Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th June 2012, 13:00     #2121
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Huh? The premise was some guys trying to sneak a dying friend into Skywalker Ranch to see the movie early. The actual quality of the movie was an open question.
Ok premise is maybe the wrong word.....maybe the punchline that everyone sees coming....as in all that effort for Phantom Menace.

Old 19th June 2012, 23:53     #2122
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Just finished watching IV,V,VI with the kids (SE though - urgh).... they are asking questions like "What are those other movies in the 'Starwars' folder?"
You could have gone the Machete order - 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. It works super well. 4-6 are Lukes story, mirrored by 2-3+6 being Anakins. Watching this way you still keep the surprise intact (because you don't ruin who Darth Vadar is with the prequels), you get the Frozen in Carbonite cliff-hanger, and the mirroring of the journeys the two protagonists take is much more apparent. 2 and 3 basically become a mid-series flash-back explaining just how Luke's dad got all fucked up, right after you learn who he is.

Super best part? Basically removes Jar Jar entirely. There is no point in watching 1 at all, nothing in that movie is necessary to jump right into 2 if you've already seen 4 and 5, and some things are more consistent by its removal (Obi Wan now walkways has a beard, Anakin only ever wears black).

Linklinklink: http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html
Old 30th June 2012, 04:05     #2123
doppelgänger of someone

Volver. Ostensibly a ghost story, but it is really a beautiful drama revolving around some ugly sexual abuses.

Best movie I've seen in a while. Not a by-the-book chick flick, not by a long shot, but it is the exact opposite of an action movie. You can see Chekhov's gun all over this though. The real kicker is the identity of the father of Paula, the daughter to Penélope Cruz's character.
Old 30th June 2012, 13:05     #2124
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
You could have gone the Machete order - 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. It works super well. 4-6 are Lukes story, mirrored by 2-3+6 being Anakins. Watching this way you still keep the surprise intact (because you don't ruin who Darth Vadar is with the prequels), you get the Frozen in Carbonite cliff-hanger, and the mirroring of the journeys the two protagonists take is much more apparent. 2 and 3 basically become a mid-series flash-back explaining just how Luke's dad got all fucked up, right after you learn who he is.

Super best part? Basically removes Jar Jar entirely. There is no point in watching 1 at all, nothing in that movie is necessary to jump right into 2 if you've already seen 4 and 5, and some things are more consistent by its removal (Obi Wan now walkways has a beard, Anakin only ever wears black).

Linklinklink: http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html
Interesting.. Do you ever see Qui-Gon's ghost? Can't recall if that's anywhere in the remasters.
Pretty sure it's just Hayden Christensen at the end of Jedi, eh.
Old 30th June 2012, 14:52     #2125
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Interesting.. Do you ever see Qui-Gon's ghost? Can't recall if that's anywhere in the remasters.
I'll have to check the BR of EPI - but his voice is in either II or III - either when he smotes the Sand People or the Youngling purge.
Old 30th June 2012, 21:00     #2126
SPONGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
The Intouchables

Watched it last night. Really, really good.
Seconded
Old 30th June 2012, 22:16     #2127
fixed_truth

Looks good. Hoffman looks pretty fluent in French.
Old 1st July 2012, 00:06     #2128
_Incubus_

Quote:
Alright alright, it's not exactly a masterpiece, but come on, the Darth Maul fight is right up there, as is the Duel of the Fates score.
the pod race was the high point of the movie for me...
Old 5th July 2012, 11:07     #2129
blur^

ok i am conflicted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQzb...layer_embedded

on one hand. i fucking love jack reacher
on the other. i fucking hate tom cruise and disgusted he is portraying him

/pokerface
Old 5th July 2012, 14:20     #2130
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
ok i am conflicted

/pokerface
Looks like a pile of shit to me.

Why, Jim Grant, why.
Old 6th July 2012, 00:09     #2131
GiBs

Just watched Cleanskins - Surprisingly good!
Old 6th July 2012, 00:32     #2132
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
ok i am conflicted

/pokerface
been discussed in the What You Reading thread, but I just can't see Cruise as Jack Reacher.....
Old 6th July 2012, 10:24     #2133
Gerbs

Isn't Reacher some ex-marine or something?
(been a while since I read the books)

Cruise is too damn short to MAKE the Marines.....
Damn Hollywood, never an accurate portrayal of actual life!
Old 6th July 2012, 17:05     #2134
blur^

ex-army MP
6ft5 250pounds
Old 9th July 2012, 20:09     #2135
[BT]Monza

Want to see Batman in a decent theatre, what's the pick of Auckland theatres these days?
Old 9th July 2012, 20:31     #2136
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Want to see Batman in a decent theatre, what's the pick of Auckland theatres these days?
Gold Class, Queen Street is pretty sweet.
Old 12th July 2012, 16:23     #2137
Baxton

hoyts>event as a general rule (bigger seats, better setup, you can take beer in.)

also hoyts gold class lets you just buy the seat without all the other stuff (food delivery etc). think its about $20 per seat.

downside is they are only in slyvia park and somewhere out east I think?
Old 12th July 2012, 16:42     #2138
Savage

Its been about a year and a half since I went there, but Hoyts Sylvia Park was the best cinema I'd been to at the time. Pro seats, great screen, tons of parking, right by the motorway on/off ramp in Mt Wellington.
Old 12th July 2012, 17:12     #2139
Cyberbob

Project X. Alright first act, second act picked up, horribly boring climax and finished feeling really let down.

Project X. Masturbation.
Old 12th July 2012, 18:41     #2140
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaT8...feature=g-vrec

Taken 2. There are some locations and some characters and some dialogue and LIAM NEESON FUCKS SHIT UP.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:40     #2141
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaT8...feature=g-vrec

Taken 2. There are some locations and some characters and some dialogue and LIAM NEESON FUCKS SHIT UP.

Ted, so much lol

Really enjoyed The Amazing Spiderman too. All the way through I kept thinking how glad I was not to be watching Tobey Maguire..
Old 12th July 2012, 19:58     #2142
doppelgänger of someone

I'm going to watch Taken again first.

Rewatching soon: The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara.
Old 13th August 2012, 00:10     #2143
cEvin
Love In Vein

Holy Motors was fuckin weird.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076220/
Old 13th August 2012, 07:05     #2144
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I'm going to watch Taken again first.

Rewatching soon: The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara.
Ive'd watched that about 9 times
You linked many moons ago, forgot to thank you for that.
Old 16th August 2012, 00:38     #2145
doppelgänger of someone

np, and don't thank me, thank Liam "I will find you, and I will kill you" Neeson.

Late to the Prometheus party, but by god IMO it is by far the WORST Ridley Scott movie. Some things are better never than late.

AND HE IS MAKING A BLADE RUNNER SEQUEL/PREQUEL. Haven't you ruin enough of your legacy already??? I guess his retirement fund really needed the money.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:59     #2146
wazza
*flex*

The Bourne Legacy

what kind of ending was that!
Old 18th August 2012, 10:58     #2147
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
The Bourne Legacy

Totes..
Old 18th August 2012, 17:31     #2148
Furry Crew

Quote:
The Bourne Legacy

Knew 1/2 way through the movie that it would end like that....

Old 19th August 2012, 01:09     #2149
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Soz Bob, missed this. Been watching the machete order with the missus (shes only seen the prequels?!? Things you find out after the wedding...), but it's been super slow going as I've been working late and we're only up to half way through Empire. That link to the guy who popularized the order said he'd watched it with SW virgins (kekeke....) who had zero issue following, so I think if Qui Gon shows up, it's obvious enough who he was.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:14     #2150
[Malks] Pixie

Finally saw the new Muppets movie - nostalgia heroin.

Pixie
Old 20th August 2012, 09:27     #2151
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Soz Bob, missed this. Been watching the machete order with the missus (shes only seen the prequels?!? Things you find out after the wedding...), but it's been super slow going as I've been working late and we're only up to half way through Empire. That link to the guy who popularized the order said he'd watched it with SW virgins (kekeke....) who had zero issue following, so I think if Qui Gon shows up, it's obvious enough who he was.
how the fuck do you marry someone without knowing if theyve seen star wars? did you marry some hooker after a night in vegas or something?
Old 20th August 2012, 10:05     #2152
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
how the fuck do you marry someone without knowing if theyve seen star wars? did you marry some hooker after a night in vegas or something?
it's a fkn average series man, settle down. (slightly above average if you ignore the new ones/changes to origionals.)
Old 20th August 2012, 12:49     #2153
leadinjector

new ones? what new ones? the only star wars movies were made in the 70s and 80s bro.

also regardless i honestly dont know how that wouldnt come up in the years before getting married. surely at some point you ask the other person if theyve seen star wars? im still thinking vegas hooker or stripper.
Old 20th August 2012, 18:19     #2154
fixed_truth

Finally seen 'The cabin in the woods' - horror with a sci-fi angle. Was quite intriguing but could of been better. Liked its dark humour 7/10
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:15     #2155
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Look it's my first time right, it's become apparent I didn't do thorough due diligence before we wed.

How much did I fuck up? She hadn't seen any Monty Python movies. I didn't know it was physically possible to get to 28 without seeing the Life of Brian. (we've since fixed this with some studious movie watching sessions).
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:54     #2156
leadinjector

well at least youve accepted responsibility and made amends, thats whats important. now, we need pics of said wife in slave leia outfit.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:57     #2157
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The Bourne Legacy

I was reading about that one the other day, so they've turned the Bourne franchise into Universal Soldier? Sounds shit.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:09     #2158
wazza
*flex*

It was terrible
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:13     #2159
leadinjector

just watching kickboxer again. despite having watched this movie probably ten times already, fuck its awesome.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:21     #2160
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
just watching kickboxer again. despite having watched this movie probably ten times already, fuck its awesome.
yes. it's great. seen it probably 30 times!!!!!!!!