NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 30th April 2023, 13:13     #3281
wazza
*flex*

i requested discharge, they wanted to keep me around and observe further but i couldn't bear hearing any more tragic news about the patients around me, i needed to get out of there.

i'm home
Old 30th April 2023, 13:28     #3282
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How are you feeling?
Old 30th April 2023, 14:44     #3283
wazza
*flex*

90%

quite suprised at myelin sheath regeneration. pins and needs are gone. stairs are no longer an issue, i can run and jump again. i can brush my teeth and use a pen without an issue.

kinda blows me away how i can go from borderline paralysis to fully functional in 2 weeeks.

the headaches post IVIG were brutal. today is the first day without headaches.

as i sit here typing this i'm racking my brain trying to isolate a symptom for this post and i can't think of anything notable. the reason i say 90% is because when i do lunges(rear and front) i'm a little wonky, and when i do romanian deadlifts i have a tightness in my hips, glutes and hamstrings. i said i would do only the resistance days at f45 but i changed that up yesterday after waking up and feeling like i could attend the cardio/hiit saturday class, and that's when i learnt that i could run and jump again. quite surprised(but also not) at my recovery.

edit: my cardiovascular system is pretty fucked, but that's to be expected. i'm still completing everything for time, i'm just not putting everything in to it like i normally would. i'm brutally aware of what the stars i'm seeing when i'm training mean

Last edited by wazza : 30th April 2023 at 14:47.
Old 30th April 2023, 15:56     #3284
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
i requested discharge, they wanted to keep me around and observe further but i couldn't bear hearing any more tragic news about the patients around me, i needed to get out of there.

i'm home
I was visiting someone in Auckland hospital a couple of weeks ago in one of the
triage wards. There was a young guy in the bed opposite to us (I never saw his face) who had just been diagnosed with cancer, just got the news. I listened to him ring his father, mother, siblings, uncles, aunts and friends one by one sharing the news. He had a loud voice and was on speaker phone. Was just heart breaking.
Old 30th April 2023, 17:07     #3285
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
I was visiting someone in Auckland hospital a couple of weeks ago in one of the
triage wards. ... He had a loud voice and was on speaker phone. Was just heart breaking.
To be fair, it was 21 years ago, but I had a worse experience in Christchurch neonatal care unit - our daughter was just 5 weeks early, so lots of O2 and a heater, and she was pretty good, but it was packed (I almost *shudder* had an Australian due to bed shortages in NZ - some woman was bumped from an elective Ceasar to resolve our issue - nurses had to turn up with passports because, NZ Health situation) to the point that parents were basically being told they had a cabbage and it was a waiting game while we were at the next incubator.

Maybe those places weren't designed with safe spaces for delicate matters.
Old 1st May 2023, 14:11     #3286
wazza
*flex*

two weeks ago i couldn't do a single skip with the rope(my body refused to jump). this morning.. the first time trying since then, i went unbroken for 100 rotations on my first try/round.

continues to blow my mind how broken i was, how dire i thought things were.

i'm also ignoring the easing back in to it, i'm back at f45 everyday it would appear. the DOMS are good, i love feeling this way. my weight has returned, too.

not sure if i mentioned it, but the heavy pins and needles in my feet, legs and finger tips are gone. and my glutes no longer deflate involuntarily when i sit. looks like i will be able to do those 6 mountain races i prepaid for, starting this month and going until september.
Old 2nd May 2023, 12:07     #3287
_indigo1

Just take it easy wazza.
Although you appear to be at 90%, your body will have taken a major hit and be running on thin wire on some essentials.

Pushing too hard too early can tip one into long COVID.
Pacing is key.

I will flick you an email with deets to get a measure of some of these deficiencies.
Old 2nd May 2023, 15:45     #3288
wazza
*flex*

roger roger. email rcv'd i booked and paid for that test.
Old 2nd May 2023, 17:10     #3289
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Just take it easy wazza.
Although you appear to be at 90%, your body will have taken a major hit and be running on thin wire on some essentials.
Yep, listen to this man.
Old 3rd May 2023, 15:43     #3290
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This would be the CDC that announced in Mar 2020 that people didn’t need to wear masks?
Nek minit

Quote:
CDC opens probe after 35 test positive for covid following CDC conference

Attendees say many people did not mask, socially distance or take other precautions recommended earlier in the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...al-conference/
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:44     #3291
_indigo1

Centre for Disease Circulation.
Old 4th May 2023, 06:54     #3292
wazza
*flex*

I seem to be 100% . had no issues with sprints in my warm up and things like kettlebell lunges are no longer wonky. dodged a bullet, imo. hamstrings are still a little tight but 3 weeks laid up would probably do that. i felt and looked quite deflated a week ago, but my glutes\quads had a nice pump this morning which felt good. i've increased my water and carb intake due to the flatness i was feeling a week ago and seem to be responding very well.

the body is mysterious and amazing at the same time ;p
Old 18th May 2023, 12:25     #3293
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The most consequential outcome of COVID might turn out to be that the entire population has been shown that the government’s default course of action in an emergency is to just flat out lie about everything.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...rges-dismissed
Old 18th May 2023, 15:53     #3294
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The most consequential outcome of COVID might turn out to be that the entire population has been shown that the government’s default course of action in an emergency is to just flat out lie about everything.

So were the police trying to help the government by taking it all the way to trial? or has "truth" pendulum just swung to the other side and now you are assuming that everything the defense lawyer is saying is the truth. Because the police can't really reply to it.
Old 18th May 2023, 17:42     #3295
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I heard the defence lawyer is actually a sex worker on her way back from northland gang clients
Old 6th October 2023, 10:46     #3296
fixed_truth

New Zealand's Covid-19 response saved 20,000 lives - research

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...lives-research

We don't know how lucky we are
Old 6th October 2023, 12:54     #3297
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's going to be paying dividends for generations. Sucks to be Labour tho, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 6th October 2023, 14:07     #3298
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

Always two sides to a story.

Where did the actual lies start from.
Old 27th November 2023, 06:16     #3299
StN
I have detailed files

After nearly 4 years, the lurgie finally got me.

Paxlovid - A++, would trade again.
Old 27th November 2023, 11:33     #3300
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
After nearly 4 years, the lurgie finally got me.

Paxlovid - A++, would trade again.
Pharmas are all fine and well, but they don't replace supporting basic bodily foundations - immune activity smashes through zinc stores and vitamin c

Have yourself 50mg+ of zinc per day - it'll help.
Old 27th November 2023, 12:57     #3301
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Pharmas are all fine and well, but they don't replace supporting basic bodily foundations - immune activity smashes through zinc stores and vitamin c

Have yourself 50mg+ of zinc per day - it'll help.
Have been for the last 3 years! Oh wait, that's just 5mg - perhaps I should take 10? I wonder how yellow that will make my wee...
Old 27th November 2023, 20:03     #3302
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Have been for the last 3 years! Oh wait, that's just 5mg - perhaps I should take 10? I wonder how yellow that will make my wee...
50mg - you need a good whack for immune support during infections.
Some people do 150mg/day - but 50mg is fine.

No it wont' make your wee yellow - thats Riboflavin/B2
Old 28th November 2023, 05:46     #3303
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
50mg - you need a good whack for immune support during infections.
Some people do 150mg/day - but 50mg is fine.

No it wont' make your wee yellow - thats Riboflavin/B2
Yeah - I was taking that to ward off the sandflies in Reefton and not just yellow, but flouro green under blacklight! (Err, apparently...)
Old 15th December 2023, 16:18     #3304
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
New Zealand's Covid-19 response saved 20,000 lives - research

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...lives-research

We don't know how lucky we are
cope.

- Excess death is steady 5-10% since 2021
- heart attacks, autoimmune issues, and cancer are through the roof
- Work disability claims are through the roof
- Nature and BBC just admitted the mRNA are imperfect gene therapy with frameshifting causing the body of injected to produce nonsense proteins.
- Only the vaccinated are catching COVID over and over again... or what they think is COVID.
- The lockdowns were illegitimate and heads will roll. They can resign and hide all they like. there is no other outcome. Heads will roll.

but sure, pats on the back all round!
Old 15th December 2023, 18:16     #3305
fixed_truth

Heads will roll? Claiming that excess illness/death etc are from the vaccine & not from Covid is not credible.
Old 15th December 2023, 21:29     #3306
wazza
*flex*

pretty sure the booster was the reason i got covid that turned in to Guillain-Barré syndrome. but i keep that shit to myself. gotta move on in life.
Old 16th December 2023, 10:49     #3307
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
cope.

- Excess death is steady 5-10% since 2021
Never mind that we changed from a zero covid strategy to a living with covid strategy, and that any excess deaths anywhere for the last few years are far more likely to be attributed to, you know, the fucking pandemic, where the heck are you getting your numbers from?

New Zealand is one of very few countries to have an overall net negative excess deaths compared to the prior period.

See here for some other comparisons.
Bloomberg: The Worst Covid Strategy Was Not Picking One

Armeina, Serbia, Russia, etc, all massive excess deaths in countries with very low vaccination numbers. How do you come to the conclusion that the vaccine is in any way related to excess death figures?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 16th December 2023 at 10:52.
Old 16th December 2023, 14:08     #3308
Lightspeed

I still remember especially that summer when the world was struggling with the ravages of covid, the awful, lonely deaths people were suffering. All while New Zealand was covid free, thanks to a timely lockdown.

I had to mind myself when engaging with friends and colleagues working overseas, not to express my relief at what we were avoiding. Or just being too chipper in general.
Old 16th December 2023, 22:55     #3309
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
New Zealand is one of very few countries to have an overall net negative excess deaths compared to the prior period.
I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly (net negative excess? what's an excess death? deaths based on prior year, or expected counts from a model?), but our death counts /have/ increased in absolute terms.

However, based on NZ stats data, the increases are only in the elderly, not in the "young" (sub 50) category. The numbers have increased by more than our official COVID death count though, so there's that. Taking numbers at face value, more old people died than normal, and they weren't all COVID deaths, but they also weren't official vaccine deaths, so it's "unknown".

I did some rudimentary analysis, and I did not find "heads will roll" data up until the end of 2022. I didn't include 2023, because there was only 9 months of data, and due to seasonality, I didn't want to just multiply by 12/9 and extrapolate a conclusion, and I wasn't prepared to work out what I should multiply it by.

What this means, I cannot say (historic population increases reaching natural death age? COVID/vaccination was nothing for young people?), but if I was the person in charge of spending money and investigating things I'd say "no need, they're old" and leave it at that. You can have that conclusion for free, with no consultancy fee and let private individuals have access to data that they request and fund their own "investigation" into vaccine deaths if they feel it is necessary. I don't think it is at this point.

There has not been an alarming increase in /deaths/ of young people, at least so far. Whether more young people are getting more [survivable/longevity reducing] diseases/illnesses is not shown in current death data, obviously. I wouldn't be able to hand on heart say "the vaccine is killing a significant number of people" (heh, significant, just a number m0f0s), but I wouldn't say "the vaccine prevented extra deaths" either because something caused more people to die, and the extra old people deaths is greater than the official "died from COVID" stats. But still, old people, so I'm not bothered. If in a few more years our deaths keep tracking higher and no one's asking why, that would be a concern, but until such things happen, it's pure speculation and preaching doom.

I'm just some schmuck with a spreadsheet, so of course it means nothing, but births have remained stable, deaths of working age people is fine, so as far as the economy goes, we did not lose taxpayers, and we reduced super obligations by a few million $ per year.
Old 17th December 2023, 09:31     #3310
blynk

Ah the evils side of looking at data, when 2 people can look at a piece of data and draw very different conclusions.

I look at that data, and while I don't have the data set to do proper analysis, I can see the trend of a lot of those numbers over the last 12 has been increasing - which would make sense with population growth. Then there is the dip due to lockdowns and we see the reduction in rate of the older groups - assumption is that this is because they are not catching a flu and ultimately dying from it.
This then cause a build up of the vulnerable, and when restrictions were loosened, then the flu (or covid) caught back up to them.

So there is a small bump from it. But there is nothing out of the ordinary for most of and it still seems to follow trend lines.
But with any spike/dip in data, the following periods are key to see if it a trend or not, so I would be very interested to see what the 2023 data looks like even if you did the 12/9 rule.

*There is a couple that don't quite follow that (80-84 & 95+) which didn't have a dip and seems to be higher
** The younger lines are too compacted to actually see what is happening to these
Old 17th December 2023, 09:50     #3311
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly (net negative excess? what's an excess death? deaths based on prior year, or expected counts from a model?), but our death counts /have/ increased in absolute terms.
I'm using single source data, in OurWorldInData and Bloomberg's graphical representation of it, but my understanding of the difference between the reported number of weekly or monthly deaths in 2020–2023 and the average number of deaths in the same period over the years 2015–2019 is that on any given week during those periods, New Zealand had an average of less deaths in 2020-2023 than during the same months in 2015-2019. Negative excess deaths.

In the Bloomberg report, NZ is only one of four countries with a negative number.
Old 17th December 2023, 11:06     #3312
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
** The younger lines are too compacted to actually see what is happening to these
I plotted that separately, that's the "nothing for young people" link (sub 50 deaths)

I see "flat" lines in that population. Maybe some very slight bumps in 2019, but we didn't even have COVID in the community until February 2020, so it's not even that, and is "within normal" range. No obvious outliers.

For transparency, I used this data from Stats NZ. I looked at "Total" (not ethnicity), and summed Male/Female and assumed that covers everyone.
Old 17th December 2023, 12:51     #3313
blynk

Apologies, I missed that 2nd link when looking through your post

Not only did lockdowns save some older people from dying. It looks like it affected some of the younger ones as well. Probably the young males that were likely to die from doing something stupid. They had less opportunities to do that
Old 18th December 2023, 07:38     #3314
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
For transparency, I used this data from Stats NZ. I looked at "Total" (not ethnicity), and summed Male/Female and assumed that covers everyone.
NZ population in 2010: 4.34M
NZ population in 2023: 5.28M

So while you looked at "Total" did you account for a 21% increase in population?

240 40 year old males dying in 2023 is significantly less per million than 230 dying in 2010, despite the total increasing.
Old 18th December 2023, 10:01     #3315
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

No, I didn't massage the numbers in any way, and I'm not calculating life insurance premiums or anything where I need to know someone's likelihood of dying with any confidence. I just looked at raw numbers to see if there was any significant increase of people under the age of 50 dying after 2019/2020 based on trends, and there was not. From that alone, I would hope Nich gets some relief.

My only objection to the Bloomberg article was the use of the non-obvious term "net negative excess deaths based on projection". It seems like a whole lot of assumption, so I looked at the thing everyone can understand: how many people died. If you want to take their conclusion and send someone a thank you card, then you can do that, but I was neither trying to thank or blame anyone for anything. I just wanted to know "did a lot of people die?".
Old 18th December 2023, 10:21     #3316
Cyberbob

OK yes I went there.

Using National Population Estimates, 2013-2023 for foregoing the 2023 numbers.

Comparison with your graph to make sure we're talking about the same data.

Here's Mortality Per Capita by age group (Using the age groups in the National Population Estimates)

The 65+ category is pretty high so we'll split out for 0-65 category for readability.

Mortality Per Capita 0-65

What do you make of those?
Old 18th December 2023, 11:27     #3317
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I don't really have any strong conclusions: we can see during lockdown less [old] people died than the previous year - but it was similar to 2015, and I'm not sure what the significance of that year was. We don't necessarily know why, although we might try to guess. We might say it was from less disease being spread, or we might say it was because they did literally nothing, which carries almost zero risk. It might be they didn't get chemo treatment, and chemo is a bitch. But we are only guessing, and the only thing I know for sure is I don't have that information and a guess is not a fact.

It also shows that more [old] people are dying now than in the last 10 years, which we also don't have the information for. The increase is still not alarming. It's ~3.55 per thousand rather than a low of ~3.3. Assuming 1M old people, that's a difference of ~250 people (I don't know what the numbers are). I don't know what these people are dying from, which probably matters. If they were all suicides, that would mean something different to if they were all boating accidents, versus all cancer, and so on.

If the trend continues and old people continue to die at higher and higher rates, we might conclude life expectancy is going down, but we have to wait and see. It might be their chemo was delayed, so now they're dying from treatment. I don't know, I'm just being cynical about chemo because it's one of those things where the cure can sometimes be worse than the disease and people have to take their chances. I say it tongue in cheek, and I'm not strongly anti-chemo, it's just an example. I don't have the information.

It looks like nothing [much] changed for the under 40s, which is interesting considering we went through "the most deadly pandemic of our lives". So deadly that we ended up all getting sick and still not a blip, even from those who refused.

Lockdown was a very expensive exercise, so it would probably have been cheaper to give free trips to Disneyland to every family whose grandma died. Not saying that's the best option, but in reality, it would probably have cost only millions instead of billions.