Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd July 2008, 09:25     #1
Mokoro

Truckies plan downtown gridlock over road charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzherald
Angry truckies are planning to choke Auckland and other city centres with their trucks tomorrow morning in protest against a sudden increase in road-user charges on diesel vehicles.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10519715

Fucken good on them I say. Sif trucks aren't already expensive enough to operate. Better leave early(er) for work tomorrow you jaffas!
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:36     #2
StN
I have detailed files

What's worse is that they had an assurance from the Transport Minister that they would be notified of any increases a month in advance. Instead, it gets sprung as a surprise, on the same day the Govt buys back the rail - ie kicking them when they are down.

Wonder how many truckies will vote Labour in a couple of months...
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:20     #3
FaTBoB

how much is the increase in road user charges and what impact will it have on transport costs?

No facts in the herald, just a lot of anti-labour propaganda leading up to an election.

Trucking good around the country has got to be the most inefficent and costly method out, plus the increased conjestion on the roads, not to mention fatalities

Return to rail for nationwide distribution with smaller trucks transporting short distances, it's logical.

NZ councils, governments and media sold us out to the big oil companies long ago and now that oil is running out they want to postpone any move away from filling their pockets,
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:20     #4
BadNova

fuck yeah, go truckies
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:39     #5
ZoSo

Apparently Annette King and the trucking rep. had a good dustup on the radio this morning, so I doubt there'll be much of a backdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
What's worse is that they had an assurance from the Transport Minister that they would be notified of any increases a month in advance. Instead, it gets sprung as a surprise, on the same day the Govt buys back the rail - ie kicking them when they are down.
Yeah dodgy as.
Fucking alch up 5% as well!
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:41     #6
DRa1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTBoB
how much is the increase in road user charges and what impact will it have on transport costs?

No facts in the herald, just a lot of anti-labour propaganda leading up to an election.

Trucking good around the country has got to be the most inefficent and costly method out, plus the increased conjestion on the roads, not to mention fatalities

Return to rail for nationwide distribution with smaller trucks transporting short distances, it's logical.

NZ councils, governments and media sold us out to the big oil companies long ago and now that oil is running out they want to postpone any move away from filling their pockets,
you really are stupid

nz rail is shit, thats why it failed. end of shut the fuck up
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:43     #7
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Herald
* They are protesting against rises in road-user charges which they say will average about 7.5 per cent but will rise as high as 15 per cent for courier firms.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Herald
* They are protesting against rises in road-user charges which they say will average about 7.5 per cent but will rise as high as 15 per cent for courier firms.

Last edited by StN : 3rd July 2008 at 10:44.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:49     #8
NT_VlaD

All Diesel vehicle road user charges are a bit dodgy,including the car ruc's.
Most small diesel utes are about 50% dearer to register than the same size car.
My Rodeo is $300 a yr to register and my cars are usually about $200, theres a lot more acc and other bs tax on my ute but Im not 50% more likely to have an accident in my ute than say one of my cars.I somehow doubt its more likely to burst into flames and do lots more damage than a petrol car....

I think most of the rego stuff is left over from yrs ago when basically all diesels on the road were trucks, and the government has adopted the "why alter it we are getting lots of free money" therory.

RUC's
Im not aware of anyother country that has a separate tax on diesel, it should be on the pump anyway ....

Im pretty sure the new ruc's only apply to trucks over 3 ton ?
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:50     #9
FaTBoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRa1N
you really are stupid

Nz rail was making a profit when it was sold off,

STN: "they say" isn't a fact.

Research conducted for the Road Transport Forum indicates that road user charges for vehicles over six tonnes make up on average 10 per cent of transport operators’ direct costs. This would mean that an 11per cent increase in road user charges would have an approximately 1 per cent increase in total operating costs. Therefore, these increases to road user charges are not likely to result in significant increases to freight cartage rates.

Last edited by FaTBoB : 3rd July 2008 at 10:54.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:57     #10
FaTBoB

#same "Road Transport Forum" the herald quotes as saying "couldn't come at a worse time".. selective quoting, not very balanced reporting is it.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:01     #11
JP

One thing i'd like to know, is if the Herald has become a crock of shit recently. Or has it always been this fucked up and bias? I've noticed how blatently bias it is over the past few years. But before then I didn't really notice, but I wasn't really thinking about it.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:07     #12
blynk

I think its become worse over this last election cycle.

Did they not say that the last time they raised the RUC was 17-20 years ago. So they have had it pretty good. You should expect most things to go up with inflation. So at 17 years at 2% = 34% (and thats on the small side), so no complaints.
(edit, this may not be true. There may have at least been one last year and may be more)

Obviously not giving them notice when they said they would is a problem

Last edited by blynk : 3rd July 2008 at 11:12.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:36     #13
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

blynk, its more like 2% per year, compound. not sure how much that works out to be, but sounds like a lot. just correcting you
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:39     #14
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I think its become worse over this last election cycle.

they (NZ Herald Staff) didnt get the tax cuts they wanted, id wager

Old 3rd July 2008, 11:46     #15
StN
I have detailed files

Cunning

Something I'd heard that the older chaps might be able to confirm...

Back before Carless days, there was supposedly a facility for getting back the RUC on normal petrol if you were going to use it for something other than a road vehicle - ie lawnmower, chainsaw, dunebuggy, farm vehicles etc

When Carless days were abolished, they didn't reinstate this facility. So to this end, the government has been taxing fuel incorrectly ever since Muldoon.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:52     #16
caffiend

Old 3rd July 2008, 13:04     #17
Gentl e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
One thing i'd like to know, is if the Herald has become a crock of shit recently. Or has it always been this fucked up and bias? I've noticed how blatently bias it is over the past few years. But before then I didn't really notice, but I wasn't really thinking about it.
It ah, might actually have to do with Labour being power - you know, the policy makers and therefore the people readers are most likely to be interested in.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:48     #18
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
blynk, its more like 2% per year, compound. not sure how much that works out to be, but sounds like a lot. just correcting you
Yeah, I didn't bother about the compounding amount.
So at 2%, it would end up at about 40% with compounding.

I have a big concern is that a lot more people are become Anti current government (like in Oz), and all of a sudden National is going to get in by a landslide. Then a couple months down the track, we will start to see how bad National is.
However I do believe that the Labour government can't stay in another term, unless they have a major cull at the top, and get rid off about half of their top of list members.

I will probably be voting for a minor party this year, to balance out Nationals governing.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:03     #19
Fitz

That's half the problem with the current government though blynk, they have to ball cradle the small parties and pass rediculous shit just to get their own bills passed. If National get in alone they will have a chance of making some ground, if they have to get the support of the fairy green bitch and the WINZ party bitch at every turn then were fucked again
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:20     #20
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

one mans ridiculous shit is another mans important issue tbh.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:31     #21
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
That's half the problem with the current government though blynk, they have to ball cradle the small parties and pass rediculous shit just to get their own bills passed. If National get in alone they will have a chance of making some ground, if they have to get the support of the fairy green bitch and the WINZ party bitch at every turn then were fucked again
But I don't want National to govern alone.
I don't want them to be able to just say, this is happening, and its done. I don't want privatisation, or cutting services to pay for tax cuts etc.

Sure, sometimes thats a good thing to govern alone. Most times its probably not. Imagine the crap Labour could have done this term if they were a majority.
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:14     #22
crocos

Will be hitting the (04) as follows:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release.html?id=4076

Trucks leaving from Seaview and Paekakariki at 07:00, going through The Terrace / Terrace Tunnel, onto Vivian St, onto Taranaki St, down the Quays, then up Whitmore St to Parliment, and from there "dispersing" (eg scattering everywhere making it even harder to navigate through town)

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:14     #23
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

good point blynk. we all see the shit that their 2.1 sided system in the states does them. 4-8 years of veto'd crap. id say if more people cared about the independant candidates, some of whom are excellent potential presidents, it wouldnt be such a fucked up place.
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:15     #24
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Vote Ralph Nadir!

Old 3rd July 2008, 15:18     #25
cEvin
Love In Vein

good opportunity for some fatties to walk to work.
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:21     #26
crocos

Watch it skinny, or I'll sit on you!

Old 3rd July 2008, 15:56     #27
buckies

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRa1N
you really are stupid

Nice attempt at a flame you knob. FaTBoB's rebuttal totally quashed any hopes you had of him not being able to back his initial post up.

I guess you'll avoid returning for another post so that you don't advertise your stupidity further, with the vain hope that members will forget about your flame tactics in other threads that you seek to denigrate with your "contributions".
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:11     #28
badassmofo

What I don't understand is why we're trying to penalise those that use diesel at the moment, shouldn't we be trying to encourage it?
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:56     #29
crocos

Routes for all effected areas:
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/425823/1887111

Old 3rd July 2008, 16:58     #30
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
Nice attempt at a flame you knob. FaTBoB's rebuttal totally quashed any hopes you had of him not being able to back his initial post up.

I guess you'll avoid returning for another post so that you don't advertise your stupidity further, with the vain hope that members will forget about your flame tactics in other threads that you seek to denigrate with your "contributions".
Wooooooooaaaaaaah

woah

....O_O
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:01     #31
crocos

PS: I also have the phone-numbers for the organisers if anyone's interested - email me off-forum

Old 3rd July 2008, 17:12     #32
cEvin
Love In Vein

why?

"fuck u faggots lol!!! pics or it didnt happen *click*"
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:19     #33
crocos

Well, if you really insist, yeah, why not? Just remember anything abusive IS legally actionable.

Old 3rd July 2008, 17:25     #34
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Well, if you really insist, yeah, why not? Just remember anything abusive IS legally actionable.
fuck that - I'll just use a random phone in a random meeting room at work......
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:47     #35
Ard Righ

Hmm, VOIP call bomb to the organiser's cellphone?

jk
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:20     #36
Havs

Im sitting in Wellington airport Koru Lounge ... surrounded by around 20 MP's ... they are are and have been, cracking jokes about the truckies for the last 30 minutes.

Cocks.
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:32     #37
StN
I have detailed files

C.W. McCall owns me...

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck
You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Uh, yeah 10-4 Pig Pen, fer sure, fer sure
By golly it's clean clear to Flag-Town, C'mon

Uh, yeah, that's a big 10-4 Pig-Pen,
Yeah, we definitely got us the front door good buddy,
Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy

Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth, pullin' logs
Cabover Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We 'as headin' fer bear on I-One-Oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky-Town
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
An' I'm about to put the hammer on down

Cause we gotta little ol' convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta little ol' convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way
We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the USA
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, breaker Pig-Pen, this here's The Duck
Uh, you wanna back off them hogs
10-4, 'bout five mile or so, 10-roger
Them hogs is gittin' in-tense up here

By the time we got into Tulsa-Town
We had eighty-five trucks in all
But they's a road block up on the clover leaf
An' them bears 'as wall to wall
Yeah them smokies 'as thick as bugs on a bumper
They even had a bear-in-the-air
I sez callin' all trucks, this here's The Duck
We about to go a huntin' bear

Cause we gotta great big convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta great big convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, you wanna give me a 10-9 on that Pig-Pen?
Uh, negatory Pig-Pen, yer still too close
Yeah, them hogs is startin' close up my sinuses
Mercy sakes, you better back off another ten

Well we rolled up interstate fourty-four
Like a rocket sled on rails
We tore up all a our swindle sheets
An' left 'em settin' on the scales
By the time we hit that Chi-Town
Them bears was a gittin' smart
They'd brought up some reinforcements
From the Illinois National Guard
There 'as armored cars, and tanks, and Jeeps
An' rigs of every size
Yeah them chicken coops 'as full a bears
An' choppers filled the skies
Well we shot the line, an' we went for broke
With a thousand screamin' trucks
And eleven long-haired friends of Jesus
In a chartreusse microbus

Hey Sod Buster, listen
You wanna put that microbus in behind the suicide jockey?
Yeah, he's haulin dynamite
He needs all the help he can git

Well we laid a strip fer the Jersey Shore
An' prepared to cross the line
I could see the bridge 'as lined with bears
But I didn't have a doggone dime
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
We just ain't a gonna pay no toll
So we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight
I sez, let them truckers roll, 10-4

Cause we gotta mighty convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta mighty convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, 10-4 Pig-Pen, what's yer 20?
Omaha?!
Well they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there fer sure
Well mercy sakes alive good buddy
We gonna back on outta here
So keep the bugs off yer glass
An' the bears off yer... tail
We gonna catch ya on the flip-flop
This here's the Rubber Duck on the side
We gone
Bye, Bye...
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:45     #38
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassmofo
What I don't understand is why we're trying to penalise those that use diesel at the moment, shouldn't we be trying to encourage it?

that's not the angle to take on it-
this is about user pays.. which seems to be a pretty popular concept when it falls on the powerless.
as a nation we spend a huge amount of our revenue on roads-
some of us use them to get to work to continue lining the pockets of the owners of capital, some of us receive an income via the use of publicly funded infrastructure-
people are currently spewing about money going into rail- 'money pit' they say-
did god pull roads out've his arse on the seventh day or something?
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:47     #39
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoro
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10519715

Fucken good on them I say. Sif trucks aren't already expensive enough to operate. Better leave early(er) for work tomorrow you jaffas!
And I say fuck em, when they start paying the full cost of the damage they cause to the roads they can start complaining.
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:54     #40
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_VlaD
I think most of the rego stuff is left over from yrs ago when basically all diesels on the road were trucks, and the government has adopted the "why alter it we are getting lots of free money" therory.
Except that they're not getting enough to maintain the roads. Trucks aren't helping as they don't pay enough to cover the damage that they do. RUC, as you are probably aware, is charged by weight so lighter vehicles pay less.

Quote:
RUC's
Im not aware of anyother country that has a separate tax on diesel, it should be on the pump anyway ....
And what about fishing? You know, the other industry that uses a lot of diesel but doesn't use roads?

Quote:
Im pretty sure the new ruc's only apply to trucks over 3 ton ?
It applies to diesel vehicles because diesel doesn't have the charges at the pump unlike petrol.