Arrrggghhh!!
Old 12th May 2023, 08:35     #43762
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh grud!
Old 19th May 2023, 17:56     #43763
MadMax
Stuff

Witnessed a crash between a little kids off-road motorbike and an innocent motorist.

As I'm pulling around I'm trying to work out what was going on and see one person pulling out another from the wrecked bike and no one yet assisting. Once I got there the driver of the bike had scooped up a little unconscious ~three year old with a bloodied face. As I'm on the phone with emergency services a nurse comes running up which was a relief I can tell you.

The lady who must have been the driver of the car was staying out of it - don't blame her given the uncle's* distress.

That was not fun and nor was directing traffic. I'd make a circular hand sign advising people to turn back rather than get trapped in the road islands but some people thought they'd be able to go on the wrong side of the road right on the intersection to get past.

*I think I heard the guy telling the boy "your uncle's here". I'm assuming that the uncle was riding with the boy somehow on his lap, lost control somewhere approaching the intersection at late dusk and slammed into the side of the car.

Hopefully the boy's OK. He came to after a minute or two and wasn't too keen on going into the ambulance

Last edited by MadMax : 19th May 2023 at 18:00.
Old 24th May 2023, 06:22     #43764
StN
I have detailed files

Rolf died two weeks ago.

Zero fucks given.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:01     #43765
StN
I have detailed files

Has anyone got hold of Bruce yet?

Fred's buggered though - hard to hang a hide on a shed when he's been cremated.

Last edited by StN : 24th May 2023 at 08:06.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:09     #43766
StN
I have detailed files

Whoops - Lou not Bruce.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:28     #43767
MadMax
Stuff

“The wifi cable is plugged into the hard drive.” I just had that on my last phone call. Yeah it’s too early in the day for that one thanks.
Old 28th May 2023, 15:04     #43768
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

HB Ceasar.
Old 28th May 2023, 22:08     #43769
Caesar

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
HB Ceasar.
Cheers LS
Old 29th May 2023, 08:57     #43770
wazza
*flex*

I blow my nose twice a day, once when I wake up and once before I go to sleep. It's been 5-6 weeks since I had a lumbar puncture(x10!) and whenever I blow my nose I can feel where they did the lumbar puncture. It's very odd.

That's my story.
Old 29th May 2023, 14:00     #43771
wazza
*flex*

India official drains entire dam to retrieve phone

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/490...retrieve-phone

lulz
Old 29th May 2023, 15:19     #43772
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

For an Android phone?
Old 30th May 2023, 08:40     #43773
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
India official drains entire dam to retrieve phone

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/490...retrieve-phone

lulz
Haha, I bet it wasn't sensitive government information that was on the phone.
He probably had some dodgy shit of himself on there
Old 30th May 2023, 09:44     #43774
StN
I have detailed files

Ahh - the old poisoned DNS due to a bung cert update trick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald
A service bulletin from InternetNZ late yesterday noted technical problems that hit .ac.nz (education) addresses yesterday then spread to other local domains from 10.45pm last night. A further update at 9.21am this morning said, “The issue will resolve over time”.

Responding to a Herald query on Twitter, cloud computing engineer Simon Lyall said, “InternetNZ was changing the key they use to sign .nz and made a mistake. So DNS [domain name server] queries are getting a certificate error.” In other words, it seems a change designed to boost security went haywire, rendering some sites inaccessible. It seems the change related to a measure to prevent “DNS spoofing” - or maliciously redirecting a user to a fake version of a website.

InternetNZ acknowledged the issue when approached by the Herald. More information is pending.

Some people posted that clearing their web browser’s cache resolved the issue, but Lyall cautioned that might not work if there are problems further up the food chain.

Last edited by StN : 30th May 2023 at 09:45.
Old 30th May 2023, 10:52     #43775
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

#itsalwaysdns
Old 30th May 2023, 14:28     #43776
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Under MMP, if everyone (100%) voted Party A for their MP/electorate (say 72 seats), but Party B for their party vote... how many seats would we have in total so that Party B's representation was 100%?

Would we get 120 seats of B + 72 electorate seats of A?

I don't expect that particular outcome of course, but I'm just wondering how it really works.
Old 31st May 2023, 20:47     #43777
blynk

I assume that Party B would get 120 seats and Party A would get 72 seats.

So we would have a parliament with 192 seats. The 72 seats would be considered extra
Old 31st May 2023, 21:37     #43778
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I don't know if that's the official answer, but it does lead me to suspect the "proportional" part is a bit skew-whiff. We're fudging to make up proportions, but as the extreme case shows, it's still not right. 100% party vote could lead to only 63% (a majority) representation, but still. It's the only system we've got.
Old 1st June 2023, 06:15     #43779
StN
I have detailed files

CBHS vs CC

Based on headlines, it seems the reporters may have been watching different games?

The Press : Annual grudge match between Christchurch rugby schools one-sided but mostly trouble-free.

The Herald : Christchurch Boys’ High School v Christ’s College: Punches, homophobic slurs and abuse thrown at first XV rugby grudge match.

Whilst the cutting barb "Your dad works for my dad!" is traditionally technically correct, the counter mention of "Syrup suckers" is grounded in more urban legend - although a previous teacher told me he was not allowed to discuss it under any circumstances.

I guess the local reporter knew that kind of background, so focused on the rugger and the outcome, whereas the Aucklander may have been clutching at pearls.

Meh.
Old 1st June 2023, 07:22     #43780
wazza
*flex*

Cunning linguist

lulz, sean strickland(ufc) started a podcast and i offered him a tip and he liked it. a famous person acknowledged me.

what a day
Old 2nd June 2023, 07:24     #43781
wazza
*flex*

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:14     #43782
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
Good old Simon Jansen - creator of the jet powered beer cooler...
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:55     #43783
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

AI-Controlled Drone Goes Rogue, Kills Human Operator in USAF Simulated Test
The Air Force's Chief of AI Test and Operations said "it killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33...simulated-test
thisisfine.gif
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:55     #43784
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

“One simulated test saw an AI-enabled drone tasked with a mission to identify and destroy SAM sites, with the final go/no go given by the human.

“However, having been ‘reinforced’ in training that destruction of the SAM was the preferred option, the AI then decided that ‘no-go’ decisions from the human were interfering with its higher mission – killing SAMs – and then attacked the operator in the simulation.

“We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat. And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat. The system started realising that while they did identify the threat at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective.”

“We trained the system – ‘Hey don’t kill the operator – that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’.

“So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target.”

Old 3rd June 2023, 01:39     #43785
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Wait until it encounters leftards. Please do.
Old 5th June 2023, 16:36     #43786
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So on Friday I ended up in a noisy nightclub with a bunch of, like, thirty-year-olds, which I am most definitely not, and maybe it's being old or the post-COVID symptoms that I still have, but I realised I was past sensible drunk and everything was starting to be too loud, and I was just over it. And I looked at my watch to see if it was an acceptable time to bail, and got called out on it by the person I was sitting next to.

She: "You better not be thinking of leaving!"

My brain: "Give a reason but try not to sound your age."

My mouth: "I have to go and...."

My brain: "DON'T SOUND YOUR AGE"

My mouth: "...play Zelda now."

Mission accomplished!
Old 7th June 2023, 19:15     #43787
Cyberbob

Completely anecdotal and absolutely not science, but there's a curious amount of UFO related news lately.

The latest from the rather credible Guardian newspaper.
Old 7th June 2023, 22:09     #43788
Lightspeed

The Guardian works too hard an angle for me. It's too often stuff I'd love to believe is true.

Indulging, it would be a party if someone did have alien vehicles stashed somewhere. It would mean we can throw out the Fermi paradox.
Old 11th June 2023, 13:56     #43789
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

RIP Unabomber
Old 11th June 2023, 16:37     #43790
wazza
*flex*

gg Amanda Nunes. take care
Old 14th June 2023, 16:26     #43791
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Brilliant - that's where I can put that spare HP Touchstone dock.
From a time before the iPad...

Alas - it had a good run, but finally, after about 13 years, the old HP tablet has blown its Lipo - WebOS updates stopped a long time ago, but it did display a nice STTNG clock. Into the bin, no hesitation. I have enough crap in the garage!
Old 21st June 2023, 11:11     #43792
MadMax
Stuff

Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger doing the mostly spoken lyrics for Rammstein’s Stripped.
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:51     #43793
xor

My number 2 son used his jiu jitsu skills while we were camping last weekend. I was keeping an eye out while two groups of kids were playing about when one of the bigger kids grabbed my son's wrist and formed a fist with his other hand. Number 2 son instinctively slipped out of the wrist control that the big kid had and got into the big kids face.

Big kid was surprised that number 2 son effortlessly slipped out of the wrist control and stepped up.
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:56     #43794
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nice!
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:01     #43795
wazza
*flex*

gg!
Old 24th June 2023, 13:08     #43796
MadMax
Stuff

Some ho in a beat up old Commy was following me not quite right up my ass but still fairly closely on my way home at lunch time yesterday. I live on a bend on a street and like to reverse into my driveway, so pulled over in advance of reaching the bend to let her pass so I can cleanly make the maneuver.

It's a move I've done 1000's of times before and I don't muck around when doing it. She sees me leave the curb of the road once she passes but then curiously pulls over and sits on the yellow no parking lines up from my house as I reverse into my driveway. From the way she's rubbernecking in her seat I'm guessing she thought she was in for some road rage or something?

She's still sitting there as I walk to my front door and it's not till I get my keys out that I see her throw her hands up in confusion or whatever was going on in her crazy head and take off.

Last edited by MadMax : 24th June 2023 at 13:11.
Old 24th June 2023, 15:12     #43797
Lightspeed

The Orcas are rising up:

Orcas disrupt boat race near Spain in latest display of dangerous, puzzling behavior
Old 28th June 2023, 10:13     #43798
xor

My brother died a few days ago. Had a brain tumor for 30 years. He suffered a fall due to him being wobbly on his feet and got a hematoma on his brain. He was put into a coma by the ambulance staff and as a result someone is now the proud owner of a second hand liver, and someone else has some eyes.
Old 28th June 2023, 10:39     #43799
StN
I have detailed files

There is joy in this. Not now, and not yet. But down the track, the recipients may be touched by a sense of appreciation and thanks. And in that way, your brothers altruistic gifts will continue to have a positive impact.

Hopefully there is some solace in that.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 28th June 2023, 11:11     #43800
wazza
*flex*

My condolences, that's intense.