NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 27th April 2007, 21:13     #1
VERT

Digital video cameras

Will be looking for a digital video camera soon, looking to buy 2nd hand and wanting to spend around 200-$300. Wanting something fairly portable with a good optical zoom and hard wearing. What do you guys recomend I could get model wise for around that price 2nd hand? Unfortunatly I dont know anything about them, so i'm looking at this as a place to start.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:19     #2
VERT

Also wanting something that has no troubles with capturing objects moving up to 60kms and good modes for filming in poor light
Old 27th April 2007, 22:57     #3
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Can't say I've looked myself but I wouldn't have thought that $300 would get you much. Would love to be wrong though.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:22     #4
lektronimo

I got a Sony mini DV that is pretty good, and keen to get rid of. Has firewire port, usb (for transfering stills), mem stick slot and does decent 1mpx stills (better then 1.3mpx camera phones IMO). Compact, but not one of those bubbly models that are current now. I'm pretty sure I have the box for it, manuals and all that stuff except for the memory stick. Off top of my head, it has 12x optical zoom and the model is CCD-TRV25E with Zeiss optics. Works fine, but I dont use it at all since I started photography, and have no need for video.

edit, it has Night Shot as well so you can record in zero light with the green blair witch tint. Cool.

Last edited by lektronimo : 28th April 2007 at 00:23.
Old 28th April 2007, 11:19     #5
Jodi

If I was looking for a video camera I would do the following

-native widcreen (ie the sensor is widescreen)
-good OPTICAL zoom (I hate digital zoom, and the marketing dept that made it up)
-image stabilisation

and of course

-good optics and sensors as well.
Old 28th April 2007, 16:50     #6
VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
If I was looking for a video camera I would do the following

-native widcreen (ie the sensor is widescreen)
-good OPTICAL zoom (I hate digital zoom, and the marketing dept that made it up)
-image stabilisation

and of course

-good optics and sensors as well.

Sounds good, any recomendations?

Any good video camera review sites out there?
Old 28th April 2007, 19:03     #7
lektronimo

So not interested in my Sony? I'm asking so I can put it on trademe soon.
Old 28th April 2007, 20:12     #8
VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo

you didn't say how much you wanted for it and I could not find that model on the internet, have you got anymore info on it? Seen it reviewed on any websites?
Old 28th April 2007, 20:19     #9
VERT

your camera is not a dcr-TRV25E? I could find that one on the net

how old is yours how much use? what condition? is it complete?
Old 29th April 2007, 01:58     #10
P-Money

Quote:
I'm interested...
Old 29th April 2007, 11:40     #11
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERT
you didn't say how much you wanted for it and I could not find that model on the internet, have you got anymore info on it? Seen it reviewed on any websites?
I wish I had reviews on it man, but its couple of years old. It was out around the time when first MiniDV consumer cameras came on the market making it around 5 years old (so expensive then, paid $2200 new!). Having said that, it was hardly used and if you notice most entry level MiniDV cameras have more or less same features - ie. nothing obsolent about MiniDV cameras. I will put a picture of it, or if you live in Aucks come by and inspect it (or anyone interested for that matter). So any offers from $350 would be sweet.
Old 29th April 2007, 21:39     #12
VERT

Quote:
I wish I had reviews on it man, but its couple of years old. It was out around the time when first MiniDV consumer cameras came on the market making it around 5 years old (so expensive then, paid $2200 new!). Having said that, it was hardly used and if you notice most entry level MiniDV cameras have more or less same features - ie. nothing obsolent about MiniDV cameras. I will put a picture of it, or if you live in Aucks come by and inspect it (or anyone interested for that matter). So any offers from $350 would be sweet.
Looks like the sort of thing im after, I will think about your price, saw one on Trademe go for just under $300