NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 15th November 2014, 16:44     #3841
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Wussel's complaint, abridged: "John Key told the truth in order to improve nationals election chances!!!1"
Old 15th November 2014, 17:34     #3842
CCS
Stunt Pants

"GIVE ME MY FLAG BACK! GIVE ME MY FLAG BACK!"

Yeah nah. Russel is a moron. I just can't take him seriously when he gets shrill.
Old 15th November 2014, 17:58     #3843
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Oh okay. So what you're saying is it's only really National that can pull that kind of thing? It makes sense I guess, it does take a kind of critical mass, some kind of position of authority to effectively make a mountain out of a molehill as National has been effective at, mountains some around here are so eager to climb up.
You are boring
I am not entertained
Old 18th November 2014, 10:53     #3844
Lightspeed

NZ near bottom in global R&D spending: report

National: "Nah, bullshit, it's all good!"

The whole idea of a knowledge economy was bunk anyhow? Cows and tourism, that's the future, technology is just a fad, AMIRITE?
Old 18th November 2014, 11:05     #3845
pxpx

Interdasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats NZ
In 2012:

Total research and development (R&D) expenditure was $2.6 billion, up 10 percent from 2010.
Business R&D expenditure jumped by 23 percent, to reach $1.2 billion.
Nearly half of businesses expected to pay back their R&D investment within two years.
Government R&D expenditure dropped, but government funding of business R&D increased by over 70 percent.
The amount of R&D performed by the higher education sector remained steady.
http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_..._HOTP2012.aspx

I wonder how we've tracked in the last 2 years. I trust Stats NZ more than I do a private accounting firm with unknown motives.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:54     #3846
Lightspeed

Plenty of reason not to trust Stats NZ. National dissolved any independence it had from government fairly early on. I recall (but sadly cannot find - I did link it a long time ago though) the outgoing head statistician talking about how the quality of statistics would be compromised without independence.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:01     #3847
spigalau

http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...cs-part-2.aspx

"Statistics New Zealand provides independent (and free) population estimates (and projections) for every local authority area of New Zealand"

Last edited by spigalau : 18th November 2014 at 12:04.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:08     #3848
Lightspeed

How is their independence maintained? Does the current government have any authority over Stats NZ or capacity to change its function?

Ooh, I forget, National are our benevolent saviours, their constant lapses prove that they are working hard for all NZers.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:47     #3849
^BITES^

Quote:
How is their independence maintained? Does the current government have any authority over Stats NZ or capacity to change its function?

Ooh, I forget, National are our benevolent saviours, their constant lapses prove that they are working hard for all NZers.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 18th November 2014, 12:48     #3850
Lightspeed

Nope, I didn't vote National.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:12     #3851
pxpx

Quote:

The fuck does Gerry Brownlee walking through a security gate have to do with Statistics NZ being independent?
Old 18th November 2014, 13:20     #3852
Lightspeed

Oh, that's just the latest of a stream of National MPs and cabinet members using or attempting to use their position of authority for purposes other than the purpose the authority was given.

There are more pertinent, but less recent instances. Such as was it Smith telling Fish & Game or whoever it was off, threatening their statutory status, for speaking out against government policy.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:27     #3853
pxpx

Do you know what pertinent means?
Old 18th November 2014, 13:29     #3854
Lightspeed

You don't see how a government minister threatening a statutory body's status relates to the independence of other statutory bodies' being in question? I guess some of those words are pretty big.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:34     #3855
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, the Civil Aviation Authority look pretty damn intimidated, fining Brownlee 2K and issuing written warnings to his staff. That OBVIOUSLY means Stats NZ can't be trusted.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:44     #3856
Lightspeed

Yes, we know one organisation won't be cowed by National's behaviour so we can be assured this is true for all organisation.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 18th November 2014 at 14:46.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:55     #3857
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But... you're saying that an allegation of attempted National interference with some other authority means that Stats NZ can't be trusted...?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:06     #3858
Lightspeed

Not really, but nice worming around there. I'm saying the government and those reporting to the government can't be completely trusted and that there's plenty of evidence of untrustworthy behaviour by the government including but not limited to directly threatening some other authority. There's also what happened with the Problem Gambling Foundation.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:17     #3859
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ok so when you said

Quote:
Plenty of reason not to trust Stats NZ.

What exactly are the plenty of reason?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:17     #3860
pxpx

Taito Phillip Field is a criminal.

Using Lightspeed Logic, every member of Labour is a therefore a criminal. I can make this argument stronger by saying "there's plenty of evidence to prove it", and change the subject when someone asks me to provide evidence.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:18     #3861
pxpx

Can we change Lightspeeds tag to "Because reasons"?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:21     #3862
pxpx

Quote:
Plenty of reason not to trust Stats NZ. National dissolved any independence it had from government fairly early on. I recall (but sadly cannot find - I did link it a long time ago though) the outgoing head statistician talking about how the quality of statistics would be compromised without independence.
http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_s...t-14feb14.aspx

Never have I ever seen a more comprehensive list of obvious National Party Shills!
Old 18th November 2014, 15:24     #3863
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What exactly are the plenty of reason?
Quote:
I'm saying the government and those reporting to the government can't be completely trusted and that there's plenty of evidence of untrustworthy behaviour by the government including but not limited to directly threatening some other authority. There's also what happened with the Problem Gambling Foundation.

Using pxpx logic a discernible pattern is equatable to a single instance.

Gee, you'd think NZGames has some kind of right-wing bias going on, lolz.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:37     #3864
plaz0r

Quote:
Gee, you'd think NZGames has some kind of right-wing bias going on, lolz.
Individuals express personal opinions on a discussion forum?

No wai!
Old 18th November 2014, 15:41     #3865
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz0r
Individuals express personal opinions on a discussion forum?

No wai!
Dont be fooled plaz, that outburst is really an attempt to turn the conversation away from him being completely unable to back himself up.

We all await the scandalous evidence that Stats NZ is a corrupt organisation fluffing the numbers to ensure a neo-liberal regime well into 2020s.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:42     #3866
Lightspeed

At NZGames you either agree with the dominant view or you're wrong and crazy for having a different view.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:44     #3867
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Dont be fooled plaz, that outburst is really an attempt to turn the conversation away from him being completely unable to back himself up.

We all await the scandalous evidence that Stats NZ is a corrupt organisation fluffing the numbers to ensure a neo-liberal regime well into 2020s.
It seems you don't know the difference between evidence and proof. Or you think that in the absence of proof any evidence must be completely disregarded and we must assume the best of our government and political institutions.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:47     #3868
CCS
Stunt Pants

So... asinine wide ranging conspiracy theories aside... Dat R&D stuff is pretty good.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:52     #3869
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lightspeed so far you've said that Stats NZ can't be trusted, because it reports to the government and those reporting to the government can't be trusted.

Do you not see how that's kinda... nutty?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:58     #3870
Lightspeed

I think it's nutty that you trust the government. It doesn't matter who is in power, power acts for power. That National MPs have been caught time and again in overstepping their bounds suggests that National struggles to maintain discipline in this regard. So I'm especially untrustworthy of them and those whose authority is in someway dependant on the government.

Of course, this is very unpopular view here at the moment, given the passionate support for the right in this forum, so I can appreciate how it's hard not to get caught up with your mates with the whole "nah, nah man, you're wrong, you're crazy" business.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:10     #3871
Lightspeed

At least arguing this stuff gets people posting.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:13     #3872
pxpx

Can you trust Grant Thornton Ltd?

By their own admission they have a lot of clients in the venture capital space - they've lobbied on behalf of this client base before, can you assume that their report tells us the whole truth, unsullied by any ulterior motives? Maybe their clients stand to lose a funding source, and therefore their revenue stream is at risk?

reference:
http://whoslobbying.com/nz/grant_tho...evidence_given
http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/googl...grant+thornton

Last edited by pxpx : 18th November 2014 at 16:15.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:20     #3873
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I think it's nutty that you trust the government.
I don't trust the government. But we're not talking about the government, we're talking about Stats NZ.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:20     #3874
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Can you trust Grant Thornton Ltd?
Not completely, no. Everyone has an agenda and their own bias.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:24     #3875
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I don't trust the government. But we're not talking about the government, we're talking about Stats NZ.
You're convinced Stats NZ is immune to the political environment?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:32     #3876
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You claimed there are plenty of reason not to trust Stats NZ. What are they? Other than a general "because government". What are the things that Stats NZ has done to make you not trust it?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:40     #3877
Lightspeed

Why does it have to be about anything Stats NZ has done? Is it because it would be impossible to demonstrate anything they've done given we don't have easy access to the inner workings of the organisation? I'm talking about the accessible political context Stats NZ operates in. Are you convinced that Stats NZ is immune to this context?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:44     #3878
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
"Statistics New Zealand provides independent (and free) population estimates (and projections) for every local authority area of New Zealand"
Yes, they do provide independant and free population estimates.

This is not saying anything about the other data they provide, and where those R&D numbers come from. There are plenty of ways for this number to look better than it is.
Also, Comparing a 2012 vs 2010 doesn't give a full picture. Maybe 2008 was greater than 2012 is.
Maybe it was because of election year, and they that budgets get reported, or allocated.

I am not saying that stats is not trustworthy, but I am saying that it is easy for them to be supplied with "creative accountancy" numbers.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:54     #3879
pxpx

I asked Stats NZ to comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistics NZ
The Govt Statistician has statutory independence, as set out in the Stats Act 1975. See section 15:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...vene_25_se&p=1

This gives the GS sole responsibility for deciding the "extent, form, and timing of publication" of official statistics.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:10     #3880
Savage

Quote:
Why does it have to be about anything Stats NZ has done? Is it because it would be impossible to demonstrate anything they've done given we don't have easy access to the inner workings of the organisation? I'm talking about the accessible political context Stats NZ operates in. Are you convinced that Stats NZ is immune to this context?
How is Grant Thornton Ltd immune in this context? How can you demonstrate that their information is any more or less valid than that provided by Stats NZ? Surely those companies benefiting from their services would be just as likely to attempt to influence the results of their reports as the Govt is to try to influence those provided by Stats NZ?