Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th January 2019, 21:35     #3841
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Heh, I'll probably enjoy it then.

With the Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 releases so close together (8 March, April 26) you might/could be able to see both back-to-back at the movies.

Then it's a long haul to Spiderman in July.
Yeah if you enjoyed SS or JL, you'll most likely enjoy Aquaman. I enjoyed aspects of all three; similar issues with all three too however.
Old 20th January 2019, 00:12     #3842
Lightspeed

Cool story:

After 40 Years, Bill Paxton's Lost Post-Apocalyptic Movie Gets a Release

Quote:
In a dystopian future, American draft dodger Billy Hampton (Bill Paxton in his first role), 19, is brainwashed and programmed by militant feminists to assassinate the Welsh minister of prostitution. Lurching unwittingly toward his goal, he makes a series of furtive connections with societal outliers like himself, including a feral child, a gentle prostitute, a sadomasochistic delinquent, a lovelorn androgyne, a hippie dope dealer, and a mute nymphomaniac, while fending off predators who would sell him into sex slavery. Eventually, he is forced to focus on his mission and face the dreadful dilemma tormenting his psyche: to kill or not to kill.
Old 28th January 2019, 02:15     #3843
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm not so proud that I can't admit that I really enjoyed Venom. I think having it be a dark Zack Snyder R13 flick would have been a mistake. LOVE Tom Hardy.
I don't get the haters. It was a solid movie. It's a movie about a symbiotic alien, what do people expect, hyper-realism?
Old 28th January 2019, 08:54     #3844
StN
I have detailed files

First man.

I'm a sucker for Space biopics because I can still remember SkyLab when it was in use. But I didn't expect to get smacked in the feels for the first 10 minutes.

And I liked the way they didn't show the drama of liftoff with a CGI rocket ascending - they focused on the crew being shaken to all heck and the sky changing colour outside the window.

I'd always heard that they selected Neil because he was cool under pressure, and a quiet unassuming chap. He was definitely the right man for the job if the performance is accurate. Buzz comes off as a bit of a dick, but we all love Buzz anyway. He was the first to take a piss on the moon after all.

After watching the videos of the tech chaps sitting in a hotel room in Houston trying to get an Apollo guidance computer up and running 50 years later, and the very modest 1950s home and background he came from, the achievement seems even more fantastic.

It matters not that they didn't show the flag being planted.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:57     #3845
BoyWonder

If they made a point of including the planting of the flag it would have confused the whole scene. What they captured was a couple of individuals who were like, wow we made it and this is actually happening, not look how great is Murica!!

I wonder if his wife was accurately portrayed? I can understand her reservations but sheesh. She did marry an air force pilot after all.
Old 28th January 2019, 15:04     #3846
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
She did marry an air force pilot after all.
Au contraire, Armstrong was a civilian
Old 28th January 2019, 17:28     #3847
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah - that's what I was going to say - but the line got blurry after his Korean war efforts and the X-15 bits. But yeah - traditionally listed as civilian - but he married in 1956 when he was a test pilot for NACA.

Also - at Piff the magic dragon the other night, he took the piss out of a truck driver because he had a flexi-safety ring as a wedding ring, and he bemoaned how dangerous it must be to drive a truck. I though - eww, degloving...

While working at his farm near Lebanon, Ohio, in November 1978, Armstrong jumped off the back of his grain truck and his wedding ring was caught in the wheel, tearing off the tip of his left hand's ring finger. He collected the severed digit and packed it in ice, and surgeons reattached it at the Jewish Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.
Old 28th January 2019, 18:16     #3848
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I read Wolfe’s “The Right Stuff” at a young age and it has permanently coloured my mental pictures of the early astronauts. How they are in my head is how Wolfe described them.

Gods.
Old 28th January 2019, 20:58     #3849
Redneck

Further viewing - The Last Man on the Moon. Fantastic doco on Gene Cernan - the literal last man to have left footprints on the moon.

Old 29th January 2019, 15:47     #3850
BoyWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
True - I was under the impression that all of the astronauts of the era would have been active air force but not so I see.
Old 29th January 2019, 18:30     #3851
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
True - I was under the impression that all of the astronauts of the era would have been active air force but not so I see.
Well, they were almost all military of some branch or another. Armstrong was EX-military as a retired Naval aviator. But I believe he was the only one of the astronauts who wasn't an active serviceman.
Old 29th January 2019, 19:21     #3852
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well, they were almost all military of some branch or another. Armstrong was EX-military as a retired Naval aviator. But I believe he was the only one of the astronauts who wasn't an active serviceman.
..up to the end of Gemini. Don't forget Professor Schmitt the geologist on Apollo 17
Old 5th February 2019, 11:55     #3853
Cyberbob

Serenity (Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway) is getting a lot of coverage at the moment because it's bombed so hard. I hadn't even heard of it until after it's release, mostly due to the bad press, and it's super ridiculous plot twists.

Did anyone actually see it?
Old 5th February 2019, 11:55     #3854
Cyberbob

Edit: somehow it let me double post, which isn't supposed to be possible.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:34     #3855
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Confession: watched Rampage, enjoyed it.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:54     #3856
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Serenity (Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway) is getting a lot of coverage at the moment because it's bombed so hard. I hadn't even heard of it until after it's release, mostly due to the bad press, and it's super ridiculous plot twists.

Did anyone actually see it?
It sounds very weird.
Old 5th February 2019, 14:42     #3857
Delphinus

Watched Red Sparrow on a plane recently and really enjoyed.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2873282/
Old 7th February 2019, 19:53     #3858
StN
I have detailed files

Dear Ab.

Crikey.

Apollo 11.
Old 7th February 2019, 20:15     #3859
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Excuse me I have to go and beat off now. I may be some time.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:07     #3860
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Captain Marvel site is the best thing since this site launched on geocities.

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel
Old 11th February 2019, 02:47     #3861
Lightspeed

I enjoyed punching granny Kree.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:15     #3862
pxpx

Needs more paint shop pro lens flare
Old 14th February 2019, 14:35     #3863
Lightspeed

The Dune cast is looking good. Josh Brolin the latest.
Old 14th February 2019, 17:17     #3864
crocos

Ugh. Sick of that book-series - though the first two are alright.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th February 2019, 19:40     #3865
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What do you mean first two? There were only two.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:26     #3866
Cyberbob

Also, I had no idea James McAvoy was in the Dune miniseries as Leto II until the other day.

The cast is looking top notch for the new movie, but I'll hold reservations until I see it, or at least a trailer.

If you're interested in all things Dune, Jodorowsky's Dune is a fantastic documentary on a Dune film that never happened.
Old 15th February 2019, 21:41     #3867
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Jodorowsky's Dune is a fantastic documentary on a Dune film that never happened.
I'm very relieved it never happened. Jodorowsky never even read the book, and his vision for the film was some sort of psychedelic 1970s abomination.
Old 16th February 2019, 22:47     #3868
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What do you mean first two? There were only two.
Mistakes were made. At least I stopped reading before Sandworms.

Old 16th February 2019, 23:28     #3869
Lightspeed

I haven't read any of the Dune because of not know what to read/not read after hearing wide criticisms. But maybe I'll read the first two books after I've finished this series by Cixin Liu.

Pretty sure I can do that before the movie. My memories of the movies and games are sketchy, I only remember the tech and general weirdness.
Old 17th February 2019, 10:13     #3870
Know me.

Watched "three identical strangers" on a plane trip and it started off as a happy story then just got darker and darker. Recommend.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:39     #3871
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I haven't read any of the Dune because of not know what to read/not read after hearing wide criticisms. But maybe I'll read the first two books after I've finished this series by Cixin Liu.

Pretty sure I can do that before the movie. My memories of the movies and games are sketchy, I only remember the tech and general weirdness.
Yeah, just don't. First book doesn't resolve enough, but is well written.
2nd book doesn't provide closure, though is also enjoyable.
3rd book is where things start to go downhill though there's enough there that you want to go further.... and from there on it just doesn't really reward the mental effort.

Old 22nd February 2019, 21:10     #3872
MadMax
Stuff

Dune, everything Dune, is my most favourite thing ever.

I must know who will do the soundtrack.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:45     #3873
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
and from there on it just doesn't really reward the mental effort.
That’s an interesting way of putting it
Old 23rd February 2019, 20:40     #3874
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That’s an interesting way of putting it
I got enough BS cluttering up my head. I regret adding the later books of Dune to that mess.

Old 23rd February 2019, 20:48     #3875
Deadmeat

Temple Grandin
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/
Old 5th March 2019, 22:39     #3876
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Marvel is next-level at this shit
Hmm - so my boss wrote a blog at work, and mentioned the phrase "Better the Balance".

There's a pose that looks exactly like Lenny Shrug.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is somebody trolling?

Last edited by StN : 5th March 2019 at 22:42.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:18     #3877
pxpx

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Really good.
Old 6th March 2019, 11:39     #3878
Cyberbob

Yep, really good. Easily the best Spiderman movie. Fantastic art direction, and I think people with superhero fatigue could still appreciate this one.

Gwen needs her own film.
Old 6th March 2019, 12:00     #3879
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Fantastic art direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXUG_vN540
Old 9th March 2019, 20:14     #3880
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Just got out of captain marvel, fnAWESOME.