NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12th July 2010, 19:56     #23521
chiQ
Frag-muff

I used to get funny looks before I got my drivers' licence, when I produced a firearms licence upon request. What makes it worse is my firearms licence photo is from when I was fat and had a buzz-cut, so I look like a bull-dyke.

I haven't been asked for ID for over a year now. Probably not surprising, given my age, but still sad
Old 12th July 2010, 23:52     #23522
CCS
Stunt Pants

Pics please ^
Old 13th July 2010, 10:23     #23523
chiQ
Frag-muff

Yeah, because I so enjoy people seeing that photo. It's so nice to look like pooh

Cold night:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/updates/24658.html

It's just the usual sunny, sparkly, white wonderland out here, but I guess other areas of Wellington don't usually get this.

I just went out and watched the ice sliding off our ponga trees. It's kind of weird that they cope with it so well, given their primary natural habitat.
Old 13th July 2010, 10:24     #23524
CCS
Stunt Pants

Question for nerds: amd opteron 148, 2.2ghz. Released in 2005. Pretty middle of the road processor these days, yeah? If not pretty crappy by today's standards?
Old 13th July 2010, 10:26     #23525
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Yeah, because I so enjoy people seeing that photo. It's so nice to look like pooh
u = stink

oh wow, I just noticed my t-shirt is on backwards. what a loller!~
Old 13th July 2010, 10:33     #23526
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Question for nerds: amd opteron 148, 2.2ghz. Released in 2005. Pretty middle of the road processor these days, yeah? If not pretty crappy by today's standards?
pretty crappy by todays high end standards but would be fine for a workstation or basic gaming machine
Old 13th July 2010, 10:45     #23527
CCS
Stunt Pants

Interesting.

This workstation is running such a chip with 1gb ram. All this workstation is really required to do is encode short duration mpegs, which it manages reasonably well. The problem comes it needs to generate 3 thumbnail images from the mpeg. It takes longer than it ought to and the cpu usage completely maxes out. What I'm not certain about is whether the cpu usage is a cause or a symptom... in other words, I'm not sure if the software generating the thumbnails is not well written and is requiring more of the cpu than it should, or whether the cpu is not up to the task of what is being asked of it. I doubt I could make a good case for the cpu being upgraded to something modern (along with new mboard to suit it, etc) for the sake of saving 2 or so minutes at a time, even if the encoding process is something being done all day every day :/
Old 13th July 2010, 10:49     #23528
crocos

Could just be badly written software is the cause.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th July 2010, 10:49     #23529
Fx.

your ram is the issue imo, 2gb would be much nicer

perhaps a faster (newer) sata disk could help aswell
Old 13th July 2010, 10:56     #23530
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
your ram is the issue imo, 2gb would be much nicer
You think the ram could be contributing to a problem with the cpu usage? Looking at the process manager when the slow down occurs, the ram usage is pretty minimal.

Quote:
perhaps a faster (newer) sata disk could help aswell
Hmm... hard drive is some sort of scsi raid thingy, which means fuck all to me.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:29     #23531
Fx.

doesnt help if the pc constantly has to go back to the disks to get shit cause it doesnt have the ram to cache it

mmm.. single core cpu or dual ?

disk should be fine then unless its old as fuck scsi
Old 13th July 2010, 11:41     #23532
CCS
Stunt Pants

I believe it's single core. The people in Australia who make the software we use (and who own the hardware it is run on) are aware of the problem and apparently have updated the software but there is no discernible difference.

I dunno any more... why do I give a fuck anyway? I'm leaving.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:52     #23533
p01s0n

nothing about this makes any sense at all.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3912...-attacking-boy

Quote:
LATEST: A pit bull destroyed after attacking an eight-year-old boy living at the same west Auckland house had a history of rushing at passers-by and its owner had been formally warned at least once, Waitakere City Council says.

The dog, registered as a pit bull terrier, had been chained up in the garage of the Henderson house by its woman owner when it bit the boy in the face last night.

The boy was taken to Middlemore Hospital in south Auckland, but his injuries were considered not too serious. The dog was taken away by animal control officers and put down

Council animal welfare officer Neil Wells said the dog had a history of rushing at people.

"We have had some history with this dog and the owner, failing to keep the dog under control," he said.

"The owner had been warned about keeping the dog under control, which is why it was chained up in the garage."

He said the door of the garage was left open and the boy was attacked when he went in.

The council was still to decide whether to prosecute the owner, Mr Wells said.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:00     #23534
zeekiorage

Australol

Quote:
Australian antivax group slammed for “misleading and inaccurate information”

The antivax group Australian Vaccination Network has been found to give "misleading and inaccurate information" to its followers, according to an Australian government investigation. The investigation also concluded that despite their many denials, the AVN is in fact an antivaccination group and must make that clear when disseminating information.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:04     #23535
doppelgänger of someone

WHY ARE THE GOOD ONES ALWAYS UNAVAILABLE? WHY OH WHY?
Old 13th July 2010, 14:07     #23536
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
Australol
Wasn't there a committee in the US that was all about forestry and raping / pillaging the earth called something like "the green trees project" - or something?

Think I heard about it in a TED talk
Old 13th July 2010, 14:19     #23537
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
WHY ARE THE GOOD ONES ALWAYS UNAVAILABLE? WHY OH WHY?
The rules of supply and demand kicks in, possibly?
Old 13th July 2010, 15:21     #23538
doppelgänger of someone

It is hard to find someone who ticks all the right boxes (for me anyway), it is harder to accept that person is unavailable (and ticks a further box: fidelity).

Sad panda for the rest of the day, with a tint of regret
Old 13th July 2010, 15:25     #23539
Reformed_Quint

If you were messing with another man's girl. So Uncool.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:33     #23540
doppelgänger of someone

For this kind of thing I like to be vague...

It is more like I see an empty seat, but was told gently that the seat is taken already.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:49     #23541
Reformed_Quint

So you were keen on some girl, but then she was all 'nah, I already got sausage'?
Old 13th July 2010, 15:53     #23542
p01s0n

seems appropriate

Old 13th July 2010, 15:57     #23543
doppelgänger of someone

Very sad

I haven't invested enough emotionally to want to murder anyone. I just wish things could have been different. Just sad really.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:03     #23544
Reformed_Quint

Sucks bo, hug?
Old 13th July 2010, 16:05     #23545
doppelgänger of someone

Man hug = thanks but no thanks. It is times like this I subscribe to Choppers' motto: "HARDEN THE FUCK UP MATE".
Old 13th July 2010, 16:08     #23546
CCS
Stunt Pants

Plenty of fish in the sea, mate. HAW HAW HAW!
Old 13th July 2010, 16:11     #23547
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
It is times like this I subscribe to Choppers' motto: "HARDEN THE FUCK UP MATE".
I was at least going to give you a hug before I told you to stop being a bitch about it
Old 13th July 2010, 16:28     #23548
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
If you were messing with another man's girl. So Uncool.
All's fair in love and war. The only exception is where you can't is if you're going for one of your broski's wimin.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:40     #23549
Bandalador

Tell your wife I said thanks.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:42     #23550
xor

Zing. Nice burn broskette.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:52     #23551
CCS
Stunt Pants

Bandl;ors most burnacious burnination yet.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:54     #23552
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
All's fair in love and war. The only exception is where you can't is if you're going for one of your broski's wimin.
lol fuck off. Pretty much the 3 rules of life are you don't fuck with someones car, g/bf or smartphone.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:59     #23553
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
lol fuck off. Pretty much the 3 rules of life are you don't fuck with someones car, g/bf or smartphone.
If my now wife was with another man and we had a connection, i'd move in on that shit. What loyalty do you owe this other guy? If his partner is happy then she won't think twice.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:00     #23554
Bandalador

Thankfully I've only ever had my car fucked with. Badge stealing bitches. Oh yeah and my daughter fucked with my smartphone. Insurance, love it.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:04     #23555
Bandalador

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
If my now wife was with another man and we had a connection, i'd move in on that shit. What loyalty do you owe this other guy? If his partner is happy then she won't think twice.
Haha loyalty, what a fucking bottom feeder.
How about the 'not being a scummy seagull' path in life that we kinda should try and follow in order to not be a scummy seagull.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:06     #23556
CCS
Stunt Pants

Badloer dispenses morality and values advice. Creamy!
Old 13th July 2010, 17:06     #23557
Reformed_Quint

Had my car and my wimin fucked with. Was so fucked off, it's so hard to find a new badge!
Old 13th July 2010, 17:08     #23558
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
which is awesome and super until she has a connection with another guy
Old 13th July 2010, 17:10     #23559
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
Haha loyalty, what a fucking bottom feeder.
How about the 'not being a scummy seagull' path in life that we kinda should try and follow in order to not be a scummy seagull.
How is your womans loyalty the problem of some other man? Surely it's your own fault if she feels she'd have to stray.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:12     #23560
Bandalador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Had my car and my wimin fucked with. Was so fucked off, it's so hard to find a new badge!
Tell me about it. Thank fuck for ebay and great US customer service! JDM shit for cheeeeeaper than JDM!