NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st January 2015, 16:54     #3641
mpx

Lowest I can go is 150 ISO

Here is a comparison shot, I was carrying my elderly dog up the stairs, slipped and fell on my ass. I broke her fall. So I spent five hours in A&E on Christmas Day! Anyway, since I had the itch for taking photos but couldn't go anywhere, I decided to (against doctor's orders) get out of bed and see what I could make out of my backyard. I took a few shots and crawled back to bed. This is what I got.

I tried to go for a fairy-ish, look. I lowered/heightened exposure in various parts of the shed, and other places, heaps of graduated filters all over the place and brought the black's contrast up ever so slightly to give it that whimsical-almost-instagram look. I've looked at it too much to know whether or not I didn't any good to it, but it was a fun thing to do while in bed!

Old 1st January 2015, 18:05     #3642
CCS
Stunt Pants

150 is fine. As far as doing photos of fireworks goes, from what I've been reading on the web most people recommend 100 or 200 anyway.
Old 4th January 2015, 11:45     #3643
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
The only reason that I haven't played with HDR as much as I probalby would have, is that Lightroom seems to have everything except for HDR merging. Photoshop isn't compatable with my RAW files and converting them is a chore.

Is Photomatix the program of choice for HDR merging?
You can get plugins for lightroom that do HDR work. You create a group/stack of photographs and then call the plugin to process them for you. The one I use is Enfuse. It does photograph alignment and takes the images after you have done your tweaking to them produce the HDR composite.

I'd provide an example except I haven't uploaded any - they all currently are sitting on my iPad. Must get around to fixing that.
Old 4th January 2015, 11:55     #3644
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
150 is fine. As far as doing photos of fireworks goes, from what I've been reading on the web most people recommend 100 or 200 anyway.
Yep, I'd suggest going for 100 ISO, tripod and a cable release. Also fireworks tend to be fairly quick so play with your exposure length to get as much or as little a trace as you want. Generally somewhere around a tenth of a second gets you lines enough to see the motion but not have so many overlapped that it gets hard to see the display shape.

Eg :-

You can see the whole set I did for the Rugby World Cup here :-

http://www.khantazi.org/display_gall..._RWC_Fireworks

One of my favourites has to be the aftermath just after the display :-

Old 14th January 2015, 11:38     #3645
Charismo'

eh CCS I think your after shot is better. I saw some shots from new years from a friend recently that were all "orange", personally I don't like it but he said he wanted it that way. So it might be a bit subjective.

Anyway I like your adjustment. did you play around in lightroom with altering the WB yourself or did you just use presets?

I often tweak it manually until I like the WB.
Old 14th January 2015, 23:01     #3646
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Just for lulz, the moon.

nice
Old 15th January 2015, 02:31     #3647
Ars vitae
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

"That's no moon. It's a space station. "
Old 16th January 2015, 09:27     #3648
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
You can get plugins for lightroom that do HDR work. You create a group/stack of photographs and then call the plugin to process them for you. The one I use is Enfuse. It does photograph alignment and takes the images after you have done your tweaking to them produce the HDR composite.

I'd provide an example except I haven't uploaded any - they all currently are sitting on my iPad. Must get around to fixing that.
Just been reading about Enfuse - might have to take a look, and if it is as good as the reviews imply, might have to donate....
Old 16th January 2015, 10:56     #3649
Cyberbob

Just used Enfuse to create this.

Needed a bit of tonal variety added back into it after the HDR merge left it a little flat, but my laptop screen has horrible colour/contrast, so forgive me if it's completely wrong on a decent screen.

Source:

Think I'll be donating to get around the 500px limitation

Last edited by Cyberbob : 16th January 2015 at 10:58.
Old 16th January 2015, 17:25     #3650
Jodi

http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse

Oooh, gonna have to try this one out :-)
Old 17th January 2015, 19:31     #3651
mpx

Right! Tried taking the advice I got from here last time and improve on it. I also decided to get myself an early birthday present in the form of an Olympus 75-300 lens (150-600 equivalent) since it was on special and had a cashback offer. Looooove it! It's a bit slow due in low light to small aperture, but for outside and flash it's beautiful. Had a play with a friend's Nikon speedlight in manual mode, in love with flash now. So many things, so little wallet.

So now I have two native lenses! Still can't believe how much joy photography gives me.

The first three photos are where I made the wife drive home from Hamilton so I could take photos out of the window. Gutted at the car in the Huntly one

This last one I tried something different, I stitched about 10 images together with the adapted 50mm (100mm equiv) Minolta lens to make a fairly huge end result, Photoshop managed stitching to a point but there was a lot of manual stitching, masking and colour correction in the end. Hopefully it doesn't show that and it just looks like one photo!

Old 31st January 2015, 23:27     #3652
Fred

Glad you guys like Enfuse, it is a tool worth a few more donations going its way.

Like all HDR tools it is easy to over use it. But it can do some nicely subtle work too. Just been messing with it to do image stacking while I have been chasing Comet Lovejoy a bit. It also let me get this image :-

Which is from the Summar City events in the gardens. More can be seen here.
Old 17th February 2017, 15:36     #3653
Cyberbob

Port Taranaki Breakwall, New Plymouth by Rick McQuinlan, on Flickr

Awakino Heads, Taranaki by Rick McQuinlan, on Flickr

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th February 2017 at 15:38.
Old 19th February 2017, 19:30     #3654
Fred

Thos are two lovelly shots Bob. I assume a wide-ish angle around 12 mm?
Old 22nd February 2017, 15:41     #3655
Cyberbob

Taken with my 10.5 fisheye and corrected in post for lens distortion, but didn't get rid of it all.
Used to use it all the time as a great live music gig lens, but it hasn't got much use in the last few years (not so much time for gigs with two kids!).

Made for a great landscape lens on our holiday trip around the north island.
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:30     #3656
Lightspeed

I really like the pics, too, especially the top one.
Old 15th January 2020, 21:36     #3657
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Princess snapped this of me and the boy with a point and click. I cropped it to emphasise the "thirdsiness" of the composition, but I like the colours. It was one of those neat days where the sky is really dark but the sea is so green it's almost glowing.

Ab I challenge you to recreate this image.
Old 15th January 2020, 21:54     #3658
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
Old 15th January 2020, 22:58     #3659
madmaxii

Yeah, accepted, close, but I suspect, no cigar

Last edited by madmaxii : 15th January 2020 at 23:03.
Old 15th January 2020, 23:05     #3660
madmaxii

Edit timeout
https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...DfrVJCa9ilmA46
Old 16th January 2020, 09:20     #3661
Cyberbob

This thread makes me sad that I haven't had much time for photography since coming back to New Zealand.

That being said, it's a hell of a lot easier to get good astro photos in NZ.

Old 28th April 2020, 08:56     #3662
pxpx

Saw an article on "light painting" cars on the youtubes and decided to give it a go. Dusted off my ancient Canon 500D and got an LED torch out of the cupboard . Managed to get something I was happy with for a "first go" after a few shots. Surprised at how easy it was considering I really have no clue what I'm doing.

Old 18th September 2020, 21:27     #3663
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

My take on a Sydney cliche from a while back:

Old 20th November 2023, 20:55     #3664
Cyberbob

Inspired by meeting Havs the other day, I thought I'd post here about what we've been up to the last few years in the photography space.

Still a hobby, still a passion. Doing weddings when we're asked, a few family shoots, but haven't really done that since lockdown. We (Wifey and I) have won a few awards, been in a few books, bought Orbis's very last Speedlight Ringflash before they went out of business.

Mostly playing around with drone photography for the last few years. Here's a couple of highlights.