NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 6th April 2015, 13:23     #3041
cyc
Objection!

There may/may not be logic to the closing of the police stations. The PR from the top brass is that in exchange we have more officers on the street. The Police Association (which is hardly the credible, independent voice for sense in law enforcement and justice issues that it pretends to be -- it's a trade union to advance the narrow interests of its members first and foremost) disagrees.

Who knows who's right? And whether the police's budget freeze is legitimate (in the sense that they have enough money to do what they need to do or that they need pressure to become more efficient) is not likely to be something that you can have an informed view on.

Nothing about this issue can legitimately be used as part of an even admittedly simplistic "LOL SHOWZ HOW FUCKING NATIONAL IS FUCKING UP THE ECONOMY" rant. Either make some sense or shut the fuck up.

Last edited by cyc : 6th April 2015 at 13:24.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:55     #3042
Lightspeed

I don't have much ability to influence the sense of made up arguments in your head I'm afraid.

The police are far from the only service struggling to "prioritise" their workload due to funding freezes. But hey, rockstar economy yo.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:11     #3043
cyc
Objection!

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I don't have much ability to influence the sense of made up arguments in your head I'm afraid.

The police are far from the only service struggling to "prioritise" their workload due to funding freezes. But hey, rockstar economy yo.
Oh stop your plausible deniability bullshit. Every politics-related post of yours is a fucking rant against "the other side". People here can actually fucking read and see from your history what kind of piece of shit you are.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:18     #3044
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Oh stop your plausible deniability bullshit. Every politics-related post of yours is a fucking rant against "the other side".
That's your imagining.

Quote:
People here can actually fucking read and see from your history what kind of piece of shit you are.
Indeed. In fact they can read both our histories...
Old 9th April 2015, 08:14     #3045
Lightspeed

Restaurant Brands calls time on zero hours

This is some good news.
Old 10th April 2015, 13:25     #3046
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Twitter seems to be going off today about Campbell Live. Why does anyone give a shit?
Old 10th April 2015, 13:39     #3047
xor

“Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!” Bill Hicks.

For me it's sad because as much as i didn't like John Campbell, he did bring 'some' things to light and discuss some relevant issues that affect New Zealanders.

There seems to be no media outlets highlighting the shenanigans of what's happening at the beehive, dodgy business dealings, genocidal maniacs running about the desert, overpriced housing market in Auckland, farmers polluting waterways, Big business paying fuck all tax, etc.

It's fucking scary to see the absolute apathy that New Zealand has on things that directly affect them!
Old 10th April 2015, 13:57     #3048
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

...and there's some necessity that a TV presenter has to make them think about this stuff?
Old 10th April 2015, 13:59     #3049
blynk

Well if you are getting rid of John Campbell, then you might as well get rid of Paul Henry.
Oh wait, he sits on the right.

I don't know how they could decide to can Campbell live but start a paul henry show.

I like an idea I heard on the radio this morning. TV3 should shorten the news to 30-40 minutes and then have a 20-30 minute Current affairs section.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:00     #3050
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
“Wake up sheeple!"
Old 10th April 2015, 14:15     #3051
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
...and there's some necessity that a TV presenter has to make them think about this stuff?
I was just answering your question, dude. I personally can't stand John Campbell.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:55     #3052
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

John Campbell's show isn't a public service, it's a product of a business. It's not making the business as much money as it used to and the business thinks it can make more money out of other products. Still not getting the uproar.
Old 10th April 2015, 15:07     #3053
Lightspeed

Change man, change.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:10     #3054
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
John Campbell's show isn't a public service, it's a product of a business. It's not making the business as much money as it used to and the business thinks it can make more money out of other products. Still not getting the uproar.
The fact you've posted this in Random Politics instead of, say, Random Thoughts suggests you have some idea of why twitter is foaming at the mouth
Old 10th April 2015, 16:27     #3055
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brown
Over on TV3, Campbell Live has the most journalistically able TV presenter in the country, probably the best current affairs producer of her generation, a stable, dedicated team and the oversight of the strongest and most enduring news manager of the modern TV era. While there have been some flat spells in its 10 years on screen, it has also reeled off a series of important, influential and long-running stories, and tugged its readers’ heartstrings the way TV current affairs should. By contrast to Seven Sharp, it holds on to most of its lead-in news viewers and occasionally does better.
True. But who the fuck watches TV anymore?
Old 10th April 2015, 16:35     #3056
Lightspeed

This is my thought too. TVNZ caters to boomers, who Hoskins panders to. TV3 caters to a generation for whom broadcast television is becoming irrelevant.
Old 10th April 2015, 19:41     #3057
pxpx

Quote:
TV3 caters to a generation for whom broadcast television is becoming irrelevant.
The poors?
Old 10th April 2015, 20:28     #3058
MadMax
Stuff

TV1 is more formal. Your Nana could watch it.
TV2 is for the kids. Home & Away, Neighbours and Shortland Street say it all.
TV3 tries to be to be more hip: has more movies, more Americanised crap. torrent that shit.
Old 10th April 2015, 22:06     #3059
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Twitter seems to be going off today about Campbell Live. Why does anyone give a shit?
Probably because it's better than any of the other retarded drivel in that timeslot?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th April 2015, 11:45     #3060
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So why are its viewing numbers diving through the floorboards?
Old 11th April 2015, 12:03     #3061
CCS
Stunt Pants

Because it's a conspiracy by John Key. It's an attack on democracy.
Old 11th April 2015, 12:53     #3062
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So why are its viewing numbers diving through the floorboards?
Cause a lot of us are all "remind me what a timeslot is again?"

The only time I usually keep in mind in the evening is the latest I can order dinner.
Old 11th April 2015, 14:26     #3063
fixed_truth

Quote:
But with new management at MediaWorks, the driving considerations have changed. Within the senior commercial world, it is said that when Mark Weldon applied for the top job at MediaWorks he drew on his relationship with Key and the public-spirited work he did outside of his prior role as chief executive of the stock exchange such as chairing an economic summit after the GFC to help build credibility for a role in a sector in which he had no prior experience.

He was also passionate about the role media could play in ensuring success of the broader New Zealand Inc.

The issue is whether his strong — and very loyal — relationship with Key has clouded his view as to the extent to which a strong media protagonist like Campbell should challenge a personal friend.
Well know lefty conspiracy theorist Fran O'Sullivan:

Valiant Campbell may have provoked political antagonists too often
Old 11th April 2015, 15:24     #3064
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck, getting challenged on Campbell Live was the best thing that ever happened to John Key. He fucking killed it.
Old 11th April 2015, 15:26     #3065
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
it is said that

The issue is whether

as to the extent to which
When I read phrases like that my passive-aggressive bullshit detector rages hard.
Old 11th April 2015, 15:31     #3066
CCS
Stunt Pants

"Weldon, first thing you must do is fire John Campbell. He has long been a thorn in my side." *steeples fingers*

"Yes sir. I will engineer a downward ratings trend by commanding Campbell to be even more of an unctuous twat than ever before."

"Excellent." *twirls moustache, strokes cat*
Old 13th April 2015, 16:28     #3067
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck, getting challenged on Campbell Live was the best thing that ever happened to John Key. He fucking killed it.
yeah, that was a little while ago now but i seem to recall campbell kinda... did poorly.
Old 29th April 2015, 12:27     #3068
Lightspeed

What's Hyde going on about?

Why am I under investigation?

Of note:

Quote:
My Christchurch friends and colleagues were served, some at home, some at work. They were summonsed by a senior insolvency officer who explained they could be apprehended should they refuse. Such notices are a detention, an arrest without charge.
They are interrogated by private investigators from a firm called InDepth Forensics, Hamilton.
Apparently private firms have the authority to detain without charge in NZ?
Old 29th April 2015, 12:57     #3069
crocos

The apprehension can only be done by police as far as I'm aware, and the misdemeanor crime is not obeying the court summons.

The only role the private party is filling here is serving the summons.

Old 29th April 2015, 12:57     #3070
crocos

D-d-d-doublepost!

Old 29th April 2015, 13:08     #3071
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The apprehension can only be done by police as far as I'm aware, and the misdemeanour crime is not obeying the court summons.

The only role the private party is filling here is serving the summons.
I see, very good.
Old 29th April 2015, 13:28     #3072
crocos

Actually having now read the article (rather than assuming it was a court summons like I did) it does sound suspect as all fuck.

Old 29th April 2015, 13:29     #3073
Lightspeed

Yes, I wonder what Hyde has got himself into?
Old 29th April 2015, 16:44     #3074
Lightspeed

I love this bit by the NZHerald.

How to live on an (upper middle class) budget:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11432379

A quality "everything's fine" article.
Old 29th April 2015, 16:54     #3075
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

JERNALISM!
Old 29th April 2015, 18:16     #3076
blynk

Its not political, but it relates to the herald having some wierd things.

Road rage poor reward for rescuing toddler
But then again, it is from Matt Heath. I can't be sure if this is real.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:41     #3077
pxpx

Quote:
I love this bit by the NZHerald.

How to live on an (upper middle class) budget:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11432379

A quality "everything's fine" article.
Wrong thread?

Ah I see blynk pointed that out too.
Old 30th April 2015, 02:36     #3078
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

When the fuck did tips and suggestions become life hacks?

There's only one hack in that article, which of course is the lummox that wrote it.
Old 30th April 2015, 08:34     #3079
Juju
get to da choppa

This is why we need something like blendle in NZ.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:34     #3080
Lightspeed

NZHerald have the articles from time to time. I don't think they're aimed those who would use such tips, but rather those who want to comfort themselves that those who are struggling are still able to get by if they just do the right thing.