Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 27th February 2021, 09:21     #681
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I bet their marketing department are impressed with themselves.
Old 27th February 2021, 21:04     #682
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This is actually BS by newsies deliberately misinterpreting the announcement.

https://corporate.hasbro.com/en-us/a...hing_this_fall

Brand is being changed, the "characters" are not.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:20     #683
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

facepalm

6 Dr Seuss books have been cancelled
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:22     #684
Lightspeed

facepalm

Gee, guess we're not allowed to grow up.
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:23     #685
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, gotta say this one doesn't bother me too much.

When MHG was little our bedtime reading included a lot of sci-fi, including one of my fave authors Andre Norton. We were blitzing through the Solar Queen series and loving it all until we got to "Voodoo Planet" and it was holy mid-20th-century racial superiority stereotypes Batman and I dropped a book that I loved as a kid like a hot rock.

That's not cancelling Andre Norton; that's me deciding that a work hasn't aged well for its intended audience.
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:32     #686
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Sorry, I will leave the moral judgment up to you from now on. Clearly I am a danger to society.
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:47     #687
Lightspeed

o_O

That's what it takes for you to feel attacked?
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:51     #688
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Clearly I am a danger to society.
only if north shore whiteys rollin' in a bemma thinkin' they can take on the mighty d3w crew on the wines after a trip to Guada's manukau in an fxgt is what you mean!

HAHAHAHA. sheit~
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:00     #689
crocos

Considering Seuss himself expressed regret for the asian racism in his works, and it's not like they're dropping EVERYTHING Seuss, just the problematic works, this seems fine to me.

Racism needs to be preserved as something those with analytical capability can look back at and learn from.

Young growing children do not have those analytical thinking skills and could learn something generally considered abhorent by current standards.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:01     #690
Nich

Agreed.

I'm all in favour of book burning children's books. There is a tonne of bad ideas in children's books whether through ignorance, not aging well, or well-intentioned post modern thinking. You never know what idea will sink it's teeth into a child's head, no matter how brief the exposure.

Additionally, a lot of Dr Seuss books just aren't that great so slimming the catalogue down is a good thing. (Oh The Places You'll Go is brilliant, though)

I'm glad we can still fat shame the hungry caterpillar.
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:59     #691
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Racism needs to be preserved as something those with analytical capability can look back at and learn from.

Young growing children do not have those analytical thinking skills and could learn something generally considered abhorent by current standards.
Old 4th March 2021, 01:25     #692
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Can I still say "slippery slope" or does that also have racist implications?
Old 4th March 2021, 01:28     #693
Lightspeed

You don't have to be racist. You're possibly just stupid.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:30     #694
wazza
*flex*

I have missed this place
Old 4th March 2021, 12:27     #695
Nich

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/bestsel...ef=zg_bs_nav_0

Not a slippery slope, but rather a masterful marketing campaign.

Same goes for Jordan Peterson. "They don't want you to be able to read this book!" ... well I'll show them! I'll buy the book and read it in their faces!

Last edited by Nich : 4th March 2021 at 12:29.
Old 4th March 2021, 13:25     #696
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ha!

Jordan Peterson could publish a shopping list and someone would call for it to be banned as hate speech.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:16     #697
Lightspeed

Publishers surely stop publishing books all the time for any number of reasons.

This is only news because we've got populists working hard to justify and maintain their baiting of the overworked, overwhelmed and just plain stupid.

No one is being condemned, no books are being piled in the streets and doused with gasoline.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:11     #698
wazza
*flex*

Lightbulb

I pre-ordered (and received, several years ago) Jordan's 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos and also pre-ordered(waiting on) Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life.

Jordan was the reason I took ownership with my life back when that Bill C16 drama was unfolding. I watched(with an overwhelming sense of fascination/curiosity) his 2017 Maps of Meaning and also 2017 Personality and Its Transformations courses that he recorded when he taught at The University of Toronto.

I literally wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't had stumbled upon his content back then. I have a lot of respect for the influence he had on my "forced-change" attitude towards my own life. Respect.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:34     #699
wazza
*flex*

Lightbulb

additionally~ I have been a fan of Eric Weinstein for several years. He and his brother, Bret, are wonderful individuals. Here they are together some time ago on Eric's podcast. Bret Weinstein on "The Portal" (w/ host Eric Weinstein), Ep. #019​ - The Prediction and the DISC.

If you want something more recent, I think Lex Fridman is doing some great work, he has had Eric on 4 times. I'll link the most recent content from these two but I strongly urge those of you who are looking for content to consume while doing exercise or chores or gardening, etc. to really give this is a try. Lex does a great job with Eric and vice versa.

Eric Weinstein: Difficult Conversations, Freedom of Speech, and Physics | Lex Fridman Podcast #163.

For some of you, it may be best to start with the Lex content, particularly if you do not have a/any sibling(s), you may not be able to relate.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:58     #700
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
I pre-ordered (and received, several years ago) Jordan's 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos and also pre-ordered(waiting on) Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life.

Jordan was the reason I took ownership with my life back when that Bill C16 drama was unfolding. I watched(with an overwhelming sense of fascination/curiosity) his 2017 Maps of Meaning and also 2017 Personality and Its Transformations courses that he recorded when he taught at The University of Toronto.

I literally wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't had stumbled upon his content back then. I have a lot of respect for the influence he had on my "forced-change" attitude towards my own life. Respect.
I'm glad you found something that worked for you.
Old 4th March 2021, 17:13     #701
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
No one is being condemned
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-new-book.html

Quote:
no books are being piled in the streets and doused with gasoline.
https://www.newsweek.com/jk-rowling-...issues-1532330
Old 4th March 2021, 17:38     #702
Lightspeed

If that's the best you can dig up, I feel secure in my position.
Old 4th March 2021, 18:08     #703
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
I'm glad you found something that worked for you.
Thanks, J

;>
Old 4th March 2021, 18:19     #704
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
If that's the best you can dig up, I feel secure in my position.
in 5 secs on a phone while in a zoom conf
Old 4th March 2021, 18:39     #705
Lightspeed

Is it a point about how trash media will find tenuous examples of circumstances that if were substantive and significant would be concerning and serious? As part of the pattern of populist baiting?

The difference for instance of symbolically burning a few books in protest as opposed to all copies of books being tracked down and disposed of being lost on those struggling to hold together jobs and families?
Old 4th March 2021, 21:46     #706
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri Waititi
“The cau casity [sic] of Caucasian’s [sic] and their ‘active assimilation agenda’. Pay them no attention, their archaic species is becoming more extinct as a new Aotearoa is on the rise. Tangata Whenua + Tangata Tiriti = Aotearoa > Tangata Whenua + Pakeha = Old Zealand.”
This is pretty funny. I bet ol Banksy is having a chuckle in his tea over this.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:01     #707
fixed_truth

Banksy is a dinosaur so yeah you're right he probably does make the false equivalence that minority racial prejudice is the same as his white racism, heh.

Regarding Dr Seuss all the social media outrage seems to be from people who haven't even read the books concerned.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:37     #708
Lightspeed

It's fascinating how this has been framed as a book banning in some quarters. All of a sudden a private business can't make its own decisions.
Old 5th March 2021, 16:01     #709
Nich

People are bitching that their ebay listing of "BANNED Dr Seuss books" (with prices as high as $3,000) got taken down, while Mein Kampf listings stay up... hmm perhaps they are suggesting Mein Kampf is also a children's book.
Old 5th March 2021, 17:12     #710
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Banksy is a dinosaur so yeah you're right he probably does make the false equivalence that minority racial prejudice is the same as his white racism, heh.
I was meaning Banksy and Waititi are cut from the same cloth i.e. both racist cunts.
Old 5th March 2021, 17:34     #711
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I see Waititi has pulled the good ol' "oh that post was a mistake by a staffer it wasn't me" trick.
Old 5th March 2021, 17:46     #712
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I was meaning Banksy and Waititi are cut from the same cloth i.e. both racist cunts.
Nah one's just a prejudiced cunt. Waititi's prejudice towards you because you're white probably won't affect your life in society. And also Banks is coming from a place where the colour of his skin doesn't negatively affect his ability to progress in society, for generations.
Old 5th March 2021, 18:59     #713
xor

nice, you're attitudes are the same side of the coin as the Trump supporters. Hope it works out well for you
Old 5th March 2021, 19:10     #714
wazza
*flex*

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
both racist cunts.
Old 5th March 2021, 19:14     #715
xor

double post
Old 5th March 2021, 19:49     #716
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
nice, you're attitudes are the same side of the coin as the Trump supporters. Hope it works out well for you
I'm not supporting whoever wrote that tweet, it was tactless and unhelpful. But to say that it's equal to the actual consequential racism that Maori are subject to is to downplay that experience for the sake of shielding you from the uncomfortable truth that you have white privilege. Just like the all lives matter and not all men narratives.
Old 5th March 2021, 21:03     #717
xor

It wasn't tactless, it was racist. And that's OK with me. There's no need for him to blame some junior staffer for the tweet. He should own his comments. Let him spill out his vile comments about other ethnicities.
Old 5th March 2021, 22:52     #718
fixed_truth

Perhaps you should reflect on why it is that you need to cling to some outdated dictionary definition.
Old 6th March 2021, 07:54     #719
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.
Old 6th March 2021, 12:50     #720
Lightspeed

o_O

You're pissed we have to know words beyond "ugg" and "unga-bunga"?

When did you become such an ultra-conservative that our language can't even evolve?