User Name
Password

Old 2nd July 2020, 01:25     #11641
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

closing all my telstra accounts ohs my jees
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:31     #11642
Jodi

6 months of diet and exercise and holy fuck, I think I can see my abs again.

Haven't seen those suckers for 25 years.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:57     #11643
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I hear that. I can't really see my own abs per se yet but I can definitely see where they are, which is a bit of a shock. job loss budget crunch and lockdown and cutting down on booze for mental health have been good to me. I haven't stepped on the scales today but it's not impossible that I'll be under 100kg (edit update: fail, 100.3kg) , which has not been the case since the days of the "I ate all the pies" thread.

good on you Jodi. Goddamn middle-aged bodies, why can't they just be simple machines like they used to be?
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:56     #11644
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

99.9, I'll take it
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:11     #11645
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
99.9, I'll take it
Well done! I'm trying to shave off the 3kgs that seem to have stuck around since coming back after lockdown. Too many chilli-bites from the food van I fear. So dry July it is, at least for now.
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:33     #11646
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
99.9, I'll take it
Remember to take a dump before getting on the scales
Old 4th July 2020, 03:02     #11647
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh yeah, learned that lesson.
Old 6th July 2020, 15:58     #11648
Jodi

Anyway - for those who wanna know how

diet:
the fist diet:
* make a fist
* that's all the carbs and protein you can eat in a sitting. Eat as much veggies as you want. Potatoes are carbs, not veggies.
* No 2nds, no eating the kids leftovers, no sugar things (see below). That's it, you're done.

NYE resolution
* no beer or white wine
* nothing that has cake or chocolate in its name
* no ice cream
* except on blood relative birthdays

Excercise
* I recorded a bunch of those les mills video workouts that were free to air at level 4. Did 5 a week (reduced to 3 a week since level 1).
* My abs were so weak that it took 3 weeks before I actually started using them in exercises. Had back aches due to compensation.

Mental
* No gonna lie, I'm never full. That is, I no longer get that nice full feeling after eating a meal
* Seriously do not underestimate how hard it is to "not feel full"
* that 10 min before you stop feeling hungry can be a real mental test while the rest of the family is chowing down, and you've finished your "not filling" meal.
* I have enough control I just don't eat the chocolate, or drink the beer. Not everyone will be able to do that
* I still wolf down my food. Trying the "put fork down each mouthfull until swallowed" thing.

p.s. Congrats Simon on the sub 100. That's awesome!
Old 7th July 2020, 00:28     #11649
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cheers Jodi

MHG's birthday yesterday, had birthday food and cake. 100+ again today no big, I know I'll be back under within 24-36 hours. I want to be 98.5 by Thurs.

I now stick pretty much to the guidelines of Michael Moseley's "Fast 800" diet. Basically as few carbs (especially sugar) as possible, eating protein and good fat is ok (fuck yeah cheese and peanuts and yoghurt) BUT stick under 800 kcalories total per day, lots of cardio and some resistance training, and I don't eat anything between 8pm and midday (jeez I'm drinking a lot of black coffee). Other than yesterday's birthday cheat day I basically haven't eaten bread or potatoes or anything sweet in over two months.

Other lessons learned: alcohol fucking sucks, it has WAY more of a hit than just the caloric value of the drink, it's like it distracts my body from burning anything I've eaten and that food just turns straight into weight gain; sleep and water make an incredible impact, I've had days of breaking the diet but maxing out sleep and water and the weight still fell off.

Man, Maori genes make it tough though. My body wants to go from big and soft to big and hard, trying to lose mass is totally different and waaaay harder for me.
Old 15th July 2020, 20:00     #11650
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Donated plasma today, the nurse ran the numbers before draining me. 98.1kg, resting HR 57bpm, BP 117/71. Jesus.
Old 15th July 2020, 23:00     #11651
blynk

GJ, I've been meaning to do that, buts it's been a while now since I've donated blood, so I have to go do that first
Old 25th July 2020, 15:37     #11652
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bled again today. 97.3kg, 74bpm*, 114/74. GG heart, keep it up.

* walked to the Red Cross
Old 28th July 2020, 09:46     #11653
Jodi

After nearly 5 months of doing this exercise thing, I have finally made it through an entire ab workout set without crying like a little jelly baby.

feels good man
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:13     #11654
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Weighed in at 96.7kg this afternoon but the sheer mass of all the wine I have consumed this evening will have destroyed that, let alone the chemical potential energy, fuck
Old 5th August 2020, 17:43     #11655
xor

You should read a book written by David Goggins, it'll help you dominate while on your quest. GL on the journey!
Old 5th August 2020, 18:42     #11656
[LvN]N3misiS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Weighed in at 96.7kg this afternoon but the sheer mass of all the wine I have consumed this evening will have destroyed that, let alone the chemical potential energy, fuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
You should read a book written by David Goggins, it'll help you dominate while on your quest. GL on the journey!
Abdullah nails it here,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKRW1eXLo8
Old 6th August 2020, 12:46     #11657
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LvN]N3misiS
"Feelings mean fuck all. We're upgrading the tools now" ahahaha, for those of you in blissful Aotearoa COVID isolation, that's what an Adelaide accent sounds like.

One of the biggest eyeopeners for me is the knowledge that I am not working super hard or anything. My main focus is still job-hunting (and all the networking and interviewing it takes, jesus christ) and then there's bringing up two kids and being a good dad and partner, and reading all the books in my queue. Those are the biggies and fitness is something that happens around the edges. It's not like I've set a goal of joining the SAS and now I have to train 24/7. I'm just eating better, watching calories, not drinking as much alcohol, keeping carbs to a minimum, doing more cardio exercise, and my body feels ten - fifteen - years younger than it did in May. I guess what I'm saying is... it's not fucking rocket surgery. Hardest bit is fighting the Poly urge to convert fat to muscle mass.

Still funny even just reading this page. Seeing July me feeling good about being sub-100 and aiming for 98.5. Now the thought of being 98.5 is horrifying.
Old 25th August 2020, 11:20     #11658
Cyberbob

Hyperfibre. Woah.
Old 25th August 2020, 13:44     #11659
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Metabolic change is weird, I feel like I'm eating like a horse but 95.5.
Old 25th August 2020, 15:42     #11660
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

in other news, Ngāti Whātua Ōrakei f*ck yeah
Old 26th August 2020, 20:22     #11661
MadMax
Stuff

Wait for the negative interest to kick in
Old 30th August 2020, 23:35     #11662
MadMax
Stuff

Made gingerbeer with this recipe https://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/ginger-beer/ and bugger me if it doesn't put me to sleep at night

I believe the alcohol level is bumped up by the cream of tartar + heated sugar (invert sugar)?

Not sure what went on with my last batch but the 750ml bottles ended up ballooning out and looking like mortar bombs - 1/3rd full of gas that took like a minute of phsssshh to release

Last edited by MadMax : 30th August 2020 at 23:36.
Old 7th September 2020, 14:20     #11663
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Found out today that I've been pronouncing the word elegy wrong my whole life
Old 7th September 2020, 15:44     #11664
StN
I have detailed files

Sounds like some kind of Hey-fever...
Old 8th September 2020, 12:16     #11665
crocos

L-gee? L-egg-ee?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th September 2020, 13:38     #11666
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Apparently it’s like “allergy”, and until yesterday I’ve always thought it “EEliggy”
Old 8th September 2020, 18:11     #11667
Juju
get to da choppa

Went snow shoeing with the wife and dog at snow farm today for the first time.
So that got added to the rather large list of reasons why we threw in the high-paying-job-with-two-hour-round-commute towel and moved to Wanaka.

.....Huh. First post here in 9 months. Time flies. Hi everyone!
Old 9th September 2020, 12:09     #11668
Cyberbob

Juju went to the snow, and there's no pic to prove it?
Old 9th September 2020, 13:46     #11669
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ahahahahahahah
Old 9th September 2020, 15:54     #11670
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Juju went to the snow, and there's no pic to prove it?
Perhaps there is?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAr...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by madmaxii : 9th September 2020 at 15:56.
Old 9th September 2020, 20:17     #11671
pxpx

a clip of the backyard cricket pitch from my old flat (circa 2009) appeared on the project tonight (for about 1.5s), many good memories were triggered.
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:18     #11672
Juju
get to da choppa

For years I've been envious of all those folk that you hear about who found an old bitcoin wallet with x number of coins on it.

welp... guess I'm one of those people now.

protip - don't rely on blockchain.info and the wallet's primary address to give you your balance.
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:20     #11673
Juju
get to da choppa

and before you ask... not enough to retire on, but enough to warrant a visit to the accountants office.

oh and also enough on the side to YOLO into pickles.
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:23     #11674
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^

Gears oiled!!
Old 23rd September 2020, 19:01     #11675
Nich

Nice! I was in the retirement zone at the end of 2017... then I was in the 2-minute noodle zone in 2018. I would hodl those coins at least until the end of 2021.
Old 24th September 2020, 11:31     #11676
blynk

Jealous.
Old 24th September 2020, 17:09     #11677
Know me.

Even I searched my computers for wallets and I have never mined or purchased bitcoin!
Old 25th September 2020, 18:34     #11678
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I appear to have a new job
Old 25th September 2020, 19:47     #11679
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Congrats!
Old 25th September 2020, 21:22     #11680
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I appear to have a new job
Booyah! Confirmed I hope? Or still getting paperwork sorted?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية