn't love the Sulla bits of course -- although his public acceptance of Metrobius wasn't ANYTHING like how I had pictured it in my head
Old 21st May 2008, 16:01     #573
snax

Helliconia Spring - Brian Aldiss
It is written.... In the last days, a world leader will rise up, rebuild Solomon's Temple, and usher in three and a half years of world peace, under a new Roman Empire... Then, possessed by Satan, he will declare himself God, and embark on a reign of terror, until the Lord comes and destroys him... The final battle between Heaven and Hell approaches...

Old 21st May 2008, 16:35     #574
Baal

the naked god - peter f hamilton + a few others
Old 21st May 2008, 16:42     #575
Skanks
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just bought House of Suns - Alastair Reynolds
Old 21st May 2008, 16:43     #576
darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
the naked god - peter f hamilton
thats what I'm reading for the second time.
Old 21st May 2008, 16:54     #577
pervy

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Enjoyed it immensely, which is saying something coming from a non-fiction biased reader.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:26     #578
Torka

What the...did Mabd just post without using the devil icon? :(
Old 21st May 2008, 17:37     #579
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervy
Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Enjoyed it immensely, which is saying something coming from a non-fiction biased reader.
Well done (seriously). That book was my first and last introduction to Cormac McCarthy. I can't even remember if I made it to the end of the first chapter. I was expecting greatness and was seriously underwhelmed.
Old 21st May 2008, 19:19     #580
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax
Helliconia Spring - Brian Aldiss
The whole trilogy is excellent. I must read it again soon.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:31     #581
xor

Chopper - Easy to read on the tube
Old 21st May 2008, 21:35     #582
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
What the...did Mabd just post without using the devil icon?
My thoughts exactly! Shock, horror, SCANDAL!!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 28th May 2008, 08:42     #583
Kryten

Just finished up the newly released "Last Argument of Kings", the 3rd book by Joe Abercrombie in his "First Law" series. Not quite as good as the first two, but *significantly* better than a lot of what passes for fantasy writing these days. To his credit, some of Logen's sword fights are described incredibly viscerally, probably the best I've read and the overall brutality and wit are still there.

I'm moving onto (don't laugh) the first of the Dan Abnett Warhammer 40,000k novels (actually, via one of the relatively cheap omnibus editions) - despite, or perhaps because of, the setting these are actually really good sci-fi, I'm enjoying it immensely. I've been warned to avoid anything NOT written by Abnett (who's also a 2000AD writer), but I'm looking to collect the other editions (at $27 for the 3 book + 1 short story versions, these are pretty good value).

Currently I'm waiting on the delivery of my next collection of Miles Vorkosigan stories by Lois McMaster Bujold and then it'll be checking out Glen Cook's Black Company series. Pratchett, unfortunately, is on the back burner.

I almost miss my commute, I'm currently not getting enough good reading time in, given the chaos my house is in at present. Le sigh.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:41     #584
snax

Quote:
Originally Posted by reac
The whole trilogy is excellent. I must read it again soon.
its taken me a month so far to get halfway through the first - the trilogy is going to take ages... (more related to other commitments in my days, as opposed to my inability to read words good )
It is written.... In the last days, a world leader will rise up, rebuild Solomon's Temple, and usher in three and a half years of world peace, under a new Roman Empire... Then, possessed by Satan, he will declare himself God, and embark on a reign of terror, until the Lord comes and destroys him... The final battle between Heaven and Hell approaches...

Old 28th May 2008, 10:49     #585
Wake

Reading The pursuit of happyness, the book that inspired the movie - which was a feel good average watch, the book is a far better account of his pre-wall st. days, which really highlights why he's such a sex crazed success...

Last edited by Wake : 28th May 2008 at 10:54.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:11     #586
Thomas
Showbiz Opera Walrus

Just finished Tiger Tiger!/The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Totally blew me away, can't believe it was written in the 50s. Next up Line War from Neal Asher then House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:09     #587
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Haven't read anything in months as I have been using my commute time to sleep! Starting Catch 22 by Joseph Heller on the way home from work today
Old 28th May 2008, 17:39     #588
eff tee

I'm reading Daughter Of Fortune by Isabel Allende. Set in Chile and USA during the 1840's. Better than I was expecting.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:40     #589
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Laurence Rees, Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution'

Written in conjunction with the BBC documentary series. Very enlightening - lots of stuff I didn't know.
A good read!
Old 28th May 2008, 22:14     #590
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I've been in CPD mode for a couple of weeks:

The 360 Degree Leader: I'd only read the book summary in the past and that was a life changing experience. Have now listened to the audiobook and that just reminded me how fantastic this book is.

Go Put Your Strengths to Work: Now this is an interesting and insperational book. I've bought a copy for each of my team and have sat them through the first episode of "Trombone Player Wanted"; what I've not yet been able to determine is whether they all think I'm mad (hint to the one who comes here: the answer is "no you're not"). Very relevant ideas here for the parent too.

The Empty Raincoat: there are some interesting points in here for reflection. I'm tending to agree with the author. Could this mark another paradigm shift in my thinking about how the world works?

Leading the Revolution: this appealed to me since the ideas are aligned with the way I think. Preaching to the converted type of stuff.

But, I'm almost back to the Saga of the Seven Suns book 4.

And, "Medicine Man Chief". A great message, but an awefully crude book. It was kind of hard to find and having got it I now know why. However, the message is a fantastic one and so the delivery can be forgiven.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 28th May 2008 at 22:16.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:15     #591
Nemises

I started reading Derren Brown:Tricks of the Mind , and learned how to remember stuff..so now I can remember what page I'm upto in the other books Im reading, which is handy I guess.

Also reading "Forest Mage" by what-er-name..Robin Hobb is it?.. series is no where near as good as the fools ones , but ah well..might as well finish it out.

Ordered the first 2 Greg Keyes books that Larno suggested above, so will look forward to them.

/waiting for Dance of Dragons..hurry up ffs.
Old 29th May 2008, 02:19     #592
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemises
...and learned how to remember stuff...

by what-er-name..Robin Hobb is it?
I had to laugh

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 29th May 2008, 10:32     #593
LordP

Reading Ghost Brigades now (sequel to Old Man's War) and have The Last Colony lined up after that.
Old 30th May 2008, 01:34     #594
Nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I had to laugh
*doh*
Old 31st May 2008, 13:34     #595
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
26a by Diana Evans. Am afraid it might be chick lit (ugh) but it comes highly recommended by a favourite journalist of mine so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Was brilliant, not often that a book makes me that emotional.

Just picked up and discarded The Visiting Professor by Robert Littell. Love his work normally, but picked it up and started reading it without looking at what it was about.....snore fest.

Will replace it with The Company: a novel of the CIA, also by Littell. Am prepared to be impressed.
Old 21st June 2008, 22:15     #596
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Come on people, share the book love.

The Journey to Prison: Who Goes and Why, by Celia Lashlie.
Old 21st June 2008, 22:21     #597
dead goon

The Trial by Franz Kafka
Old 21st June 2008, 22:36     #598
Cereal Killar

Into the Darklands and Beyond - Nigel Latta
Old 22nd June 2008, 00:05     #599
Kryten

I've picked up the first TPB of "The Walking Dead", a comic about people attempting to survive in a world overtaken by zombies. Definitely not as cheesy as it sounds, this is pretty damn good. I'll be ordering the hardcover editions, it's a more cost effective way to collect the issues.
Old 22nd June 2008, 00:18     #600
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

nzgames