NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th September 2008, 21:35     #3561
Mickey

LOL no crocos, but wayyyy back then passports lasted for ten years, mine had 8 months till expiry, got married at 24. I really really wanted a new one for the honeymoon.
Old 29th September 2008, 21:39     #3562
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
At the expense of breaking the woman's (perceived) family tie?

So Ms Smith marries Mr Blogg, and after the wedding Ms Smith has to drop her Smith last name and take up Blogg's family name.

I say everybody keep their last names. For their kids, the last name can be a compound Blogg-Smith or Smith-Blogg. (I know some people do this.)
Would get kinda confusing in a few generations when people have eight hyphenated last names etc. I look at it as my parents gave me my first name and my husband gave me my surname. My brother wanted me to make maiden name as a middle name, for some reason it bugged him more than it did me.
Old 29th September 2008, 21:40     #3563
caffiend

o_O

Welcome to our newest member, debra.

Haydos/Vexing/debra?
Old 29th September 2008, 21:48     #3564
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I say everybody keep their last names. For their kids, the last name can be a compound Blogg-Smith or Smith-Blogg. (I know some people do this.)
Typically snobs who think their shit doesn't stink.
Old 29th September 2008, 21:52     #3565
caffiend

And what happens when John Smith-Blogg marries Jane Blogg-Smith? Are their kids called James and Janice Smith-Blogg-Blogg-Smith?
Old 29th September 2008, 21:59     #3566
doppelgänger of someone

I'm sure the parents can work something out that doesn't punish the kid with ultra long last names.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:02     #3567
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Yup. I have a hypenated married name, any kids we have will just have my husbands surname. That way I keep my identity, and any kids won't suffer the consequences.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:02     #3568
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Yeah, sticking to taking the man's.

It's just an identifier, not an identity.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:22     #3569
TnT

My wife was on about changing a file extension on a file she needed. My reply was 'look it's like a deed poll right. Just because you change the name, doesn't change who you are'. Then Photoshop proceeded to prove me completely wrong. Why is that application such a pig?
Old 29th September 2008, 22:24     #3570
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT
My wife was on about changing a file extension on a file she needed. My reply was 'look it's like a deed poll right. Just because you change the name, doesn't change who you are'. Then Photoshop proceeded to prove me completely wrong. Why is that application such a pig?
Adobe

nuf said

Old 29th September 2008, 22:49     #3571
CCS
Stunt Pants

Cheesy grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
And what happens when John Smith-Blogg marries Jane Blogg-Smith? Are their kids called James and Janice Smith-Blogg-Blogg-Smith?
Blogg it, motherfucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Welcome to our newest member, debra.

Haydos/Vexing/debra?
Spambot!
Old 29th September 2008, 22:55     #3572
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Blogg it, motherfucker.
James and Janice Bloggit-Motherfucker.

Has a nice ring to it.
Old 30th September 2008, 06:46     #3573
chiQ
Frag-muff

Why not just go with whichever is cooler? Lets wipe out the stink names!

I stuck with my own name for a couple of years after we got married, and then my mother pointed out that BaM's surname was cooler than mine, and I agreed. I've taken his name now.
Old 30th September 2008, 08:12     #3574
[Malks] Pixie

We've had to think about the entire name thing ourselve and unfortunatly either of us taking the others surname makes our currents names a form of bad alliteration - so we're going to keep our names as they are.

Any boys we have will take my name, any girls my partners and either way they'll get too choose which they want to keep when they get to the age where they can legally change their name.

Hyphenation just doesn't work with our names either - makes us sound like some deformed upper class English tossers.

Pixie
Old 30th September 2008, 08:17     #3575
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Yup. I have a hypenated married name, any kids we have will just have my husbands surname. That way I keep my identity, and any kids won't suffer the consequences.
You freak.

I took my wife's name - as a means to pissing off my father. It worked.
Old 30th September 2008, 09:41     #3576
Draco T Bastard

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10534881
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Adnan Oktar's "call to all evolutionists" promises "10 trillion Turkish lira to anyone who produces a single intermediate-form fossil demonstrating evolution" - a sum roughly equal to $11.7 trillion.
Well, I hope some scientists are on the ball because I believe such a fossil was found last year.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:24     #3577
CCS
Stunt Pants

Heh, that's a funny link
Old 30th September 2008, 10:40     #3578
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
You freak.

I took my wife's name - as a means to pissing off my father. It worked.
told you i was hardcore
Old 30th September 2008, 10:56     #3579
crocos

Quote:
You freak.

I took my wife's name...
Sometimes I think - were I to marry - it'd have to be a pretty bad surname for me to not take my future wife's surname. GOT to be less common, bland and annonymous than my current surname, although it's not BAD as such... just bland:

"A Smith, actually." /Hugo Weaving

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th September 2008, 10:58     #3580
Haydos

I had a pair of friends who when they got married, took their own surname - i.e decided on what they wanted their surname to be and had it legally authorised as their married name.

Their idea was that they were creating their own lineage - but with surnames as bad as both of them had, god be damned for them.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:45     #3581
CCS
Stunt Pants

New evidence of Martian water
New 10:58AM Tuesday Sep 30, 2008
Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Nasa's Phoenix spacecraft has discovered two minerals on Mars that suggest water was there in the past.

Scientists report that the minerals - calcium carbonate and sheet silicate - don't usually form without the presence of liquid water.

Phoenix landed in the Martian arctic plains in May on a three-month mission to study whether the environment could be friendly to microbial life. One of its main goals is to probe whether the ice ever melted.

Nasa recently extended the mission through the end of the year, depending on whether Phoenix can survive that long.
It is part of God's plan! ?

!!
Old 30th September 2008, 13:45     #3582
chiQ
Frag-muff

I find having changed my name to be jolly handy for a few minor things. For example, if someone calls asking for me by my old name I immediately ask who they are, because it sets off alarms. If they're not someone I want to talk to I can say honestly that they should update their records to show that there is nobody by that name at this number.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:56     #3583
StN
I have detailed files

Big house for copping a feel

Dirty little windscreen washer...
Old 30th September 2008, 13:58     #3584
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol, sounds like the window washer and all of his family are a bunch of losers. And he's passed his loser genes onto 7 kids! It's a shame that it's too late to suggest he become sterilsed in exchange for not going to prison...
Old 30th September 2008, 14:04     #3585
Torka

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...9&provider=top
Quote:
DENVER (AP) - A mother accused of performing oral sex on her toddler son and e-mailing photos of it to a friend has been charged with sexual assault and incest.

Police say 31-year-old Alicia Lee of Denver sent the pictures to a friend, who forwarded them to the 2-year-old boy's father. The father then called police.

According to a copy of the e-mail reported by the Rocky Mountain News, the mom told her friend in April that she thought about the sex act while changing the boy's diapers. The next day, she sent a photo of the act to a friend and said the boy giggled.

The child was placed in foster care last month. Lee is free on $50,000 bond and is due again in court Monday.
what the fuck, humans
Old 30th September 2008, 14:06     #3586
crocos

Such a loving mother

Old 30th September 2008, 14:11     #3587
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Such a loving mother
lol
Old 30th September 2008, 14:40     #3588
Draco T Bastard

http://www.stuff.co.nz/vote08/0a28758.html

Whack a poll.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:42     #3589
Haydos

What she thought was probably harmless fun, was a moment in complete utter ignorance and stupidity which will probably cost her a normal relationship with her son due to her name now being in the press, having done that to her child.

Judge should have had more sensibility and at least granted name suppression for the good of the child.

edit: Yes, I know she's so fucked in the head that "normal relationship with her son" probably seems like a complete oxymoron at this point... but you get the point.

Last edited by Haydos : 30th September 2008 at 14:44.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:45     #3590
caffiend

Quote:
Judge should have had more sensibility and at least granted name suppression for the good of the child.
100% agreed.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:12     #3591
IceFox

Someone should look at public notices and send a cv already ffs!
Old 30th September 2008, 16:49     #3592
Baal

I feel like something has been missing for the last few hours.
Old 30th September 2008, 16:52     #3593
Nightcrawler

Cheesy grin

Congratulations
You have won a double pass to the Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards on Wednesday 8th October!!!

Weeeee
Old 30th September 2008, 16:57     #3594
Helious

Thumbs up

nice, that's pretty cool
Old 30th September 2008, 17:56     #3595
MadMax
Stuff

my other half found two $50 notes at a bank's atm today. she's taken it home and now i have to return it :/

... cept do i return it to the bank, who of course will claim it as theirs, or if i take it to the popo station will they do the hold it till claimed thing or send me back to the bank, anyway?
Old 30th September 2008, 17:59     #3596
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
I feel like something has been missing for the last few hours.
ask ccs
Old 30th September 2008, 18:00     #3597
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
my other half found two $50 notes...
At the ATM? This implies that someone dropped them, so they DON'T belong to the Bank.

I'd go to the po-po, and if they're not claimed after so many weeks/months/(however long it is) YOU get them.

Old 30th September 2008, 18:04     #3598
MadMax
Stuff

well, i'd expect the police to contact the bank and have them check who was at the machine before my wife but of course they're more likely to tell me to bugger off and take it to the bank so they don't have to do any work.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:07     #3599
Helious

I'd approach the bank over the police imo

you'll get the end result quicker, much quicker.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:08     #3600
crocos

The reason I said go to the police was as it happened to me before; found $60, handed into the cops, wasn't an issue. A few months of it being with the Lost & Found department then I got a call to pick it up. Sorted + clean consience ;-)