Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16th September 2009, 12:24     #16601
Gentl e

muh

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
I've lived on Castle Street... Whangamata in 96 (also present).
That's almost every single riot in NZ over the last decade lol.

Herp: riot chaser

"there's a strong chance of a riot here, an epicentre is about to form.. gear up people!"

Last edited by Gentl e : 16th September 2009 at 12:25.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:36     #16602
Lightspeed

That is actually quite amusing.
Old 16th September 2009, 13:03     #16603
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
It's not agoraphobia to expect some level of civility within the student population.
You've obviously never been to Dunedin then.
Old 16th September 2009, 13:32     #16604
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

There's nothing wrong with Dunedin or Otago uni. Plenty of good minds have come from there. However, the Undie 500 attracts all the knuckle draggers that, apparently, require a baton to the face to behave. And that is just sad.
Old 16th September 2009, 13:41     #16605
Trigger
Laserman

nothing like a baton to the face to tell you who's boss
Old 16th September 2009, 13:52     #16606
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentl e
Herp: riot chaser
Does he chase them? Or does his mere presence cause them?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 16th September 2009, 13:53     #16607
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
The word 'riot' is being thrown about pretty easily around here without much thought to it..

I've been to the Undie 500 in Dunedin and I've lived on Castle Street, I've seen what happens down there. I believe this is just a massive media beat up from the start, so the cops got involved and that is where I believe the trouble all starts.

No bottles would have been thrown if the police didn't turn up in riot gear, form a line across the street, march everyone away and pepper spray everyone. What did they expect to happen, seriously? What ever happens when police turn up somewhere in riot gear and get aggressive - a riot starts (like Whangamata in 96 (also present)). Cops don't turn up in riot gear and politely ask people to turn away - they yell, chase, stick you with batons and spray shit in your face. I've seen police in riot gear whack 70 year old men and young children, there's no politeness when they are kitted up. Do you expect 18-20 year old students to just back down when intimidated like that?

As for couch burning, it's pretty much a tradition down there and "burning other peoples property" is only ever "burning our own property." It happens every weekend and you only ever burn your own couch. Being shocked at that really shows how ignorant some people are at what goes down there. There was a time where you couldn't even park your car on Castle St for fear of it being trashed.

I'm not condoning the people who threw the bottles - they should get what they deserve - but I'm not condoning the actions taken by the police either. It would have never happened if it was properly organised through official channels. I can't believe the amount of animosity in this forum from people wanting to ban it and crucify the students.

Personally, I think the event itself is awesome and it's hilarious to witness the Canterbury students go all out in their costumes and drive their made-up shitboxes through the streets. It puts the costumes at the Welly 7's to shame.

Anyways that's just my perspective from own experiences. I see both sides of the argument here but some grumpy people here seem to suffer from extreme agoraphobia. Probably the same people who complained when Auckland wanted to host the V8's.
Agree 100%. The Castle St Keg party sees waaaaaay more alcohol consumed than the Undie 500 but yet there are usually minimal issues.
Why? There's a couple of beat cops there throughout the day and you don''t get a bunch showing up later in riot gear. C'mon, 50 cops in riot gear in front of a large group of pissed testosterone fueled teens. Of course one of them is going to think "hrm...wonder how tough that riot gear really is. Fuckit, let's find out"
Notice how the problems only start once the police show in force?
Old 16th September 2009, 14:20     #16608
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
It's proactive
Old 16th September 2009, 15:06     #16609
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Notice how the problems only start with large groups of idiots and alcohol?
Old 16th September 2009, 16:21     #16610
Tranquil^

Notice how all the peeps who's youth was spent playing doom/quake (including myself) are down on the current generation who like to party?
Old 16th September 2009, 16:22     #16611
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

At 18/19, had I been hanging out in a large group and the police showed up in riot gear I'd have gotten the fuck out of there like a scared little boy. All this "riot police just end up provoking the youth" is a piss-poor excuse. Bad parenting leads to asshole teens.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:36     #16612
Lightspeed

Ah-HAH! The problem is that these ruffian teenagers were beaten as young children! Police with batons and pepper spray? Just parents with wooden spoons and teaspoons of mustard! They learned to cope as five year olds, so now they're desensitised!
Old 16th September 2009, 16:41     #16613
SickBo@Work

Quote:
What a load of shit, do you really think the Police have infinite resources to expend them all on causing a riot amongst poor innocent students doing nothing more than standing around a few fires singing kumbaya and holding hands?

That has to be the weakest most pathetic excuse out, if the Police just left us alone to block off streets, light fires in the middle of them and throw bottles at the firebrigade when they turn up then there wouldn't be a problem!
Old 16th September 2009, 16:44     #16614
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil^
Notice how all the peeps who's youth was spent playing doom/quake (including myself) are down on the current generation who like to party?
I don't think it's a generational thing - it's a student thing. Students always have and always will act like dipshits, for reasons which have already been explained here. Why does it end up in a riot in Dunedin and not Auckland? Nothing to do in Dunedin, plenty to do in Auckland.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:45     #16615
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBo@Work
What a load of shit, do you really think the Police have infinite resources to expend them all on causing a riot amongst poor innocent students doing nothing more than standing around a few fires singing kumbaya and holding hands?

That has to be the weakest most pathetic excuse out, if the Police just left us alone to block off streets, light fires in the middle of them and throw bottles at the firebrigade when they turn up then there wouldn't be a problem!
QFT
Old 16th September 2009, 18:35     #16616
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBo@Work

Read the first 2 lines of my post cuntnugget
Old 16th September 2009, 18:55     #16617
chiQ
Frag-muff

Car death in river of traffic GMG

Car missed a couple of times just after I got onto SH1, so I kept driving until the first safe place to pull off left, so I could hang a right and go back to the village. By then it was missing more, but firing more than missing, making me feel I could make it back fine. I pulled out into the merging lane in the middle of SH1 and it died completely. Dead car, rush-hour traffic, SH1, 100 k zone = shit.

The policeman who came and towed me rocked though

I must say that that is the last time I ever want to tailgate. It was nerve-wracking (to say the least) to be a couple of metres off another vehicle's bumper and he wasn't going terribly fast. Long tow-ropes for the win. I told the cop I was scared I'd go up his bum and he gave me an old-fashioned look.

Nice cop, and nice mechanic who sorted out my distributor cap, but BAD morning. I feel stink that I didn't ask their names now.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:18     #16618
Torka

ISP service status pages that are never updated until the outage is already over. What's the fucking point?
Old 17th September 2009, 00:22     #16619
[WanG] Wandarah

My boss, the manager of a technical team - forwarded to us today one of those - 'OMG CNN SAYZ THERE IS A BIG VIRUS COMIN WICH WILL BURN A WHOLE IN YOUR HARD DRIVE SO BIG U CAN SEE FROM THE MOONZ IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX ALARM ALARM OMG OMG' - emails that morons forward between each other.

She forwarded it as an 'FYI!'.

6 months to go, and I'm fucking gone.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:20     #16620
crocos

*snerk* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shouldn't be surprised by this; I've seen that before (and by someone quite high up the corporate foodchain too!) but MAN, what idiots.

Last edited by crocos : 17th September 2009 at 08:21.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:38     #16621
herp

The doctor in Slovenia saying hes not sure if he should operate on my (he said it was fractured) wrist and choosing not to. The doctor 2 weeks later in Berlin saying he should operate on my (now saying dislocated) wrist and choosing not too. 5 weeks later taking my cast off and having to get a third X-ray in London where there is a possibility that I'll need an operation and another 5-6 weeks in a cast because it hasn't healed - at all.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:00     #16622
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
ISP service status pages that are never updated until the outage is already over. What's the fucking point?
Xtreme networks, our work citylink provider, had a long outage yesterday. Their phones went down too cause they're all on VOIP! Lol cakes! morons

I guess the outage notification can be for people who later want to check and see "hey, wha happen?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
My boss, the manager of a technical team - forwarded to us today one of those - 'OMG CNN SAYZ THERE IS A BIG VIRUS COMIN WICH WILL BURN A WHOLE IN YOUR HARD DRIVE SO BIG U CAN SEE FROM THE MOONZ IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX ALARM ALARM OMG OMG' - emails that morons forward between each other.

uuuhh fuck that is some major facepalm material.
you need to call them a fucking moron and forward them a chain letter that says if they don't forward to 10 people their computer will catch on fire
Old 17th September 2009, 09:58     #16623
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah

6 months to go, and I'm fucking gone.
Reminds me of when I was the onsite tech for a computer OEM company, go an e-mail from one of our resellers (who are supposed to be tech savvy enough to support the end users they sell to) advising of a new virus that none of the AV programs can detect (ummm, what?) and if you find this certain file in your Windows directory then you have been infected and you should delete that file straight away.

Fuckin' c'mon - we hear about a virus that no anti-virus company is aware of? But it can simply be deleted manually?

Anyway I did a quick google with the name of the file that I'm supposed to delete, the search results feature one word more than any other - 'hoax', so I send an E-Mail back to this guy. I felt like telling him not to be such a sap, but just suggested that he does a search before forwarding on any such 'alerts' in the future.

WTF is wrong with people - they get an E-Mail forwarded to them and for some reason don't think it is possible that there could be any inaccuracy in the information?

That reminds me of the E-Mail that says 'true story' several times and 'can you believe it' a couple of times. You read through the little story and think "no, I can't believe it". Before making a fool of yourself you check with snopes then send back a reply saying "haha, good story - but completely made up". But you were forwarded a mail that was forwarded x 3 and you can see some comments from someone that had forwarded previously, like "the funny thing is that I DO believe it". Fucking gullible idiots that my friends know!
Old 17th September 2009, 10:42     #16624
Perfk
snakes & ladders

I seriously do not know why people insist on emailing their delivery address, rather than sending it through TM.
I hate these people.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:57     #16625
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
I seriously do not know why people insist on emailing their delivery address, rather than sending it through TM.
I hate these people.
Fucking aaaaa. Clowns.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:23     #16626
QWERTY?

GMG - if my apartment was 100m to the east, I could watch U2 play from my couch

GMG - not getting tickets to the U2 concert 100m away
Old 17th September 2009, 14:10     #16627
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
I hate these people.
I do both: Always through TM first though.

Old 17th September 2009, 15:09     #16628
chiQ
Frag-muff

Gear grinder: throat infection that's got all my glands up (feels like I'm coming down with mumps again), and is making me feel as sick as a dog.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:17     #16629
Reformed_Quint

Having to do two presentations on trenchless technolodgy.
So first, i have to figure out how to use Power Point.

*cries* I want to go back on holiday
Old 17th September 2009, 15:27     #16630
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Keynote, jabroni
Old 17th September 2009, 15:41     #16631
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Gear grinder: throat infection that's got all my glands up (feels like I'm coming down with mumps again), and is making me feel as sick as a dog.
You seem to be almost constantly sick.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:04     #16632
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Having to do two presentations on trenchless technolodgy.
So first, i have to figure out how to use Power Point.

*cries* I want to go back on holiday
I put together PowerPoint presentations for peeps. $100 an hour.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:52     #16633
A Corpse
talkative lurker

This kind of idiocy grinds my gears.

Quote:
A vaccine is all that stands between Simone Davis and U.S. citizenship.

But the 17-year-old English native refuses to receive the Gardasil human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine and objects to its inclusion in a list of vaccinations required for immigrants seeking to become U.S. citizens. It is designed to prevent cervical cancer.

“I don’t want to get that shot,” said Simone, a Port St. Joe High School senior. “They’d have to take me kicking and screaming.”

Simone, born in Colchester, England, and her grandmother, Jeannie Davis, believe the government is “blackmailing” immigrant girls and women by forcing all between the ages of 11 to 26 to receive a vaccine with known adverse effects and questionable long-term efficacy.

The Davises, both Christians, question the appropriateness of giving a vaccine for a sexually transmitted virus to young girls.

“Someone has to stand up and say, ‘This isn’t right. These girls are being forced,’” Jeannie Davis said.
How about, if you wanna move there, you deal with the requirements, or shut the fuck up and stay where you are?
Old 17th September 2009, 18:04     #16634
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
This kind of idiocy grinds my gears.

How about, if you wanna move there, you deal with the requirements, or shut the fuck up and stay where you are?
+1
I think there are enough stupid people in the US already, how would denying entry to this one hurt.
Old 17th September 2009, 18:12     #16635
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
I put together PowerPoint presentations for peeps. $100 an hour.
Luckily the companies overpaid IT d00ds have PP templates, now to just enter the data and pics and look like a powerpoint masta!
Old 17th September 2009, 20:52     #16636
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
You seem to be almost constantly sick.
I am. It's the secondary stuff that grinds my gears.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:58     #16637
Lightspeed

o_O

Sick? Or lazy?
Old 17th September 2009, 21:41     #16638
chiQ
Frag-muff

Was that mean to be amusing or clever in some way?
Old 17th September 2009, 22:21     #16639
flic
Dee Hast Mish

it grinds my gears that sickness is seen as laziness by some people

I guess that shows they have never truly been sick and use sickness as an excuse to sit around in their jammies and watch Oprah
Old 17th September 2009, 22:47     #16640
?>Superman

Lightspeed vs chiQ tbh