NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th November 2008, 15:05     #8001
Ajax
Architeuthis

Metal Storm chews through the ammo far too quickly to be useful in a zombie apocalypse situation, unless you had a ute-load of ammo. I would pick something fairly small, light and maneuverable in tight spaces, like an M4 carbine. There's no way I'd pick a shotgun.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:07     #8002
p01s0n

Having a new head of department host a big meeting to set out his goals for the role etc. Starting off the presentation with "i like to keep it short and to the point, no 'death by powerpoint' heh heh" then having everyone sit through an hour long powerpoint presentation complete with really hard to read text and confusing charts.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:11     #8003
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Metal Storm chews through the ammo far too quickly to be useful in a zombie apocalypse situation, unless you had a ute-load of ammo. I would pick something fairly small, light and maneuverable in tight spaces, like an M4 carbine. There's no way I'd pick a shotgun.
I'm pretty sure you can slow it down if you need to, being computer controlled and all
Old 19th November 2008, 15:18     #8004
CCS
Stunt Pants

What happens when it runs out of batteries? Just carry around additional batteries as well as the ammunition you're already carrying?
Old 19th November 2008, 15:20     #8005
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm pretty sure you can slow it down if you need to, being computer controlled and all
If you dial down its key feature (extreme rate of fire) there's no particular reason to choose it.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:20     #8006
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What happens when it runs out of batteries? Just carry around additional batteries as well as the ammunition you're already carrying?
It's not a hand-held weapon - it's an emplacement gun, so presumably you'd have some diesel generators on the go.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th November 2008, 15:22     #8007
Lightspeed

The electricity is only the firing mechanism. A gun ship could be powered by a couple of D cell batteries.

The weapon can be hand held, however I think the amount of ammo you'd have to fire before it ran out of batteries would be pretty extreme.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:27     #8008
Redneck

Quote:
If you dial down its key feature (extreme rate of fire) there's no particular reason to choose it.
The point is you don't have to spit all the bullets out in one single, highest-possible-ROF burst

And yeah - there are handheld versions
Old 19th November 2008, 16:11     #8009
Baal

Quote:
It's not just about killing efficiency, it's about looking cool as well.

Notice how the 'military' guy always dies in a zombie movie? It's because he wasn't paying attention to the X factor.

Nothing says I'm killing zombies like a pump action shotgun.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:14     #8010
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
It's not a hand-held weapon - it's an emplacement gun, so presumably you'd have some diesel generators on the go.
That's interesting, although an emplacement gun is not that useful for zombies...

What I was referring to was the gun in the picture in the article, which is handheld. The article also refers to a 'Family of Weapons' so presumably the handheld version is one in the family of weapons and the emplacement gun is another variation.

So what I'm saying, is, like... What, you're powering the handheld version with a battery? Or are you going to drag a diesel generator around behind you?
Old 19th November 2008, 16:16     #8011
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
Having a new head of department host a big meeting to set out his goals for the role etc. Starting off the presentation with "i like to keep it short and to the point, no 'death by powerpoint' heh heh" then having everyone sit through an hour long powerpoint presentation complete with really hard to read text and confusing charts.
One hour of slides is short in some corporate people's mindsets. I've sat through many longer ones... in fact I've delivered longer ones myself. Although mine were interesting and amusing as well as entirely relevant, engaging and informative.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:17     #8012
xor

Gay annoying people
Old 19th November 2008, 16:20     #8013
caffiend

You mean like Graham Norton? I agree.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:42     #8014
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
That's interesting, although an emplacement gun is not that useful for zombies...
i dunno.. an mg42 might do a cracking job
Old 19th November 2008, 16:44     #8015
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
You mean like Graham Norton? I agree.
nah, the angry variety
Old 19th November 2008, 16:46     #8016
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

actually, this GMG: gay men running right in the middle of the roads in the domain, tied together with a love chain. i kid you not.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:47     #8017
xor

pics or it didn't happen
Old 19th November 2008, 16:56     #8018
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of artillery. Great for fucking things up on a large scale, not so great for the dozen zombies coming right at ya
Old 19th November 2008, 17:05     #8019
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Again, it's the Metalstorm argument. The main advantage of an MG42 is the rate of fire. Who gives a fuck? I'm gonna go with the pump action shotty, preferably with "BAD MOTHERFUCKER" engraved on the stock, because then it meets CCS's X-factor requirement.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:06     #8020
Ajax
Architeuthis

The harsh reality is that guns would be like gold dust in a zombie outbreak. Most of us schmucks would be running around with kitchen knives, crowbars, hammers, and other impromptu household weapons. We'd be doomed
Old 19th November 2008, 17:12     #8021
Baal

Depends on the type of zombie.

e.g.

Dead Rising - easy mode
Living Dead - medium
That Movie With Will Smith Whose Name Escapes me Right Now - You're Fucked
Old 19th November 2008, 17:13     #8022
CCS
Stunt Pants

Don't underestimate chainsaws and, at a pinch, a hedge trimmer. Perhaps not a weedwhacker though.

But this is why I suggested that one of the things covered on the Discovery Zombie shows could be Killing Zombies With Found Items. Eg, you're inside, zombies are outside. If you can get onto the roof with a big potplant with one of those heavy clay pots, you could probably drop it on a zombie head and may be able to take it out.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:13     #8023
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Most of us schmucks would be running around with kitchen knives, crowbars, hammers, and other impromptu household weapons. We'd be doomed
As Ash and Lionel will atest, the best stuff is from the shed.

/edit - Doh - pipped by CCS by the pics.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:14     #8024
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
That Movie With Will Smith Whose Name Escapes me Right Now - You're Fucked
Yeah but they can't come out in the daylight. Big advantage there. Just hide out in a port-a-potty with a shotgun until dawn.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:17     #8025
?>Superman

Devil grin

Quote:
The harsh reality is that guns would be like gold dust in a zombie outbreak. Most of us schmucks would be running around with kitchen knives, crowbars, hammers, and other impromptu household weapons. We'd be doomed
I eagerly await the zombie apocalypse
Old 19th November 2008, 19:14     #8026
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So what I'm saying, is, like... What, you're powering the handheld version with a battery? Or are you going to drag a diesel generator around behind you?
I would have assumed something like a Lithium Ion battery is inside the gun powering the firing mechanism - is there any reason you would think this is impractical?
Old 19th November 2008, 19:20     #8027
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm pretty sure batteries have to be recharged at some point... seems impractical to me.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:51     #8028
dead goon

cut myself last night on a very sharpe knife. blood pumping out and all the rest.
finger feels numb, i think i cut a nerve. pwnd.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:35     #8029
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeah but they can't come out in the daylight. Big advantage there. Just hide out in a port-a-potty with a shotgun until dawn.
The problem with the I Am Legend zombies is they are SMART. Remember how the dog-master one staked out the dummy from the video-store where Will Smith's character would find it, including setting a trap? Something tells me a mere port-a-potty wouldn't suffice.

Old 19th November 2008, 22:38     #8030
CCS
Stunt Pants

You think the zombies might try to tempt you out of the port-a-potty with a dog?
Old 19th November 2008, 22:42     #8031
crocos

Hell no - they'd just tear it, and you (as I wouldn't be silly enough to hide in the potty) to pieces.

Old 19th November 2008, 22:54     #8032
Reformed_Quint

Its been said before, it will be said again: Ideal weapon for zombies is....

No maintenance, No jamming, good stopping power, auto when you need it, semi when you want to be frugal and a m203 under over for when you want to fuck some shit uuuuuuuuuup.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:59     #8033
Hurtuso

^^ no maintenance, no jamming, omg like woteva. I like the sound, it goes 'BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG' whereas 5.56 goes 'bang, bang, bang, bang'. MG42 goes 'BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG' + looks well hard. MG42 mean as choice
Old 19th November 2008, 23:01     #8034
Reformed_Quint

I've used Steyrs and M4s, jamming is the fucking devil, especially steyrs... fucking CHRONIC for jamming.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:03     #8035
Redneck

Compromise and grab a Saiga-12
Old 19th November 2008, 23:03     #8036
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Steyrs
Plastic shitty crap, yeah?

Old 19th November 2008, 23:06     #8037
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Plastic shitty crap, yeah?
Lots of double feeding and cross feeding (bolt partially picking up the round) they were the main problem. Second problem was the whole ballpup idea, good in theory, but the problem is, if you are wearing baggy clothes, and you are firing it from a lowered position the shells can sometimes eject get caught in the clothing and then fall back into the breach, jam.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:49     #8038
Asa

nzgames.
Old 20th November 2008, 02:59     #8039
Nightcrawler

The fact that I fucking loathe my flatmate who is also the friend who I spend most of my time with.

If he gets annoyed at you for any reason at all, you're suddenly pulled into a childish argument that can last days of him scowling and completely ignoring you. Regardless that he's the one who called you a "fucking dick" for not wanting to go with him while he runs errands (Yup. That's his latest reason for acting like a childish prick - astounding.)

I've rewritten this post five times now, and there's no way I can't make it sound like children squabbling over some stupid bullshit. This is how bad it is. We're 23 years old, and yet he reverts to the behaviour of a fucking 6 year old, and somehow drags you into it

Plan to move back home tomorrow. No doubt this will be another reason for him to through a tantrum.
Old 20th November 2008, 03:13     #8040
[WanG] Wandarah

this is the same fool as before? girlfriend, this dawg aint treatin' you right! you gotsta get out and get yoself another man!