NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 5th September 2013, 22:09     #34601
Trigger
Laserman

this is my only internet connection, obtainable by placing my phone on a metal lamp to boost the 3G signal

Pinging google.com [203.109.178.101] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=2474ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1274ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=780ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=2104ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1913ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=798ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1039ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1276ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=3341ms TTL=58
Request timed out.
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=3575ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=3618ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1579ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=2712ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=2243ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=3044ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=1114ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=3256ms TTL=58
Reply from 203.109.178.101: bytes=32 time=2360ms TTL=58
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

please kill me
Old 6th September 2013, 09:49     #34602
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Still Apple's fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
ballmered again

like seriously, you had a situation with microsoft, google and apple involved.
and you thought apple was the one that fucked up.

just think about that for a moment. let it sink in.
Apple was the one who delivered a 32 bit app that won't run under 64 bit Windows. That's the problem. This happened because they ignored the navigator.userAgent string. Another fail on Apple's part.

Google delivered a browser capable of offering the strings required, if it were asked correctly.

Microsoft put computers into every home. I'm not sure what you're expecting of them at this point, and how it's their fault exactly. The API is there.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:58     #34603
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

TLDR? iTunes.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:46     #34604
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

OMG.
Old 7th September 2013, 23:36     #34605
Nothing

New temporary building manager grinds my gears. The other day he sent an email to everyone in the building to introduce himself. The message was not bcc'ed so everyone in the building got everyone else's email address. Pretty minor grind in some ways, but what really shits me is that I don't even know where or how the new building manager even got my email address. He left little cards in the lobby of the building for people to give him their contact details on. But I never filled one of the cards out. Grumble grumble.
Old 8th September 2013, 16:31     #34606
Trigger
Laserman

omg bro fuck he's got your email address, what you gonna do now?
change your name and skip to Syberia, or just end it all with a shotgun to the face?
Old 8th September 2013, 18:23     #34607
Nothing

I dunno, I should consult someone with experience in dealing with these kinds of tricky situations. What did you do when the police found out it was you with the laser?
Old 8th September 2013, 19:17     #34608
Savage

^lame
Old 9th September 2013, 09:15     #34609
aR Que

Haha, its good stuff tho, wouldnt expect a comment like that to sail freely at the pub.
Which email addy did he get? Id be gutted if it was my real one (everyone has layered accs, right?)

but yea, if you want privacy, stop writing it on the stall wall "for a good time"
Old 9th September 2013, 12:38     #34610
Cyberbob

"What does the fox say" is stuck in my head.
Old 9th September 2013, 12:50     #34611
CCS
Stunt Pants

You should listen to some actual good music instead. That might help?
Old 10th September 2013, 12:20     #34612
aR Que

Went through and rehabilitated a road eg. overlay, stabilisation, seal. all good. Had complaints from one guy about his driveway getting all fucked up (bottoming out his car).
Spent money on a fix. But still no end to the complaints, apparantly the road is 'built too high'. *sigh*.
Long story short, to prevent any further problems (complaints) solution is to repalce all further kerb +footpath in urban areas, next stage has 700 odd metres to be done at $115ish a m.

needless to say urban road replacements have been scaled way back (read, shit canned). Good, i hate working in towns.

still gmg.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:45     #34613
StN
I have detailed files

TL:DR RQ grumpy at getting old.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:55     #34614
CCS
Stunt Pants

$115 a metre? Fucking bargain mate.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:56     #34615
aR Que

Stop with the ever increasing hints, dammit!
Old 10th September 2013, 14:18     #34616
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Long story short, to prevent any further problems (complaints) solution is to repalce all further kerb +footpath in urban areas, next stage has 700 odd metres to be done at $115ish a m
I'm interested in the long version. How did one guy's complaints turn into urban road replacements being shit canned?
Old 10th September 2013, 14:42     #34617
aR Que

part of our KPI is public perception of the job, if they complain, it's marks against project, too many complaints and 'intervention' levels are reached. eg. penalties.

So, reduce the risk;
the 'road is too high'. its not. (geometrics and pavement design 101)
Conclusion: the driveway(s) are too low (old kerb block driveways and new vehicles, approach angles, etc. (it's a recipe)).
Minimisation techniques were attempted, and failed.
next step.
Eliminate the problem, replace kerb, footpath (driveways) @ correct hieght.

Cost of solution:
700 x 120 = 84,000 (That's one side of the road.)
84,000 x2 = 168,000 additional cost.
MVP tells me the job is no longer worth it.

edit: basically i can replace 1km of road there, or 2km somewhere else.

Last edited by aR Que : 10th September 2013 at 14:44.
Old 10th September 2013, 19:17     #34618
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

That's excellent, thanks.
Old 10th September 2013, 21:31     #34619
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Went through and rehabilitated a road eg. overlay, stabilisation, seal. all good. Had complaints from one guy about his driveway getting all fucked up (bottoming out his car).
don't blame the guy

fucking hate streets like that. driveways in russell https://www.google.co.nz/maps/previe...7!3d-40.341065 street bottom out my diamante if i don't drive at half a click/h

Last edited by MadMax : 10th September 2013 at 21:33.
Old 10th September 2013, 22:09     #34620
aR Que

Yea, i know.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:00     #34621
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I'm beginning to think that electricians in general do poor quality work; I form this view admittedly on the small sample of their work that I get to see but given consistency over time I think my observation is fair.

My latest observations come from my current house:
1. In one case my wiring is using a black core to carry the live; there a piece of red not-shrunk heat-shrink at one end covering the end of the core but nothing at the other.
2. One of my lights is wired to break the neutral; leaving the metal and not earthed fitting live at all times.
3. None of my outside power-points have been installed to be water proof; one of them in particular is positively lethal - it has a piece of conduit going through the top of an exposed surface with an air-gap to let the water in. Well I guess it's not guaranteed lethal so long as a ground-fault comes with the shock since it's wired to an RCD.
4. One of the screws on one of these outdoor fitting is live; this happened because when screwing on the faceplate the electrician also screwed into the coils of a transformer enclosed within the box.
5. Silicon adhesive was used on one down-light transformer to hold the live in place.

All of the work is otherwise done to a good tradesman-like standard using materials handymen just don't (usually) have; using parts that home improvement stores don't stock and installed using techniques that home handymen aren't aware of.

This all sounds terrible but the thing is this is the sort of thing I've seen everywhere else I've ever looked too.

Down at my local J A Russell store earlier am on Tuesday I saw a tradesman who was very clearly high from the evening before (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here that this effect wasn't from the same day). Presumably someone was paying this person to do a competent job - this was never going to happen though.

Electricians get reserved work backed by minimum standards of work. From my experience too many don't deserve this privileged.
Old 12th September 2013, 09:44     #34622
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Could be worse...

They could be more like insurance companies and just take your money and then tell you to fuck off when you want your work done because you didn't actually read the fine print which explains they are exempt from doing the work if its your fault or there is evidence that someone unqualified has ever touched it, and joke's on you because they used your money to hire lawyers rather than actually perform their stated function.

So, while I understand someone may be trying to kill you, I don't actually blame them.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:45     #34623
Lightspeed

Cheesy grin

Ahaha, that is a good post.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:01     #34624
xor

Stay safe, GT
Old 12th September 2013, 11:19     #34625
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Ahaha, that is a good post.
It's actually pretty terrible IMO.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:29     #34626
aR Que

^^ agreed... but i hate insuracne companies, so it gets a pass from me.

thing that annoys me about insurance is everyone pays A to B, disaster strikes at B, so from B to C everyone gets to pay more to cover the profit loss at B, cause fuck the idea that the money paid from A to B is for disaster at B, oh no no no, we have investors that want big dividends.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:46     #34627
StN
I have detailed files

Ahh - wait so A,B and C are points on a time line, not amounts and entities...
Old 12th September 2013, 11:51     #34628
Brutus

Sure its electricians doing the poor work and not prior owners having done a bit of diy?

I'm pretty sure that's the case in my house.

Found the lights fixtures in the hall have been moved at some point requiring the power cable to be 'extended' this extension was done by twisting the bare wires together and wrapping them in black tape. Not impressed.

Also had a flickering light in one of the bed rooms. Found the contacts in the switch hadn't been tightened. This particular switch had been replaced relatively recently as its a more modern fitting than the other bedrooms.

I need to go around and check all the fixtures and fittings now.
Not sure if insurance will actually cover us if we have a fire due to dodgy electrical work done by prior owners.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:04     #34629
aR Que

Gold star for stn.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:25     #34630
StN
I have detailed files

With A = premiums, B = Old_AMI and C = New_AMI, it almost reads...

Still grumpy about your birthday?

Had a chat with an auditor today.

He asked about software licences and where I kept them.

I told him I file them in a folder.

He asked where the folder was.

I told him we keep that in the bookcase.

He asked if I could describe that, because he was unfamiliar with the product.

I told him it was about 1.8m tall and grey...
Old 12th September 2013, 13:43     #34631
Juju
get to da choppa

The team I work in consists of 4 other guys. The next youngest guy after me is in his 40's, and the others are in there 50's and 60's.
We work in an IT heavy environment, but nothing over complicated. Lots of MS Office products and a ticketing system. The dinosaurs are still struggling, even 3 months after introducing some new processes (Complicated stuff, like assigning a ticket to your name).

shit be gettin frustrating. Go retire and let some young blood in ffs.

I should probably add these guys have come in from the field. Cable installers etc. Not an IT background.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:38     #34632
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Blows my mind how some - usually older - people are permanently hardwired to be baffled by computers. I've lost track of how many times I've had an interaction like

Quote:
"Hey Simon I'm no good with computers how do I do this thing that is critical to my life/job?"

"NFI, what is thing and what are you using to do it?"

"Oh I have to perform (function I've never heard of) in (application I've never heard of) on (platform I don't use)."

"Never heard of any of that shit and I don't use Windows/Android/whatever, show me. Well that function is probably labelled something sensible and whaddya know, there's a big fucking button labelled just that right there in the middle of the screen. You should click that."

"Gee thanks Simon, I'm just no good with computers lol!"
It's mind-boggling.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:00     #34633
Cyberbob

I've had that far too many times. I don't get it.

Same with searching the web.

Googling for "What is a good place to go for a holiday in Hawkes Bay?"

Surely people understand that there isn't an imp in the computer screen that quickly looks at your query, then scribbles what you want on the screen.

Key words mother fucker.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:03     #34634
p01s0n

I actually get really relevant and useful information when I google search like that.

same with 'how do i xyz?', 'where can i xyz in abc?' 'will madmax ever stop posting?' etc
Old 12th September 2013, 15:20     #34635
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Blows my mind how some - usually older - people are permanently hardwired to be baffled by computers.
It varies from person to person of course, generally speaking it's either a belief (I'm bad at computers, so I won't even try when I get stuck) or a way of thinking/information processing that's not suited to parsing what's seen on a screen. Likely a combination of both.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:20     #34636
p01s0n

Quote:
It varies from person to person of course, generally speaking it's either a belief (I'm bad at computers, so I won't even try when I get stuck) or a way of thinking/information processing that's not suited to parsing what's seen on a screen. Likely a combination of both.
but enough about your posting,
Old 12th September 2013, 15:21     #34637
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Ahahaha, snap.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:25     #34638
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
but enough about your posting,
But enough about your FACE! Hahaha.
Old 12th September 2013, 16:22     #34639
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I call it being a fucking retard.

I've used this example before - it's like someone gets into a Euro car after driving an Asian car and finds that the windscreen-wiper and indicator handles are reversed, and then freaks out and asks a friend to drive them everywhere because "I'm not very technical and I'm no good with cars lol".

THE FUCK? Does this person need someone else to wipe their bum if the toilet paper has unexpected pretty sea-shells printed on it? "Sorry I'm used to white toilet paper, I'm not very technical lol"
Old 12th September 2013, 16:58     #34640
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I call it being a fucking retard.

I've used this example before - it's like someone gets into a Euro car after driving an Asian car and finds that the windscreen-wiper and indicator handles are reversed, and then freaks out and asks a friend to drive them everywhere because "I'm not very technical and I'm no good with cars lol".

THE FUCK? Does this person need someone else to wipe their bum if the toilet paper has unexpected pretty sea-shells printed on it? "Sorry I'm used to white toilet paper, I'm not very technical lol"
one of these days i'll write a post about my flatmate, you will be dumbfounded.