Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
OMG BUCKIES FUCKED A MAN
jealous?
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:22     #5523
duckmannz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Are you sure she qualifies purely because her grandfather is catholic?
Yeah, they said we just have to prove the baptism which shouldn't be so hard. The school has a cap of 15% non-Catholic but a long waiting list.

I agree with the anti-religion in school but we had RE once a week at my primary school and I mostly yawned through it.
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:40     #5524
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Wont you have to sacrifice a subject for bible-studies though?

EG.
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biolodgy
English

Pick one to sacrifice to CATHOLICISM!

DUN DUN DUUUUUN

(i may be wrong, but have you checked it out)

I know that at a catholic school one of my mates went to they had to do bible studies as a subject.
I choose to sacrifice "Biolodgy" as I've never heard of it. However I see you're missing Biology from your list.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:41     #5525
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
OMG BUCKIES FUCKED A MAN
-1 to your score, apparently.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:01     #5526
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Jesus christ, lady. Calm the fuck down.
Er...I was calm. Just cos you reaed it as angry doesn't mean it is. Was merely saying how it is. I had catholic education my whole life and im pretty normal. All the weirdo religous people who bible thump are the ones that go to church 5 times a week and door knock. To us it was just a school with more holidays than other schools. I went to Avondale College for 6th and 7th form, not sure which was worse.
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:07     #5527
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
and im pretty normal.
lol hwat?
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:12     #5528
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Er...I was calm. Just cos you reaed it as angry doesn't mean it is. Was merely saying how it is. I had catholic education my whole life and im pretty normal. All the weirdo religous people who bible thump are the ones that go to church 5 times a week and door knock. To us it was just a school with more holidays than other schools. I went to Avondale College for 6th and 7th form, not sure which was worse.
Sounds to me like you've got sand up your vag about people knocking your precious school. Or any school for that matter.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:12     #5529
buckies

Damn it. I was fishing for something more blunt and homophobic given this is NZG. I hadn't factored in someone given it serious consideration and an appropriate response.

All the -1'ers will be punished accordingly.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:38     #5530
CCS
Stunt Pants

YOUR A HOMO AND SO IS YOUR 'MATE'

Feel better now?
Old 22nd November 2008, 23:20     #5531
p01s0n

On the topic of religious schools, I went to a catholic school from 1st form through to 6th where I left school. I don't believe in god and never have (wouldn't say atheist since atheism these days seems to identify someone who goes out of thier way to disprove god, I just never felt the whole 'god loves everyone and everything' and the idea has never influenced my life).

We did one RE session a week, chapel on Fridays and various services throughout the year and I just sat there rolling my eyes and bored.

So probably not too much risk of being "converted". My sister went to a catholic school from kindy through to 7th form and had similar 'exposure' as me, and she shares similar beliefs since that's just how we were bought up (no church, no prayers before meals, no "gods watching out for you and jesus is everywhere!!" talks from our parents)

I wouldn't really worry about any brainwashing or anything, a lot of the guys felt the same as me, and also the religious ones had their views too.

its really no different from normal school, but you get more attention from the teachers due to the class sizes. At my school, bullying was treated like murder, any suggestion of you being a dick to someone else had you infront of the headmaster ASAP explaining yourself. I remember this one time that a bit of an 'in-joke' got misunderstood. There was this maori guy 'Duke', and it was all a big joke at how black he was (he was in on it too, so no hassles). Anyway, we were playing rugby for PE and duke fumbled the ball and one of his friends on his team is like "GOOD ONE DUKE, YA BLACK BITCH!". Suffice to say, that guy didn't see the end of the game.
Old 23rd November 2008, 00:58     #5532
devilmonkey

http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/834287 I'm getting my self a medieval fortress!!! any one keen to live at the other side??
Old 23rd November 2008, 03:09     #5533
Bent

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. There is no brain washing. The religous education you receive is based on decent morals and values. 90% of my education was at Catholic schools and you don't become a brainwashed retard spouting about sin and redemption. Its just a school.
But do you believe in god? We need more athiests not more maybe-christians. I would the argue that the danger of religious schools is not the borderline crazy and easily dismissable Christian dogma, but the underlying implication in all classes that God is real and does not even need to be critically examined.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:03     #5534
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmonkey
http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/834287 I'm getting my self a medieval fortress!!! any one keen to live at the other side??
Oh hell yeah, I'm in.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:08     #5535
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
SIENA TUSCAN VILLAGE MEDIEVAL FORTRESS
IIRC, you not only get the fortress you also get the village and the people.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:08     #5536
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
I would the argue that the danger of religious schools is not the borderline crazy and easily dismissable Christian dogma, but the underlying implication in all classes that God is real and does not even need to be critically examined.
Not everything to do with Catholicism is mindless zombie brainwashing, as much as some people would like to think it is

I'm in exactly the same boat as p01son ... of the four high schools I went to, St Joseph's was by miles the best. The school had a brilliant record for academics, discipline, sports and community outreach work; team sports were compulsory for both summer and winter seasons, truancy was almost non-existant. If pupils misbehaved, they were punished properly, and parents were involved in the process the whole way. Point of interest - St Josephs was also one of the first schools in South Africa to "integrate" black, white and coloured pupils. They were also in the first group of private schools to ban corporal punishment.

The only class with anything remotely religious, was RE once a week. We had Muslim, Hindu, Catholic (and several other Christian denominations) students in the class, and if anything, it taught us to appreciate that ours wasn't the only point of view. Surely this is about as critical as you could expect of teenagers when learning to discuss something as abstract as religion?

If I had to choose between a second rate education, with crappy teachers, crappy facilities, and no discipline, or sending them to a good school where they may have to engage brain before deciding on their own religious beliefs, I know which way I'd be choosing.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:10     #5537
Jonas Undrawing

if you get 30 families looking to purchase a EURO1mil property each ... well, that would just be awesome.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:18     #5538
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'd just like to say that one of my brothers-in-law went to a catholic school, and though he really didn't like it he came out the other side a very well-balanced dude, with his own views, a solid perspective on life, and no religious leanings. Anyone ranting about Catholic schools being bad is being a drama queen to be honest. They're schools, with a veneer of religion. The guts of them are still the local curriculum, unless you're in a country where schools aren't regulated.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:24     #5539
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

im sold, where do i sign?
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:28     #5540
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
On the topic of religious schools, I went to a catholic school from 1st form through to 6th where I left school.
me too, marist intermediate, then St Pats until 6th form
although then i went on to 7th and beyond somewhere else.

Quote:
I wouldn't really worry about any brainwashing or anything...
yes and no.
I came out an atheist, so the brainwashing was weak
or perhaps brainwashing is for the weak-minded who like to follow.

main subjects contained no religion (maths, english etc)
but the mere fact that you have to go to a religious class once or twice a week means that there is mind manipulation going on.

but this is the same in all schools...religious or not.

Auckland grammar is full of kids being brainwashed right now.
thats why a lot of their students grow up to be little pricks
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:43     #5541
p01s0n

I presume you mean st pats wellington. I went to scots.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:49     #5542
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
I'd just like to say that one of my brothers-in-law went to a catholic school, and though he really didn't like it he came out the other side a very well-balanced dude, with his own views, a solid perspective on life, and no religious leanings. Anyone ranting about Catholic schools being bad is being a drama queen to be honest. They're schools, with a veneer of religion. The guts of them are still the local curriculum, unless you're in a country where schools aren't regulated.

School Girl Uniforms, nuf said

Old 23rd November 2008, 10:30     #5543
BloodDonor

Wacked

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4770114a11.html

Quote:
Broadcaster Tony Veitch's trial on assault charges is unlikely to get to court for up to two years because of huge backlogs in the justice system - a delay his lawyer says is a disgrace.
id have to agree... 2 bloody years?

Old 23rd November 2008, 10:34     #5544
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodDonor
School Girl Uniforms, nuf said
Old 23rd November 2008, 10:53     #5545
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
I presume you mean st pats wellington. I went to scots.
Yeah same here - it was a bit hit and miss when I was there, was getting much better right as I was leaving (typically) - just as McKinnon came in as headmaster.

Pixie
Old 23rd November 2008, 10:55     #5546
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Yeah same here - it was a bit hit and miss when I was there, was getting much better right as I was leaving (typically) - just as McKinnon came in as headmaster.

Pixie
McKinnon was the man! We all wished for him to come back when he left and the new goober came in. Fergusson what.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:09     #5547
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
IIRC, you not only get the fortress you also get the village and the people.
Well of course, what use is a fiefdom without serfs?
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:30     #5548
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge
Auckland grammar is full of kids being brainwashed right now.
thats why a lot of their students grow up to be little pricks
It's hardly brainwashing bro, I loved that school. Best school evarrr!

We do exams every term nigga... NO FEAR
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:31     #5549
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
This is crazy.

Girl goes snowboarding.
Girl wants to attempt a jump off a dropoff, but sees potentially fatal hole at bottom of dropoff.
Girl goes back up the hill, slips, falls down hill, and falls down the decidedly fatal hole.

link here
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4754542a11.html

These guys are wanted for questioning.
Fucking gravelings are at it again.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4770115a11.html

Woman crashes into power pole.
Crash doesn't kill her
She steps out of the car, and is electrocuted & fatally burnt by dangling powerlines.
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:09     #5550
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I choose to sacrifice "Biolodgy" as I've never heard of it. However I see you're missing Biology from your list.
Dammit, i studied biology at uni as well, i've just always spelled bio as biolodgy, i can't help it

Do catholic schools teach bio as bio or bio as Cells that god created? Serious question. Do they teach all the sciences as science would be taught in a non-religion based school?
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:19     #5551
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
It's hardly brainwashing bro, I loved that school. Best school evarrr!
The concept of brainwashing is weird. In a sense almost all of us are "brainwashed" into accepting the values of our society and those that aren't are mostly in prison.

It seems that the term brainwashing is used when people are being convinced of values contrary to our own.
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:22     #5552
Jonas Undrawing

that's like asking if before every maths problem they say a little thankyou to God for giving us wonderful numbers. For without these glorious numbers, maths would be very very hard. oooo you are so big! We're all real impressed down here i can tell you!
Old 23rd November 2008, 19:05     #5553
Sp0nge

Quote:
Do catholic schools teach bio as bio or bio as Cells that god created? Serious question. Do they teach all the sciences as science would be taught in a non-religion based school?
i cant speak for all religious schools....

but St pats welly taught science as per the curriculum
....no religion in them whatsoever.
some of the teachers i had for science were 'normal' teachers, and some were priests
...which can get pretty funny when theyre talking about sexual reproduction or evolution, lol

on my 7th form year i went to a public school in palmy, and didnt notice any difference in the way science was taught there
..except there were now girls in the class, so i wasnt really listening anyway
Old 23rd November 2008, 20:18     #5554
Evoke

learned from watching Parkinson's tonight that Asian in England doesn't mean the same thing as in USA and NZ.. could be all sorts of crazy confusion!
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:31     #5555
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Dammit, i studied biology at uni as well, i've just always spelled bio as biolodgy, i can't help it

I too also went to Catholic schools for all of my school life. The religious part really has no bearing on stuff outside of RE classes and the occational prayer or something. Science is taught as it is, as science. People seem to think that because Americans have this fucked up idea of teaching creationism in scools that it would be the same here. Far, far from it.
Half the teachers at my schools I would say weren't religious.
I never knew that so many people think catholic schools in NZ are crazy schools which differ vastly from normal ones, it's like a consipiracy or something.

My kids will most definatly be going to one (or at least the ones I went too, if im still in zone). Not because of the religion, but because they're good bloody schools.

I'm an atheist, and I was since the age of like 12 when I could put 2+2 together and realise how many flaws there were in the whole religion thing - so were most of the kids in my year.
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:35     #5556
leadinjector

my mum taught bio in a catholic school for a while, said it really wasnt any different from anywhere else.

the only thing she didnt like was that the other staff got upset at her for wearing different coloured shoes, ribbons in her hair and basically being ms frizzle from the magic school bus but hey, fuck them.
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:49     #5557
Bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
learned from watching Parkinson's tonight that Asian in England doesn't mean the same thing as in USA and NZ.. could be all sorts of crazy confusion!
What? Asia is anywhere south and east of Moscow until you get to Australia, pretty much. I wasn't aware of any other definition.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:16     #5558
Hurtuso

Exclamation random catholic concerns over interweb

Sex education? Are kids, especially girls, getting adequate info?

what about kiddy fiddling or is that only with little boys? Ok I'm being silly but aren't there so many cases in Catholicism that it should bring up a little alarm?

The fact that it is a religious institution and the fact there is no proof of god etc and you'll be exposing your kid to taking in this sort of nonsense when the rest of their generation are moving on. Are there no secular alternatives? Sure you can have great teachers, resources & systems but we're just gonna have the people running the place in drag conducting mystical little rituals, making outrageous claims that you are to agree with *plus* the king of the drag queens, spokesperson of the one and only god, just happens to be our main man living right here on earth. Why not just have a secular, drag queen school, would be more fun!?
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:23     #5559
[WanG] Wandarah

well that might well be the definition - but people in new zealand tend to:

- call people from china, japan, korea, etc - asian.
- call people from india, indians, etc.
- tend to think of iraq, iran etc as some intercontinental playground. *

in the uk, asian yes, means from asia.

* disclaimer:
i do not mean you, or your friends. or anyone you know, just everyone else.
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:03     #5560
madmaxii

Hurtuso - you have a problem. I suspect it's called paranoia.