Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 5th September 2018, 12:59     #4481
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
To recap: Someone leaked the information that Bridges' travel expenses for the March quarter were $113,973 - which as the leader of the party accusing the Government of waste seemed excessive.
Now that Jacinda has put an $80,000 single return flight on the taxpayer’s tab I presume we’re all going to forget about travel expenses?
Old 5th September 2018, 14:52     #4482
Lightspeed

You mean the Prime Minister?
Old 5th September 2018, 15:17     #4483
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah pretty sure her name is Jacinda
Old 5th September 2018, 16:07     #4484
fixed_truth

That's the cost of her doing her job while being a mother with a baby under 3-months. I don't even think that Bridges or National have criticised her.
Old 5th September 2018, 16:32     #4485
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whoosh
Old 5th September 2018, 16:32     #4486
CCS
Stunt Pants

What's her baby got to do with this?
Old 5th September 2018, 17:17     #4487
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah pretty sure her name is Jacinda
Doesn't quite carry the same gravitas though, does it? Comparing the spending of Jacinda and Simon isn't the same as comparing the spending of the Prime Minister and the not Prime Minister.
Old 5th September 2018, 17:45     #4488
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What's her baby got to do with this?
The Govt. hold the view that it was important for our PM to attend the forum. For our PM to attend she needed to go separately because of the age of her baby.

Politically this spin from the usual old white men is less damaging than her not going at all and being labelled not able to do her job hence why woman.
Old 5th September 2018, 17:53     #4489
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Doesn't quite carry the same gravitas though, does it?
About the same as Winston. Slightly more than Bill or John, but with John, you had to specify the Key. Helen was just Aunty. Jenny was The Ship that the teenage Channel Z listening me wanted to sink.
Those older than me can comment on Jim and Mike.
Old 5th September 2018, 18:10     #4490
Lightspeed

I think the context matters. How did we get onto the topic of travel expenses anyway? Oh that's right, a National MP leaked an expense report.
Old 5th September 2018, 18:13     #4491
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I must have been too snarky. Clarification:

I do not give a shit how much it costs to send Jacinda, aka the PM, to Nauru. I similarly do not care how much it costs to send Simon, aka the Leader of the Opposition, around the country doing his job. Travel is part of the gig. I also don't give a shit if it's more hassle or more expensive to accommodate Neve's presence.

TBH what concerns me is that Jacinda, aka the PM, appears to not trust Winston, aka the Foreign Minister, to represent the Government or the country to her satisfaction without her personal supervision. Hence return Air Force plane flight to Nauru for one person.
Old 5th September 2018, 20:35     #4492
Lightspeed

Yeah, things haven't seemed great between the two recently. And things went so well while Ardern was on leave.

But maybe it was just some other important business that needed attending?
Old 5th September 2018, 21:37     #4493
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

*shouts* Travel expenses!

*whispers* Failed IT projects...
Old 5th September 2018, 22:59     #4494
Lightspeed

Laugh

So true.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:14     #4495
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
TBH what concerns me is that Jacinda, aka the PM, appears to not trust Winston
Like when he blindsides her around the refugee numbers.
Old 6th September 2018, 17:16     #4496
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

newshub:

Quote:
The Prime Minister appears to have caved into Winston Peters over the Government’s pledge to increase the refugee quota – putting the plan to take an extra 500 every year in jeopardy.

That’s despite the government already funding two new accommodation blocks to house them.

Ms Ardern arrived in Nauru to an environment of confusion over her Government’s refugee policy, courtesy of Winston Peters.

“We’ve always been very clear that the things that both NZ First party, Greens and Labour have formed commitment around sit within the confidence and supply agreement, the Coalition agreement, everything else – we go through a process of elimination,” Ardern told reporters.

Since being elected, the Immigration Minister has consistently said he’ll raise the quota in this term of Government.

The Government even made a cash commitment to the quota, spending $14 million in this year’s budget to support two new accommodation blocks at the Mangere Refugee Centre to support the increase in the refugee quota to 1500 a year.

But on Monday, Mr Peters turned that on its head.

“We never made a commitment to double the refugee quota,” he said.

The Prime Minister appears to have caved to Winston Peters, throwing her immigration minister Iain Lees Galloway under the bus.
Old 6th September 2018, 18:11     #4497
Lightspeed

Grim. With Curran and Whaitiri making dicks of themselves, the coalition government isn't looking pretty right now.
Old 7th September 2018, 08:35     #4498
The Edge

Curran just needs to go, really.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:14     #4499
Juju
get to da choppa

"putting the plan to take an extra 500 every year in jeopardy."
"increase in the refugee quota to 1500 a year."
"to double the refugee quota"

Something isn't adding up here...
Old 7th September 2018, 11:25     #4500
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Curran just needs to go, really.
Honestly that was the case when Labour was still in opposition. Dangerously clueless and criminally incompetent.

It's worse than asking me to do your taxes, and I suck at that.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 7th September 2018 at 11:26.
Old 7th September 2018, 12:10     #4501
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
"putting the plan to take an extra 500 every year in jeopardy."
"increase in the refugee quota to 1500 a year."
"to double the refugee quota"

Something isn't adding up here...
I believe it is something like this
We currently have a quota of 750.
There was an agreement to move that up to 1000, but Labour want it to 1500.
So the 250 is happening, the 500 is in jeopardy
Old 8th September 2018, 23:01     #4502
Lightspeed

Greens want a mandatory rental WOF, but National says it will force people into sleeping in cars

If National knows so much, why are people currently forced to sleep in cars?

Quote:
Judith Collins said the Greens need to start thinking about the impacts of vague feel-good policies and stop loading the costs onto New Zealand families.

"Most landlords are mums and dads who are doing their best for their tenants. If it becomes too expensive to lease accommodation, then they're likely to sell up, reducing the supply of rental housing," said Collins.
Filthy tenants wanting to feel-good in their homes. Poor landlords are just trying to look out for us.
Old 8th September 2018, 23:58     #4503
BoyWonder

I'm all for a standards based approach. There really is no reason why a rental property should not be fully insulated in 2018 when the work required has already been subsidised. If a building is faulty e.g. the roof leaks then it is not fit for purpose and the landlord must rectify this.

The problem is this will come along as a wish list instead, like every bedroom must have a means of heating provided. This is something the tenant can do if it is necessary but if it means the landlord has to put a heat pump in each bedroom then guess who is going to end up paying for it.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:53     #4504
crocos

Quote:
then they're likely to sell up, reducing the supply of rental housing
Apparently housing vanishes when you sell it.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th September 2018, 13:21     #4505
CCS
Stunt Pants

Of course not. It goes back on the market and who do you think buys it?
Old 11th September 2018, 14:01     #4506
Nich

Labour, so they can house all the homeless in time for Winter...
Old 11th September 2018, 15:46     #4507
blynk

Who buys it;
- Someone that was renting and moves into it
- Someone that already owns property, fixes the issues and rents it
- Someone that will tear it down and subdivide it to make multiple properties to rent.

The most unlikely buyers are
- Someone that buys it as a second home just to live in a few times a year
- Someone that buys it to leave it empty just for capital gains
Old 11th September 2018, 17:52     #4508
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Who buys it;
- Someone that was renting and moves into it

Unlikely, unless it magically becomes an 'affordable' house.

Quote:
- Someone that already owns property, fixes the issues and rents it

You mean a property speculator? No, Labour hates them. Labour hates landlords. Labour hates landed gentry.

Quote:
- Someone that will tear it down and subdivide it to make multiple properties to rent.

Perhaps. But the land has to be big enough for that to begin with, and it has to be zoned for such.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:30     #4509
blynk

So you believe that someone will buy it just to land bank it.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:37     #4510
fixed_truth

I too am interested in what CCS thinks will happen to a rental that goes on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder
then guess who is going to end up paying for it.
True, though the health & wellbeing, productivity etc benefits would be amazing.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:54     #4511
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
So you believe that someone will buy it just to land bank it.
I didn't say that. Thanks, Cathy Newman

When it comes to rental properties, Labour is concerned about poor people who will never have enough money to own their own home. These people absolutely rely on there being enough houses available to rent, otherwise they have to live somewhere other than a house. Like a car, or a bus stop or a yurt. If there are fewer rental properties for the same number of renters (or worse - an increasing number of renters) then demand goes up and with that, up goes rent. That's not good for lifelong renters because they are on a low income which won't necessarily go up at the same rate of rental increases.

If a new buyer buys a rental property and continues to rent it out at about the same amount - cool, no change to the supply of rental properties. So the situation is no better or worse. But remember that Labour hates landlords.

But Judith Collin's position (and bear in mind that I'm not saying this is my position) is that Labour's policies will make it uneconomical or unattractive for people to be landlords. So when Ma and Pa Landlord sell their rental property, Judith is saying that it won't necessarily be bought by another person looking to become a landlord as an investment.

So if the house is not being bought by a landlord, who buys it? Potentially someone who intends to live in it. Which is fine. But before you lean back and feel smugly content, keep in mind that this property is still going to be sold at market rates. Which at this time are deemed 'unaffordable'. The house will still get sold - don't you worry about that. But it won't do anything to make the housing make more affordable. And the more unaffordable the housing market, the more people will stay living lifelong in rental properties. And what do rental properties need? Landlords!
Old 11th September 2018, 19:18     #4512
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
But Judith Collin's position (and bear in mind that I'm not saying this is my position) is that Labour's policies will make it uneconomical or unattractive for people to be landlords. So when Ma and Pa Landlord sell their rental property, Judith is saying that it won't necessarily be bought by another person looking to become a landlord as an investment.

So if the house is not being bought by a landlord, who buys it? Potentially someone who intends to live in it.
Wouldn't these people who intend to live in it be either moving out of a rental or people coming from another house which also goes back on the market?
Old 11th September 2018, 19:37     #4513
Lightspeed

Judith Collins is right. We need to implement additional pressures on property ownership, so that in balance it's much more economical to own the home you live in than it is to own rental properties, or worse an empty house.

For instance increasing the housing supply substantially, minimum standards, taxation. So like, if you're growing your equity via property you need to work for that money a little more, and if you're buying your first home, you've got a bit more purchasing power.

Perhaps the big problem right now is the politics of all those who still imagine they might ride that gravy train.
Old 11th September 2018, 19:47     #4514
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Wouldn't these people who intend to live in it be either moving out of a rental or people coming from another house which also goes back on the market?

You need to take that into account with everything else I said ^^^
Old 11th September 2018, 20:41     #4515
MadMax
Stuff

The rental market is already beyond fucked in Auckland - if you're a family with kids chances are the house will be sold from underneath you and you'll be forced to move your kids to new school(s) due to zoning. If you need to change schools you might as well take the opportunity to move out of Auckland.

Landlords are already wising up and pricing their rentals out of reach of the unsavory. Hell, being forced to improve the standard of rentals does this anyway.

I know landlords that have specifically targeted their rentals for the feel good social aid factor (via certain trusts) only to be bitten once and gone fuck that here's my big finger and GTFO. Then someone wonders why they're living on the street.

I do rather love the irony of Labour who's all for beneficiary's that require rentals but are so against landlords.

https://www.labour.org.nz/renters

I fail to see how pushing out landlords will suddenly provide a home for a beneficiary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Yes, but population growth.

Last edited by MadMax : 11th September 2018 at 20:43.
Old 11th September 2018, 21:44     #4516
fixed_truth

^Yes, demand is very high, but I'm interested in Judith's claim that somehow a sale of a rental back into the market results in less supply.
Old 11th September 2018, 22:24     #4517
CCS
Stunt Pants

^ You haven't read anything here, have you?
Old 11th September 2018, 23:01     #4518
fixed_truth

Yep your waffle hasn't answered the question.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:23     #4519
fixed_truth

It's that week again

Quote:
As a society and particularly within our education system, we need to put more effort into explaining to people the benefits of learning other languages and te reo Māori in particular.
To make Te Reo part of the primary/intermediate curriculum is important to consider at least. Atm the conversation is stuck at ‘will it get me a job’? One often overlooked consideration is the potential wider societal benefits of people having greater cultural knowledge ie improving how non-Maori view Maori and how Maori view themselves. With white privilege, media bias and generational poverty for example it’s often communicated that to be Maori is a bad thing which drives people’s views and how they act and participate in society. A more objective and positive frame of reference to counter this could be very beneficial for individuals and wider societal outcomes.
Old 12th September 2018, 12:47     #4520
Nich

But the whole school system and curriculum doesn't guarantee a job except that the student is signalling to the society and potential employers "I can apply myself for years to something I'm not really interested in.". And now Google, Netflix, Facebook, et al have changed the paradigm to "Fuck your 20 years service and a generous pension, all your loyalty means nothing if you aren't adding value." . The job market has evolved and the education system blinked.

Ignoring the cultural enrichment angle for a bit (which I think is a fast way to stop the debate in its tracks), I would argue that speaking another language makes you more employable in today's and tomorrow's job market as only a human can scratch the itch of a job market that requires empathy, communication, and community bonding. A natural speaker of rare languages will be a thing of beauty.

That may be laughable, but when the penny drops on automation and AI, we're going to question why we shouldn't use Amazon Web Service AI to design and build stuff, perform surgery, generate proposals, organise schedules, send emails, do our accounts, pay our taxes and do just about everything. So what is left for humans to do except be as human as we can be? All the empathy, humour, emotions, and gooey ape stuff will be more valued as a society.

Something like this has to happen, I don't think it's Malthusian of me to say that actual paying jobs will become a rare thing in the near future. No amount of education will get you one of those jobs. You will need to be the best of the best of the best to find your niche and get to work. And if you don't find your niche, let's just hope there is some kind of subsidy for the cost of living that let's you live a happy moderate life and gives you plenty of opportunities to find a hobby and occupy the remaining time of your useless existence.