User Name
Password

Old 10th October 2018, 13:06     #3801
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Oh ho ho.

Despite its flaws, I still liked Suicide Squad. If they keep the same characters/actors, that would make me very happy.
Do you have the brain worms? There were like, 10 minutes of watchable cinema in that entire movie.
Old 10th October 2018, 13:52     #3802
Lightspeed

I think we were looking for different things in the movie. For me it was real world shit taken to comic book extreme. It was all colours, no black & white.

I mean, the villain was Waller. And she was amazing.

And the relationship between the Joker and Harley is something that happens. I know of at least a couple of cases of it happening (shrink falling for her inmate client) in NZ in the last 10-15 years.

The nonsense shit that needs overlooking is the same nonsense shit I overlook in almost every movie. I don't see anything special about it in SS.

The world is nuts, right? The real, non-comic book version we live in. SS seemed more true to that than any comic/superhero movie I've seen.
Old 10th October 2018, 14:14     #3803
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Call me crazy but when I go to a movie I like a story and characters and dialogue and to not be jerked around by the director/producers.

No story, shit characters (except Harley and Waller), shit dialogue (except Deadshot's "y'all jokers are crazy" scene), and I felt the whole time like the movie was pasted together by the marketing department. Joker, what a fucking waste of time.

Edit update: which of course makes me very very excited by the Gunn news
Old 10th October 2018, 14:28     #3804
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's the story that's been sold since before it was released. I get that.

Maybe an accidental consequence of not being led down a familiar and comfortable path let me put together the movie I wanted in my head.

I haven't been able to watch most of the Marvel movies for a second time because I just get bored. I just want to watch a couple of the action scenes and that's it. Ant-Man, Ragnarok. That's probably it.

Joker was the best. Probably because I'm not sure I've seen a vulnerable Joker before.
Old 10th October 2018, 15:46     #3805
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I liked Leto's Joker for the 2.8 seconds that he featured in the movie after being portrayed as practically the lead character in the promotional material. That's what I mean by "jerked around by the director/producers".
Old 10th October 2018, 16:22     #3806
StN
I have detailed files

Any thoughts on Joaquin?
Old 10th October 2018, 21:33     #3807
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
..after being portrayed as practically the lead character in the promotional material...
I remember Scream doing this with Drew Barrymore and it worked fantastically. Not so much for Suicide Squad.
Old 11th October 2018, 00:39     #3808
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I liked Leto's Joker for the 2.8 seconds that he featured in the movie after being portrayed as practically the lead character in the promotional material. That's what I mean by "jerked around by the director/producers".
I don't so much care about the jerkings of any director/producers. Leto nailed the role, and maybe it happened by mistake, but I liked the low volume, high impact scenes. There was a lot of Joker in that movie, even if he didn't have a lot of screen time.

I think I actually prefer the theatrical over the extended version. It's like they did more of that jerking and jammed in the extra scenes in reply to the critical response.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:34     #3809
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Any thoughts on Joaquin?
Based on that, Heath Ledger ruined it for everyone.
Old 13th November 2018, 14:20     #3810
Lightspeed

Very sad

RIP Stan Lee.
Old 28th November 2018, 21:41     #3811
ceer

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Huh!

So No Country For Old Men was fantastic, so was looking forward to this and it also had a 93% rate on Rotten Tomatoes, same as NCFOM.

I must be getting old cos it was great for the first few stories then it drags in the middle (longer than it should do) and then flattens out in the end as very mediocre to me.

So as I said I must be getting old as I found it very average, added to this fact I didn't really enjoy BlacKKKlansmen either. Oh well.
Old 29th November 2018, 01:00     #3812
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Really enjoyed Arrival, with a few gripes. I knew the source novella before seeing it so no huge surprises. Amy Adams ftw.
Old 29th November 2018, 07:33     #3813
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
Huh!

So No Country For Old Men was fantastic, so was looking forward to this and it also had a 93% rate on Rotten Tomatoes, same as NCFOM.

I must be getting old cos it was great for the first few stories then it drags in the middle (longer than it should do) and then flattens out in the end as very mediocre to me.

So as I said I must be getting old as I found it very average, added to this fact I didn't really enjoy BlacKKKlansmen either. Oh well.
Yeah - Started well, but I found the Liam Neeson bit dragged. I was convinced it was Keanu in the rattled one, and got distracted during the last few minutes of the last one, so had no idea what happened when they got to the hotel.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:43     #3814
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Omfg I just found out that the Spitfires in Nolan’s Dunkirk weren’t CG. They were real actual operational Spitfires.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:54     #3815
pxpx

Venom was mostly bleh, but there were some really good moments in it. WTB 110mins of Brock/Venom banter plz.
Old 4th December 2018, 17:14     #3816
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Captain Marvel - Trailer 2
Old 4th December 2018, 17:24     #3817
Cyberbob

Introduced to a few new characters, but not a great trailer IMO. Generic Trailer Music #7843, big budget action shots, very flat VO.
Old 5th December 2018, 00:07     #3818
Lightspeed

We see some of her abilities, which are obviously next level compared to most of the Avengers.
Old 5th December 2018, 15:58     #3819
blynk

and we see a couple of different looks she is known for.
Old 5th December 2018, 16:57     #3820
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We see some of her abilities, which are obviously next level compared to most of the Avengers.
Yeah I'm kinda concerned about that. Captain Marvel is so OP she might as well be a DC character.
Old 6th December 2018, 19:02     #3821
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah I'm kinda concerned about that. Captain Marvel is so OP she might as well be a DC character.
... which is relatively consistent with her character in the Marvel universe. Does have vulnerabilities... well, as much as any Kree supersoldier.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th December 2018, 22:52     #3822
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I guess we don't yet know what her MCU powers are... but some of the powers she's had during various comic story arcs are g-g-g-godlike.
Old 6th December 2018, 23:29     #3823
Lightspeed

Wink

A god in the MCU? Never happen.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:46     #3824
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's why I said that her powers are g-g-g-godlike rather than saying she's practically a god.
Old 7th December 2018, 13:13     #3825
Lightspeed

Very angry

You're a g-g-g-godlike!

Last edited by Lightspeed : 7th December 2018 at 13:17.
Old 8th December 2018, 03:25     #3826
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

No, YOUR the new Avengers trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8
Old 8th December 2018, 15:09     #3827
Savage

Creed 2

Practically a remake of Rocky III but with much better acting, fighting, and dialogue. Not once were the words "I'm gonna get you sucker" uttered.
Slightly disappointed by complete lack of any Eye of the Tiger
Old 8th December 2018, 15:54     #3828
Lightspeed

Cheesy grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No, YOUR the new Avengers trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8
*Squeeee!*
Old 9th December 2018, 18:57     #3829
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Really enjoyed Arrival, with a few gripes. I knew the source novella before seeing it so no huge surprises. Amy Adams ftw.
I really enjoyed this too. Very fun how the plot was revealed. Fascinating story.
Old 9th December 2018, 23:55     #3830
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I thought the we're an alien species and we have no concept of linear time and by the way we need your help 3000 years from now conceit was useless Hollywood shit that made no sense.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:14     #3831
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In other news, James Gunn goes full Kid Marvelman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6eB0JT1DI4
Old 10th December 2018, 19:38     #3832
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I thought the we're an alien species and we have no concept of linear time and by the way we need your help 3000 years from now conceit was useless Hollywood shit that made no sense.
How'd it go in the novella?
Old 10th December 2018, 20:08     #3833
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The heptapods just leave, and there is no explanation of why they left or why they visited.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:30     #3834
Lightspeed

Yeah, that sounds cooler.
Old 31st December 2018, 21:51     #3835
MadMax
Stuff

Watched both versions of The Fly: 1958 and 1986

Both were brilliant.
Old 3rd January 2019, 00:19     #3836
Savage

Aquaman ... 5/10 (tops). Hoped for much more, wasn't terribly surprised when it turned out much like SS and JL.
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:36     #3837
Lightspeed

Heh, I'll probably enjoy it then.

With the Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 releases so close together (8 March, April 26) you might/could be able to see both back-to-back at the movies.

Then it's a long haul to Spiderman in July.
Old 11th January 2019, 20:46     #3838
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'll watch literally anything with Tom Hardy, which clashes with my other directive of "don't watch sony superhero movies". I've always loved Venom and i so wanted this to be a winner.
I'm not so proud that I can't admit that I really enjoyed Venom. I think having it be a dark Zack Snyder R13 flick would have been a mistake. LOVE Tom Hardy.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:09     #3839
[Malks] Pixie

Yeah have to admit that I enjoyed it far more than I expected - and Hardy really leaned into the role, HARD.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:34     #3840
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm not so proud that I can't admit that I really enjoyed Venom. I think having it be a dark Zack Snyder R13 flick would have been a mistake. LOVE Tom Hardy.
"Parasite? Parasite!? APOLOGISE!"