Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th March 2021, 23:13     #761
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
You are that reddit user, you simp. This isn't some 9yr old false flag op. You aren't important, you have zero opsec. And, you are racist.
So to be clear, your response to this discussion was to go and search for something to peg me for a racist, however tenuous?

After complaining about ad hominem attacks you've gone out of your way to try and construct an ad hominem attack against me?

Your fantasy about my virtue is your own. I've said plenty worse than nigger on this forum.
Old 15th March 2021, 23:40     #762
xor

GG mr racist.
Old 15th March 2021, 23:59     #763
Lightspeed

Well, I guess you got me. Now the truly virtuous can go back to laughing at racist Maoris.
Old 16th March 2021, 00:04     #764
Lightspeed

The dictionary says it's okay.
Old 16th March 2021, 01:22     #765
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It’s the syllables that are magic. Just don’t say them. Or think them in your head.
Old 16th March 2021, 10:28     #766
wazza
*flex*

shit's epic AF when an ex-best mate and my ex's brother go at it

edit: how come the forums clock is off by 10-11mins?
Old 16th March 2021, 13:28     #767
Lightspeed

As long as no one else questions how important I am. I think it's clear to everyone I am very important. Fucking FATES rest upon my shoulders.
Old 20th March 2021, 10:33     #768
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Calls for theatre production to be cancelled after director hires actor to do acting

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/19-...of-trans-role/
Old 20th March 2021, 13:52     #769
Lightspeed

Probably just a good idea to avoid the problem altogether by avoiding these kind of controversial roles. /s
Old 21st March 2021, 16:12     #770
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, that's the most obvious lesson from this. Tell no transgender stories, write no transgender parts.
Old 21st March 2021, 16:23     #771
wazza
*flex*

steer clear of queers?

WHOA!
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:54     #772
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efeso Collins
Hey @TVNZ it’s time u dropped Police Ten 7. A couple of days ago I was watching tv & your ad cut promo’ing the program showed young brown ppl. This stuff is low level chewing gum tv that feeds on racial stereotypes & it’s time u acted as a responsible broadcaster & cut it.
https://twitter.com/efesocollins/sta...64800797822978
Efeso should just turn off the tv if he doesn't like it. Dude should invest in a TV remote eh.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:07     #773
fixed_truth

Why should he just sit down & shut up? If he's right about how the show is produced then it directly negatively affects him & his family.

We already know that police disproportionately target brown people and we also know that white criminals appearing on the show doesn't perpetuate stereotypes about white people, but brown criminals on the show does for brown people. So the show does have a moral responsibility to take these things into consideration. Perhaps it already does, I don't watch it.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:44     #774
xor

Hey, he should be able to say whatever he wants. But, he doesn't have a right to dictate what others can watch. If that were the case then Richard Pryor would've never been around, and that would be a sad thing indeed.

What it does do is open up for dialogue. But, from what I can see there is no dialogue from the media companies. Just special interest groups looking to get social credit and extra likes from their tweets, and even ol' racist cunt lolspeed who drops N bombs.

Maybe this guy will provide more context rather than a tweet.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:54     #775
Lightspeed

Is Efeso Collins asserting some kind of right to dictate what others can watch?

Or is he offering his voice to the collective opinion that sets our broadcasting standards? Which media companies do indeed abide by and are in ever ongoing discussions about.

You can just say you disagree with that opinion without having to make out like someone is doing something they shouldn't by tweeting theirs. Or I suppose maybe you can't.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:56     #776
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Newsflash, his audience wasn’t TVNZ.
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:26     #777
xor

His post was picked up by the social justice warriors just like a fat kid in a cake shop. No real analysis put into it. Brown people shown on TV in a negative light = racist.
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:54     #778
wazza
*flex*

Pre-order arrived

Old 23rd March 2021, 17:54     #779
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
His post was picked up by the social justice warriors just like a fat kid in a cake shop. No real analysis put into it. Brown people shown on TV in a negative light = racist.
Oh yes, that monolithic group, the social justice warriors.

What analysis are you expecting? How do you expect to come across that analysis?

At this time there are 27 Google Scholar results specifically mentioning Police Ten 7, at a glance a number appear related to the discussion at hand.

There could definitely be more. Are you asking for better funding? Free access to academic sources?
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:10     #780
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

What analysis are you expecting? How do you expect to come across that analysis?
That's a really good question. Probably something more than a tweet and reactionary articles written by heritage media outlets like the NZH and STUFF. But hey, whatever gets you those sweet clicks or likes.

http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/handle/10063/2458
This write up looks good, but there's no stats there so who could say? Are you allowed to use statistics in this post modernist world of yours?

GG Helious, JBPeterson owns bones.
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:25     #781
Lightspeed

Perhaps he's seen young brown people struggling against the odds and thinks any portrayal of any brown person in less than ideal situations needs to be well considered, given the vulnerabilities of this group of people he is familiar with?

Stats are very useful in some circumstances, impossible to collect in any meaningful way in others. Often simply arbitrary, chosen on the basis of what we're looking to find rather than what actually might be there. We know how to learn things in the absence of statistics.

The comforts of hard data are understandable. Are you looking to learn, or be comforted?
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:39     #782
blynk

Maybe we need a police 10 7: white collar edition.

Oh wait. That wouldn't suit the viewer democratic and would not be very interesting to watch.
Someone defrauded someone, but they have been able to have permanant name suppression coz basically they can afford the lawyers to convince the judge that it would cause undue hardship.
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:45     #783
wazza
*flex*

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Helious and another nzgamer snapped~ white collar as fuark
this is like, 10-15 years ago, i forget how long

https://mega.nz/file/h25AUJQJ#9L7aCF...oEFSOJR0lYMa6I
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:40     #784
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Whatever happened to that boat that strayed onto the America's Cup course and delayed the start?
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:08     #785
xor

I'd prefer to have a show where John Campbell stalks people like Mark Hotchins around. Or another show where Jeremy Wells teaches people how to rip off the system.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:45     #786
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Brown people shown on TV in a negative light = racist.
Well if it's every week for decades then yeah, people should be asking what value this brings.

As a society I do think that we're slowly progressing to a place where it's safer for non-white people to critique how the media portrays them. More and more people are critiquing how P10-7 deepens racial stereotypes which leads to real discriminatory bias towards brown people which makes their lives more difficult.

So yeah questions around why we should accept this and what value the show has are important questions.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:08     #787
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Well if it's every week for decades then yeah, people should be asking what value this brings.
People should be asking about about the value that Police 10:7 brings? It's an entertainment show. There is no value. People watch it for the lols.

'Always blow on the pie' is a cultural icon in NZ TV.

Perhaps you're right though. They should do filming in Christchurch or Greymouth instead of South AK. Then there'd be more bogan meth heads to sit and laugh at.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:29     #788
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
People should be asking about about the value that Police 10:7 brings? It's an entertainment show. There is no value. People watch it for the lols.

Perhaps you're right though. They should do filming in Christchurch or Greymouth instead of South AK. Then there'd be more bogan meth heads to sit and laugh at.
So much truth
Old 24th March 2021, 10:45     #789
fixed_truth

facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
And if meanwhile it contributes towards racism who gives a fuck eh? As long as you get a lol.

Topical from this morning. ex cop looking at some of the facts
Quote:
A law enforcement programme that contributes to solving crimes, as Police Ten 7 does, should not be dismissed lightly. But I suspect that even many victims of unsolved crime would agree that a TV show that purports to advance justice should be able to do so without exacerbating the racism and classism that has harmed our vulnerable communities for too long.
Old 24th March 2021, 11:47     #790
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what about misogyny? the show obviously just reinforces negative male stereotypes. I for one demand more female and nonbinary criminals.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:40     #791
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
what about misogyny? the show obviously just reinforces negative male stereotypes. I for one demand more female and nonbinary criminals.
I think you want Taranaki Hard...

It seems diverse as.

Last edited by StN : 24th March 2021 at 12:41.
Old 24th March 2021, 13:22     #792
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor

You're right, there is no value. So if it does have a negative impact on people, and indeed people are complaining about such an impact, serious consideration needs to be made about whether it has a place in our society, right?

Now this issue is about race, because we're all racist. We're all a part of these systems that arbitrarily divide us, marginalise and exploit those who find themselves vulnerable. But we can put race aside and just see a person concerned about people he is familiar with. We don't have to view this as an attack in the race war. He could actually be concerned about the people he knows and loves, without making it about white people vs non-white people. And even if he doesn't, we can.

But I get it, it's hard to put aside racism.
Old 24th March 2021, 14:30     #793
Brutus

Hmmm, so long as the amount of time spent on brown/white/other incidents is proportional I don't see it as an issue.

It has the potential to be racist sure.

Ok, reading the articles linked earlier... That is exactly what is happening.
Too many incidents shown involving brown people and not white people.

So, yeah racist.

Hmmm, the Shows producers are claiming that it is what they see when out with the patrols. And that it is an accurate representation.
So that therefore their show isn't racist its just reflecting society.

Maybe they do need to film more in areas which are less brown dominated. So their show reflects more of NZ than just South Auckland?
Old 24th March 2021, 16:23     #794
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
And if meanwhile it contributes towards racism who gives a fuck eh? As long as you get a lol.
wow, you deliberately misrepresented my statement. But, then you are pretty disingenuous so it's not really surprising that you'd do that.

Where's the evidence that the show is racist?
Old 24th March 2021, 16:27     #795
Lightspeed

Sealioning.
Old 24th March 2021, 16:32     #796
xor

The burden of proof regarding the truthfulness of a claim lies with the one who makes the claim; if this burden is not met, then the claim is unfounded, and its opponents need not argue further in order to dismiss it.
Old 24th March 2021, 16:40     #797
Lightspeed

And in a different context working through all that would be completely appropriate. And certainly has been in numerous ways.

In this context, and given you're unwilling to consider ideas not established in the dictionary, you're sealioning.
Old 24th March 2021, 16:43     #798
xor

If you're happy to use some sort of rational argument then i'm all open. Otherwise your reasoning devolves into the below statement by Mr Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Old 24th March 2021, 16:56     #799
Lightspeed

No you're not. You're defensive and dismissive. You're working to be right, not to engage in a discussion. When I call you a cunt, I point out why you're specifically being a cunt in that point of discussion. Like when you laugh at a person who's grown up under generations of oppression for taking on the values of their oppressors. That makes you a cunt. You have to dig shit up, cause you want to be right, the discussion doesn't matter. Keeping what you got is what matters. Challenging racism challenges what you got.

Why attempt to be "rational" when as soon as I use a term that has more depth that can be defined in the dictionary, you'll hold up the dictionary all triumphant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Now this issue is about race, because we're all racist. We're all a part of these systems that arbitrarily divide us, marginalise and exploit those who find themselves vulnerable. But we can put race aside and just see a person concerned about people he is familiar with. We don't have to view this as an attack in the race war. He could actually be concerned about the people he knows and loves, without making it about white people vs non-white people. And even if he doesn't, we can.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 24th March 2021 at 16:57.
Old 24th March 2021, 17:10     #800
xor

No evidence then, Jeremy?