NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th May 2022, 09:37     #43161
pxpx

HB LS! Milestone birthday or just once more round the sun?
Old 11th May 2022, 10:24     #43162
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
HB LS! Milestone birthday or just once more round the sun?
He has reached the answer.
Old 11th May 2022, 18:46     #43163
MadMax
Stuff

Fuck yeah if someone breaks into your house* you can forcibly collect one of their finger tips.

*and whacks you over the head with a bottle while armed with a knife

Last edited by MadMax : 11th May 2022 at 18:48.
Old 11th May 2022, 19:16     #43164
blynk

Hmmm, not sure about this one.
It does sound like they went a little overboard.
Old 11th May 2022, 19:18     #43165
blynk

Well I have learnt today that reddit (well a NZ sub on reddit) really doesn't like negative generalisations against middle aged white men
Old 11th May 2022, 20:22     #43166
Cyberbob

Be thankful it's not the old IRC #NZ
Old 11th May 2022, 20:43     #43167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I got banned from /r/australia for pointing out that transgender males who identify as women are still male.
Old 12th May 2022, 13:04     #43168
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Hmmm, not sure about this one.
It does sound like they went a little overboard.

Yeah I don't understand how they got off it TBH. At best he would have been able to put him under citizens arrest (ticking all the boxes of reasonable self-defense + is at night time + property worth over $1000)

I was of the understanding that if you can get out of the situation eg the house then that should be your only option. Law has ruled on autonomous flight or fight responses however.

Last edited by MadMax : 12th May 2022 at 13:06.
Old 12th May 2022, 15:13     #43169
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Yeah I don't understand how they got off it TBH. At best he would have been able to put him under citizens arrest (ticking all the boxes of reasonable self-defense + is at night time + property worth over $1000)

I was of the understanding that if you can get out of the situation eg the house then that should be your only option. Law has ruled on autonomous flight or fight responses however.
However if the did get convicted, the headlines would be the man gets convicted after burglar enters home.
And there would be huge uproar about that.
Old 17th May 2022, 09:48     #43170
blynk

I have been given a work phone for my new job, but I don't need to use it.
What are the actual benefits of having a work phone when I have my own phone with my own plan?
Old 17th May 2022, 10:28     #43171
MadMax
Stuff

I had a Quake dream for maybe the second or third time in my life so it's getting an obligatory share here...

Starts off and I'm applying for a job at a place in town. Not overly fussed if I get it or not and I'm mostly just going along to see what happens with the application.

The job interview is in town at a building that's a cross between a computer shop that I'd worked at and an ISP I've had a co-lo server at previously irl so I know most of the staff at both locations.

I go for the job interview for having previously provided my CV and spot a previous interviewee leaving the interview room after getting off a computer workstation that was obviously used for some kind of test.

I'm lead into the room and I'm expecting to be interviewed by someone I've met before but so far everyone is new. This new guy does the usual first greetings but he's very apathetic although I can tell he's already judging me somewhat.

I'm expecting to be sat at this computer for the same test that the last guy must have done but instead he takes me out though a side door and upstairs. As a point of indicating to this guy that I've been here before I tell him oh, you're taking me to see NOC But he gives me a side glance as I'd said something wrong. Best I just go along with whatever is going on then...

Upstairs in what I remember as being the NOC office the whole floor plan is changed and it's been converted into a large office space. There's a at least several people playing a heavily modded version of Quake. I'm still not sure what's going on but it appears to be some kind of next level up in the interview process.

I'm not invited to sit at any of the spare workstations, many of which are just sitting at the view you get of the Quake map when you've been jibbed and your head has just rolled across the floor looking back at the world at a funny angle.

The interview guy has walked off and helps one of the players. They're all in some kind of multiplayer game. I go up to one of the empty machines and tap the tilde key intending to type in my keyboard binds and setups but the what we this mod is it's blocked the Quake console and instead jumps me to the game start or spawn screen.

The loud click of the mechanical keyboard from the tilde key gets the attention of the interview guy but he goes back to helping one of the players. I take that as an ok to join in. So I'm playing Quake and from previous observations have already ascertained that these guys are noobs and I'll quickly pwn them all. Maybe that's why I've been brought up here?

The Quake game plays weird in the dream - the game play is like I'm actually in the game but then I'm also still in this office. The landing area of the map I'm on has some shjtty armour lying on the floor but it doesnt fit when I try to put it on. This is going to be tougher that I thought as these noobs already know the weapon and armour locations of the map. The interview guy keeps looking over at what I'm doing.

I find a nailgun and enter the fight though a portal. Around me in the office is quite a bit of lab gear - beakers and the like for which I'm not sure of the purpose. In the game I find myself being chased by the entire group of other players but I'm just running in reverse spraying the lot of them with nails - I can't miss as theyve all bunched up and they're missing me as they're freaked by how I've learned the map to the point of being able to run it backwards while shooting back at them.

I get taken back downstairs of this building and away from the game to a lab room where a guy is working on some human foetuses that are being kept alive by tubes poking into their small bodies. Discusting but I'm at a job interview so keep my reactions controlled.

He pokes at one of them and cuts it with a scalpel performing some kind of mod and suddenly upstairs the whole floor erupts in moans and complaints of disgust. As a result of what this guy is doing in the lab he's changing the bodies of the players upstairs as I realize that these featuses are from the past.
Old 17th May 2022, 10:34     #43172
StN
I have detailed files

Hall, Romero & Carmack vs Roe v Wade.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:25     #43173
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
What are the actual benefits of having a work phone when I have my own phone with my own plan?
You can open bottles with it like a lighter.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:39     #43174
_indigo1

Quote:
You can turn the work phone OFF when not working without compromising your personal communications.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:43     #43175
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I had a Quake dream
whoa.
Old 17th May 2022, 17:52     #43176
_indigo1

Here's a tangent: how many of you have EVER used your phone in a dream?
Isn't that a bit weird?
Old 17th May 2022, 19:01     #43177
Cyberbob

Also, get a kid to pretend to hold a phone to their ear.

They don't do the 'hang-ten' hand, they just hold their palm up.
Old 17th May 2022, 19:13     #43178
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
You can open bottles with it like a lighter.
haha
Old 17th May 2022, 19:49     #43179
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Isn't that a bit weird?
I have - it was my old Nokia N95 during the beginning of an apocalypse. I remember being reliant on the GPS function in the dream but had to turn it off immediately after use as I had no means of charging it.

My dreams are becoming more and more movie like lately where the ending is tying the whole thing together. I find it super weird that my brain is conjuring up all these events that make no sense until the end.

(Reader's Digest bad memory version ...) I had one where Earth was being bombarded by something off-world completely destroying the surface of the planet with some weird black monolithic projectile. The human race pulls together and manages to send off a bunch of black monolithic life pods to another planet but as the life form is released from the pod its AI suddenly realises that the Earth DNA we sent contained an ancient built-in virus that resulted in all events in the dream taking place - including the off-world attack which was just another copy of the virus elsewhere doing the same thing to ensure its survival and the human race had actually just done the same.
Old 17th May 2022, 19:50     #43180
_indigo1

Quote:
My dreams are becoming more and more movie like
You must be getting lots of tryptophan in diet or supping 5HTP.
Old 17th May 2022, 20:01     #43181
MadMax
Stuff

Other than my normal diet I'm not taking that as a supplement.
Old 17th May 2022, 23:31     #43182
blynk

Quote:
Isn't that a bit weird?
Define "use your phone" . I attempt to use it, but can never dial the right numbers. Always making a mistake and cant do it.
Old 17th May 2022, 23:32     #43183
blynk

Quote:
You can turn the work phone OFF when not working without compromising your personal communications.
Yeah, thats the only Pro that I can work out at the moment.
But I am happy to just ignore calls if I dont want to take them anyway.
Old 17th May 2022, 23:44     #43184
_indigo1

Quote:
Define "use your phone" . I attempt to use it, but can never dial the right numbers. Always making a mistake and cant do it.
Having it feature as a tool in any way in a dream.
For something that is such an integral and frequent extension of the human experience, it features eerily infrequently (if at all) for most, I am thinking.
Old 18th May 2022, 21:05     #43185
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

You have amazing dream recall. I don't feel like I dream at all, or if I do, it's certainly not something I remember or experience. I close my eyes, my mind drifts along crazy tangents, and nek minit my alarm goes off. I have a terrible visual imagination, and my mind feels more like an audiobook than a DVD. If my imagination was a display adapter, it would be CGA or some old vector arcade shit. The last dream I remember was simply having a conversation with my Dad, and I woke up when the conflict with reality occurred. I certainly don't use phones or look at my watch or explore strange or even familiar worlds.
Old 18th May 2022, 21:20     #43186
_indigo1

How many hours a night do you sleep? [Titus]
Old 18th May 2022, 21:27     #43187
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

last night I had a dream in which I *had* my phone, but I didn't do anything with it.
Old 18th May 2022, 23:01     #43188
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
How many hours a night do you sleep? [Titus]
*checks Fitbit* About 5-6 hours on average. I'm lucky to be in bed before 2am most nights, but I don't have a strict routine - I just sleep when I'm tired. Every so often (once a month, apparently) I'll have a good 8+ hours.
Old 18th May 2022, 23:11     #43189
_indigo1

You probably aren't sleeping enough to have memorable dreams. I find it's only when the body has stored up enough serotonin for the coming day that it switches over to vivid dreaming mode.
Old 19th May 2022, 01:43     #43190
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Um what

https://www.city-journal.org/philade...der-conference
Old 19th May 2022, 11:46     #43191
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
In early July 2021, the district’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion sent invitations to the Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference to teachers and staff on the SDP Connect mailing list, promoting the conference as a way to “learn more about the issues facing the trans community.”

As one session host explained, “there’s no age limit, because I feel like everybody should be able to access certain information.”

Chase Ross, a transgender activist and YouTuber, hosted a series of sessions on “packers,” “masturbation sleeves,” and “prosthetics for sex,” demonstrating various devices from his collection of more than 500 genital prosthetics. “I have tried and touched many dicks, right—prosthetics, real dicks, all dicks. This is one of the most realistic feeling in terms of like the inside of a penis,” he said during one demonstration. “It’s a big boy, this is, like, gigantic. Alright, give me two hours alone and I’ll get this in my butt,” he said during another.

The most extreme presentation at the three-day conference was “Trans Sex: Banging Beyond Binaries.” Jamie Joy, a self-described “kinky,” “polyamorous,” “pretty big slut,” and Lucie Fielding, a self-described “white, queer, kinky, polyamorous, visibly able-bodied, Jewish, witchy, non-binary, trans femme” led the session. The women led a presentation on politically correct anatomical language, including terms such as “front hole” and “back hole,” and shared personal information about organizing orgies for participants to “explore their fantasies and their perversions in groups.” The instructors then discussed various “kink” activities, including fetishes about puppies, Mary Poppins, and spanking. “I haven’t gotten to explore a lot of my mommy kink. And I think for tonight I’m really wanting to feel cared for, but also get punished a little bit,” said Joy.
get in the fucking sea
Old 19th May 2022, 14:36     #43192
Cyberbob

I'm starting to look at 3d printers. Anyone have any recommendations before i dive too deep in?
Old 19th May 2022, 15:36     #43193
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm starting to look at 3d printers. Anyone have any recommendations before i dive too deep in?
If you go too cheap, you will spend the rest of your days modding it

My first one (Prusia-3 clone) had no LCD interface - USB only. It now runs as a laser cutter, with only the frame and two steppers remaining of the original build. If you go the DIY route, there are clones/originals and you'll find some of the forums only answer questions about legit boards when it comes to things like flashing with upgrades etc.

Some useful mods I've applied are:
  • Teflon coated magnetic flexible bed - allows you to ping off the prints without wrestling with the whole printer. May also avoid having to use kapton tape/masking tape/glue stick to get initial adhesion.
  • Bigger adjusting wheels for the bed levelling (or even an auto leveler). (Natural progression is nuts, wing nuts, knobby type nuts, wheels...)
  • On the fence around stepper at the print head vs feeding from the frame - less wastage at the head when swapping, but what's 40cm of filament?
  • Getting the right heat on the base layers and maintaining it as the rest of the print cools is a fine art - many warps and splits will be found as you master this. I've even seen shrouds and upside down printing as options around sorting this.
  • ...and make sure the universal power supply is set to 240v not 110v!

Multi colour feeds are maybe still gimmicky - there are several ways to do it - dual/triple heads with offsets vs multiple feeds into a single crucible. After much phaffing, you may stick to a single feed.

G-Code is not too nasty - and you can even whip really basic shapes in Paint-3D. Thingiverse FTW.

AliExpress for all your nozzle/teflon tube/heater needs.
Old 19th May 2022, 16:05     #43194
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Do you have a specific need for it, or are you just curious and buying as a toy?

I've got an Up Mini, but it stays in the box in storage, and I haven't used it in ages. The company is good for support - they've sent me free replacement parts and answered questions when I was printing my robot. I'm keeping it as a "nice to have", but if I dropped it and it smashed, or someone stole it, I probably wouldn't buy another 3D printer.
Old 19th May 2022, 20:23     #43195
wazza
*flex*

boss offered me a promotion yesterday. winning.
Old 19th May 2022, 22:18     #43196
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Must be that good karma - or you're a hard worker. One of those :P Congrats.
Old 20th May 2022, 07:16     #43197
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Oh - and a wild assumption that you were looking at filament based additive printing. A joker at the pub swears by UV resin based ones - but the volumetric sizing is limited by the draw depth and screen size - cartesian/rostok printers seem to be only limited by the size of the frame you can build (if not off the shelf). Resin seems to have a much smoother output than with PLA/ABS filament.

There are ways of smoothing PLA with acetone clouds but I haven't had the need so far.

The danger of a cartesian kit is that you'll see how easy it is to build stuff with t-bar 20x20 extrusion, and you end up down the path of a printer, laser, mini cnc-mill, drawing robot...
Old 20th May 2022, 08:28     #43198
Redneck

RIP Vangelis

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...de-runner-dies

What an absolute legend.
Old 20th May 2022, 10:12     #43199
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Do you have a specific need for it, or are you just curious and buying as a toy?
I'm looking at making hand/finger splints, and getting creative with it. So a specific need at this point, but only if it makes sense. Might look at selling them so I'll take into consideration ROI, cost of consumables etc too.

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys
Old 20th May 2022, 10:13     #43200
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
RIP Vangelis

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...de-runner-dies

What an absolute legend.
Conquest will play tonight and stir the boys on as always.