Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th September 2009, 22:44     #121
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Heaps and heaps better, or so I've been told. Hollywood remakes are usually shite, so when I first heard of Quarantine I just automatically went for the original instead. IMO the end of the original would be a lot more scarier, because in the original the virus is not made by the military but... ah I won't spoil it for you. But now you won't get the shock when you get to the end of [Rec].

I was really satisfied when the credits rolled, I hadn't been scared like this for a reaaaally long time.
I just checked out the very ending of [Rec] on Youtube and that part of the movie at least, is exactly what you see in Quarantine..but with different actors. So yeah, I don't know if they really changed anything other than make it more English-speaking friendly..
Old 8th September 2009, 23:23     #122
Asa

Bluewink

The Jacket ...

thought it was a feel-good movie =)
Old 8th September 2009, 23:39     #123
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
I just checked out the very ending of [Rec] on Youtube and that part of the movie at least, is exactly what you see in Quarantine..but with different actors. So yeah, I don't know if they really changed anything other than make it more English-speaking friendly..
Ah that clip missed the exposition bit earlier. In the original, the virus came from a possessed girl, suggesting the zombies are demons. The Vatican were studying her in the penthouse, and eventually decided to exorcise her, but not before she got out of control. IMO the supernatural angle made it a lot more creepy.

That reminds me to to watch the Exorcist again. YAY!
Old 9th September 2009, 00:02     #124
cryocore

Quote:
I haven't seen that, but have seen the remake Quarantine which was good. Is it the usual case of the original being heaps better?
[Horrorgeekhat] REC is far superior to Quarantine in alomst every way (Q has a better budget and that is seen onscreen but actually detracts from the "realism" they are trying to portray) REC is raw gritty, and actually gives you more info re the infection.. Vastly superior ( I did like Q... but its a carbon copy of REC minus some plot and adding some violence)[/horrorgeekhat]
Old 9th September 2009, 00:08     #125
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I was looking forward to Anticrhist (Lars von Trier does horror!), but the more I read about it, the more I don't want to see it. It just sounds disgusting.
Antichrist is amazing. Its a real von Trier piece though, and for that reason a lot of people wont like it. Its disturbing, graphic, and unconventional. I got the workprint version from my contacts at Artificial Eye. Dafoe is simply outstanding in this film... but you have to leave your morality at the door, and take it for what it is. Not since Martyrs have I been so disturbed by a movie.

check out Kingdom if you can find it. Awesome horror/fantasy tv show by von Trier. (Stephen King remade it as the inferior but still enjoyable Kingdom Hospital)

Last edited by cryocore : 9th September 2009 at 00:11.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:34     #126
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
Just finished Dead Snow. Awesome Nazi Zombie Flick.
One of the better recommendations in a while
I must checkout 'Kill Buljo: The Movie', now.
Old 9th September 2009, 23:27     #127
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
check out Kingdom if you can find it. Awesome horror/fantasy tv show by von Trier.
It looks interesting. Will try to hunt down the dvds to rent. The price on mightyape is a bit steep for about 8 hours of entertainment.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:45     #128
Helious

Thumbs up

Watched Waking Life last night, I can now see why it was recommended to me by a close friend. Interestingly unique and philosophical to say the least. Quite Odd for me on a personal level that I watched it now instead of when it was given to me some 2-4 years ago.. I remember trying to watch it when I first got it and I couldn't "get" it or simply wasn't in the right frame of mind to appreciate the concept/theme.

Will watch it again in the near future.
Old 13th September 2009, 18:25     #129
xin

Is Anybody There

Good film starring Michael Cain and that kid from Son of Rambow.
Old 13th September 2009, 18:33     #130
Lightspeed

Quote:
I just checked out the very ending of [Rec]
Humourous, alternative ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nv6W4sRus
Old 13th September 2009, 21:59     #131
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious

Will watch it again in the near future.
You mean: will watch it again once I score a decent psychedelic to accompany the viewing.

Fair enough too.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:15     #132
Omegakai

I am to lazy to read the other pages. but i just saw http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/ Knowing.
while it has some preachy elements to it i found the CGI just jaw dropping.

Acting of the leading lady was pretty piss poor for a otherwise great movie.
Would recommend for a night in.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:23     #133
Ajax
Architeuthis

Just watched 'Martyrs' Jeeeesus, some pretty fucked-up shit right there. Now on to the horrors of A'linterieur (Inside)...
Old 16th September 2009, 22:31     #134
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Humourous, alternative ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nv6W4sRus
Fuck that's poo bro. Surely there are better pootube parodies than that?
Old 16th September 2009, 22:44     #135
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Just watched 'Martyrs' Jeeeesus, some pretty fucked-up shit right there. Now on to the horrors of A'linterieur (Inside)...
Martyrs REALLY messed me up. Awesome film, but Jesus the never ending torture scene took me to the brink and then the skinning just took it that step further
Inside is almost as disturbing, but way more tense

Gotta love those Frenchies some of my all time fave horror flicks are French (Martyrs, and Inside included. Frontiers is ok) add:

High Tension
The Ordeal
Shaitan
Malefique
Old 16th September 2009, 22:58     #136
cryocore

Actually heres some more DVDs that I've watched recently that people should check out.

Grace New addition to the killer baby genre (ala Its Alive and its remake both of which are well worth checking out despite the low IMDb scores)
Taxidermia I have no words... just awesome.
Parasomnia
Frostbite Think Dead Snow only Vampires and not Nazi Zombies. Those wacky swedes/nords know thier horror comedies
Infestation Its the new 8 Legged Freaks... only funnier.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:07     #137
?>Superman

Devil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I've been waiting to watch this actually...i've heard good things (already preparing for furious disturbed-masty).
Old 17th September 2009, 00:21     #138
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
I've been waiting to watch this actually...i've heard good things (already preparing for furious disturbed-masty).
Hah.. you'd have to be a sick puppy to engage in masty behaviour after that film.. it's a fuckin' ordeal.
I need to watch a Pixar movie to cleanse my tortured soul.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:24     #139
?>Superman

lol duly noted.

you seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes?

It isn't too hardcore on the gore and some of acting done by the "FBI" personnel is shithouse at best...but the clips taken from the murder tapes make the movie imo.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:55     #140
Spink

taking of pelham 1-2-3 prob isn't threadworthy but anyone seen it and able to recommend/de-recommend it? Trying to decide between that, Up (in 3D!) and Sunshine Cleaning. Hell anyone seen Sunshine Cleaning and got a positive or negative recommendation about it =x

edit: to clarify basically not asking for a good/bad for pelham 1-2-3 it's probably bad in the general sense I'm more looking for a "Good for a denzel washington film" or "good for a travolta film" sorta answer, or bad for those types too.

Last edited by Spink : 17th September 2009 at 00:58.
Old 17th September 2009, 07:25     #141
crocos

I enjoyed Sunshine Cleaning; Quirky and warm. Some of the acting was a bit off though.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th September 2009, 08:57     #142
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
I am to lazy to read the other pages. but i just saw http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/ Knowing.
while it has some preachy elements to it i found the CGI just jaw dropping.

Acting of the leading lady was pretty piss poor for a otherwise great movie.
Would recommend for a night in.
That movie pissed me off. The ending was a real cop-out..kind of like an "aaah, it was all just a dream" kind of thing
Old 17th September 2009, 10:50     #143
^BITES^

Quote:
God that movie was shit..... cgi was ass looked like an add for the Media arts school.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 17th September 2009, 13:32     #144
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I enjoyed Sunshine Cleaning; Quirky and warm. Some of the acting was a bit off though.
Sunshine Cleaning was a kinda boring to me....like nothing much happens
/shrug

Old 17th September 2009, 13:39     #145
crocos

I will admit to being mildly intoxicated when I saw it.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th September 2009, 00:43     #146
cryocore

Well Just came off another double feature... and well I need a hug, but aparently my taste in movies means no love for me tonight

Anyways

Eden Lake trailer. Brutal, tense, compelling, terrific. Be warned NOT a date movie (apparently).

Deadgirl trailer. What would you do if you found a hot, naked, living dead chick wrapped in plastic in an abandoned hospital basement? Hopefully not what these guy do. This and Teeth also make one hell of a double feature (also not gonna get you any action though). Men in these films are not painted in the best of lights.

Last edited by cryocore : 20th September 2009 at 00:48.
Old 20th September 2009, 01:25     #147
herp

Away We Go was awesome, Krasinski is hilarious. Definately recommended.
Ice Age 3 was average.
Crank 2 was hilariously bad but it knew it.
Observe and Report had a few good moments, otherwise Seth Rogan is just cashing cheques while his name is still out there.
I Love You Man was only saved because of Jason Segel, Judds character was annoying - slappin da bass.
The Soloist was meh, I never really believed Downeys motivation was selfless, Foxx was exceptional in it.
Stopped watching Lymelife after 15 minutes, but will give it another go.
Old 20th September 2009, 02:21     #148
MoP

Saw Deadgirl at the Melbourne Unusual Film Festival (MUFF) last year, with a female friend. Luckily it wasn't a date

Good though
Old 20th September 2009, 19:51     #149
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Antichrist is amazing. Its a real von Trier piece though, and for that reason a lot of people wont like it. Its disturbing, graphic, and unconventional. I got the workprint version from my contacts at Artificial Eye. Dafoe is simply outstanding in this film... but you have to leave your morality at the door, and take it for what it is. Not since Martyrs have I been so disturbed by a movie.
Well, I watched Antichrist last night. I loved the way they shot the prologue, as sad as the subject matter was.. but way better than if it was done in the "regular way". The movie in general was certainly different, and felt very depressing.. Definitely not the sort of movie that any of my girlfriends would like at all. I quite enjoyed it though, although lots of wtf? moments.

Also, I couldn't help but wonder Did he use a stunt cock? and Talking fox made me giggle
Old 20th September 2009, 20:54     #150
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
The Machine Girl.(japanese) trailer
Seriously warped
watched this today. was awesome
Old 20th September 2009, 22:27     #151
Helious

^^^ just read the plot summary, ho-ly. will watch asap! sounds awesome

Plot Summary from IMDb -- little bits may spoil
Ami is a typical college girl. She's bright, friendly, popular and athletic, with nothing to set her apart from other girls her age other than the fact that she is an orphan, left to care for her younger brother after her father committed suicide after being falsely accused of murder. But while there is tragedy in their past, the siblings' future looks good, except for one thing. Ami's brother has racked up a considerable debt to another boy at school, and that boy just happens to be the heir to a clan of vicious ninja-yakuza. Ami's brother can't pay, violence breaks out and in the course of trying to avenge her brother, Ami is captured by the clan. They torture her and hack her arm right off. Ami escapes, barely alive, and is taken in by the owners of a machine shop who build her a customized, bullet-spewing arm. From that point, the quest for revenge is on in earnest.

Last edited by Helious : 20th September 2009 at 22:28.
Old 20th September 2009, 22:35     #152
Helious

There's a new DC animated movie out. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398941/

I really get into my DC animation, i think they're really well done

edit: Wonder Woman http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186373/ and Green Lantern http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1384590/ were real good imo, both released this year too.

They're all PG13, so no sissy shit

Last edited by Helious : 20th September 2009 at 22:39.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:34     #153
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
taking of pelham 1-2-3 prob isn't threadworthy but anyone seen it and able to recommend/de-recommend it?
Saw it yesterday. A predictable cheese laden film that has some good 1 liners from John Travolta in it, and a few cool director shots along the way. Were it not for Denzel and Travolta (i.e. Training Day vs Face Off), it would have been pretty awful.

Final quote by Travolta at the end epitomizes the cheese. Had to laugh out loud when he said it.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:28     #154
Rocket

http://www.watch-movies-links.net/mo...e_hurt_locker/

kept my attention. good view into the day in the life of a bomb technician in iraq
Old 5th October 2009, 18:50     #155
Helious

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is Toy Story doing at #3? Did they re-release it? I haven't bothered to investigate. Someone FILL me in, or my missus.

Old 5th October 2009, 19:08     #156
_Incubus_

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is Toy Story doing at #3? Did they re-release it? I haven't bothered to investigate. Someone FILL me in, or my missus.
Its in 3D
Old 5th October 2009, 21:20     #157
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Exclamation

You clicked on "Love happens" but not on "Capitalism: a love story"? COMMUNIST!
Old 5th October 2009, 21:52     #158
Helious

hah! ;p I usually check out the top 5 or so, unless the title intrigues me. Love Happens grossed quite well the week before. That's the only reason, honest. You're looking at history! Toy Story was the only one in that list I clicked on this week. edit: and Zombieland <--- surprised I hadn't heard of this tbh. It's right up my alley.

Last edited by Helious : 5th October 2009 at 21:54.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:18     #159
herp

Quote:
Zombieland <--- surprised I hadn't heard of this tbh. It's right up my alley.
Great Zombie comedy Is there anything you regret?...Maybe Garfield
Old 9th October 2009, 15:03     #160
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP
Saw Deadgirl at the Melbourne Unusual Film Festival (MUFF) last year, with a female friend. Luckily it wasn't a date

Good though
Deadgirl sounds pretty damn warped. Might have to see it!

Last edited by Cyberbob : 9th October 2009 at 15:04.