NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th June 2007, 09:49     #1
BloodDonor

Snow!

Got a good dump of snow last night here in Wanaka...

About time too...

Old 8th June 2007, 10:14     #2
[BT]Monza

Really need some on Ruapehu, looking at past trends we should have something by now...
Old 8th June 2007, 11:09     #3
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Looking at the webcams it looks like there's some snow at turoa.

and...

Quote:
WE HAVE SOME SNOW (AND MORE ON THE WAY) - Updated 6 June

Winter is definitely here. Temperatures have noticably dropped in the last few days and and the wet weather around the base area has meant snow up higher.

The even better news is that the freezing level will be dropping over the next few days, making conditions ideal for snowmaking. We'll keep you posted and put up some piccies for you when the snow guns start firing.
From http://www.mtruapehu.com/default_winter.asp

Last edited by Noodles : 8th June 2007 at 11:11.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:22     #4
[BT]Monza

yeah, saw those but not getting hopes up for opening weekend next weekend... Just a bit worrying how late this snow is.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:35     #5
nostrom0

Hopefully there is more snow this year down in Queenstown. Didn't snow once when I was down there last year...
Old 8th June 2007, 12:09     #6
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

She'll be comin' around the mountain, when she comes.
Old 8th June 2007, 15:26     #7
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
We have serious snow falling to below the base areas at Whakapapa and Turoa right now. It has been snowing on the upper mountain almost all week and has now cooled down enough to bring snow to the lower mountain. The even better news is that there is perfect snowmaking weather in the forecast for the weekend - cold and dry. Bring on opening day!
yus!
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:58     #8
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Queenstown isolated, more snow moving north
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:12     #9
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

is it wrong that I take great joy in the fact that farmers and stuff get snowed in?
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:16     #10
MoP

Haha.. my flatmates picked an ace time to drive down to Alexandria & Dunedin :P
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:39     #11
bradman

Heres a couple of piks from Arrowtown yesterday...

...brrrr
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:41     #12
StN
I have detailed files

Thats a long trip - does your flatmate have an Aquada?
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:46     #13
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Great pics bman!
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:49     #14
Helious

Topic - Snow!

Lives in Kandallah~
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:49     #15
nostrom0

Cool photos, there wasn't one bit of snow in Arrowtown last year when I went there, mind you that was the end of August. I'm hoping the snow will be a lot later this year.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:00     #16
MoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Thats a long trip - does your flatmate have an Aquada?
AHhaa.. oops I meant Alexandra :P

I expect Alexandria is quite nice right about now
Old 23rd June 2007, 16:32     #17
BloodDonor

i so need a digital camera... lots of snow in Wanaka

Old 27th June 2007, 10:49     #18
xus

Looks like all of Ruapehu will be opened in the next few days once the winds die down

My partner just came across this website which is sponsored by ACC.
http://www.snowsmart.co.nz/

It helps you get 'fit' for skiing/boarding. Last winter was my partners first season and she found her ankles were getting really painful after a days riding. Hopefully some of the stuff here will be of help this winter I know I should do more before the season starts too!

Can't wait to get down to the snow for the first time, may bite the bullet and book some accommodation in a couple weeks time.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:35     #19
nostrom0

Had a run at snowplanet last night, my first time going there. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good to get in some runs before Queenstown
Old 27th June 2007, 11:42     #20
DRa1N

Nice pics, I am now free and do not have to go to aussie anymore, Lake Tahoe here we come!
Old 27th June 2007, 11:46     #21
Lat1n0

Will havce to be one of the best years for the Ski season aye!
Old 27th June 2007, 12:52     #22
Baal

Looking forward to getting there. I note that there's no upper mountain open either side yet.
Old 27th June 2007, 23:29     #23
Rocket

man i love arrow town
Old 28th June 2007, 10:41     #24
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRa1N
Nice pics, I am now free and do not have to go to aussie anymore, Lake Tahoe here we come!
Luckily the fires ravaging south lake tahoe arn't on any ski-able mountains

You must go to Kirkwood, and you must ride the wave (you'll see what I mean if you go there).
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:01     #25
Baal

Ruapehu is losing snow to the rain :P Starting to think hedging my bets and not getting a season pass might have been the way to go.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:04     #26
[BT]Monza

yeah not the best start but the snow will come eventually and you only need 5 days to break even on season pass
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:06     #27
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Hope there's a bit of snow and not just slush by wed/thurs or I'll probably flag going up. Where does everyone stay up at ruapehu when they got up for a night or two?
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:36     #28
yem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Ruapehu is losing snow to the rain
Metservice says snow above 1500m all this week, lowering on Friday. I'll be there this weekend.
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:07     #29
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

hoping to take the kids up for the first time this weekend - they don't know yet, but the oldest is getting suspicious
Old 8th July 2007, 10:30     #30
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

they loved it...
Old 8th July 2007, 21:14     #31
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Melon
Hope there's a bit of snow and not just slush by wed/thurs or I'll probably flag going up. Where does everyone stay up at ruapehu when they got up for a night or two?
Lodge on whakapapa = win

Powderhorn for turoa = win
Old 8th July 2007, 21:28     #32
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Lodge on whakapapa = win
Really? Mt rd was closed Friday night, even if your car was 4WD.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:30     #33
Nightcrawler

Heading to Turoa tomorrow - staying at a chalet in Oakune (sp)

Should be ok, the fields have steadily been opening (pretty much all of us are noobs, so lower mountain ftw)
Old 8th July 2007, 21:34     #34
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Never had that trouble in all of the 4 years I've used it. Get there early morning, park up, board all day, board back to lodge, hot shower, dinner, sleep, wake up, board all day and go home.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:45     #35
[BT]Monza

Yeah, have to admit that was a rare occasion. We usually stay somewhere in National Park, (Howard's, Plateau or Adventure Lodge usually) then only 15 min drive to car park.

Had two full days at Whakapapa this weekend, more snow than I thought but another metre would be fantastic. Queues horrendous which is a combination of school holidays, mint weather and less than half the rides open.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:49     #36
neonz

Quote:
Went up on Saturday morning 8am'ish was very very icy, had to be 4WD or chains. Today was better no ice on road... that I happened to drive across

But a great two days!!!!!
Old 10th July 2007, 11:52     #37
yem

Quote:
When we got there about 11pm, half a dozen cars were parked below the barrier - some had been waiting since 7pm for a break in the weather. Officials were mainly worried about visibility I think - it was much worse up the top than below. About 11:30pm they did a convoy of 4WD vehicles following a grader up the road. We got a lift (with only the gear we could carry) in an RAL truck that was following the convoy. Got out at the top in total darkness, snow, ice and lacking boots, snowpants, gloves. Took about 15 mins to climb the 20m slope to the lodge on frozen hands and knees. That was unpleasant..

Saturday was clear and fine. Got a lift down the road to collect our cars and skiied the afternoon + Sunday. Had a great time. Click for big:

Old 10th July 2007, 14:26     #38
Jenza

What's this white stufffff?
Old 17th July 2007, 11:46     #39
Baal

Not bad for a cellphone camera shot!

Saturday up Turoa was crap. Terrible snow conditions (wiped so much on ice I nearly called it a day). Sunday the groomers actually got their shit together and you could barrel down from the top of 6 seater to the bottom of the giant at top speed all day.

The new lift is teh sex.

Still needs more snow though as the outer fields and offtrail are pretty rocky and hard to access.
Old 19th July 2007, 16:00     #40
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

heh.. i didnt go snowboarding (wanted to tho), but headed up to mt cook to partake in some stoner mischief. breathtaking scenery. and the rocky streams are fun to throw rocks in