NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th February 2022, 17:24     #2561
Lightspeed

It's unfortunate we didn't have the resolve to tolerate just one more round of lockdowns to avoid this peak, but then again, that would be holding out hope for a better vaccine or less virile variants. At some point it would have to come to something like this.

We'll probably see hospitals getting hit with influenza patients once borders relax. Which might be why it's not a good idea to open them yet, so we can do one then the other. Hopefully while it's still warm.

I'm glad mask wearing is normalised. I've been going out for a few small social engagements, I don't think I'll be doing much more than that for quite some time.
Old 26th February 2022, 17:28     #2562
blynk

There was definitely a delay in tests, not sure if it was widespread or not, but that is why the numbers dropped a few days ago and then had a huge jump.

RAT testing is speeding up the process again which I would assume will mean that the delay from Test to result will have come back down again.
Old 26th February 2022, 17:36     #2563
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's unfortunate we didn't have the resolve to tolerate just one more round of lockdowns to avoid this peak, but then again, that would be holding out hope for a better vaccine or less virile variants. At some point it would have to come to something like this.

We'll probably see hospitals getting hit with influenza patients once borders relax. Which might be why it's not a good idea to open them yet, so we can do one then the other. Hopefully while it's still warm.

I'm glad mask wearing is normalised. I've been going out for a few small social engagements, I don't think I'll be doing much more than that for quite some time.
But what would have this done this time around. Omicron is a very infectious, relatively non deadly variant. I think this is now the best we could hope for.
And the peak is always going to happen. If we locked ourselves away for 3 years, as soon as we open, it would spread through here.
You could try and smooth it out a bit, but what would be the acceptable levels to try and keep it to? 200-500 a day?
Which means the last 2 weeks where 50k people got it would mean we would have been in a form of lockdown for about 100 days.

Sure some people may still have anxiety around it. Having to have their mind go from the big bad deadly thing to "its ok now, theres nothing to worry about", but if you do have that type of anxiety, you can still do your own isolating. Limit your excursions etc.
Old 26th February 2022, 21:25     #2564
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I think the RAT testing is keeping the reported cases down, if people are even bothering to test. Anecdotally, everyone I've spoken to about RAT testing (vaxed people, because I'm a minority), has said they wouldn't report a positive test so they aren't required to isolate (a common strategy), and "people they've spoken to have said the same". Of course it's just an anecdote, but it's reason to believe the numbers are very much under-reported (because I don't think it will be balanced it by someone reporting themselves multiple times). I asked someone if there's a website you're supposed to report to when she offered to test me, and she said "she thinks so", but she didn't know. So, include "process confusion" too.

I don't even think case numbers matter now - the whole rigmarole was to save our hospital system, so that figure and of course deaths are the "important" numbers as far as the Government is concerned.

I also notice someone sharing a bad math take on the effectiveness of things, and concluding that "an unvaccinated person is 64 times more likely to be hospitalised than a boosted person". Which is one way to misinterpret data.

Given recent events, I think Cyberbob's bulletproof vest is of more use to people.
Old 26th February 2022, 22:03     #2565
blynk

Yeah, I think thats just an anecdote about people wouldn't report it. Similar to "if I don't go get a test, then I won't have to self isolate"

What would be the reasoning to go get a RAT if you weren't going to report it?

I'm sure there are pockets outside the UnVax/antivax etc that are starting to pop up that wouldn't report it. But I can't see that being a significant number that would make people say that its "way more prevalent in the community"

The asymptomatic or those with very very mild symptoms might.
Old 27th February 2022, 14:27     #2566
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I'm sure there are pockets outside the UnVax/antivax etc that are starting to pop up that wouldn't report it. But I can't see that being a significant number that would make people say that its "way more prevalent in the community"
This was the apparent situation in QLD shortly after borders reopened in December. First there were zero RATs available, then up to 24 hour delays in getting a PCR test, and 48 hours later for results to be available. Not long after, NSW tried to make it mandatory to report positive RAT tests (with fines for those who didn't report it); they rapidly realised how abominably stupid this was and reversed the decision.

I know several people who were symptomatic and self isolating just after NY and couldn't reasonably get tested anywhere. Their symptoms were mostly mild and they were done and dusted in about 3 or 4 days ... so they saw no point getting tested and reporting the result. I suspect this is now the modus operandi for most people in QLD (even though RATs are now easily and widely available).

I would expect similar in NZ over the coming weeks and months.
Old 27th February 2022, 19:57     #2567
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
I suffer from a chronic illness, and the third vax has really kicked my arse (first two were totally fine)
Sorry to hear. It's been 7 days since my booster and I'm still feeling wiped out. Total fatigue, light headaches. Feels exactly how I was after I had Dengue Fever.. but that lasted 6 months. Hopefully this goes away soon, but a bit worrying I'm still floored from it.
Old 27th February 2022, 21:51     #2568
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePi
Sorry to hear. It's been 7 days since my booster and I'm still feeling wiped out. Total fatigue, light headaches. Feels exactly how I was after I had Dengue Fever.. but that lasted 6 months. Hopefully this goes away soon, but a bit worrying I'm still floored from it.

Yeah I'm having a tough time tonight. Pressure behind my eyes, aching behind my eyes - that thing where it hurts when you look around - and I know it's affecting my mood because I'm feeling frustrated, angry, generally emotional and bleak/depressed outlook - all normal feelings, but not normal for me to get episodes of them.

Day 27
Like you, hoping it gets better soon - but don't have much choice.
Mine feels like recurring glandular fever.

It's a thing that strong immune responses can trigger latent reactivation of previous infections.

Hope yours fades quicker!
Old 28th February 2022, 02:05     #2569
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Man, I didn’t even notice shot #3 (Pfizer). Bit of arm soreness a day or two late like I’d walked into a door.
Old 28th February 2022, 09:47     #2570
The Edge

That one knocked me back a bit, but a couple of days later I was all good.
Old 28th February 2022, 10:44     #2571
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

If it wasn't for the sore shoulder I'd swear the nurse didn't give me the Moderna booster. A bit worrying tbh.
Old 28th February 2022, 11:25     #2572
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
If it wasn't for the sore shoulder I'd swear the nurse didn't give me the Moderna booster. A bit worrying tbh.
I thought the same, I was lucky not to be hit by it to the point where I wondered if I had a placebo.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:24     #2573
_indigo1

I had no issues with #1 or #2.

Part of me wonders if the nurse for #3 knicked a blood vessel.
Apparently many other (non western) countries require the nurse to aspirate for that exact reason - but for some reason western medicine deems it un-necessary.
TBH it seems like one of those 'decreed' over-broad rules that is more politics than science, which then becomes endemic to institution without question.

Still; if it were just that there would be many many more reactions to the vaccine.
Def got to do with underlying immune state.

The same night I got the vax I got random pinprick feelings all over my hands - kinda like rain randomly hitting but pinpricks.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 28th February 2022 at 12:28.
Old 28th February 2022, 18:10     #2574
Caesar

Have to admit, after myself, my 84yo mother and my sister all had nothing but a sore arm for a day or two from all the 3 shots, it does make me wonder if that's a good or bad thing.

So, if you don't have any affect from either of the jabs does that mean your immune system is just plain fucked or does it mean its assimilated the vac into your system well?
And if you get a reaction to the vacs does that mean your system is working well because its detected the (fake) virus and is actively combating it, hence your reaction.

Would it seem logical to think the latter is true?
Old 28th February 2022, 18:45     #2575
wazza
*flex*

i had no reaction to all 3. neither did my father.
my boss was death warmed up after the booster, proper fucked.
my ex got owned, too. (by the booster.)

weird, eh.
Old 28th February 2022, 19:08     #2576
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Would it seem logical to think the latter is true?
I heard that a lot and assumed it also. But it's apparently not true
Old 28th February 2022, 20:40     #2577
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Jacinda has used that "reaction" fact. Which doesn't make her a liar or dishonest - just wrong. But if we are all dependent on Government information, and Government information is wrong - where does that leave us?

And if we are now learning things we didn't know before, what else will we learn?

Here's another moocher that just wants donations, claiming to be vax injured

His immune system is clearly superb, doing a terrific job keeping him safe. I can tell by all his spasms. What does he need money for, with an immune system that good?
Old 28th February 2022, 21:00     #2578
The Edge

Exclamation

BitChute is an alt-tech video hosting service launched by Ray Vahey in January 2017. It is known for accommodating far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists, and for hosting hate speech.

Not a credible source.

Last edited by The Edge : 28th February 2022 at 21:02.
Old 28th February 2022, 21:04     #2579
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

looks like a moocher chasing donations to me
Old 28th February 2022, 21:06     #2580
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
BitChute is an alt-tech video hosting service launched by Ray Vahey in January 2017. It is known for accommodating far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists, and for hosting hate speech.

Not a credible source.
Least we know where certain talking points are originating from.
Old 28th February 2022, 21:13     #2581
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

OK, I'll accept you think that - I knew you would, hence my description. But a thought experiment, if you'll allow it: what would it mean if this video was genuine?

Last edited by DrTiTus : 28th February 2022 at 21:14.
Old 28th February 2022, 22:15     #2582
The Edge

It's not, so not much point going there. Same thing with Liz Gunn and her nonstop conspiracy theory "vax injury" crap videos - same category as this drivel.
Old 28th February 2022, 23:06     #2583
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
i had no reaction to all 3. neither did my father.
my boss was death warmed up after the booster, proper fucked.
my ex got owned, too. (by the booster.)

weird, eh.
One of the guys in my team got majorly fucked up by the first Pfizer dose.
Potentially Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS).
He said his skin felt like it was on fire, welts coming up, problems breathing. Lost a shit tone of weight and sounded like he was 90 years old.
Was in and out of hospital a few times during it.
Had to have 6 weeks off work and was told not to have the second dose or
it might kill him.
Back at work now and mostly ok but still has lost some lung capacity.
Old 1st March 2022, 10:00     #2584
wazza
*flex*

that's insane
Old 1st March 2022, 11:17     #2585
_indigo1

It is; but on the bright side lucky for him his symptoms were so impossible to ignore. I envy that.
For many the symptoms are invisible and easily downplayed and dismissed - leaving a sense of hopelessness and no way to get support.

Hope he gets the help he needs.
Old 1st March 2022, 14:34     #2586
ePi

My resting heart rate dropped to 33 the night of the Booster. Didn't notice until I checked my watch a few days after and thought "bloody hell, that's low." Seem to be all good now after the 7 day fatigue. HR back up to 41-43. Pulse 0x still doing some swings.
Old 1st March 2022, 14:36     #2587
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

resting 43??? are you an ultra marathoner or something?
Old 1st March 2022, 14:42     #2588
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
resting 43??? are you an ultra marathoner or something?
Nah not even close probably could only eek out a 10km. Had a good diet and severely limited alcohol for last 6 weeks which has dropped it from mid 50s. Smoke like a chimney tho? Always goes pretty low when I drop the alcohol. 33 was an uncomfortable reading however.
Old 1st March 2022, 14:44     #2589
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's crazy. That's nearly as low as what Michael Bisping was reporting when he was a UFC champ.
Old 1st March 2022, 19:27     #2590
wazza
*flex*

my resting is 54, which is the lowest it's ever been. i remember thinking that getting it it under 70 was good. then it dipped below the 60s.

there's no way I'm making it under 50, surely not.. time will tell.

dad's resting is in the high 40s and my last ex was, too. (not the same ex i mentioned above).

cool story.
Old 1st March 2022, 19:37     #2591
MadMax
Stuff

Dayam. Mine's lucky to get under 55. Sitting around doing nothing during the day it sits around 70-80

Guess my weight?
Old 1st March 2022, 20:57     #2592
_indigo1

Even when I'm sleeping I'm around 65

At rest during the day I average around 80 - but I spike to like 100-120 easy.
I'm only 68kg

Am I doin it rite?
Old 1st March 2022, 23:02     #2593
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Joining the heart rate crew: I'm around 70 resting according to fitbit. Smoke a joint, spikes to 120. 100 is my rate when I'm just moving around the house.

Running, I max out at 180 (I know when I'm maxing), with 150ish if I slow back to a jog after that.

I'm down to 83kg now, after I hit 96 the previous Christmas (Dad + loads of piss drunk with my uncle). I was 79kg when I was fit and doing kung fu, so I'm happy with where I'm at now.
Old 1st March 2022, 23:14     #2594
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Dayam. Mine's lucky to get under 55. Sitting around doing nothing during the day it sits around 70-80

Guess my weight?
You're the same guy getting up to 200?

I'm going to guess you're a heavier guy... I'll say closer to 100kg than 70kg... heart pumps more as you move. Do you have bad lungs? Your heart needs to pump faster to keep up with bad oxygen absorption? I am nowhere near a real doctor, I just have a mental model of how things work which is not based on anything but basic ass assumptions.

I read somewhere, one time, that lungs don't heal. If you damage them, they don't "regrow" like for example kidneys which can sort themselves out. I might be way off target.
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:34     #2595
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax

Guess my weight?
join your local f45 and never drink alcohol again. you will get results.
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:17     #2596
Lightspeed

It's a shame the RATs aren't cheaper. If everyone could test themselves daily, it would be much easier to manage transmission.

But wishes are nice I guess.

I say that in consideration of the "is it covid" thought I'm sure many are familiar with every time they sneeze or get a headache.
Old 4th March 2022, 20:29     #2597
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

FYI/OIA Request about COVID jabs in NZ for Tier 1 (Border workers)

This is a document about border workers, but obviously it applies to any random person, because what's a border worker anyway.

Page 12, Section 60

They budgeted for 1.1% of people to have serious reactions, while telling everyone it's "Safe and Effective". Both those statements are facts.

The vaccine was new - so we didn't know for sure what would happen, or to who, or how long it would last. Fact.

Many people did have reactions - some minor, some more serious. Some died. Fact.

We still don't know what will happen in the future, by the nature of it being new and experimental. Fact.

Enjoy your weekend! Make the most of it
Old 5th March 2022, 09:20     #2598
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
join your local f45 and never drink alcohol again. you will get results.
I’m 79kg and until the recent shenanigans I walk between 3km and 7km every day thanks to owning a dog. Sometimes twice if I go for a walk during my one hour lunch break.

Clearly that’s not enough for cardio.

It’s shocking for myself as I used to be active in athletics in high school and the best sprinter for my year. for years I used to race cars for fun when cycling to work then once I got to work I’d be man handling over a tonne every half an hour on performance standards over the 8 hour shift. I was the skinniest dude out.

Last edited by MadMax : 5th March 2022 at 09:25.
Old 5th March 2022, 09:28     #2599
MadMax
Stuff

Sorry, off topic.

Desk jobs are silent killers.
Old 5th March 2022, 11:34     #2600
fixed_truth

Quote:
never drink alcohol again.
https://youtu.be/WlkZ6_Th8yk