Password

Old 10th August 2008, 13:35     #2081
chiQ
Frag-muff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
WTF is a warning label going to do?
*shrug* Maybe make people more aware that they won't be so readily heard as they would be in a conventional vehicle? I think that's the general idea behind it anyway.
Old 10th August 2008, 13:55     #2082
CCS
Stunt Pants

Point of interest: there was nothing in that article about a label.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:02     #2083
Lightspeed

I saw an odd thing in the paper the other day. A bloke running a dairy for 23 years believes that when the Government modifies the law so that he can no long sell alcohol as he has for the past ~4 years his dairy will go out of business.

So what changed in those four years that makes running a dairy non-viable? Or has the dairy owner just become accustomed to the additional profits and doesn't want to run a dairy at the profits he made for the initial 20 years of operation.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:09     #2084
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

maybe his dairly doesnt sell anything else? especially true if in the middle of nowhere where the people that do frequent his shop are drunkards.
Old 10th August 2008, 17:15     #2085
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
maybe the health warning is an amp + speaker arrangement that pipes loud car engine noises while moving, and a cartoon squeaky brakes sound when it comes to a stop.
Awesome. I want the soundtrack from a Vantage V8 coming from my Mazda - that'd be mint!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th August 2008, 17:50     #2086
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
maybe the health warning is an amp + speaker arrangement that pipes loud car engine noises while moving, and a cartoon squeaky brakes sound when it comes to a stop.
You mean something like this?
Old 10th August 2008, 18:17     #2087
Jonas Undrawing

hah yeap. cars will make brrm brrm noises forever. Hybrid cars should also play DSDOROPN when people enter or exit the vehicle.

Last edited by Jonas Undrawing : 10th August 2008 at 18:20.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:54     #2088
crocos

Heh, you're chronically geeky Jonas

Door sound door open indeed.

Old 11th August 2008, 01:19     #2089
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I saw an odd thing in the paper the other day. A bloke running a dairy for 23 years believes that when the Government modifies the law so that he can no long sell alcohol as he has for the past ~4 years his dairy will go out of business.

So what changed in those four years that makes running a dairy non-viable? Or has the dairy owner just become accustomed to the additional profits and doesn't want to run a dairy at the profits he made for the initial 20 years of operation.
I only skimmed the article so I'm not sure if they pointed this out, but you can't sell alcohol at a 'dairy' in NZ anyway. All they (Govt? Police? LLA?) are wanting to do is define that better. Currently, all sorts of tiny little dairies start calling themselves 'marts' or something, to get their liquor licenses. Some of them, (the ones that are typically alligned to a bigger chain like 4Squares, StarMarts, Night&Day's or City Stops), are already probably big enough to still be allowed (100 square metres?), and your little Patel run corner store shouldn't have been allowed to in the first place.

FWIW, I personally don't think this is going to have any affect on the drinking problems in New Zealand, but it's not a terrible place to start.
Old 11th August 2008, 07:36     #2090
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

I think the upshot is that since alcohol was allowed to be sold in superettes (1999?) margins on cigarettes have dropped significantly with greater regulation on product placement and advertising - in effect, they have very little margin on the majority of products, and the booze was a wlecome earner.

But overall, it's the price of progress. Ask the local Milky how things are now since most milk comes from the supermarkets (with there awesome 4c off petrol coupons) - the small operators are being edged out, trying to cling on to anything they can.
Old 11th August 2008, 08:41     #2091
Redneck

i have two local dairies, neither of them sell booze
Old 11th August 2008, 09:20     #2092
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
i have two local dairies
You're an Indian dairy mogul?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:11     #2093
Redneck

Yes. Yes I am.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:20     #2094
p01s0n

Im picturing some sort of scrooge mcduck scene only instead of swimming in CASH MONEY hes swimming in a giant vault of 5c lollies.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:14     #2095
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You're an Indian dairy mogul?
Nah, Muslim, not Hindu: No alcohol.

Redneck is a dirty Arab.

Old 11th August 2008, 11:31     #2096
StN
I have detailed files

So that Cure song was about a beachfront dairy holdup then?
Old 11th August 2008, 15:52     #2097
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

a 20'ish year old guy was just outside my workplace window, staggering around dodging cars, trying to spray liquid at peoples windscreens, and then attempting to get in position to squeegee said liquid off said windscreen without dying. he did very well, considering his state. sadly, no video, else this would be in video of the day thread. i tried, but his ether trip wore off too quickly.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:05     #2098
MadMax
Stuff

used to be a guy in palmy doing that. either the council or the police moved him along. according to what was my local dairy where he changed all his coin he was making a fair packet.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:12     #2099
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Nah, Muslim, not Hindu: No alcohol.

Redneck is a dirty Arab.
How many Muslim dairy owners have you seen?
Old 11th August 2008, 19:07     #2100
Redneck

Not many, but some muslims up the road run a cake and curry shop.

Cake and curry - together at last
Old 11th August 2008, 19:08     #2101
CCS
Stunt Pants

Do you see them as competition to your dairy empire? Or more of a complement?
Old 11th August 2008, 19:16     #2102
Redneck

of course they're a threat, i mean it's cake and fucken curry! how i am supposed to compete with that?
Old 11th August 2008, 19:29     #2103
Jonas Undrawing

cigarettes and booze, of course.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:30     #2104
Redneck

Ah yes.....!

/beardstroke
Old 11th August 2008, 19:35     #2105
Jonas Undrawing

ice cream in wafflecones. Have a huge old iron that takes up half the shop, and start it up first thing in the morning, get a huge fan blowing out the door and make the whole neighbourhood stink of waffles. That's the way.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:15     #2106
Haydos

At what point in time does Brad just come home and say "Bitch, eat yo self a cheese burger. Fuck, eat four"
Old 11th August 2008, 20:31     #2107
CCS
Stunt Pants

Never. He says "Damn bitch, you're looking tubby after those twins. Have some cocaine. HAVE IT."
Old 12th August 2008, 07:09     #2108
Rivertrog

I'm up at 7am again...
Old 12th August 2008, 07:40     #2109
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

7am isn't bad. 5am is shit. Not that I have to get up at 5am, but if I did, I might be complaining about it.
.. bah, young people .. when I was young, we didn't have clocks, we had alarmed sundials ..
Old 12th August 2008, 07:55     #2110
leadinjector

7am is asleep in for me... seriously, i just hate sleeping. wish i didnt have to do it
Old 12th August 2008, 08:08     #2111
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertrog
I'm up at 7am again...
Why don't you sleep in for 10 minutes more rather than getting up at 7, hoping straight onto NZGames, and posting that you got up at 7
Old 12th August 2008, 08:28     #2112
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

gotta love 10am starts
Old 12th August 2008, 08:43     #2113
StN
I have detailed files

Pissed off with parking?

Quote:
"It's obviously a male without prostate issues."

"He pees up the air in a big arc so it goes in the coin slot and out the hole where people collect their tickets. It's absolutely disgusting."
Old 12th August 2008, 08:47     #2114
Plague
www.parasite.net.nz

Quote:
I'm up at 7am again...
You are puny and weak!
Old 12th August 2008, 08:48     #2115
Rivertrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Why don't you sleep in for 10 minutes more rather than getting up at 7, hoping straight onto NZGames, and posting that you got up at 7
Because I got up at 6, had a shower, food, then turned on the computer.
Old 12th August 2008, 09:06     #2116
Rivertrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague
You are puny and weak!
so's your mum.
Old 12th August 2008, 09:09     #2117
xor

Quote:
so's your mum.
After I punish her with my skin flute
Old 12th August 2008, 10:08     #2118
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Hahaha! I just love the way he darts off after he's done the deed.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:11     #2119
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

And yet tries to look oh-so-casual while he's doing it ..
Old 12th August 2008, 10:13     #2120
Haydos

CCS - this is the ONE situation you could complain that "NZ has shit fucking news, why is the fact that a guy chooses to piss on a parking meter national news? How fucking stupid" etc etc..

And you don't?

You ARE a monkeyfart.