Password

Old 16th February 2011, 18:20     #3921
blur^

def had teary eyes at eric's decision
agree with all comments above, so much emotion from a show about football

im gonna have to go back and watch it all again
Old 16th February 2011, 18:36     #3922
xpandnz

sounds like I will have to download hire it out.
Old 16th February 2011, 21:30     #3923
Kryten

It's funny, every time I mention FNL to anyone I have hard time explaining that it's not about football at all, it's actually just a show about people. Then I remember all of the amazing scenes and/or small events that really make it a great series, like (spoiler tagged just in case, but anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about) Matt's hands bleeding on the shovel. I find that I almost can't rewatch The Son, Zach Guildford nailed the shit out of that whole episode and it's such an emotional piece of television.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:58     #3924
xpandnz

I only ever watched Lost. So any TV show that can keep my attention for as long is worth a shot. Every show since has failed.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:53     #3925
crocos

So for a show to keep your attention it needs to be about as sensible and planned out as a weasel dosed up on sugar, caffeine and crack.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th February 2011, 13:25     #3926
xpandnz

Who cares really. I liked Lost. Nuf said. Tried watching the Event, just felt like another show trying to cash in on the Lost thing. Will try Friday Night Lights. See how it goes.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:28     #3927
wazza
*flex*

funny, i almost posted earlier something like "FNL S01E01, do it!"

Do it!
Old 17th February 2011, 19:10     #3928
xpandnz

Holy shit. That was incredible. How come no one told me about this show years ago? Some fine acting and the music is fucking sick as. Plus, love football so epic win.

Wife and I hooked now. Gonna watch the other dvds we hired later on. Finally got another decent show to watch.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:14     #3929
wazza
*flex*

be prepared for lots of tears/choke moments, basically any emotion one can feel, you will feel on a powerful level.

edit: i might 'hire' the first season out again, it has been some years since i've seen it
Old 17th February 2011, 22:51     #3930
xpandnz

Yeah. Could see it would have that effect. I love sports films so this seems like a great series idea: a long as sports film. Just going to be interested to see how it all plays out over, what, 5 seasons? I can see some interesting character arcs already. That is what drew me into Lost. The characters. So this looks like a sure winner.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:00     #3931
wazza
*flex*

the first 2 seasons are fucking strong, like, seriously 10/10 viewing. it tappers off in the latter seasons but it's so fucking solid throughout. it's not even about sports to be honest, it's about community/family values/morals/ethics.

it's just day to day shit that we all struggle with, seriously.. anyone who's ever lived would like this show. that's how good it is. ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:09     #3932
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

I stopped watching at the end of season one because it was fucking depressing!
Old 17th February 2011, 23:15     #3933
xpandnz

Apparently life is depressing.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:28     #3934
Kryten

For reference a lot of the core music is by Texas band Explosions in the Sky (who did most of the movie soundtrack), well worth checking out.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:48     #3935
xpandnz

Sweet. I found the music a real treat. Not often do you get great band music in a tv show. Helped the flow of the episode I saw. Will check 'em out.
Old 18th February 2011, 08:07     #3936
creamcheese

fuck yeah explosions are awesome, the main reason why the movie is one of my favorite movies ever.

watching this show now after all the raving about it, still only halfway through the pilot.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:39     #3937
xpandnz

Second episode was great too. Won't comment on all of them, which may disappoint a few since my commentary is the best thing since strawberry jam.

Can't wait to see how this all pans out.

Question: Would watching the movie affect my enjoyment of the show?
Old 18th February 2011, 10:43     #3938
wazza
*flex*

nope, <3'd the movie

few of the same actors too
Old 18th February 2011, 10:47     #3939
xpandnz

Sweet. Gonna get that too then. The coach in FNL is a cool actor man. Actually, all the people feel real authentic and I have spoken to some crazy sports fans in my life and I get the feeling that they are portraying what most nut jobs are like in small towns where all they have is football.

Also, recommend 'The Blind Side' with Sandra Bullock in it. That is quite enjoyable since we on the topic of football related stuff.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:57     #3940
wazza
*flex*

Yuh, seen that, pretty tame. Can't really stand Bullock but it was a good movie all the same.

Might hire out FNL the movie right now actually.. haven't seen in it about 4 years or so
Old 18th February 2011, 12:19     #3941
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Apparently life is depressing.
not sure what your point is

I'm not having a dig at your new favourite show ... Like I said I watched season 1, enjoyed it and was happy with where the plot was. It's a pretty emotionally draining show and I could see where the plot was headed so I decided to leave it there.

Bar In Treatment, extream makeover home addition is about as emotional as I get in the TV watching department.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:25     #3942
blur^

i didnt see the FNL movie untill after seeing s1 and 2 of the show
liked it, but i couldnt help but refer to the characters as their show counterparts
Old 18th February 2011, 12:43     #3943
Fx.

having never seen the show or the movie and currently looking for more shows to fill my evenings with... dont spose you've got it and can bring it up ?
Old 18th February 2011, 12:55     #3944
[fe]

Justified S2 underway. Timothy Olyphant as good as ever with skinny Jeremey Davies (lost) looking to be the Redneck threat - badass.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:31     #3945
chiQ
Frag-muff

I've only ever seen Olyphant in a couple of uninformative roles. One was a bit part (Underworld), and the other was a deadpan character (Hitman). I really need to see him playing a proper character. Is Justified good?
Old 18th February 2011, 15:56     #3946
Kryten

You haven't seen Deadwood?

GET. OUT.

Old 18th February 2011, 16:10     #3947
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten

GET. OUT.

^^What he said!
Old 18th February 2011, 16:24     #3948
Markh

Quote:

GET. OUT.

+1

I liked chiQ until a couple of minutes ago, now I've gone right off her!

Last edited by Markh : 18th February 2011 at 16:25.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:27     #3949
chiQ
Frag-muff

I haven't. I keep meaning to. I shall do so soon, I promise.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:38     #3950
[fe]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Olyphant... Is Justified good?
Its a modern take on a western set in Kentucky, featuring white trash neo nazis in S1 - less Shakespearean than Sons of Anarchy.

Not mind blowing but a good watch for the different locale, the dialogue and Olyphant - hes one charismatic mofo. It has Walton Goggins in it too (the shield).

Def recommend watching the pilot. Also deadwood... see above ^
Old 18th February 2011, 17:08     #3951
xpandnz

By the way, if you like the music from FNL's you should check out Mogwai and Isis if you have not already.
Old 21st February 2011, 06:55     #3952
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

sorry to break up the FNL circle jerk but how good is this series of Spartacus? best show on TV at the moment for me. Did have to cringe in the last episode when the 'doctor' showed up and had the roughest NZ accent since jake told keanu to 'stop the bloody boat' in speed 2
Old 21st February 2011, 08:02     #3953
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
sorry to break up the FNL circle jerk but how good is this series of Spartacus? best show on TV at the moment for me. Did have to cringe in the last episode when the 'doctor' showed up and had the roughest NZ accent since jake told keanu to 'stop the bloody boat' in speed 2
show is so fucking awesome, love every moment of it.. and lolz, i said "phooooar, nz as!" when they doctor opened his mouth, shit was too much

lucy lawless gettin' her fuck on, finally. quicksis(sp) starting to pwn it up. love it. asher's finally become that uber slimey cunt that we all know he is.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:20     #3954
Fx.

always heard it as kriksys or somehting

but yea couple fucking rough eps haha, poor slave girl!
Old 21st February 2011, 09:02     #3955
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
You haven't seen The Girl Next Door?

GET. OUT.

Old 21st February 2011, 10:10     #3956
dylan
Huh?

Also finished FNL last night. Was awesome.

However, I think the time was right to bring it to a close given the storylines were starting to repeat (hmmz the team hates the team leader, we went through this with Smash back in the day, oh look the coach is thinking of leaving to join a college, this is all very reminiscent???)

Bringing a lot of the old characters back for the end of the season was cool though, I loved seeing Tyra Colette appear in Tim's bar. Kind of disappointed coach didn't fit in one last Landry / Lance reference
Old 21st February 2011, 10:23     #3957
blur^

just FYI its, Crixus
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:32     #3958
Caesar

Don't *think* its been mentioned before but starting in June is Steven Spielberg's Falling Sky's Scifi TV series.
Should be pretty decent.
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:23     #3959
drac0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Don't *think* its been mentioned before but starting in June is Steven Spielberg's Falling Sky's Scifi TV series.
Should be pretty decent.
Maybe your attention span is higher than most, can you repost this in 3 months
Old 24th February 2011, 15:56     #3960
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac0s
Maybe your attention span is higher than most, can you repost this in 3 months
Er.. might be asking a bit much with my fucken ADD brain mate
Although being a scifi geek its got a slighlty better chance of staying in memory, so ya might be lucky.